c00lface

Looking back, Do you think that EA release was a good idea?

Asking if the Alpha should have been pushed back a little bit when 3 months in we still do not have half decent zeds that can even remotely do what they are supposed to do is a valid question in my books. 

And how far back do you think development would be if they hadn't released the game? You do realise that BIS are getting data from us right now that is speeding the process along right?

Edited by Jexter
  • Like 1

Look, either way, whether this was released to cash in on Xmas sales or due to high demand, both situations mean that early release was a good idea.

1. More money for funding development

2. People who wanted it to be released can play it (people who dont can wait)

Seriously, this is stating the obvious. So really I dont think that people should complain, otherwise, as said, wait till final release like you would have had to.

People should take a look at Star Citizen and the $40 million they already have an NO access at all other than walking around ur hanger - wooppeee. That only cost most of them around $500 for 3 ships. I haven't checked dev on that for a few months so idk if they are now able to do anything else but when they were at the $35 million mark they had nothing.

Edited by Jexter
  • Like 1

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.

best thing dean ever done !

any mistakes any missed schedules any bugs no content no progress

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.

we told you guys ! :lol:

worst thing to happen to games in last few years is those very statements ! means any company can now output shit and just type shit in capitals and everything is okay.slate wiped clean!

i miss the days when games were released finished and great content no dlc and fun to play. no excuses were made and no capitals were used :)

Edited by dgeesio
  • Like 5

i dont get that hard complaining about an alpha game... sure there are some bugs/glitches, you can accept them or not! while you not accept them, then make a break from the game and come back when ist final. so you got the positiv effect, that you just safed money by buying it in alpha-status!

for me it was totally worth, never played the mod. so totally new experience. these some glitches dont change my opinion about the game.

what is so hard with zombies glichting through walls, they are easily to kill.

there are only a handfull significant glitches, and for real, how often you are confronted with them? 

in 100+ hours played in never glitched down a ladder, or made a bad experience, that made me mad.

so i think it was a win/win situation for both sides. you can enjoy the game earlier. and bl has the money to improve creating the final.

and keep in mind, how long would bl have to work on this game to get it to finalversion, when there was no alpha access? i think you could take +1 year on it

edit: damn you jexter ;)

Edited by newguyzombie

People should take a look at Star Citizen and the $40 million they already have an NO access at all other than walking around ur hanger - wooppeee. That only cost most of them around $500 for 3 ships. I haven't checked dev on that for a few months so idk if they are now able to do anything else but when they were at the $35 million mark they had nothing.

There was a package you could buy for that game that was $15,000.  

Anyway back on topic.  Clearly if you are not going to actively participate in this early access alpha, you should not have bought it.  Doesn't matter the state and condition it is in.  They put it out there with all the warning so you have no one to blame but yourself.  Not directed at you, Jexter

• Like 1

bahahaha

fuck yeah, and now that they got more than 50 million dollars on their account, the game is going even slower on development.

That only points to the "cash grab" direction, only diehard keyboard warriors like this caboose dude dont see that.

Oh look the uneducated are coming out to play.

With the money they made, they've bought 2 new development companies I think? So not only have they expanded their company and brought in extra staff, they've upped the entire dayz team. The 2 teams are working on Zed AI and Hunting mechanics but that's not sensational enough for the likes of you.

BIS don't make cash grabs you idiot. There one of the only companies that have a thriving modding community but I'll happily eat my words if you can show a larger and better community than BIS and the modders have made.

• Like 1

worst thing to happen to games in last few years is those very statements ! means any company can now output shit and just type shit in capitals and everything is okay.slate wiped clean!

i miss the days when games were released finished and great content no dlc and fun to play. no excuses were made and no capitals were used :)

While I do agree with you, this has become the norm over the years and I think I get why.  Companies cannot even create their own game using their own ideas on what the game is about without players shitting all over it and demanding that the game should have been like this instead of that. 

No it wasn't.

Early Access is a bad idea.

Well let me rephrase that. Early Access is a good idea for developers in that it lets them earn money before finishing their product. Early Access is a bad idea for gamers who get no guarantee that what they paid for is ever going to be finished, or indeed what they paid for at the end of it. 

Yeah playing the mod for free for 2 years was awful wasn't it? What part of this thread haven't you read except all of it. You are warned not to buy the game from the get go. You are then told every time you load it that it's early access. You have dean giving talks all the fucking time and interviews so everyone knows what's going on and then people come here and bitch about the game? Not only do they bitch but they are also entirely uneducated about what is going on and make up bullshit figures on top of clearly having no programming experience at all so are not even on the right planet to make comments about how they should be quicker at this and that. 

I'll leave it to you to say whether this is completely dumbass or not.

It's self entitlement.  They paid for a product so they are entitled to bitch about it even tho big fat warnings were thrown in their faces. :rolleyes:

This thread was a thinly disguised attempt as another bitching thread

They paid half the amount for an early access product, not the full fucking amount. This bitchy little whiners don't even realise they could have been paying more if Dean had his way but BIS CEO said no, they would release it for cheaper. They could have made it full price and people would have bought it.

Wait, what? What do you disagree with? That there are people that use "Alpha" as argument for everything?

They do, it's a fact, no matter how much you deny.

Also, gj ignoring the part you don't like ;]

When you understand the concept of what an Alpha is you can come back and start using it as an argument but since you clearly don't, why are you using it as an argument? What part of "Alpha" don't you understand.

Personally, after reading this thread I think the disclaimer should be changed to

"Sorry to all you whiny people that have no clue about game development but when we said you are going to be testing this game we actually meant testing. When we said it would be broken we meant it would be broken. When we stated it isn't finished yet, which is fucking obvious since we released it as "early access", we mean it isn't finished and we're still going to be add a lot more shit into it (and by "shit" we mean a few extra million lines of code that has to be hand typed in by our development team. Now before you can make any comments go and write a million lines of code and then see go back and find all the mistakes you made)."

Yes. For the people who can take it for face value on what it is, then make suggestions, this provides a lot of data for the development team to make the game better. Release date is less important then the game at finished state having features that make it enjoyable and I'm glad they are taking time to get it right.

I think some people just need to learn how to turn it off and do something else for awhile if they loose interest... you can always turn it back on again after a meal/sleep/leaving the house/playing another game

To the development team: I know you have had a massive negative influx from people demanding updates, content they want, ect. But know that for everyone who complains you have a large following that is in support of what you are doing and are quiet. Belligerence likes being louder and more obnoxious then everyone else

Edited by akafugitive
  • Like 2

Yes. For the people who can take it for face value on what it is, then make suggestions, this provides a lot of data for the development team to make the game better. Release date is less important then the game at finished state having features that make it enjoyable and I'm glad they are taking time to get it right.

I think some people just need to learn how to turn it off and do something else for awhile if they loose interest... you can always turn it back on again after a meal/sleep/leaving the house/playing another game

To the development team: I know you have had a massive negative influx from people demanding updates, content they want, ect. But know that for everyone who complains you have a large following that is in support of what you are doing and are quiet. Belligerence likes being louder and more obnoxious then everyone else

'Nuff Said.

Yeah playing the mod for free for 2 years was awful wasn't it? What part of this thread haven't you read except all of it. You are warned not to buy the game from the get go. You are then told every time you load it that it's early access. You have dean giving talks all the fucking time and interviews so everyone knows what's going on and then people come here and bitch about the game? Not only do they bitch but they are also entirely uneducated about what is going on and make up bullshit figures on top of clearly having no programming experience at all so are not even on the right planet to make comments about how they should be quicker at this and that. 

I'll leave it to you to say whether this is completely dumbass or not.

I know about the warnings etc thanks. I read them when I bought it.

I bought it knowing full well that it might be unplayable. 

The main motivation behind this was because it would be cheaper. 

Most people just bought it because it is the top seller on Steam. Maybe they are suckers if they don't like it, or maybe it shouldn't be available to them? I dunno the exact answer.

My comments were about early access in general.

There was a package you could buy for that game that was $15,000.  

Anyway back on topic.  Clearly if you are not going to actively participate in this early access alpha, you should not have bought it.  Doesn't matter the state and condition it is in.  They put it out there with all the warning so you have no one to blame but yourself.  Not directed at you, Jexter

I know, $15k lol but i think that gave them rights to a book deal or something. Still there were or are 10k packages.

Yes it is odd that people sign up to basically test the game out and test out new things they add and are told the game is in development then come crying here when they have to test the game out and wait for new things to be added.

some people understand how alpha works

some people dont and rage

some people understand how alpha works and rage because they see not enough content work is being done

some people get fed up of excuses

some people are happy with how it is and havent played the mod

some people have palyed the mod think SA is just a let down/cash in

some people just enjoy games whatever happens

some people dont and just watching the world burn

some people just want.......

I remember a few years back an Alpha wasn't even in any way playable. The Standalone is far ahead of that and if you consider how often it is actually playable far ahead of a rull-release AAA title, such as Battlefield.

I remember few years ago I was using 1Mb/s and it was more than enough for my needs. Your point?

I know about the warnings etc thanks. I read them when I bought it.

I bought it knowing full well that it might be unplayable. 

The main motivation behind this was because it would be cheaper. 

Most people just bought it because it is the top seller on Steam. Maybe they are suckers if they don't like it, or maybe it shouldn't be available to them? I dunno the exact answer.

My comments were about early access in general.

But even if it was the top seller on steam...

A) it told them NOT to buy it on the sales page - duh!

B) Don't be a fool who buys any shit without looking into it - duh!

C) Don't post on forums complaining about something you bought that you never researched and were warned about - duh!

I mean come on! LOL how the fuck do these people tie their own shoe laces? Oh, they use velcro well whatever they do to get their shoes on in the morning isn't that important. 

I remember few years ago I was using 1Mb/s and it was more than enough for my needs. Your point?

....is you know nothing about game development.

• Like 2

When you understand the concept of what an Alpha is you can come back and start using it as an argument but since you clearly don't, why are you using it as an argument? What part of "Alpha" don't you understand.

Personally, after reading this thread I think the disclaimer should be changed to

"Sorry to all you whiny people that have no clue about game development but when we said you are going to be testing this game we actually meant testing. When we said it would be broken we meant it would be broken. When we stated it isn't finished yet, which is fucking obvious since we released it as "early access", we mean it isn't finished and we're still going to be add a lot more shit into it (and by "shit" we mean a few extra million lines of code that has to be hand typed in by our development team. Now before you can make any comments go and write a million lines of code and then see go back and find all the mistakes you made)."

It's your first Alpa, isn't it?

It's your first Alpa, isn't it?

You're still here showing us how ignorant you are? Kilch will be along soon to remove these two posts btw)

I did say it was a good idea. For all. Not only those that wanted it.

Lol you did, sorry I had far too much to drink  :D

sorry I had far too much to drink  :D

From the content in this thread, it appears to be going around lol. 

• Like 1

But even if it was the top seller on steam...

A) it told them NOT to buy it on the sales page - duh!

B) Don't be a fool who buys any shit without looking into it - duh!

C) Don't post on forums complaining about something you bought that you never researched and were warned about - duh!

I mean come on! LOL how the fuck do these people tie their own shoe laces? Oh, they use velcro well whatever they do to get their shoes on in the morning isn't that important. 

Like I mentioned my sentiments don't apply specifically to DayZ as DayZ is pretty good in the regard of letting people know what they are in for.

Imagine I start a games development company and I manage to get people interested in my game from various blogs and youtube videos etc. People start to get interested. I release the game into the Early Access program on Steam, people start to pick it up. There is not much to the game, but I promise users that it will get better and that I will listen to their suggestions etc. Once X amount of money is made I decide its no longer profitable to carry on with the game so it gets left unfinished to linger in people's Steam libraries. I then do the same thing after having changed my development company's name etc.

There is not much to stop me doing that.

There is also no requirement to tell people not to buy your game in the Early Access program. Developers can presumably put what they want in that little blue box. I could write "This is going to be the best game ever, buy it now to make sure you don't miss out!" 

Just because DayZ did the right thing doesn't mean everyone will. I'm not sure a system whereby the consumer has to ensure 100% that they can trust the product they are buying before commuting to purchase is not a good one. In all other areas there are various quality checks etc. This is what Steam needs; a system that doesn't allow anybody to put anything for sale on there.

Edited by DoctorBadSign
  • Like 1

The history of gaming is littered with tittles abandoned in mid development. The risk nowadays is that we might very well have already paid for them.

• Like 1

bahahaha

fuck yeah, and now that they got more than 50 million dollars on their account, the game is going even slower on development.

That only points to the "cash grab" direction, only diehard keyboard warriors like this caboose dude dont see that.

Lol seriously?

Early access at reduced value points to anything BUT "cash grab" because they will make less money than only releasing when finished at full price. This is basic maths man, revenue maximisation would be if they sold x million copies all at full price of (say) £30 each rather than 0.3x million at £20 and then ONLY 0.6x million at full price. By giving us all early access THEY WILL MAKE LESS MONEY in the end. The only possible motive to bother releasing it earlier for less profit would be to actually get some of this early revenue to accelerate and improve the dev process (buying more dev teams etc) in the hopes that the final product will be better.

Can you imagine how long it would take / how buggy it would be on release without this process?

Edited by tatchell