Sign in to follow this  
ShaftoeX

Magazine Spawns

I'm not sure if this is a design choice, something that hasn't been thought about yet, or merely something that hasn't been balanced yet.

If its #3, then no worries, i can wait.  If its #1 or #2, here is my 0.02.

Currently, I believe the spawn tables for guns are hosed.  What we have are essentially three ranks of weapons, as I see it:

Civilian weapons - sportster, the over and under rifle, the shotgun, 0.22 pistol unsilenced (not in the game ... yet?) and argueable the 9mm pistol

High tier civilian weapons (e.g. police equipment or hunting weapons) - SKS, Mousin

Military weapons - silenced 0.22, the two 45 pistols, M-4, etc.

You can quible with my categorizations, thats not really the issue.  The issue is that the 'civilian weapons' are not properly distributed.  Weapons like the 22 sportster should be found in some numbers in houses or deerstands.  Currently, they are more likely to be found in police stations. (Police with a 0.22? )  Worse yet, the magazines for all weapons are only found in barracks and hangars. 

Essentially, a gearing up run in DayzSA consists of finding a .357 in a low tier drop (e.g. firestation), since it doesn't need mags.  Then, head to a military base, which is the only place to find a magazine for any gun, including pistols, and 0.22 long rifles.  Because of the chambering mechanics in the game, its essentially impossible to use a weapon like the sportster without a magazine.  I suppose it wouldnt be so bad if you could chamber the rifle with a keystroke, but the menu mechanics don't allow that.

Ultiamtely, if you want to play with a low tier weapon, which I've been itching to try, you have to go to the high end loot spawn locations, which kinda defeats the point.  I think the team really needs to think through the loot tables to make a more sane decision of how progression should occur (or not, as players choose) in the experience.

Of course, if this is all planned but not yet implemented, then never mind :)

-Shaftoe

Last time I used the sporter, you could chamber it by pressing f. Not sure if I was on experimental or not. Also, I found an SKS in a building that I've never seen a gun spawn in on a experimental server, an unlooted two story red wood-panneling house. So I guess they have guns spawning rarely in civ places in the works, either that or they always did and are just extremely rare.

i actually managed to find the 1911 and fnx mags in the fire station and police station, respectively. naturally i didnt find the guns anywhere, but did find a different gun that takes none of the ammo i have.  good old dayz lol

I already made a thread about this (or at least the .22 magazines anyway) in suggestions and I believe acolyte is looking into it. :thumbsup:

Hopefully these weapons will see more use if the magazines spawn in civilian locations.

Edited by TheScruffyBandit