Lotims

Live-Action DayZ Short Film

Ever wished there was a live-action interpretation of some of your most memorable moments of DayZ? How about one that can catch the atmosphere of DayZ? 

Well, My company, Lotims Inc, decided to create one for all those of you who have been wanting to see one! This took exactly two weeks, that way it fits into our every other week video release schedule! 

I would love to get the opinions from the DayZ community! 

What were some things in the video that relate to your own experiences in DayZ? Tell us about them! 

EDIT: 

Our BehindTheScenes video has gone live. Come check out how we made the video if you are interested! 

http://youtu.be/8YWJxKldQCA

Edited by Lotims
  • Like 10

Nice, awesome locations. Also quite a consens offered for everyone individually. Also love the "no talking" thing.

Take,

leaked footage
mature actors
no story
a dslr
some color correction

call it a company.

From all dayz videos i saw it was the best, even if some scenes had no real sense. Location pick was pretty nice, keep on doin.

Edited by Guest

Nice, awesome locations. Also quite a consens offered for everyone individually. Also love the "no talking" thing.

Thanks! I wanted to really show how the game atmosphere was, and since most of the time as you play you are not talking, I wanted to add that into the short! :)

Take,

Leaked footage

mature actors

No story

a dslr

some color corrction

call it a company.

From all dayz videos i saw it was at least the best, even if some scenes had no real sense.

A company/business is much more complex than that. Given the exact corporate structure of a C corporation down to an LLC. This video is the first video in a line of consistent content for online network such as youtube. As we also perform business outside of the online world as well. :)

The reason for the art direction taken with this short is due to the balance between the game and how it is played. When you play DayZ, it is the atmospheric experience that reaches you, not a story. That is something I wanted to be truthful to and bring into the short. Also considering it is the story of one's journey through DayZ. Hence the title 

DSLR's are a very common camera as well as a very good alternative to renting/buying a $30,000 camera. Especially considering this is a new company. 

Corridor Digital is a small production company based on youtube in which whom used DSLR's when they first started making shorts, now that they have found success at it, they have moved to high end cameras such as the Red Scarlett. We aim to reach this level if our videos end up working out! 

The camera we used was a Canon70D with a 200mm lens attached to a Professional Camera rig with a pull focus and a matte box. A bit more than just any DSLR hook-up. :D

Thanks for your comment! It would be more useful to me if you could be a bit more constructive, that way I know what to improve on and what to upgrade! :)

Edited by Lotims

-snip-

Thanks for your comment! It would be more useful to me if you could be a bit more constructive, that way I know what to improve on and what to upgrade! :)

Ay,

hope u didn't got me wrong, i appreciate every creative output, so i do yours.

Also i like workin with dslrs too, cuz, well, you allready called it.

It's just, in the last 5 years u can see more and more output like that in web 2.0 by so called "production companys" - but the most didn't have that "professional" setup like yours, they only throw a cheap dslr on a selfmade glidecam and play around with filters.

Your video fits the ambient of dayz pretty good, i like it - the effects seems not that bad, the sounds is also pretty okay, mainly bcuz u prolly constructed themself.

The first scene was shot like the camera acts as someone who's involved (documentary style) but then stops and changes as it was a third party - might be intented, but i'd prefer stick to one stylistic device, like you did in the rest of the clip.

The camera at minute 4 is pretty shaky, even if it's intened to be dynamic it looked like the cameraman had to change stance or something like that - also the whole scene gets ruined due the high brightness coming from outside, that could be easy corrected in pp.

Odd footage, you have 2 scenes (helioverly woodland) and seconde (riverside crane?) - it's pretty obvious they wasn't shot for that reel and if u really sayin that was your footage, then please use more of this.

Not talkin about actors and the script.

There are few more little things could round that clip up, but all in all you managed to catch the atmosphere of dayz.

Just my 2cents, food for thoughts

btw.: vid is full of kos, but hell, thats dayz :D

Edited by Guest

Nice video, would like to see some more hero/bandit (Not just KOS) action, kind of got me off when everyone just killed each other, although the majority of the players do this. Same goes for the whole 'no talking' thing.

I can relate to the axe guy and how he died, was a total waste just like in-game when people kill fresh spawns.

Ay,

hope u didn't got me wrong, i appreciate every creative output, so i do yours.

Also i like workin with dslrs too, cuz, well, you allready called it.

It's just, in the last 5 years u can see more and more output like that in web 2.0 by so called "production companys" - but the most didn't have that "professional" setup like yours, they only throw a cheap dslr on a selfmade glidecam and play around with filters.

Your video fits the ambient of dayz pretty good, i like it - the effects seems not that bad, the sounds is also pretty okay, mainly bcuz u prolly constructed themself.

The first scene was shot like the camera acts as someone who's involved (documentary style) but then stops and changes as it was a third party - might be intented, but i'd prefer stick to one stylistic device, like you did in the rest of the clip.

The camera at minute 4 is pretty shaky, even if it's intened to be dynamic it looked like the cameraman had to change stance or something like that - also the whole scene gets ruined due the high brightness coming from outside, that could be easy corrected in pp.

Odd footage, you have 2 scenes (helioverly woodland) and seconde (riverside crane?) - it's pretty obvious they wasn't shot for that reel and if u really sayin that was your footage, then please use more of this.

Not talkin about actors and the script.

There are few more little things could round that clip up, but all in all you managed to catch the atmosphere of dayz.

Just my 2cents, food for thoughts

btw.: vid is full of kos, but hell, thats dayz :D

Oh alright!. I understand now. I completely agree with you. The internet has become so saturated with the same type of content that I can completely understand how it can get annoying for people to do the same thing over and over like you described. 

I agree with you on the first scene deal. That was something I wished to have changed. Next time I'll make sure to stick to one device as such :)

I can also see what you mean at the 4 minute mark as well. Most of the shake was done on purpose because we were using a pretty heavy camera rig that when holding, added a bit of shake to the shots. That specific barn shot was done on purpose, however, I can definitely see your point there. The brightness was also done on purpose. To demonstrate the silhouette of the character as he walked in 

I see what you are saying about those two aerial shots. Blending must be improved then, got it! :D

Thanks for the stuff! I will keep that in mind on my next productions. Thank you very much for your feedback on it! 

Edited by Lotims

This is pretty amazing stuff here, really liked the video and it gives a totally different perspective at what the game would look like in real life.

Good effects, might be my computer but the shooting sounded a little hollow, not to take anything away from you though!

This is pretty amazing stuff here, really liked the video and it gives a totally different perspective at what the game would look like in real life.

Good effects, might be my computer but the shooting sounded a little hollow, not to take anything away from you though!

Thank you! Some of the shots sound hollow due to the reduction in bass for some of them, I did this because I didn't want to kill headphone users by going over 7db like I have in the past haha. That is definitely something I need to perfect however :) 

Nice video, would like to see some more hero/bandit (Not just KOS) action, kind of got me off when everyone just killed each other, although the majority of the players do this. Same goes for the whole 'no talking' thing.

I can relate to the axe guy and how he died, was a total waste just like in-game when people kill fresh spawns.

Thanks! I guess I was trying to aim towards a more DayZ appearance. We did have an entire scene cut out due to some issues with how it fit in. It involved an entire gameshow and huge dialogue pieces at the end after the character gets shot. It follows the player whom shot the Main Character and shows how he dies later on through a really psychotic group of bandits. I will be posting this on our second channel as an extra scene soon! 

I can also relate to the initial death in the short. As this has happened to me and many people I know MANY different times haha. 

Would you ever consider doing any voicing? Meeting up with actual friendly people? Like on the game you do sometimes, perhaps bandaging up, handing over supplies/food/drink etc.. just a thought. :)

+1 Great video.  I had the same thought about going from (semi) 1st person in the opening sequence to 3rd person for the rest of the video.  I still loved it all the same.

Nice! Thanks for sharing! Really enjoyed that.

My only complaint is of personal opinion with all the human characters killing each other for loot. It was a pretty accurate rendition of the game, but for me it took some of the "realism/live-action" out of it for a more virtual reality game feel. But taken it's real life DayZ, it's almost perfect! :thumbsup:

Would you ever consider doing any voicing? Meeting up with actual friendly people? Like on the game you do sometimes, perhaps bandaging up, handing over supplies/food/drink etc.. just a thought. :)

Hmm. Don't quite understand what you are asking. Are you asking if I would ever considering meeting up with people and giving them supplies? 

+1 Great video.  I had the same thought about going from (semi) 1st person in the opening sequence to 3rd person for the rest of the video.  I still loved it all the same.

Hey Thanks! May I ask what do you mean by 1st person and 3rd person? :)

Nice! Thanks for sharing! Really enjoyed that.

My only complaint is of personal opinion with all the human characters killing each other for loot. It was a pretty accurate rendition of the game, but for me it took some of the "realism/live-action" out of it for a more virtual reality game feel. But taken it's real life DayZ, it's almost perfect! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the awesome words! :)