Buffies

Why is DayZ Standalone not for the Mac

Hi guys. This is a very serious question and I really need a detailed explanation of why DayZ Standalone version is not on for the Mac? This seems to bother me a lot because yes, we do have many PC gamers in the world, but some people already have the Mac and wants to play the game and not spend another $1000 (less or more depending on what you get) for a PC computer. I do not want to bootcamp my mac since I feel insecure about it (ex. if it breaks on me, what happens next?).

I really want to know why and please, if the one of you guys are working on the game, please tell me so I have a clear understanding of what is going on.

If anyone knows, that would be fine too, but be mature since I am very serious about it.

Thank you for your cooperation. Hope I can find some answers.

I appreciate your passion/wanting for DayZ to come out as a title for Mac as well, but openly going into detailed business decisions as to why DayZ is not being developed for platform X, Y, or Z is too tall an order I'm afraid.

All I can tell you is (as you most likely already know) that DayZ has so far only been announced for one other platform - PS4.

A mac is just a more expensive PC with a different chassie and OS.  It doesn't "suck", its just catered at a different audience. Just dualboot with windows and you can play all the games you want.

I feel like the Mac and the PC are great computers, but your answer seems a bit off. There are many computer games that work for both PCs and Macs so it does not mean that both computers are two different devices (ex. both of them can download Google Chrome). I feel like DayZ Standalone is still in Alpha, so right now the developers are still working out the kinks. From the other posts earlier, I believe that they need more time fixing up the game, then they will probably make it available for the Mac.

Okay, here is the basics on differences between Macs and PCs.

Mac computers are all proprietary.  Apple builds them in a way that they will accept very limited hardware changes to them. The hardware is basically the SAME as a PC except you have to get the majority of it from Apple directly. Because of that Apple can assure you that they use quality parts but can also make you pay top dollar for those part. If you don't buy a premade system or something from BestBuy you can get twice as much power in dependable parts for a PC for the same price you would spend on a similar Apple. The issue is you need to know what you are doing and basically put it together yourself. Now a pre-built PC you can get half again as much power as you would for the same priced Mac, or maybe a bit more in one area, but they will skimp someplace else, so you might get a much faster processor and video card, but the drive speed will suck or you have limited slots for cards. 

So hardware wise Macs are awesome for people who won't know what makes up a good computer. Buying a Mac means you will have a decent computer, but you will pay more. That isn't a bad thing. 

With the Operating System... Windows is an annoying OS, but nearly everything is compatible with it. Mac OS X is solid, but when it comes to games almost nothing is ported over for it, and it has to be ported because it is different enough that the developer either has to use something that is compatible with both systems and write the code once(and usually tie themselves into lower expectations because they have to use tools that are not specific and thus not very advanced in many cases) or write it for Windows then turn around and use what they can but in many ways rewrite it for Mac. 

So software wise you can develop it to take advantage of specific code in a given OS and not use very much power... OR you can write it to work in each but not do particularly well in either OS. 

Now, since the hardware is basically the same(expect you are paying for the Mac version) you can use Bootcamp to have your computer ask what OS you want to start it up in. When you want to play a game you can start it in Windows if you have a legitimate copy to install. When doing other things you can boot it into Mac OS. 

My personal thought is that you should just buy the right tool for the job and if you are dead set on playing games buy a decently priced desktop with decent hardware and load Windows 7 64 bit on it. That is the best setup one can have for games at the moment. 

Devs said they will do a Mac version after release, they have a hard enough time just trying to optimize it for PCs it seems. 

I think they said they would consider doing it.

i ran dayz on a bootcamp mac book pro

Ran like a  turtle

specs are specs

the issue with macs is they are built for design/gen pop.

custom PC is built to your spec.

to get a store bought mac with the HP to run SA takes a fair whack of cash.

It needs an i7 3.5 ghz+ and a dedicated gfx card (gtx 5xx or amd 270+)

a base i7 quad core over clocked/ decent ram/gtx 570 =  approx $300 for barebones.

you cant beat that...to get these specs on a mac your spending 3-4x the amount.

stupid macs