Megalodonger

Character wipe...

So this is the 4th time my character gets wiped and im so sick of it, this bug should be one of the highest priorities for the developers. Its much more game breaking than bugs like; Zombies running through walls or something like that. What do you guys think? how many times have your character been reset? And in what cases does it usually happen? 

Please let me know =)

Edited by Megalodonger

I have never had a character wiped in 95 hours of playtime.

I know others who haven't either, and I think it is because we always play on the same server without hopping about. Some servers seem to screw with your character for whatever reason (bad setup, people tampering with files, who knows), and frequent changes between random servers could likely cause you to get wiped.

Just a theory, but might be worth looking into.

• Like 3

Pretty rare for me but it gas happened - are you sure you aren't being killed on log out? I see it happening allot to my friends that log out in unsafe areas

Never gotten wiped. I always play on the same servers hosted by the same people. Have a strict server switching rule. I don't trust other servers with weird names or look suspicious. 

Never had a character wipe either (140 hours), if you except that general database glitch some time ago, but that actually brought back a long dead character.

I suspect most of these threads are really caused by characters being killed while they are logging out.

Only ever seems to be the people who play on low pop servers that lose their characters.

There are no wipes.

There are only servers, that can't connect to the character server.

This means, that you can't load your character progression, so the game spawns a new character on the beach, but this obviously also means, that if you continue playing on this server, that can't load you progression, all your new progression will be lost when you stop playing, because if it can't connect to load, it can't connect to save either.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 7

There are no wipes.

There are only servers, that can't connect to the character server.

This means, that you can't load your character progression, so the game spawns a new character on the beach, but this obviously also means, that if you continue playing on this server, that can't load you progression, all your new progression will be lost when you stop playing, because if it can't connect to load, it can't connect to save either.

There you have it ladies and gentlemen, this man deserves his beans tonight.

I'm this --> <-- close to stickying this, but I think I'll just C+P Dallas' post everytime someone complains about wipes in the future.

Thanks Dallas, for explaining it in such a concise way.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 1

This is all I do: post about WarZ and character wipes.

I've got over 300 hours (yikes) and I've had my toon wiped maybe three times and it hasn't happened in a couple of months. I'm with some of the other posters, I would be willing to be you are getting killed somehow during the log out timer. 

Three things to consider before making rants

1) Log off in a safe place.  You are still in game for 30 seconds which means players and /or zombies can have their way with you

2) Check your server type Regular/Hardcore.  Each type saves to it's own hive.  

3) Check to make sure you are on stable as opposed to experimental.

• Like 1

Bought the game in Early-February. 156 Hours of playtime, had 2 fully kitted characters wiped. The first one happened back in March at Green Mountain. *Crazy place...* And the second one happened really recently like 3 days ago. I'll miss that M4A1 with all and the best attachments.

*Yes I logged out in safe places, I never play Hardcore. Stable server. -10 Players servers*

Edited by TheCookiemob59
  • Like 1

Are you sure you got wiped?

What do you do, when you join a server and think you're wiped, do you stay on the server or do you disconnect and try to join another server?

I have te same issue, i logged out with my friends in a room, we switch to another server and the game wipe my character, and my friends still have theirs...

Maybe you got robbed during logout ? As otehr said switching Servers often and joining "shady" ones seem to also Aide to loosing your char.

Best is to stick to a selection of 2-3 Servers really.

I think your "friends" killed you. Avenge yourself!

It's happened just once to me and it was exactly because I was on a dodgey server with a catchy name. I was all looted up and the sun went down, developed a strong hate for using a flashlight so I switched servers. It said something about the character was unable to be loaded so it was reset. Oh well, right back at it.

No, they didint kill me, and even when a server comes down my character gets wiped wile my friends still have theirs, and this didn`t happen to me 1 or 2 times, probabily it happen to me arround 20 times....

Until someone implements a log in the represented hive that denotes when you're killed so someone can go back for sure and show that they were killed after logging out, I'd like to see claims of "wipes don't happen" stop. Because by all first hand accounts they do, although I believe a good percentage of them are not actually wipes but poor judgement by not understanding a few things.

I had more problems with wipes when I would do the following:

1. Always search for a new server every time I logged in, I would never simply hit play.
  2. I would camp outdoors, where I assumed I was safe. <- this may be the biggest problem

Now I always:

1. Hit play first and check if the server I'm on has a population suitable to my mood.
  2. If I decide to switch servers I've got a list that I'm comfortable with that seem safe.
  3. Camp out on the 2nd or 3rd story of a building where zeds can't get me and where I'm sure there is noone.
  4. Sometimes I'll even wait 5 minutes or so before camping just to ensure I'm not being followed by a bandit or zed.

Camping outdoors is very dangerous because of wandering zeds and long range zed aggro. Heck, I had a fast zed follow me what seemed like most of the way from Berezino to Elektro once. Never assume you've outrun a zed and lost it's aggro, given their current unfinished status that would be extremely foolish.

• Like 1

Yup, just happened again to me today. Me and and bud logged out far from any settlements/zeds. We logged at the same time. Couple hours later we come back, he spawns up fine and I'm on a fresh spawn. Tried many different servers and all are the same fresh spawn. Most frustrating thing yet

Three things to consider before making rants

1) Log off in a safe place.  You are still in game for 30 seconds which means players and /or zombies can have their way with you

2) Check your server type Regular/Hardcore.  Each type saves to it's own hive.  

3) Check to make sure you are on stable as opposed to experimental.

this

• Like 1

Are you guys with frequent char resets in the Steam-beta program? I´ve unsubscribed the beta participation yesterday and at least i didn´t get wiped since then. But of course it is way too short for a final conclusion.

I know it doesn´t sound very promising, but telling people about different hives and safe logout over and over isn´t the solution aswell. I would say it´s worth a try.

the only thing that gets wiped is my ... 15 min after my morning coffee ....

• Like 1

the only thing that gets wiped is my ... 15 min after my morning coffee ....

Guess you are happy with it! So at least one thing that works like it should.................

So this is the 4th time my character gets wiped and im so sick of it, this bug should be one of the highest priorities for the developers. Its much more game breaking than bugs like; Zombies running through walls or something like that. What do you guys think? how many times have your character been reset? And in what cases does it usually happen? 

Please let me know =)

Send me a PM and I'll send you my Favorites list. It is the only sure way not to get wiped.