j.ekkerman

Dead players turn to zombies?

Me and a friend of mine had a suggestion. When a player dies, this certain player turns in a zombie. So every now and then you'll see a zombie with a mosin on it's back or a fire axe or something. Just an idea.

Also that you can loot that zombie so you have another chance for gear.

• Like 20

I would love to have both in game. You see a zombie and you realize he was a human a short time ago. Now you see that zombie still has a backpack ^^ go and loot. I think both the ideas will be reality sooner or later but for now there are other things to be done first. Vehicles, cooking, throwing - these systems are not easy to write and I will let devs make them done first 

• Like 2

I could understand the backpack, but a zombie would not keep hold of an axe or a mosin. 

Been suggested, also these arent your traditional zombies, they are infected humans, so they die like we do only slightly harder

• Like 3

The story behind DayZ (as confirmed by Hall himself) that the zombies are infected humans, not dead that have risen. Therefore this suggestion is implausible.

• Like 6

The story behind DayZ (as confirmed by Hall himself) that the zombies are infected humans, not dead that have risen. Therefore this suggestion is implausible.

Then let us get infected.

• Like 1

5th comment on a post like this;

WHY THE HECK WOULD ZOMBIES HAVE LOOT,

if you axe them, the items you will ''loot'' will get ruined anyway!

Then let us get infected.

For something like DayZ to be plausible it would need to be an airborne virus, or it would be contained before it got out of hand. The survivors are immune, hence not being infected already.

• Like 4

What I meant with 'having a mosin or axe' is when they have it on their back. And i mean mostly when killed by zombies or something like that. But we thought it would be nice.

Some things could be destroyed, but it could even be handy if we can only pick up some food or something.

DayZ zombies are not dead..they are not walking corpses like the Walking Dead, they are Infected psychopaths like 28 Days Later.

We have to assume that we as survivors are immune from the disease.

Different types of zombies though are a good, and often suggested, idea - hunters, priests, soldiers, cops, hookers, dwarfs, nurses, transvestites, Vladimir Putin, doctors and sailors would be great zombie skins to have included, but i think atm getting the zombies to behave better is a higher priority.

• Like 2

DayZ zombies are not dead..they are not walking corpses like the Walking Dead, they are Infected psychopaths like 28 Days Later.

We have to assume that we as survivors are immune from the disease.

Different types of zombies though are a good, and often suggested, idea - hunters, priests, soldiers, cops, hookers, dwarfs, nurses, transvestites, Vladimir Putin, doctors and sailors would be great zombie skins to have included, but i think atm getting the zombies to behave better is a higher priority.

I agree, but i think this is just for later. I dont think this should be high priority either, if they agree, but it's just a suggestion.

In the DayZ Epoch mod, you can turn into a Zed.   If you are infected when you die.. Not a bad idea.  :P

I do see that it's been said that the survivors are immune and can't really be infected, but from a purely gameplay perspective, having to kill your own zombie to recover your gear would add quite a bit of challenge and a punishment, that your gear could just run off and be taken by someone else, or that you might destroy it recovering it. It sounds more immersive and understandable than an aribtrary timer, too.

To follow zombie lore, players killed by zombies would reanimate as zombies. I like the idea of being able to loot player avatars that were fully geared when 'turned'.  

• Beans 1

I could understand the backpack, but a zombie would not keep hold of an axe or a mosin. 

It would if It was attached.  Players can't have the melee weapon AND the primary weapon out at the same time so at least one of them has to be on the backpack or invisibly strapped to the back.  I imagine it would be fairly complicated to keep track of which weapons they had out when they died so it would probably wind up thinking that the player had both weapons holstered upon death.

To follow zombie lore, players killed by zombies would reanimate as zombies. I like the idea of being able to loot player avatars that were fully geared when 'turned'.  

Yes but lore wise zombies were human slaves under the spell of voodoo black magic that's all zombies were until Night Of The Living Dead came out in which they were reanimated corpses because of a nuclear plant. Then 28 Days Later and several other movies including I Am Legend made zombies infected humans SO if we follow zombie lore there should be voodoo puppet masters we kill to free these zombies from their spell. Anyways this was a good idea regardless but wouldn't work because the players are immune if they die the disease doesn't take over because a disease and a parasite need a living host to survive in most cases.

• Like 1

>player got killed

>become a zombie

>player zombie meets another player zombie

>instantly they start fighting each other to death

<or player zombies chasing AI zombies (doing the job which other players have to do)

this may damge the DayZ gaming style but also fun

Also => 

• Survivors will NEVER become zeds, this is an anti-idea (confirmed by Rocket)
Edited by k3malb3y
  • Beans 1

Could be like the walking dead, if the player is not 'headshoted' he\she could turn into a zombie at anytime 

I see no problem in having a zombie attack carry the possibility of infecting you. Something that if you don't cure in time - like starving to death - turns you into a zombie. That way, you're not dead, you're just like the other zombies out there. There has to be a reason the virus spreads and to say that all these humans are immune negates some of the fear aspect. Seeing a fast zombie come running at you would be scarier if you had to worry about being infected too, not just bleeding.

Yeah, you wouldn't have to die to become a zombie/psycho. You get bit (bitched slapped) by a zombie and there is a chance that you can become infected and then you have to find some meds or whatever to cure it within a certain amount of time or you turn into a "zombie". All of your gear stays on you, but you can't use any of it. You just run around and look for other players to kill/infect until you either - A) Find a player that actually kills you and then all the gear you did have on you, they can take. Or B ) You get tired of running around for 3 hours looking for another player so you have the option to just respawn as a new survivor.

Edited by Jvalor
  • Like 1

yes, but only if the player was "Infected" before he died, and you would get that by getting hit too many times by zombies.