Jiggly Ritz

Getting Players To Leave Spawn

It has come to my attention that many new Dayz players do not feel motivated to leave spawn. I feel the same way, as there are typically no other players anywhere other than the coast, and human interaction is what makes the game so fun. Leaving the spawn means being alone for a long period of time which is BORING. So, I want to know what you guys think would help to get players to leave the spawn town, and explore the vast reaches of Cherno.

Personally I think the Addition of vehicles will aid in exploration the most, but I'm interested to know what you think.

Absolutely agree about this changing when vehicles are implimented.  But perhaps they need to start placing spawns a little more inland....?

Absolutely agree about this changing when vehicles are implimented.  But perhaps they need to start placing spawns a little more inland....?

The devs said that they are also working to fix some kind of networking bug that is restricting the servers at less than 100 players. Once this is patched we might see servers with well over 100 people on them, which would force the devs to sort out spawns as well, because having random spawns on the coast would not be enough. I also think that once hunting is implemented there will be a much higher incentive for exploring.

• Like 1

Man, i cant wait until they give us a REAL incentive to go inland. Will make for some fun adventures!!

Players do leave the coast, but only to get weapons. Once fully loaded, which can take up to an hour of server hopping, players come back to bully freshly spawned players. Even when they implement hunting and other content (if they ever do) I feel it won't change much, the only way is to move spawn points away from coast

Players do leave the coast, but only to get weapons. Once fully loaded, which can take up to an hour of server hopping, players come back to bully freshly spawned players. Even when they implement hunting and other content (if they ever do) I feel it won't change much, the only way is to move spawn points away from coast

Hunting should be coming next patch if my memory serves me correctly.

Military loot should only spawn up north.

Civilian weapons/clothing should spawn near the coast

Police stations can have police gear/rare vest/ police weaponry "pistols, shotguns, and maybe an smg/weak carbine.

A massive incentive to go in-land is missing. 

The quest to find "Helicopter Crashes".

Other-wise heading to the various military bases, there is more than likely a server hopper that had beaten you to it. 

Edited by Sobieski12

I go inland pretty much straight away unless I spawn near Elektro in which case I'll quickly check it out before heading north. I loot a few villages and usually manage to pick up a weapon and ammunition, then I'll probably head to an airfield before making my way towards either Berezino or Zelenogorsk. 

Of course that's just me - I can't speak for other players since I usually avoid them, hence why I head inland straight away and only really linger in smaller settlements. The new city will be interesting, though. It'll bring way more traffic up north so I'll probably see a lot more people than I usually do.

I'll bet that the addition of persistent objects (like the tents and barricades in the mod) will stop people from server hopping. This is because they will not want to loose all of the gear that they put in their tent. This is the addition that I am most looking forward too, and they have said that they are working on it so I am pretty excited.

The devs said that they are also working to fix some kind of networking bug that is restricting the servers at less than 100 players. Once this is patched we might see servers with well over 100 people on them, which would force the devs to sort out spawns as well, because having random spawns on the coast would not be enough. I also think that once hunting is implemented there will be a much higher incentive for exploring.

You honestly think that the current map can handle 100+ people?  Wouldn't be anything but corpses for miles.   I can't honestly imagine 100 people on a server, every 20 seconds you'd be encountering someone, which means that often you'd either be shooting or avoiding being shot most of the time. 

I can't honestly imagine 100 people on a server

You don't need to imagine, install experimental.

However, when we have vehicles i think more than 100 will be too much too.

Maybe we should start to cry for a x4 sized map to devs ...

I know there are 100 man servers, but are they actually full enough to get a good judge of what it's really like?  We have 30 and 40? person servers on stable but rarely do you see many servers full.

I'm kind of torn on whether or not to keep the spawns on the coast or spread them all over the map. Spreading them across the map would probably help to accommodate the 100+ players.

My incentive to go inland is because I want to avoid people. And a second incentive will be hunting.

I'm kind of torn on whether or not to keep the spawns on the coast or spread them all over the map. Spreading them across the map would probably help to accommodate the 100+ players.

Yes it would so when vehicles do arrive I'm sure they will spread spawn points across the map , cuz like in real life you can find cars anywhere .

so I hope that they put cars everywhere including the coast , but make them ridiculously hard to get running again . That way people can spawn all over the map and the ones that spawn far north won't have a better chance of getting vehicles (like in the mod , cars were always up north) and in my opinion I believe most of the vehicles should be very close to rust buckets and they should (mostly) be situated around the shore (as if the whole continent were trying to evacuate to boats and such).

But when barricading, hunting , an vehicles come in people will surely be going inland and not just for the airfields , but to maybe find a house they like deep north and barricade it , also the majority of animals would mostly be in the north (considering its all woods anyways) .

Yes it would so when vehicles do arrive I'm sure they will spread spawn points across the map , cuz like in real life you can find cars anywhere .

so I hope that they put cars everywhere including the coast , but make them ridiculously hard to get running again . That way people can spawn all over the map and the ones that spawn far north won't have a better chance of getting vehicles (like in the mod , cars were always up north) and in my opinion I believe most of the vehicles should be very close to rust buckets and they should (mostly) be situated around the shore (as if the whole continent were trying to evacuate to boats and such).

But when barricading, hunting , an vehicles come in people will surely be going inland and not just for the airfields , but to maybe find a house they like deep north and barricade it , also the majority of animals would mostly be in the north (considering its all woods anyways) .

Thats how it is in the mod. The only way to find a car thats not broken down is to find a repaired vehicle that someone left behind. I imagine that this will be the same in the standalone.

Chernarus is way bigger than what we have in game - this is the South Zagoria province. We already have Chernarus expanded. Don't see why it can't be bigger.

You honestly think that the current map can handle 100+ people? Wouldn't be anything but corpses for miles. I can't honestly imagine 100 people on a server, every 20 seconds you'd be encountering someone, which means that often you'd either be shooting or avoiding being shot most of the time.

Ha ha you can experience this on 20 people server in electro. I went there once to see what all this kos was about. What i saw i was disgusted by the way players were playing. It was a deathmatch in underwear, there was no hint of these players to play dayz as a survival game at all. Little brats swearing at you after knocking you out. Bare hands people attacking you even if you have an axe. Kos is ok if it means you get to survive another day, but with so much loot around, its just another cod game

This game is in Alpha, if you notice theyve taken all southern coast spawns except for that weird Khami one out.  They want to stress test the buildings, they change the spawns to push the pvp into dif areas, if they didnt do this everyone would still be fighting in Eletro, We are a ways off from it not being strictly PvP..there isnt much to do.  but to say its CoD really does show your lack of even trying to explore  the game, way more then CoD..you ever been shot and had to patch up, give your buddy blood, run from cover to help your buddies out who have been knocked out due to fire fight, helping the fresh spawns gear up to then go and flush the guys who killed them out and re take the town.   There are already countless things to be done and everyone hears the gunfire in Zino or lumbermill runs in and dies, then complains on the forums that its CoD.  If you want to survive stay the hell out of the clearly known combat areas and go and survive.  Its not my fault you try to loot a police station while my buddies and i are set up to patrol the town and take you down.  learn to survive on all fronts of the game...People have been crying about all the wrong things.

A generous loot drop of self-priming AP mines in all coastal areas at every server restart should do the trick...

This game is in Alpha, if you notice theyve taken all southern coast spawns except for that weird Khami one out.  They want to stress test the buildings, they change the spawns to push the pvp into dif areas, if they didnt do this everyone would still be fighting in Eletro, We are a ways off from it not being strictly PvP..there isnt much to do.  but to say its CoD really does show your lack of even trying to explore  the game, way more then CoD..you ever been shot and had to patch up, give your buddy blood, run from cover to help your buddies out who have been knocked out due to fire fight, helping the fresh spawns gear up to then go and flush the guys who killed them out and re take the town.   There are already countless things to be done and everyone hears the gunfire in Zino or lumbermill runs in and dies, then complains on the forums that its CoD.  If you want to survive stay the hell out of the clearly known combat areas and go and survive.  Its not my fault you try to loot a police station while my buddies and i are set up to patrol the town and take you down.  learn to survive on all fronts of the game...People have been crying about all the wrong things.

Agreed, I have found numerous nice people in the starting towns, and almost none of them have shot me on sight, and many have even helped to get me geared up. If you use your mic once in a while you can get out of some nasty situations relatively easily.

• Like 1

Agreed, I have found numerous nice people in the starting towns, and almost none of them have shot me on sight, and many have even helped to get me geared up. If you use your mic once in a while you can get out of some nasty situations relatively easily.

Im glad someone agrees, i mean yes ive been pissed off on more than one occasion because of KoS or for just no reason, but ive also taken it out on someone else before, i have set up heros with my fellow bambi so that we can take their gear.  I have done things im not proud off with handcuffs and many other things :).  I loose geared people all the time, but its always fun because even with the limited content there is still so much room for crazy,cool,scary, realistic interactions to play. I feel they should work on the scripting thats going on before they release all this amazing content they have coming down the pipeline.  We all agreed to take this game with a grain of salt, it just so happens to play as a shooter..It came from a shooter game??  Of course most people are going to be stalking and hunting, you want survival gameplay and realism, they already have it!!!  Its just to "hard" for them, so they get "bored" or scream nerf and changes.