Sign in to follow this  
hannibaldaplaya

Melee is now a Joke in Experimental- Fists more effective then Fire-Axe

Experimental has made melee WORST then it already was.

It is not more effective to just spam your fists at a zed's head until it dies them to use a fucking axe.

It was bad enough your fists outdid the bats, the crowbars, and the hammers, and anything really other then the axe, but now your fists literally do everything.

They also excel in player versus player combat as they focus on knocking someone else instead of causing devastating damage, what?

Edited by Insane Aradia
  • Like 10

Your title, has to be completely incorrect lol.

You say fists are more effective than the Fire-Axe, when the Fire Axe is a 1 hit kill. I haven't played the Exp yet, but how the hell could fists do better than a 1 hit kill....?

You say fists are more effective than the Fire-Axe, when the Fire Axe is a 1 hit kill. I haven't played the Exp yet, but how the hell could fists do better than a 1 hit kill....?

They changed it.

Experimental makes it so the axe never kills in one hit. It can take up to 6!

• Like 1

Perhaps that's why it is on experimental, they are testing balance...ever thought of that?

• Like 2

Perhaps that's why it is on experimental, they are testing balance...ever thought of that?

Then we must inform them that its been turned to a joke.

Perhaps that's why we are in an Alpha in general, to provide feedback...ever thought of that?

• Like 6

How do you know the title is incorrect if you've never played the build specifically mentioned in said title?

And OP is providing feedback that it was a terrible change in their opinion.

Edited by Rage VG
  • Like 15

The main reason the fists are outshining everything is that they are a lot easier to aim then any of the other melee weapons. They swing fast and hit on target, making it a lot less frustrating to just punch a zombie's lights out repeatedly until it dies. This is as effective as using an axe, as with an axe now you have to constantly swing and hope for the hit to register, and if it doesn't hit the head it deals very little damage.

It is incredibly hard to nail zombies in the head as they spaz out around and as you move to dodge their attacks, making headshots rather difficult, especially in cities where performance is usually low for everyone.

I'm all for dangerous zombies, but the way they are making them dangerous is through frustrating, cheap changes that make the zombies more frustrating and less scary. When you die by one, which is still very unlikely, its sort of like dying to a glitch- They are still rather buggy and now can take a shitload of melee hits from all the weapons.

Please, developers, fix the zombie pathing, AI, melee, and then buff the zeds so that they are a threat. Make them overwhelm players and increase their numbers, after they work.

• Like 8

As I said in another thread, I feel there's not much point in using anything but fists currently. I'm already almost at that point on stable, at least when dealing with players since the knock-out makes it trivial to immobilise somebody, but when I was on experimental I found myself sighing when I got zombie agro because just I couldn't be bothered getting my now-weak fire axe out.

Edit: What Aradia said about aiming is also 100% accurate, I was just on stable and I was trying to use various things to defend myself against zombies. Some melee weapons are quite good at connecting to your target, for example the pitchfork, but others like the hoe just frustrated me. I won't even mention garbage like the wrench that has been useless since the beginning.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 2

but others like the hoe just frustrated me.

You need to learn to control those hoes.

Sorry, I'll excuse myself now.

• Like 10

Rocket confirmed it's a bug, not a tweak. They will fix it for the stable branch

• Like 8

Then we must inform them that its been turned to a joke.

Perhaps that's why we are in an Alpha in general, to provide feedback...ever thought of that?

Well you don't need to write a rage post about it like it is the end of the world either. Why is it so hard to put forth your opinion without sounding like a spoilt child?

As has been said it was an unintentional mistake and it will be fixed. 

Some people need to stick to stable.

• Like 2

Meanwhile, I suggest using knives and machetes. They are as easy to aim as fists, but do a bit more damage. They also have the same knockdown chance if you manage to hit the head.

The machete kills a zed with 2-3 aimed headshots.

Edited by retro19

Rocket confirmed it's a bug, not a tweak. They will fix it for the stable branch

I read that too.. and for now it just makes things "fun".

Ive knocked out so many Zeds, and just run away. Its my new fav if Im on the move.. knock em down, run to the next. :P

Gotta agree on this gripe.. just played some Experimental, and it was taking as many hits to kill zeds with the Axe as it normally does with a baseball bat or crowbar. Rather frustrating when you're navigating through a dangerous area, like NWAF.

I would imagine the devs know about this, we played on a server last night and one of them was playing (can't remember his name).

Apart from this problem and the fact that the zombies now have super spidey senses and can spot you through 5 houses i'm actually loving exp. Night time and the fact you have to scavenge harder is great, and those 100 man servers oooooh!! <3

They changed it.

Experimental makes it so the axe never kills in one hit. It can take up to 6!

And a dev or mod has already said it was a designer mistake and it would be addressed.... use the search function :)

If you manage to sneak up to a zombie and hit them with the axe before they aggro, they still drop from 1 hit with fire axe for some reason. But as soon as they aggro it is the 4-6 hits.

Hopefully they will be changing this again. It is indeed interesting to experience, but I do think it should be possible to kill zombies with 1 well-aimed hit with an axe.

What about mouse acceleration? How long is it going to take fixing such a simple yet game breaking for some thing?

I hope they change the fucin zombies when stable is released. Its unplaybale shit, when they are such overpowered beasts.

I think Rocket & CO. should play more LEFT4DEAD to get a little feeling for nice/optimal zombies. I don´t need corpse cutting or such, but zeds could be easy beatin with 1or2-hit by melee. Its no deal ok, so lets spawn more zeds in location for "harder"gameplay. AND ALSO GIVE A TRY TO CLEAR A LOCATION FREE FROM ZOMBIES. THIS IS NONSENSE THAT ZOMBIES SPAWN LIKE OUT OF A CONVEYOR FROM A FABRIC..

The way they are programming their zombies looks like, we need a bazooka in full release to kill 1 zed...

Maybe they want to avoid or minimize KOS, but this is the wrong way - Players will always killing other players, thats dayz...

this makes me really angry, as I could start every day a thread here in forum for attention.

TAKE THE SHIT ZOMBIES COMPLETE OUT IN THE NEXT !> STABLE PATCH <! & TAKE THEM BACK, WHEN THEY ARE READY PROGRAMMED.

PLACEHOLDER HERE.. PLACEHOLDER THERE.. THIS DESTROYS GAMEPLAY.

>CAN DETECT/HEAR YOU THROUGH MORE THAN 100m

>IN 1 SECOND 0-100 AGRO

>PRESS-WEST-AMOR 1000

>100KM SPRINTERs

>WALLGLITCHIN LIKE GHOSTS

>SPAWNING ALSO LIKE GHOSTS

..i hope i did not forget some nice features of the current zeds in dayz ... lol

PS: PLEASE DAYZ-DEV READ MY SHIT THREAD HERE. THANKS

Edited by TiMEDANCE

Is the entire uselessness of bats, machetes, crowbars, shovels, hammers, spanners and pipe-wrenches also a bug?

Or is that just wonky thinking on the part of the person who decided the melee damage values?

Edit: Screwdrivers, kitchen knives, bayonets... fire extinguishers... did I leave any out? 

Edited by Pillock

Some people need to stick to stable.

I take that as an insult, as if I should not be allowed to go to Experimental and then provide feedback on the forums over such an issue? I was ill-informed that it was unintentional, gosh. 

You don't have to make blatant assumptions about me, holy hell.

• Like 2

And a dev or mod has already said it was a designer mistake and it would be addressed.... use the search function :)

Which site are we supposed to search? This one, Twitter, or Reddit?

• Like 1

I really really hope that Zs won't me a one hit with ANY melee weapon unless you hit the head !

Fireaxe makes Zs to a 0-threat thing. Well, even as a bambie I'm bored by Zs - they are more annoying than a threat