joe_mcentire

chance to injure your wrists/arms/fists

simple suggestion:

After all this time, punching is still one of the most effective methods to dominate other players or zeds in close combat if one doesn't have at least an axe or a baseball bat (also applies to other players).

I do understand fists give new-spawns a fair chance to be somewhat competitive from the beginning and that punching gives them a status higher than just "fair game". however (up to now) you can wipe free a whole village of zeds just by punching your way through the "masses" of unfortunates.

I think that's a bit too much so i'd suggest:

• using fists...
  • fairly often...
  • over a certain time span...

• dramatically increases chances to injure one's wrists/arms, moreover

• if your opponent is somewhat properly equipped (helmets, vests etc.)

i guess it would be a rather small addition nevertheless it could be one small in effort but rather effective and lead to a big impact on actual gameplay. zeds still don't represent a threat so it could also initiate a flight, rather than a fight reaction in upcoming versions. or are zeds yet to broken, so current gameplay would be heavily unbalanced?

conclusive example: imagine a lively brawl with another player in the local tavern; you miss with your last swing and decently hit the concrete wall...

opinions? objections?

or maybe an easy alternative

i don't want to even fixate on the idea rather than the issue. i guess an endurance/stamina system would also do the trick, where using your bare hands would be the most exhausting melee style.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 4

no counter-argument: this clearly means it needs to be implemented. this can be closed now, ty 

Edited by joe_mcentire

one last try: anyone with (better) input or critique? i think the idea would have some potential, although it's not much refined

• Like 1

I agree with this. Maybe add a chance of hurting your hands if you punch a hard surface (includes helmets) and maybe even a very small cahnce of hurting your hands if you punch someones head. So if you punch a lot there is a good chance you will finally get unlucky.

A less random version would give some kind of health bar to your fists or make them degrade just like items ("damaged" would cause pain, "badly damaged" would cause much more pain as well as damage and "ruined" means they are broken and not usable).

Yes

Guy is wearing a motorcycle helmet or even a ballistic helmet and not only I can knock him out really easily and my hands remain unharmed. 

I agree that punching should cause injury to your hands to increase realism, but there's a problem with this -- in reality you aren't limited to punching to cause injury.  You can grab, twist, knee, choke, etc.  I think they should either implement a more complex melee fighting system or stick with what they have now.

You can grab, twist, knee, choke, etc.  I think they should either implement a more complex melee fighting system or stick with what they have now.

agree here. yes. at least some pushing and/or kicking animation even, you basically can't leave a room if a zed decides to stand in the middle of the door frame.

I can figure out a thousand ways to take down someone wearing facial protection; For example, take a firm grip around their neck and break it, Punch the Solar Plexus or the like. I would approve this suggestion if punching zeds are easier, as they are basically rotten corpses walking around, which equals no muscles, and deteriorated bones, and perhaps leave players in the same situation they are in. A fully health survivor, who I can only assume has been hit by a zed at least once, and is wearing protection and so forth, should be able to deal with getting hit once by a newfriend, More so than a newfriend should be able to deal with having a deranged infected hit him.

i wonder what the new overhauled melee system will comprise in that regard.

Sry didn't read the thread. Was punching my door open, couldn't find keys.

• Like 1

I agree, except if you punch someone in the jaw there should be a chance to break it forcing him onto a soft foods diet, (Rice, spaghetti, beans, ect.) It works both ways. It only takes one good punch to break your hand or someones jaw.

• Like 1

I would approve this suggestion if punching zeds are easier, as they are basically rotten corpses walking around, which equals no muscles, and deteriorated bones.

Nope, Zombies in DayZ are 'infected'. They're like Zombies in films like 28 weeks later, hence their running and ability to be killed by normal means.

On topic, I'm not entirely sure, but I have hurt my arms while punching zombies at least. Not ever actually punched a player. Might be that the zombies hit my arm, but never had it happen with a weapon.

Either way, this should definitely be implemented/vastly improved on.

I agree, except if you punch someone in the jaw there should be a chance to break it forcing him onto a soft foods diet, (Rice, spaghetti, beans, ect.) It works both ways. It only takes one good punch to break your hand or someones jaw.

haha this is actually an awesome idea XD. only being able to eat powdered milk, add straws to this and there you go ;)

might also be safe to say, that stamina might alleviate the issue

Besides breaking those parts of your body, wouldn't it nice that if you're a good shot and shoot at the rifle it breaks? I mean this adds a way of not having a weapon out always. Now since I'm no PvP-er myself I rather don't see this, but overall it does give an extra degree of challenge :)

• Like 1