Sign in to follow this  
Jiggly Ritz

Purifying Sea/Lake Water

One thing that's been bugging me about dayz is the fact that I cant refill my canteen with water from the ocean, or the various lakes around Chernarus. We have purification tablets in the game, So it stands to reason that we should be able to purify water from any source. With the addition of the working cooking pots in the next patch, we could also boil water to purify it. This could also serve to slim down the unrealistic supply of sodas scattered around the map as well. What do you guys think?

i think you should take a break from making topics, and start using search function of these forums

One thing that's been bugging me about dayz is the fact that I cant refill my canteen with water from the ocean, or the various lakes around Chernarus. We have purification tablets in the game, So it stands to reason that we should be able to purify water from any source. With the addition of the working cooking pots in the next patch, we could also boil water to purify it. This could also serve to slim down the unrealistic supply of sodas scattered around the map as well. What do you guys think?

I see a big flaw in your suggestion. Sea water is saltwater! Humans literally can't drink it at all!

i think you should take a break from making topics, and start using search function of these forums

Has this been suggested?

I see a big flaw in your suggestion. Sea water is saltwater! Humans literally can't drink it at all!

You can still purify it by straining it or using evaporation techniques. If you boil the water and trap it with the lid you can capture the water vapor as well. It may be a bit complicated though. But there are lakes in the game, and purifying that water definitely makes sense.

Heres what I'm getting at: bottle of sea water + shirt + Pot = semi fresh water, then boil for pure water.

Edited by Jiggly Ritz

One way to purify salt water.

http://www.wikihow.com/Desalinate-Water

Will take a while though

I can only imagine the amount of whining there would be if that was added.

"omg i hav 2 wait forevr 2 get clean watr, dev team u r awful & slow"

Edited by Zedertone
  • Like 2

you can already drink water from stream or lake in game...................... you dotn need to purify it, in stable at least,  but in future you will

One way to purify salt water.

http://www.wikihow.com/Desalinate-Water

Will take a while though

Would be nice to have this added to the game.

I like the idea of placing this kind of purifying pot somewhere and to come back after an hour to collect the water.

Humans can rehydrate using seawater if you can find a friend to give you a seawater enema.

Takes a while though.

you can already drink water from stream or lake in game...................... you dotn need to purify it, in stable at least,  but in future you will

How, I have tried and I was never able to.

Also just wanted to mention that later on down the development line when persistent objects are added it would be possible to fortify a house near a pond and have an infinite water supply, and hunt for food which would diminish the need for venturing into the dangerous towns for supplies.

(You would still obviously need to go in order to get bullets and other things, but it would make you at least last a bit longer in the game.) 

umm same way you fill your canteen or waterbottle at a fountain or well...Switch to first person with your canteen out and fill the bottle in the river or stream.  Did you even try to google this??  Bet you didnt know you could use rain water to fill  your canteen up too!!

umm same way you fill your canteen or waterbottle at a fountain or well...Switch to first person with your canteen out and fill the bottle in the river or stream.  Did you even try to google this??  Bet you didnt know you could use rain water to fill  your canteen up too!!

WTF I used my scroll wheel and everything and this didn't work when I tried it. Guess it was a bug.

• Like 1

Well if at least one productive thing comes from this post I guess it would be boiling water to purify it instead of having to use the tablets.

- Currently facepalming at my dumbness lol.

hahah your good hope you got it to work!!  yea the boiling water and what not will more than likely come into play.  Remember to fill up your canteen in the rain!! Perfect time to hydrate!