Sign in to follow this  
normandy

Tents and Camps and Goals / what I miss

Hello fellow survivors

It has been a while since I played the game, and I really like the latest improvements, and new additions to the game in alpha phase .

Now the reason that I have not played that much is simple, I used to play dayz-mod with a group of friends and just . . . wow, the mod was amazing .

So now I wanna talk about what made it so amazing, and why I am keeping such a distance from the standalone.

Now my number one reason would be tents, When I play standalone, I can last up to 3/4h having fun gathering supplies and gear. Once that is done, you either have to find ppl to fight/rob in order to keep yourself wanting to play.

Why tents ? It adds an extra goal to the game that will keep you occupied for a long time such as getting the required materials to setup camp, getting the right tools to boobytrap it, setting up night watches during the night to avoid a raid while most of the group are offline, not to mention, a safe place to store your valuables and supplies. These are things I miss . . .

Here you have an image from our old group post on the dayz forums, you can clearly see howmuch work we put in that base, and the fun we had doing so is indescribable 

Of course vehicles where hella fun to find and fix in early release of the mod, because now you have all the private hives on the mod with vehicles everywhere, and oh boy, Did I love them rare. I remember having Hours worth of searching for these mechanical beasts, but that would be another topic, as I just wanted to shine some light upon the tents 

Image extracted from our old mod group : http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/2100-freelance-eu-survivor-group/

freelance.png

So basically what I want this discussion to be about is tents and other things that add goals to the game for proper survivor game-play. Because I want this game to kinda be more about survival than about get gear go shoot/rob people, This should just be an option for a group to take, and the risk would be huge doing so.

Anyway guys, What do you think will add fun survival goals to the game to keep us busy ?

• Like 1

Beans, I too really...really want tents back. I cant wait to set up a camp somewhere in the new north. Already scouted a lot of good sites.

The one thing I worry about is that a lot of people want tents to be un-lootable by yourself, or simply deleted upon death. To me that destroys the whole point of setting up a camp. It should persist until its destroyed by a player and be freely lootable all the time, just like the mod....well that's my opinion anyways.

The barricades could make for some interesting gameplay, while I don't really see them as a base building option I would like to seal up some doors in a big building to keep zombies out then try and hold it for a while. Keeping players from breaking down the barricades, and patching them up as zeds claw at them....could be awesome :)

The only reason I'm playing this game is for hopes of a future with private hives and persistant bases.

Gathering supplies in my base was something that put sense into all my adventures. Currently I don't see any reason to go north-west to gather supplies since I'm going to loose everything eventually. In standalone i'd rather grab some bare necessities and a weapon and move to a high traffic area right away to see how things turn out.

However, even in the original mod that had tents and vehicles I stopped bothering with them. Tent placement rules were too restrictive so you couldn't hide them well and vehicles were impossible to conceal, especially from helicopters. So after a while your stash was looted, vehicles hijacked, destroyed or sabotaged. I decided that it's better not to have a stash at all than to do all the hard work for some thieves that were roaming probable stash areas.

Then I tried Origins, then Epoch where I could finally hide my tents where I want them to and later have some more secure storage options. I'm looking forward for at least persistent objects to have no restrictions on placement. Ideally I wish there was a base building system with secure storage capabilities somewhat like in Epoch.

The one thing I worry about is that a lot of people want tents to be un-lootable by yourself, or simply deleted upon death. 

That has to be the dumbest fucking suggestion I've ever heard. I highly doubt the devs would ever agree to do that, so I really wouldn't worry about it. As you said, that is the whole point of having persistent objects/containers. sure, you get them, but at the risk of being found, cleaned out and/or destroyed. Dying has nothing to do with it.

Yes,Tents not backpacks need to be intorduced and made persistant

Backpacks will just litter the coast with them full of Ammo,clips and Mags,handguns and sawed off's,yoiu think the coast is dangerous now.... ?

Tents would be harder to conceal,so the coast would not get over run with them and most would move in land a bit to set up a camp

Without tents,who is going to carry blocks of firewood,cooking pots etc ?

Nothing will change,because it will be unrealistic trying to carry all that stuff just to hunt and cook

everyone will just grab some beans and a gun and go look for others to kill like they do now!

Tents,would definately add an eliminate of something to do.Setting up camp,is what is needed first to be able to hunt and especially cook.

Tents,not backpacks please!

Yes,Tents not backpacks need to be intorduced and made persistant

I believe they are working on both of these, and are also working on making everything persistent too. At least that's what I recall from Dean talking at Rezzed.

Tents and what is in them,and what is on you is all I would like to see hold persitant items not backpacks laying around full of stuff as I describe in my above post.

Later vehicles could become persitant and what they contain,but either way a Camp is needed for something to do which needs to Tent to happen  IMHO