darksteeljorge

Useful books

Hello! I see you click my post. Okay not but you are here so continue reading !

So as everyone knows there are books in Standalone. If you don't know you're stupid. 

No one wants them

What about making books useful. There is already one book that teaches you Russian.

Maybe it would be cool that there were books that contain more useful content like medic books, dairies and books that tell you where to find something like a heli crash that has loot  or books that guide you to craft something can be useful

This is my brilliant idea. Please post your opinions and remember, if you take them by their balls their mind and hearth will follow.

:beans:  :beans:  :beans: 

Edited by Jorge_Assad
  • Like 3

Interesting idea enough. Like a Skyrim type book system would be pretty cool I reckon.  

• Like 1

Sounds good, but there are already several people using meta data from the web to obtain all those informations. Still it would make the game more genuine.

I found a pristine copy of The Art of War that has served me well in my travels ^_^

I would like actually 'useful' books though once we get base building and vehicle repair/customizing, as in you have to 'read' (use) a book on carpentry to be able to construct wood walls/barricades or find a specific car's manual to begin repairing it.

Edited by Amias Free
  • Like 1

i dont agree with "skill" books like skyrim. where you just open the cover and are magically granted the ability to blacksmith some steel into weapons.

It should be more like you actually have to read the book to get the information relevant to the game, such as a journal of medicine, which for example 1 page could tell you what blood types are compatible with what.  Or books with crafting receipes, such as medicine could have how to make a splint (99% of people know you combine a stick with a bandage, but using it as an example) or a survivalists guide that tells you how to create the courier backpack, aswell as future things like how to make an animal snare trap (id assume rope, sticks and food?)

• Like 2

I'm no talking like a skyrim system where you click read and boalah! you learned something. I mean books that you actually read to learn something or find something 

i dont agree with "skill" books like skyrim. where you just open the cover and are magically granted the ability to blacksmith some steel into weapons.

It should be more like you actually have to read the book to get the information relevant to the game, such as a journal of medicine, which for example 1 page could tell you what blood types are compatible with what.  Or books with crafting receipes, such as medicine could have how to make a splint (99% of people know you combine a stick with a bandage, but using it as an example) or a survivalists guide that tells you how to create the courier backpack, aswell as future things like how to make an animal snare trap (id assume rope, sticks and food?)

I agree with this but the only thing I have a little issue with is that this is actually more unrealistic in a way - because once the character you used to read this dies, the next one will know what was read in a previous life because the player remembers. I don't think an RPG system would be good but it does make a little more sense in a game where respawning from a fresh start is a central part of the game.

The problem with this is that once a couple of people have read the useful books they will all be on the interwebs and the 'useful' books will become obsolete once again and people will stop reading them except for RP reasons (or if you just fancy the stories I guess).

To me, the idea of a Skyrim-like learning system makes more sense in a game because you have no way of learning the skills until you actually read the books and the knowledge dies with your character. But we're talking realism vs. what works in a game here so I doubt that everyone will ever agree on the 'right' way of doing a thing like this.

Edit: ... so basically what tatchell said.

Another idea could be recipe-like books that would for example grant you the ability to combine items to craft more advanced items within fields like base-building or medicin. Or maybe things like you aren't able to make a splint without having read the book first? (granted, it should be a fairly common book).

Edited by Elpollodiablo

I've carried around War and Peace before ditching it for the Russian language book: thought I'd read it and itdtbe useful as a way to bash people's heads in. With that size, it's a one got kill.

with the new life thing, although it is less realistic that we would of read the book in a previous life, its the same as we automatically know where we are and where to go, like oh i spawned in 3 valleys i should go north and loot the town. think its a tough balance

personally, if there was books that had stuff like recipes or medical advice, i would keep them in my stash so I could go back and consult them in when needed, and would sooner do that then tab out and check the internet.  (and the internet already has stuff like blood transfusion guides etc, so having it in game wouldnt hurt)

I once made a papier-mache mosin from someone's library during a rainy day in Gorka.  Sprayed it black and held up bambies for their beans and fizzies on the way to NEAF.

Happy days.

• Like 1

As long as the already ingame used books will not be removed: Yes. Its just... I like the idea of 'useless' stuff in an survival-game. And I also like it to carry some good books with me around, although I never have the time to actually read some sides. I guess this is called game-dept. The feeling of having something with you... some kind of rest-civilization. Some kind of rest-culture. The books does not need to fulfill a purpose, it is just great that they are implented.

great idea!

i would love to be able to gain some ingame infos by reading a book i find.

This could range from a "personal notebook" about zombi behaviour to a "flora and fauna book" telling me which berrys are eatable and where i find good places for hunting.

with the new life thing, although it is less realistic that we would of read the book in a previous life, its the same as we automatically know where we are and where to go, like oh i spawned in 3 valleys i should go north and loot the town. think its a tough balance

personally, if there was books that had stuff like recipes or medical advice, i would keep them in my stash so I could go back and consult them in when needed, and would sooner do that then tab out and check the internet.  (and the internet already has stuff like blood transfusion guides etc, so having it in game wouldnt hurt)

I agree - it would also come in handy as complexety rises with the ongoing implementation of things to craft...

It simply breaks emersion totally every time i have to TAB out of the game to get certain information about items or gamemechanics.

It could also help the lack of explenation to new players, as still there is no tutorial or any other form of direct information to unexperienced players.

keep up the good work!

If you don't know you're stupid. 

anyway...

maybe you could burn them in campfires to keep them alive?

Books in game, what a Novel Idea.

And something to do at night.

A simple thing to add in, with some relevance to society, and no reason to be upset if you don't read.  Since it is something to do.

I've got my copy of Call of Cthulu, and thats all I'll ever need.

How about this: We can keep a personal notebook, (if we find one). Any info we glean from other books, we can scrible inside for reference. If we die, the notebook is lootable object. My memory is bad and I wouldn't mind keeping a crafting/cooking/medicine "recipe notebook". Being Greek I would like to write the info in my native language... see how usefull this will be to the next bandit who kills me :p