c00lface

Looking back, Do you think that EA release was a good idea?

You say that like it is a totally bad thing. They are creating a similar game that I can almost 100% guarantee will not provide the same survival depth as DayZ, making it an easier pickup and play game. In the end people who want a simpler game will move on and those of us who like the complexity of DayZ will remain here and not have to filter through all the casual players asking for things to be made easier, adding in HUDs, etc.

Well, it is a bad thing to some extent. I'm sure most dire fans of DayZ, and maybe even the creators, see it the same way you do. However, I don't believe BI executives share the same enthusiasm of some of the player base leaving for a different game.

Casual players consist of a big portion of the current player base. BI would be facing potential losses if this chunk started to recommend a competitive product to their like-minded friends instead of DayZ, which would have a negative impact on the ongoing development.

Putting it simply - ditching the derping and complaining noobs is bad in the eyes of those who call the shots.

So, as title says, do you think that releasing this game in its state as EA alpha back in december was a good idea? Do you think it needed more work even for an alpha release? Or maybe more features implemented?

dayz is probably the best pc game ever made, even in its current state, there is no other game like it, why would it not be a good idea to release it in alpha for testing? seems a pointless topic/question to me,op

Yes and no.

IYes:

-Capitalized on the hype from the mod (or what was left of it)

- beat any major competition (H1Z1)

No:

Extremely unfinished 

As a producer the early release was the best choice, as a consumer it would have been a good wait. 

I don't think your negative point is even valid. The consumer knew exactly what they were purchasing, it's their own fault if they're not happy with it being 'unfinished.'

Well, it is a bad thing to some extent. I'm sure most dire fans of DayZ, and maybe even the creators, see it the same way you do. However, I don't believe BI executives share the same enthusiasm of some of the player base leaving for a different game.

Casual players consist of a big portion of the current player base. BI would be facing potential losses if this chunk started to recommend a competitive product to their like-minded friends instead of DayZ, which would have a negative impact on the ongoing development.

Putting it simply - ditching the derping and complaining noobs is bad in the eyes of those who call the shots.

If they are going to leave they will leave, unless dayz becomes what it is not to keep them here. In the end they will still own the game and play it from time to time just like I may buy H1Z1 and play it on the odd occasion when I need a DayZ break, DayZ will be my go to game primarily though. Gaming choice is always a good thing, you don't need to dedicate yourself to 1 game to remain loyal.

They can encourage their friends to play another game just like I will and have encouraged and introduced mine to DayZ.

DayZ has nearly a 2 million player base, I don't think it's going to become dead anytime soon.

Edited by akafugitive

it was a bad idea, to release dayz-sa in that horrible alpha-status

When H1Z1 will be released, they will kill DAYZ-SA. I do not think they will have such a big success at start like dayz, but they will slowly grow up....

H1Z1 will already have at start the things what fans of dayz-sa are waiting for so long.

-basebuilding

-farming

-hunting

-vehicles

and maybe

- better zombies ?

I hope dean hall´s-team can beat them with their dayz-game. But anyway... SONY is a big company with much more guys I think...

The engine(take on helicopters) of dayz-sa is not made for such a game I think... - but, compliment otherwise, what rocket´s guys made of this engine... respect. DayZ will always feel like a flightsimulator-game, also like arma2-engine. It had been better, to take "source-engine" for dayz...

Edited by TiMEDANCE

If they are going to leave they will leave, unless dayz becomes what it is not to keep them here. In the end they will still own the game and play it from time to time just like I may buy H1Z1 and play it on the odd occasion when I need a DayZ break, DayZ will be my go to game primarily though. Gaming choice is always a good thing, you don't need to dedicate yourself to 1 game to remain loyal.

They can encourage their friends to play another game just like I will and have encouraged and introduced mine to DayZ.

DayZ has nearly a 2 million player base, I don't think it's going to become dead anytime soon.

I never said the game is going to "die". This never crossed my mind. I only meant to imply, that executives don't segregate players to the extent other players do. To them we are all units with a cash attribute, and it's always better if they leave later than sooner.

A portion of the player base leaving is going to mean cutting funding for additional content (and we're talking way after the game is released) sooner than later.

In the end they might try to make DayZ something that will keep them for longer, as you said. Hopefully this will never happen.

Watch the roadmap video it's all explained there, you're wrong, go back to bed.

POPULAR

There is a great deal of topics dealing with this, so I thought I would confirm what we will definately be doing, and give some background why they are not in yet. List not exhaustive and will be added too as time allows.

More Zombies

Target delivery: Ongoing     NOPE

We absolutely plan to have more zombies. To cope with the current total dynamic entity count of over 10000 we have had to make a great deal of optimizations. If loot is completely removed, we can easily run 4000 zombies in our debug builds. In the new year we will be optimizing the way we handle dynamic objects (such as loot) a great deal more which should give us significant savings - but the change was considered too risky to be done prior to alpha launch. If we had problems, we would have delayed the project further by months.

Multithreaded Server   

Target delivery: Early 2014 & Ongoing    NOPE

To assist with increasing player and zombie numbers, we will be parallelizing the server architecture. Currently RV does offload some extra threads off to other cores, but this is for rendering and file handling - neither of which are issues for the dedicated server which uses no rendering and has a greatly reduced file footprint. This should provide some very, very dramatic improvement in performance where additional cores are available. Note, however, that this will increase the complexity of hosting DayZ - it may mean that we see a greater dispersion in the capacities of DayZ servers.

Respawning Zombies & Loot

Target Delivery: Early 2014      NOPE

Currently to have the server check if something needs respawning can cause an issue with performance. We did not want to go with a "scripted" solution for respawning, and it is expensive on server performance. Player spawning on the coast is conducted by the engine, and we are going to employ a similar process for managing zombie and loot spawn (possibly parallelized). This is a high priority task and zombie respawn at least is very close to being implemented.

Server Management Options

Target Delivery: Ongoing      NOPE

Additional options for those hosting servers will be rolled out as soon as we can. We want to encourage a "hardcore" mode that will operate on a separate database, featuring things like first person only, no hide body, etc... In addition, we also want to provide passworded servers that will operate on their own shard of the database. This shard could be grouped, so that a group of passworded servers could operate on their own database. Eventually, we would like to see these different communities on their own db running their own variations of DayZ to meet specific communities needs.

Animals & Hunting

Target Delivery: Early 2014     NOPE

The AI for animals is based on the new AI for zombies (some will notice the old local ambient animals making zombie noises and acting aggressively!). We have a cutdown version of this we will be using for hosting animals, including those from ArmA2 as well as new animals such as a deer. We already have the meat models made, and we have the basics of cooking. So this functionality is quite close. It does have an impact on the server, and at the moment we could only run about 300 animals per server without seriously impacting performance (until we have started additional server optimization).

Additional Anti-hack and Security

Target Delivery: Late 2013      NOPE

We are working on additional anti-hack to supplement the implementation of VAC. We have been working closely with Valve for VAC as well as our other anti-hack partner. Details of this will be released shortly. The most important thing to remember is that anti-hack is really the secondary defense - the primary defense should be good architecture. We have already identified (and fixed) several key vulnerabilities in the three days since launch. There are more we know about and I am sure more we don't. The purpose of this early phase of alpha is to identify and fix those. As our architecture now relies on the server controlling and adjudicating everything, we can close off locally controlled functions and back doors - which is what we have been doing.

Cooking & Gathering Resources

Target Delivery: Early 2014     NOPE

This is a system that was not completed prior to the alpha launch so is half-done. Additional work will be done and pushed when we can. This will include gas cookers (already ingame) and the creation of fireplaces. We will be allowing players to gather resources from the world, such as firewood, stones, etc... This will then be utilized by the existing crafting system.

A counter your roadmap, with a road map :)

Lol, 8 pages of utter craptastic nonsense and now I've heard it all: it's steams fault for allowing us to buy EA dayz SA!

Wow! What happened to let the buyer beware? You all seriously want steam to hold your hand and tell you what games to buy? Are you so incredibly weak-willed that you buy whatever you get "hyped" up about, that you are here crying because you bought into the "hype."

EA is what it is, when the majority of people stop paying into them, they will cease to be marketable. Most of you cry babies here believe that it's a bad concept, however you obviously aren't in the majority because EA games are selling left and right, so you can either continue to buy them and therefore continue to cry about them, OR you can...

Stop investing money into the "hype." The biggest impact you could ever make in this regard is to vote with your dollars. I thought this was obvious, don't buy into "hype." You people act like it's heroin...

If EA upsets you, gets you paranoid, makes you feel uneasy, then i suggest you stop paying into them, or at least be a smart consumer about your purchasing and make an informed decision. Yes, that means doing more research that watching a lul video on Youtube...

In terms of Dayz, $30 well spent and look, steam doesn't need to change my pampers...

Edited by ptk
  • Like 1

So, as title says, do you think that releasing this game in its state as EA alpha back in december was a good idea? Do you think it needed more work even for an alpha release? Or maybe more features implemented?

well, if the alpha would be a tad better, and people would still play the arma 3 dayz mod and arma 2 dayz mod more, i guess i'd be happier

• Like 1

well, if the alpha would be a tad better, and people would still play the arma 3 dayz mod and arma 2 dayz mod more, i guess i'd be happier

go for dayz-mod ! :))

Edited by TiMEDANCE

Its good fr everyone, because the dev team needs feedback my a large amount of players, and we want dayz

Believing they actually released this broken alpha because "we asked for it" is pretty naive. At the end of the day, Rocket is just a designer... releasing this alpha before christmas was BI's exectutives decision

troll. theres no such thing as a "broken alpha" (haha, it's like "dead corpse"), and you were warned, indeed.   and why start a questionnaire if you already have made your mind up and you don't care for opposite opinions?

• Like 3

yea I was also struggling to wrap my head around the "broken alpha" part.

I never said the game is going to "die". This never crossed my mind. I only meant to imply, that executives don't segregate players to the extent other players do. To them we are all units with a cash attribute, and it's always better if they leave later than sooner.

A portion of the player base leaving is going to mean cutting funding for additional content (and we're talking way after the game is released) sooner than later.

In the end they might try to make DayZ something that will keep them for longer, as you said. Hopefully this will never happen.

But to appease the people who would leave would require changing the game design to what they want, if Deans vision is not what they want they will ultimately leave. I don't want to see Dean or BIS to change the vision of DayZ to suit the wants of the late joiners.

I'm not saying I want them to leave also but there are enough games that take the "safe" route to appease the masses. I am one of the minority that is unhappy with the direction mainstream games take and throughly enjoy the direction games like Arma 3 and DayZ are going, u would hate to see that vision die due to trying to appease the masses. In all honesty I don't think anyone could have predicted how huge the market was for not taking the "safe" route in game design in today's age of gaming.

Edited by akafugitive

But to appease the people who would leave would require changing the game design to what they want, if Deans vision is not what they want they will ultimately leave. I don't want to see Dean or BIS to change the vision of DayZ to suit the wants of the late joiners.

I'm not saying I want them to leave also but there are enough games that take the "safe" route to appease the masses. I am one of the minority that is unhappy with the direction mainstream games take and throughly enjoy the direction games like Arma 3 and DayZ are going, u would hate to see that vision die due to trying to appease the masses. In all honesty I don't think anyone could have predicted how huge the market was for not taking the "safe" route in game design in today's age of gaming.

I completely share your view. From a personal standpoint, I'd hate that to happen as well. It doesn't mean that I don't fear of what I wrote earlier. In fact, I fear it more then other problems of DayZ, because appeasing the crowd seems like the best executive decision for the studio (while exactly the opposite for the hardcore fans).

In the end it will all boil down to how much pressure the executives can put on Dean (or whomever will continue the vision) to shape the game towards casual crowd.

I'm also not familiar with BI shot callers and they could be the type of people who put the vision above financial gain, and if that is the case, I apologize for assuming the stereotype of a suited up CEO. :)

Sorry if I kind of vanished from this topic, I had issues with my computer during the past days and had no chance to check all these responses. Glad to see this thread got such attention.

troll. theres no such thing as a "broken alpha" (haha, it's like "dead corpse"), and you were warned, indeed.   and why start a questionnaire if you already have made your mind up and you don't care for opposite opinions?

It was my mistake using the word broken. What I mean is that this alpha, even months after release, has no core mechanics working properly. And I am talking about the core mechanics that make a zombie survival game. Of course its alpha, but its an alpha being sold for 30usd on the most popular gaming platform and in my opinion it should have these mechanics working in order to make the game fun to play. Ofc thats my opinion. Others might find it fun to play, but not me.

And  yes, I have my opinion on this topic but that doesn't mean it can change or that I don't care about others opinions. Its a forum after all.

I completely share your view. From a personal standpoint, I'd hate that to happen as well. It doesn't mean that I don't fear of what I wrote earlier. In fact, I fear it more then other problems of DayZ, because appeasing the crowd seems like the best executive decision for the studio (while exactly the opposite for the hardcore fans).

In the end it will all boil down to how much pressure the executives can put on Dean (or whomever will continue the vision) to shape the game towards casual crowd.

I'm also not familiar with BI shot callers and they could be the type of people who put the vision above financial gain, and if that is the case, I apologize for assuming the stereotype of a suited up CEO. :)

BIS has done a great job with creating great non-casual games before, including when they were paired with codemasters to make Operation Flashpoint(regardless of the bugs and all the stuff people commonly complain about), with and without Deans vision with DayZ and I'm sure the final product with DayZ will be no different. In some ways I wish DayZ had some of Arma3's elements and in some ways I wish Arma3 had DayZ's elements. I would take the bugs in BIS's game any day over having my tactical shooter options be limited to the big game studios. Rainbow 6 was once a great game that was also destroyed by casual play after Raven shield(Rogue spear being the best)

Edited by akafugitive

Zombies have been popular for decades. Presumably FIFA football 25 or whatever are running at a loss too right? Pop culture has nothing to do with anything when it comes to gaming as long as the game you make is a quality product. Gamers play great games when they come out.

You mean as summer approaches and the weather is better people aren't staying in doors to watch TV - wow, imagine that!

The zeds have been removed because they can't get the zeds right and they take up too many resources.

I don't know anyone that's "tired" of the zombie genre. Most people who are into it love any kind of zombie media and simply are not going to stop themselves buying a zombie game if it's amazing.

What the fuck are you talking about? I'm not talking about early access views - where did I say I was talking about early access reviews? If you sign up for EA then it's on you. I signed up for DayZ to support BIS for supporting the mod and would have done so if the SA was shit. I had 2 years with the mod for free so £20 was no big deal.

Other early access games I have no interest in. You wait for the finished product and the reviews to come out and if you can't do that expect to waste your money.

It's called making up your own facts to try and bolster a shitty argument.

mm, seriously? you really needed to flood the topic with 4 consecutive posts just to try proving me wrong?

You're really mad at me, arent you?

Let's answer to the posts like a good forum user would do:

1st post: NOPE, there's always a genre on highlight on a determined period.

For example, the 'main' games on the market migrated more or less like this on the last years:

racing/tuning games (NFS/Grand turismo), then FPS shooters (COD/BF), then MMOFPS games (like all these COD wannabes with pay to win bullshit like combat arms and so), then Sandbox RPGs (Skyrim, fallout new vegas) to Online sandbox survival games (rust, dayz, warz, nether, 7d2d, and all these games we see around today).

If you really think tendencies are eternal, you have some issues. It was basically streamers/youtubers that made the mod so famous, just like they did with minecraft, It's just a matter of time before another relevant new game genre come out and become pop in the internet media.

2nd post: people that you know doesnt mean shit, all people that i know dont have the urge to play more zombie survival games just because everything was already made into this genre, there's so much games out there that any game that comes out are a copy of some older game or falls into the common place of the 'zombies' cliche.

3rd post: you really seem stressed with my post son, i just stated the obvious: There's no way to review an unreleased game. If you got mad at me just because of that, i suggest you do both of us a favor and take some time out of these forums, it will be good for you.

4th post: Yeah, the pre-made answer when you dont know what to say. Just because dead made some slides saying that he'll do something, doesnt mean he will for sure do that, he went back on his word so many times that i dont know if any old forum member believes blindly on what he say.

Keep the hate flowing and i'll just ignore you, or you bring this argument to a mature level, or i wont argue at all.

Seems like being a dick really reveals the fanatic immature people on these forums, i dont want any other moderator on my ass, so i'll be nice from now on.

Edited by lipemr

mm, seriously? you really needed to flood the topic with 4 consecutive posts just to try proving me wrong?

You're really mad at me, arent you?

Let's answer to the posts like a good forum user would do:

1st post: NOPE, there's always a genre on highlight on a determined period.

For example, the 'main' games on the market migrated more or less like this on the last years:

racing/tuning games (NFS/Grand turismo), then FPS shooters (COD/BF), then MMOFPS games (like all these COD wannabes with pay to win bullshit like combat arms and so), then Sandbox RPGs (Skyrim, fallout new vegas) to Online sandbox survival games (rust, dayz, warz, nether, 7d2d, and all these games we see around today).

If you really think tendencies are eternal, you have some issues. It was basically streamers/youtubers that made the mod so famous, just like they did with minecraft, It's just a matter of time before another relevant new game genre come out and become pop in the internet media.

2nd post: people that you know doesnt mean shit, all people that i know dont have the urge to play more zombie survival games just because everything was already made into this genre, there's so much games out there that any game that comes out are a copy of some older game or falls into the common place of the 'zombies' cliche.

3rd post: you really seem stressed with my post son, i just stated the obvious: There's no way to review an unreleased game. If you got mad at me just because of that, i suggest you do both of us a favor and take some time out of these forums, it will be good for you.

4th post: Yeah, the pre-made answer when you dont know what to say. Just because dead made some slides saying that he'll do something, doesnt mean he will for sure do that, he went back on his word so many times that i dont know if any old forum member believes blindly on what he say.

Keep the hate flowing and i'll just ignore you, or you bring this argument to a mature level, or i wont argue at all.

Seems like being a dick really reveals the fanatic immature people on these forums, i dont want any other moderator on my ass, so i'll be nice from now on.

I'm not mad I'm correcting you. Also you were schooled over The Walking Dead in that the viewer-ship has increased, not decreased. You're making the claims, you provide the data to back it up.

• Like 1

I'm not mad I'm correcting you. Also you were schooled over The Walking Dead in that the viewer-ship has increased, not decreased. You're making the claims, you provide the data to back it up.

I was wrong about walking dead, but in the game industry, almost every developer is getting away from the zombie concept. The division, Evolve, rust, nether, the forest are there to prove it.

but anyway, i dont need to provide anything to someone that clearly is a fanatic and wont change his mind at all.

Arguing with people like you and caboose is like arguing with religious people, it wont take us anywhere and i'll only lose my time, and possibly get some warnings in the process.

From now on, i'll just ignore you two, ok? deal?

Now back on topic.

Edited by lipemr

Don't even bother anymore.  Best part is this, "i dont even have the urge to buy standalone, not until they put something that wasnt on the mod on the game."  For someone who hasn't even bought the game they sure have a lot to say about it.

• Like 2

Don't even bother anymore.  Best part is this, "i dont even have the urge to buy standalone, not until they put something that wasnt on the mod on the game."  For someone who hasn't even bought the game they sure have a lot to say about it.

and now you're inspecting all my posts searching for something to chew on, arent you?

You're REALLY mad, friend.

And you speak like watching half a stream wouldnt show everything that's on the game and more, lol.

Yes, absolutely.

Were you* expecting a finished product? This allows (some of) us to provide valuable feed back to the dev team, rooting out bugs and glitches much faster than they would be found with only 100 or less players.

Are there lots of bug? Yes! But look at how unbelievably complex this game is compared with say, Battlefield or Call of Duty. In those games you can move around, shoot and that's about it. In dayz you can move around, shoot, interact with the environment, craft, loot, etc. This creates infinitely more possible bugs.

Imagine if they had not opened up the game; development time would triple. They would have the same amount of work, a smaller team and no budget.

*I mean the collective 'You', not you personally.

Edited by Merrick362

. Rainbow 6 was once a great game that was also destroyed by casual play after Raven shield(Rogue spear being the best)

Don't forget ghost recon and how that once great franchise was destroy in order to appeal to casuals.

So long as Dayz strives for complete and utter realism it will be in good hands.

But as soon as they start doing things to appease the more casual player is when the game will go to shite.

and now you're inspecting all my posts searching for something to chew on, arent you?

You're REALLY mad, friend.

And you speak like watching half a stream wouldnt show everything that's on the game and more, lol.

Wait wait wait, you don't even own the damn Alpha?

Jesus, and I wasted time conversing with you. Sorry bro, being all judgmental about a game you haven't even played is just stupid unless it is universally derided, which DayZ isn't. Streaming is spectation, not participation. It is especially a bad way to experience DayZ as much of the fun of DayZ depends on the creativity of the player, something Streamers on a whole are often times sorely lacking in. "Winning" at DayZ is boring as hell, and usually involves hours of prone camping, sneaking around and KoSing everyone you come in contact with.

Edited by Hefeweizen
  • Like 1