Buffies

Why is DayZ Standalone not for the Mac

Hi guys. This is a very serious question and I really need a detailed explanation of why DayZ Standalone version is not on for the Mac? This seems to bother me a lot because yes, we do have many PC gamers in the world, but some people already have the Mac and wants to play the game and not spend another $1000 (less or more depending on what you get) for a PC computer. I do not want to bootcamp my mac since I feel insecure about it (ex. if it breaks on me, what happens next?).

I really want to know why and please, if the one of you guys are working on the game, please tell me so I have a clear understanding of what is going on.

If anyone knows, that would be fine too, but be mature since I am very serious about it.

Thank you for your cooperation. Hope I can find some answers.

Because Macs suck.

And because the engine was only designed with pcs in mind (AFAIK).

• Like 13

Devs said they will do a Mac version after release, they have a hard enough time just trying to optimize it for PCs it seems. Remember its in alpha and every little patch fixes two things and breaks ten, totally overhauling it so Mac users can get in on the buggy goodness would be counterproductive.

Just use bootcamp for now if you really want to play, it won't hurt anything that you can't fix easily (if it 'hurts' anything at all), I'm sure.

Edited by Amias Free
  • Like 3

Because as far as I know the only Mac that even has the hardware to play something such as DayZ is the Mac Pro that costs $3000 at minimum(and has the power of a $800 custom built PC)

Macs are just not meant for gaming, they are meant for work and casual computer/internet use.

• Like 2

Friend of mine is using a mac, too. If your mac is strong enough you could try emulating windumb, but I guess that's not a legitimate solution. My friend is using his mainly for his work, audio recordings, etc. pp. - Macs are workstations IMO. But in the last years and with the upcoming apple 'success' more and more people get 'tricked' into the franchise. And others jump on that train, too. E.g. Steam - I don't know if there is a mac version planned but I don't see why there shouldn't be one, but don't except one within' the next year or so. Apple has great compatibility (uh hard word) but that's not the case for games. I guess this will change in the next years but until then the best solution would be to buy a PC. You don't need to invest 1000bucks there are PC's especially if you build them yourself for much less and still would give a good shot for the next 5 years. Rig the PC after those 5 years and you have another 5 years good to go. Imho ~1000bucks invested over 10 years is more than enough.

Edited by sm00tje

Devs said they will do a Mac version after release, they have a hard enough time just trying to optimize it for PCs it seems. Remember its in alpha and every little patch fixes two things and breaks ten, totally overhauling it so Mac users can get in on the buggy goodness would be counterproductive.

Just use bootcamp for now if you really want to play, it won't hurt anything that you can't fix easily (if it 'hurts' anything at all), I'm sure.

Thanks for the information. I know the game is still in alpha and I would guess it is still in need for development. That pretty much guess the whole "not in the Mac thing." But you are probably right. Hopefully it will come out on the Macs when it is fully developed.

• Like 1

Because Macs suck.

And because the engine was only designed with pcs in mind (AFAIK).

You have to be more detailed in your answer. Macs are relatively good in my opinion. Just because it can not play most games and are not compatible with many things unlike the PC, you can not assume that Macs are horrible. 

Please gave me a detailed explanation as to why you have a mac but want to play video games...

I use my MacBook everyday because I have work and other things to do. I just found out of this game and I thought it is pretty cool (since I love apocalyptic/horror stories, films, etc). I just do not want to spend money on another computer just to play this game.

I use my MacBook everyday because I have work and other things to do. I just found out of this game and I thought it is pretty cool (since I love apocalyptic/horror stories, films, etc). I just do not want to spend money on another computer just to play this game.

Well sorry to break it to you buddy, but that's like asking why a blu-ray player can't run Halo.

Two different devices for two different things. It's harder to develop games for macs.

If you're going to want to play really anything more than TF2, then you're gonna have to get a PC.

(However, you should be able to use bootcamp to run dayz. I don't have much knowledge in that area however.)

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 1

Friend of mine is using a mac, too. If your mac is strong enough you could try emulating windumb, but I guess that's not a legitimate solution. My friend is using his mainly for his work, audio recordings, etc. pp. - Macs are workstations IMO. But in the last years and with the upcoming apple 'success' more and more people get 'tricked' into the franchise. And others jump on that train, too. E.g. Steam - I don't know if there is a mac version planned but I don't see why there shouldn't be one, but don't except one within' the next year or so. Apple has great compatibility (uh hard word) but that's not the case for games. I guess this will change in the next years but until then the best solution would be to buy a PC. You don't need to invest 1000bucks there are PC's especially if you build them yourself for much less and still would give a good shot for the next 5 years. Rig the PC after those 5 years and you have another 5 years good to go. Imho ~1000bucks invested over 10 years is more than enough.

Yes, I use mac for work and other things. I guess I just need to wait for the full game to come out since I do not want to spend money on another computer. Thank you for the information though. Really appreciate it.

Well sorry to break it to you buddy, but that's like asking why a blu-ray player can't run Halo.

Two different devices for two different things. It's harder to develop games for macs.

If you're going to want to play really anything more than TF2, then you're gonna have to get a PC.

(However, you should be able to use bootcamp to run dayz. I don't have much knowledge in that area however.)

I feel like the Mac and the PC are great computers, but your answer seems a bit off. There are many computer games that work for both PCs and Macs so it does not mean that both computers are two different devices (ex. both of them can download Google Chrome). I feel like DayZ Standalone is still in Alpha, so right now the developers are still working out the kinks. From the other posts earlier, I believe that they need more time fixing up the game, then they will probably make it available for the Mac.

• Like 1

I feel like the Mac and the PC are great computers, but your answer seems a bit off. There are many computer games that work for both PCs and Macs so it does not mean that both computers are two different devices (ex. both of them can download Google Chrome). I feel like DayZ Standalone is still in Alpha, so right now the developers are still working out the kinks. From the other posts earlier, I believe that they need more time fixing up the game, then they will probably make it available for the Mac.

What mac exactly do you have? I think what a lot of people are trying to say here is that most macs do not have the hardware power to play intensive games, which is true. In the end even if they got DayZ working for mac OS odds are it will not run on anything but the best(and most expensive) macs, and probably will not even run it WELL.

Edited by Plexico

That's just not true. If a game supports mac it often has less requirements on the cpu but more on the memory. The most problems I see with gaming on a mac is the videocard, in some cases only some videocards are supported. Said friend of mine asked me for a good game, last week. Saw that bioshock infinite is available for mac. He bought it and it runs better on his mac than on my PC, altough we almost have the same hardware in terms of perfomance it runs better on his 'shitty' mac.

• Like 2

Because converting to Mac is a very difficult process. You'd essentially have to make two different versions alongside each other- one with DirectX and one without DirectX. It'd be easier (as in, actually feasible) to develop the PC version- what the engine is designed for- then make the Mac version once 1.0.0 releases.

• Like 1

I have a macbook pro from late 2012 and I run Dayz on it through BootCamp. I don't recommand it, as it's not a gaming computer and for it's price, you'll never see a decent balance between texture/render and fps but if you want to play pc games and you're stuck with a mac, that's how you do.

Because gaming with a Mac is like knocking nails in with a wrench.

Wrong tool for the job.

• Like 3

Because DayZ and all other BI Games are written on DirectX and not in OpenGL (or similar). DX is not compatible to mac or linux systems. There are ways to work around that problem but i think it has a realy low priorety, especially in this stage of the game.

That's just not true. If a game supports mac it often has less requirements on the cpu but more on the memory. The most problems I see with gaming on a mac is the videocard, in some cases only some videocards are supported. Said friend of mine asked me for a good game, last week. Saw that bioshock infinite is available for mac. He bought it and it runs better on his mac than on my PC, altough we almost have the same hardware in terms of perfomance it runs better on his 'shitty' mac.

This is purely anecdotal and not representative of Mac's or PC's. You didn't even post up specs of either machine.

Hi guys. This is a very serious question and I really need a detailed explanation of why DayZ Standalone version is not on for the Mac? This seems to bother me a lot because yes, we do have many PC gamers in the world, but some people already have the Mac and wants to play the game and not spend another $1000 (less or more depending on what you get) for a PC computer. I do not want to bootcamp my mac since I feel insecure about it (ex. if it breaks on me, what happens next?).

I really want to know why and please, if the one of you guys are working on the game, please tell me so I have a clear understanding of what is going on.

If anyone knows, that would be fine too, but be mature since I am very serious about it.

Thank you for your cooperation. Hope I can find some answers.

The main reason is that Bohemia doesn't have enough staff dedicated to DayZ to be able to work efficiently on developing the game for multiple platforms at the same time. Triple A studios can have up to a 1000 people working on a single game. It makes more sense  in general for a smaller developer to first develop the game on a single platform and then port it over to another, so as to avoid bugs and peformance issues that would arise from a hastily done port.

There might also be an issue with the team's know-how, when it comes to the Mac/Linux architecture. As far as I know, Bohemia have only worked with Windows before.

Edited by TheSodesa

And that's where you're wrong.

I'm typing this on a Mac and I have a MacBook Air and numerous iOS devices at home.

My 2011 MacBook Pro (shortly to be replaced by a Retina MBP) plays XCOM Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within very nicely on the 27" Cinema Display it's linked to.

Mac gaming is fine if you don't mind waiting a year for a very limited number of AAA titles to be ported over so you can play them at reduced detail and/or frame rates.

However, if you want to play PC games at full detail and 60+fps, you need a decent gaming PC.

Topic cleaned. This is not a discussion about why Windows is supposedly better.

Please refrain from posting anything further in that direction or appropriate actions will be taken.

Edited by kichilron

Because as far as I know the only Mac that even has the hardware to play something such as DayZ is the Mac Pro that costs $3000 at minimum(and has the power of a $800 custom built PC)

Macs are just not meant for gaming, they are meant for work and casual computer/internet use.

I play DayZ on a macbook pro. Admittedly in bootcamp, it runs perfectly at 1080p and the graphics are great. Watchdogs runs brilliantly, again in bootcamp. Natively to Mac, the Borderlands saga is stunning. I don't know why people seem to think you can't game on a mac.

DayZ Standalone works perfect on the highest settings on my Mac whilst streaming at 60FPS, Here is what i'm running:

3.4 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB

So if you have a mac with at least 4gb Ram and some sort of a graphics card (Not Intel HD) you should be fine.

As for bootcamp, don't be afraid to do it , if you have a licensed copy of Windows, just follow the instructions in the Bootcamp application on your mac, its really easy to do, but you might want to at least assign it 100GB for the partition, you will also want to get a better mouse, as the magic mouse can be quiet awkward for playing any sort of game.

http://www.twitch.tv/crackntv

Edited by ELGringoLoco