Sign in to follow this  
wacktopia

Best M4A1 Range Config?

I'm trying to understand the best config for an M4A1 at range.  I understand there are better ranged rifles but I wanted to ask specifically about the M4A1. 

From what I have read from various sources the below gives the best ranged config (i.e greatest accuracy at range) but I wanted to check.

• Pristine M4A1
  • Scope: ACOG
  • Butt-stock + Grip: MP variants
  • ATLAS deployed and laying down
  • Hold breath using right mouse

I read somewhere about a suppressor reducing dispersion too - is that correct?

Magpul stock

Magpul handguard

Suppressor

Bipod deployed while prone

ACOG lets you see the best.

The Magpul™ and suppressor only matters when crouched or standing, because using a bipod with any combination of handguards and stock should result in perfect accuracy, unless of course you have no stock or handguard.

With the Mosin you only need one thing, a compensator, if you have that the bipod is redundant.

• Like 1

Not to hijack the thread here or anything, but gews, have you been able to calculate the M4 dispersion levels (of various attachments) and translate them into an MoA measurement? This would give me a IRL reference to the M4 (plus other weapon) accuracy.

Not to hijack the thread here or anything, but gews, have you been able to calculate the M4 dispersion levels (of various attachments) and translate them into an MoA measurement? This would give me a IRL reference to the M4 (plus other weapon) accuracy.

CQB stock = 57.4 MOA

Basic M4A1 = 40.6 MOA

One Magpul = 23.7 MOA

Dual Magpul = 6.90 MOA

Bipod = 0 MOA

• Like 1

6.9 MOA, even with Magpul? Wow. I have seen AR15 with shot out barrels hold under 6 MOA.

6.9 MOA, even with Magpul? Wow. I have seen AR15 with shot out barrels hold under 6 MOA.

The CQB still shocks me... to get a 3-inch group, you would have to move to 5 yards and have perfect aim.

• Like 1

Yeah....my wife can shoot a 3 inch group at 7 yards with a stub nose .38 special revolver. Would it be too much to ask for a realistic representation of M4 weapon accuracy? Say in the range of 6-1 MOA? Any basic off the shelf M4 in "pristine" condition should be able to shoot 2-4 MOA on mil spec 55g FMJ or 62g FMJ. My 600 dollar AR-15 does it all day long with irons.

What I dislike more than the fact it's inaccurate, is how it compares to other weapons, and vice versa...

The SKS is over twice as accurate as the M4A1.

The Mosin is twice as accurate as the SKS.

The $7000 Blaser is 1.6 times less accurate than the Mosin.

The Ruger 10/22 is more accurate than everything.

The upcoming AKM appears like it will be 1.5x more accurate than the M4A1, but 1.6x less accurate than the SKS.

It's completely wonky, there's been no attention paid to these accuracies...

I'd be fine if they were less accurate but the values were at least consistent with each other, and consistent with real life (ie, M4A1 more accurate than AKM, Blaser more accurate than Mosin, etc). ACE mod did something like this.

Right now they seem based on nothingness, it's like they were pulled out of a hat.

/rant

• Like 2

What I dislike more than the fact it's inaccurate, is how it compares to other weapons, and vice versa...

The SKS is over twice as accurate as the M4A1.

The Mosin is twice as accurate as the SKS.

The $7000 Blaser is 1.6 times less accurate than the Mosin.

The Ruger 10/22 is more accurate than everything.

The upcoming AKM appears like it will be 1.5x more accurate than the M4A1, but 1.6x less accurate than the SKS.

It's completely wonky, there's been no attention paid to these accuracies...

I'd be fine if they were less accurate but the values were at least consistent with each other, and consistent with real life (ie, M4A1 more accurate than AKM, Blaser more accurate than Mosin, etc). ACE mod did something like this.

Right now they seem based on nothingness, it's like they were pulled out of a hat.

/rant

The dispersion of the in-game weapons is hilariously stupid.

They need to step it up and re-introduce ballistics that make sense.

Nothing screams unrealistic like an M4A1 that is a bullet-hose!

Though I am a fan of the AKM, sure, it is good for me that it will be more accurate then the M4A1, but should it realistically be more accurate then the M4A1? No, not really, it should be at least a tad less accurate then the M4A1, and the M4A1 should be a lot more accurate to begin with.

My AR-15 will beat an old, military surplus mosin any day, unless you go outside of the effective range of a 5.56 round.

Magpul™ stock

Magpul™ handguard

Suppressor

The Magpul™ and suppressor only matters when crouched or standing, because using a bipod with any combination of handguards and stock should result in perfect accuracy, unless of course you have no stock or handguard.

With the Mosin you only need one thing, a compensator, if you have that the bipod is redundant.

Thank you.  

As with anything I have found doing in-game range shooting at zeds has been a good measure to test the effective accuracy.  I was trying to see if I could survive with the M4A1 as an assault weapon and also use it in a fashion at 300-400m range.  Turns out I can with a combination of your above advice (either ATLAS and/or the MP/Magpul setup).  

I'm quite fond of the SKS and it seems pretty accurate at range but it is no match for the M4A1 at close quarters in my fairly brief experiences.  

At 300-400 meters, the m4 without the bipod is pretty much useless. with a 6.9 MOA, you would be lucky to keep it in a 21" circle much less consistently hit a man at 300m. This assumes you do you job (aim and breath control perfectly). Beyond 100m I have found the M4 almost useless. By the time you use a bipod, the mosin is a better choice.

The SKS on the other hand I think is a nice and well balanced gun for short to longer ranges up to about 300. I have taken out many people in close quarters with an SKS due the M4s horrible accuracy.

If I were you, I would (and I have for months) drop the M4 for a mosin/pistol combo or an SKS.

At 300-400 meters, the m4 without the bipod is pretty much useless. with a 6.9 MOA, you would be lucky to keep it in a 21" circle much less consistently hit a man at 300m. This assumes you do you job (aim and breath control perfectly). Beyond 100m I have found the M4 almost useless. By the time you use a bipod, the mosin is a better choice.

The SKS on the other hand I think is a nice and well balanced gun for short to longer ranges up to about 300. I have taken out many people in close quarters with an SKS due the M4s horrible accuracy.

If I were you, I would (and I have for months) drop the M4 for a mosin/pistol combo or an SKS.

Thanks for the advice.

For 300m with the M4 I'd always be using a bipod. But I've found I can hit consistently at this range.

I'm going to stick with the M4 for this life then give the SKS another go. Also discovered today how to get a shotgun in your pack using a hacksaw. :)

Magpul stock

Magpul handguard

Suppressor

Don't forget, switching to semi auto changes the dispersion value.

Yeah, one of many weird things... but ehh.. we gotta adapt for the time being.

Don't forget, switching to semi auto changes the dispersion value.

Correct...

I don't get the reasoning behind that.

Firing in full auto is already less accurate than using semi as anyone who's played ARMA can tell you. There's no need to add a bunch of extra dispersion if you're only touching off a single shot.

• Like 1

Correct...

I don't get the reasoning behind that.

Firing in full auto is already less accurate than using semi as anyone who's played ARMA can tell you. There's no need to add a bunch of extra dispersion if you're only touching off a single shot.

I come from a Red Orchestra (the good one, not the sequel) background so I really like the idea that weapons are "difficult" to aim. I think all of the possible near missing ARE a good thing because of the nature of the game and the ranges of engagement.

However, with all that being said. The cone of fire system we have now (high dispersion) is a little lame and i'd rather have really amaetur aim ability than an unrelaibly performing rifle.

Now im not saying that the M4 should be a tack driver and not saying it should be the klobb. I just like the idea that when I wield an M4, I havent trained day in and day out in AIT for months. I'm a survivor and most likely civilian.

Now im not saying that the M4 should be a tack driver and not saying it should be the klobb. I just like the idea that when I wield an M4, I havent trained day in and day out in AIT for months. I'm a survivor and most likely civilian.

I don't care about the amount of dispersion as much as I care about the fact it makes no sense and doesn't reflect reality.

If Magpul parts and compensators had very limited or no effect on dispersion, I would be happier...

If the SKS was less accurate than the M4A1, and the Mosin was less accurate than the Blaser, I would be happier...

They could give them 2x or 3x typical "off the bench" accuracy and I wouldn't complain much as long as they were ALL given 2x, or 3x... but right now some rifles are given 2x, others are given 30x, it makes zero sense.

Gews unhappy.

Edited by Gews

Gews unhappy.

Yeah, none of it really makes sense.

If it helps, the way I look at it is the SKS, Mosin, M4A1, and MagPulltm parts are development placeholders.

I just take every gun with a scoop of salt and I really focus on the way gunfights pan out, and I do like it. I think the engagments themselves are "realistic". Are the guns that are at the ends of the exchanging fire realistic? Nope.

If it helps, the way I look at it is the SKS, Mosin, M4A1, and MagPulltm parts are development placeholders.

I just take every gun with a scoop of salt and I really focus on the way gunfights pan out, and I do like it. I think the engagments themselves are "realistic". Are the guns that are at the ends of the exchanging fire realistic? Nope.

Well that's what we all hope. The signs have been so far discouraging (ie: PU zeroes to 300m but ACOG has adjustments to 700m ie: attachments giving weapons arcade-like "power-ups" ie: massive dispersion and huge Hollywood muzzle flash) but I'm still hoping these are merely kinks they will work out later...

The fights may be more realistic than other games but I am someone who likes to spend time looking at the V50s of 14.5mm ammunition vs hardened steel plates or reading things like Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting or Modern Exterior Ballistics. For me the correct and authentic functioning of the weapons is more important than zombies, loot, network bubbles or anything else.

How do I change my M4 to semi auto?

You press "T", there is no indication of which mode it is set to.

Edited by Gews
  • Like 1

The best M4A1 range configuration is to put it on the ground and pick up a Mosin Nagant.

Edited by Ozelot
  • Like 3

I can get up to 600 yards with my mosin with iron sights in real life, but thats after THOUSANDS of rounds from.it and me actually "learning" the gun itself (i.e how it acts, what ammo it likes best, ext)

And 5.56 is actually the.most accurate round of all the calibers ingame (excluding the WRONG caliber for mosin which is 7.62x54r, it says 7.62x51 which woukd beat 5.56) if we were in real life. Buuut, its not. Its like they took an m4 from payday, gave it to a monkey with parkinsons and said have at it.

And as a side note for those who say that the ingame mosin may be a 7.62x51 variation, its not. Its wrong info. Noone makes new mosins, let alone in 7.62x51. But there were around 100,000 made by Winchester and Remington for the Soviets in WWI in 7.62x51, but its so rare good luck.finding one.

You press "T", there is no indication of which mode it is set to.

Ha, classic.  So the only way to "know" is to try firing it and see....

Also, am I reading correctly that the "semi-auto" setting is more accurate?  Just checking there was not some bizzaro-logic where it was more accurate on full auto or something.  Thanks 

Edited by wacktopia

The best M4A1 range configuration is to put it on the ground and pick up a Mosin Nagant.

I've have been considering a Mosin and sawn-off combo when I can find a long range scope first.

Not sure I even get what the compensator does in game. I know they're useful for semi-auto rifles and that, reducing recoil, but on a bolt action I'm not even sure it's necessary. I've shot with my mosin in game with and without a compensator and haven't really noticed much of a difference. Granted, I haven't spent a good amount of time doing extensive testing on it either.

Not sure I even get what the compensator does in game. I know they're useful for semi-auto rifles and that, reducing recoil, but on a bolt action I'm not even sure it's necessary. I've shot with my mosin in game with and without a compensator and haven't really noticed much of a difference. Granted, I haven't spent a good amount of time doing extensive testing on it either.

The pistol and M4 compensator are bugged and do nothing as far as I have read.  Not sure about the Mosin.