Sign in to follow this  
shaeg

dread and despair a game changing suggestion.

There is a game called Metro Last Light. In that game you fight for survival in a post apocoliptic world of chaos inhabited by mutated life forms and aliens. There is a part of the game where you are outside and have to use a gas mask with limited filters while trying to find gas to start a little raft motor to escape. It gets darker and darker..the darker it gets well...let's just say the freaks come out at night. There is an overwhelming sense of fear and dread as it gets darker and your flashlight gets low and the filter timer runs out...

DayZ needs this.

Imagine if as it got darker...the zombies got worse...more and more came out to play..the fight to survive gets intense.... KOS and PvP becomes irrelevant when you are forced to team up to survive against hordesffighting for shelter fighting for that last flicker of light.

That would bring a depth to this game that would leave people breathless and shaking..but craving more. Adrenaline sells.

that would be amazing. But all those "24/7 Daytime" wimp servers will ruin it

• Like 1

You think hordes of zombies would stop the KoS and the pvp? lol.

They wouldn't care about zombies, they'd kill you and run off into the mountain or something. There are tons of things people come up with to try and "stop" all of this KoS and stuff, but in reality the only people who can stop it is us.

There are tons of things people come up with to try and "stop" all of this KoS and stuff, but in reality the only people who can stop it is us.

True...nothing can stop kos.

However, OTHER people aside, the game is really easy at the moment, and people with guns (Well..and glitches..but that'll change.) are the only real threat.

• Like 2

They wouldn't care about zombies, they'd kill you and run off into the mountain or something. There are tons of things people come up with to try and "stop" all of this KoS and stuff, but in reality the only people who can stop it is us.

Its not about stopping 12 yr olds. Its about depth that the game needs. And if there were hundreds of zombies...firing shots off at people would be a pretty bad idea.

Yeah...even in the mod, it felt by no means like a fight for survival...

Btw did you read the book? It's great. :lol:

The book was excellent. It was the the only game were I had to actually stop playing to get fresh air it got so intense

Its not about stopping 12 yr olds. Its about depth that the game needs. And if there were hundreds of zombies...firing shots off at people would be a pretty bad idea.

Do you think people would care? lol... 

Do you think people would care? lol...

People care now..and current zeds are a joke. So yes.

People care now..and current zeds are a joke. So yes.

I've met tons of people who wouldn't give a shit if there was 100 zombies or 10,000 zombies around them, they'd shoot you because they give 0 shits and those are the types of people who KoS.

But yes I agree that DayZ needs more realism and roleplay. I almost wish it was like a whitelisted game... 

Edited by Zedertone

It's not a matter of KoS for a lot of us. It's a matter of a zombie apocalypse game. Go back and read those first responses. KoS wasn't mentioned once.

That's as much as I feed the troll...

There is a game called Metro Last Light. In that game you fight for survival in a post apocoliptic world of chaos inhabited by mutated life forms and aliens. There is a part of the game where you are outside and have to use a gas mask with limited filters while trying to find gas to start a little raft motor to escape. It gets darker and darker..the darker it gets well...let's just say the freaks come out at night. There is an overwhelming sense of fear and dread as it gets darker and your flashlight gets low and the filter timer runs out...

DayZ needs this.

Imagine if as it got darker...the zombies got worse...more and more came out to play..the fight to survive gets intense.... KOS and PvP becomes irrelevant when you are forced to team up to survive against hordesffighting for shelter fighting for that last flicker of light.

That would bring a depth to this game that would leave people breathless and shaking..but craving more. Adrenaline sells.

I dunno, people already don't like playing at night, mostly because of people using the gamma glitch I'd say, but making it harder at night won't really help the way the game is right now. If the gamma glitch was somehow fixed, even then, why strain your eyes and have a harder time when you can just play on a daytime server.

I myself among others would welcome the challenge of this idea (if the gamma glitch was fixed) but I think the majority wouldn't. Perhaps that can be fixed with incentives to play at night instead e.g. rare loot becoming less rare?

I dunno, people already don't like playing at night, mostly because of people using the gamma glitch I'd say, but making it harder at night won't really help the way the game is right now. If the gamma glitch was somehow fixed, even then, why strain your eyes and have a harder time when you can just play on a daytime server.

I myself among others would welcome the challenge of this idea (if the gamma glitch was fixed) but I think the majority wouldn't. Perhaps that can be fixed with incentives to play at night instead e.g. rare loot becoming less rare?

Rare loot being more common at night is a good idea. I think also that night should be forced on the players. Its their game. Not ours. Daytime only servers need to go.

I'd like to see some extra dangerous zombie areas. We already have dangerous pvp areas, how about some areas similar to the surface in the Metro series? I don't see what loot you could affiliate with it though.

I'd like to see some extra dangerous zombie areas. We already have dangerous pvp areas, how about some areas similar to the surface in the Metro series? I don't see what loot you could affiliate with it though.

Riot gear

Machine guns

Armored vehicles

They need zombie hordes in the game.

Imagine if as it got darker...the zombies got worse...more and more came out to play..the fight to survive gets intense.... KOS and PvP becomes irrelevant when 

It's not a matter of KoS for a lot of us. It's a matter of a zombie apocalypse game. Go back and read those first responses. KoS wasn't mentioned once.

That's as much as I feed the troll...

Oh, it wasn't? ^^ Please read it again.

I'm a huge fan of the Metro books and i've waded through those games as well as Stalker series. The atmosphere in both is really something.

What we need in dayz is Atmosphere! Contrast, volumetric lighting, fog. Good soundscape, shaders and effects. Imagine electro being like the topside of moscow in metro. That's what we need. Even if you would drop current dayz zombies and players in that scenein Metro: Last light , it would kick so much ass!

Edited by Intactus

KoS does not need to be stopped! It just needs to not be the only option and sometimes it needs to be a detriment to your own survival!

If zeds were much more lethal, if they were found in large numbers in big towns and where the good loot was found, and if they roamed around, there would be ahuge incentive for people to band together. And I don't just mean two people who know each other out of the game playing together in TS. I mean randoms banding together because SOMETIMES it is the best option available.

• Like 1

I think what we need is more lighting options and lights that don't clip buildings.

Also.

We need to be able to hold a light in one hand and still be able to fight.

We need to be able to tape flashlights to our guns.

We need to be able to tape flashlights to our heads.

We need to be able to tie gas lamps to our bags.

The light needs to light a greater area and reflect off surfaces indoors especially.

Headlights that actually point towards where you are looking and not towards where your 3rd person models head is.

Red military flashlights.

Roadflares.

Chemlights.

Floodlights.

Not many would go into the light without the right sort of stuff, and I feel the unpopularity of night is because of just this.

Sure you spawn with a light, but it gives you away and you are far more likely to be seen by somebody using gamma cheats instead of their light.

Remove the option to change your gamma while in a server, let eyes adjust to low light levels slightly, give us better lighting options and torch mechanics.

Also L to switch off light in your hand quickly (like the mod), maybe same for headlights.

Servers that will change between night and day within a couple of hours, and also servers that will seem to change their time very slightly day by day (so one day at 7pm it might be pitch black, but by the end of the week when you get on at 7pm it will be early morning).

I think the night is an atmosphere DayZ really needs to work on and opting out of night should be difficult.

Zombies should have poor vision, but should be able to spot lights from further away and they are better at detecting noise with less of the sounds of nature.

Lights I think should be absolutely necessary when fighting zombies, there would be too many to keep track of in the dark once one makes a sound at you presence.

The idea of looting at night should be to sneak in without worrying too much about your profile, but more about how much noise you're making.

• Like 1

I think what we need is more lighting options and lights that don't clip buildings.

Also.

We need to be able to hold a light in one hand and still be able to fight.

We need to be able to tape flashlights to our guns.

We need to be able to tape flashlights to our heads.

We need to be able to tie gas lamps to our bags.

The light needs to light a greater area and reflect off surfaces indoors especially.

Headlights that actually point towards where you are looking and not towards where your 3rd person models head is.

Red military flashlights.

Roadflares.

Chemlights.

Floodlights.

Not many would go into the light without the right sort of stuff, and I feel the unpopularity of night is because of just this.

Sure you spawn with a light, but it gives you away and you are far more likely to be seen by somebody using gamma cheats instead of their light.

Remove the option to change your gamma while in a server, let eyes adjust to low light levels slightly, give us better lighting options and torch mechanics.

Also L to switch off light in your hand quickly (like the mod), maybe same for headlights.

Servers that will change between night and day within a couple of hours, and also servers that will seem to change their time very slightly day by day (so one day at 7pm it might be pitch black, but by the end of the week when you get on at 7pm it will be early morning).

I think the night is an atmosphere DayZ really needs to work on and opting out of night should be difficult.

Zombies should have poor vision, but should be able to spot lights from further away and they are better at detecting noise with less of the sounds of nature.

Lights I think should be absolutely necessary when fighting zombies, there would be too many to keep track of in the dark once one makes a sound at you presence.

The idea of looting at night should be to sneak in without worrying too much about your profile, but more about how much noise you're making.

I have always thought DayZ to almost feel like 2 different games comparing day to night which I think is awesome, more so the mod i mean

Night time should have a huge emphasis but I guess untill that happens the 24/7 day light servers arent all bad ;)

Edited by liquidcactus
  • Like 1