c00lface

Looking back, Do you think that EA release was a good idea?

I think the OP's questions are entirely legitimate for a start. Some people in this thread need to actually read what had been posted before posting themselves. That's directed at you mainly Caboose. That goes for a lot of these threads to be honest.

Yes it was a good idea to release, in a business sense and also for us. Everybody's a winner.

I had never played Arma or the mod so for me it was brilliant - 150ish hr in DayZ, then a quick purchase of Arma 3 for a little more game time. I guess that works for BI too.

Anyway, great game, has got somewhat stale for the last little while and the pace of development could be faster. I have no experience of game dev so maybe this is typical?

I think the OP's questions are entirely legitimate for a start. Some people in this thread need to actually read what had been posted before posting themselves. That's directed at you mainly Caboose. That goes for a lot of these threads to be honest.

Yes it was a good idea to release, in a business sense and also for us. Everybody's a winner.

I had never played Arma or the mod so for me it was brilliant - 150ish hr in DayZ, then a quick purchase of Arma 3 for a little more game time. I guess that works for BI too.

Anyway, great game, has got somewhat stale for the last little while and the pace of development could be faster. I have no experience of game dev so maybe this is typical?

Okay but what you've said doesn't answer OP's question. Do you think early access for those who wanted it was a good idea?

Nice one on making it your first post.  I answered the OP's question.  He didn't have to purchase it, as it clearly states, if he isn't ready to deal with the problems that go along with the alpha.  Whether or not it was ready we were warned not to buy it. 

A good idea? Perhaps not. A necessary one, from a financial and PR perspective? Yes. Rocket talked up the then-upcoming SA a lot, but dates he mentioned came and went without much to show for it. I think, if they waited for a finished product(that is to say, around December 2015, given the timeline they posted at the EA release) I think a lot of the interest would have passed. They also wouldn't have so easily justified the recent additions to the team.

• Like 1

Look, either way, whether this was released to cash in on Xmas sales or due to high demand, both situations mean that early release was a good idea.

1. More money for funding development

2. People who wanted it to be released can play it (people who dont can wait)

Seriously, this is stating the obvious. So really I dont think that people should complain, otherwise, as said, wait till final release like you would have had to.

bahahaha

fuck yeah, and now that they got more than 50 million dollars on their account, the game is going even slower on development.

That only points to the "cash grab" direction, only diehard keyboard warriors like this caboose dude dont see that.

So many whiny potatoes in this thread, on the forums and just surrounding Dayz in general. Many, many people asked for SA early access, Dean the rest of the dev team was pretty clear that it wasn't finished.

The game is definitely playable, or neither you or I would be playing it. Zombies running through walls might be immersion breaking but it doesn't destroy the game. Cars not being available might be a hassle but they don't make the game, and it doesn't stop you from fucking running. 

The pace of development is not set to a dial, they can't turn up development speed to 11, new elements go in when they're ready, otherwise we end up with a game that is actually broken. 

Edited by Capo
  • Like 3

Okay but what you've said doesn't answer OP's question. Do you think early access for those who wanted it was a good idea?

I did say it was a good idea. For all. Not only those that wanted it.

Edited by BAMO4O

So many whiny potatoes in this thread, on the forums and just surrounding Dayz in general. Many, many people asked for SA early access, Dean the rest of the dev team was pretty clear that it wasn't finished.

The game is definitely playable, or neither you or I would be playing it. Zombies running through walls might be immersion breaking but it doesn't destroy the game. Cars not being available might be a hassle but they don't make the game, and it doesn't stop you from fucking running. 

The pace of development is not set to a dial, they can't turn up development speed to 11, new elements go in when they're ready, otherwise we end up with a game that is actually broken. 

yeah, many many people asked for the standalone because dean hyped this game the entire fucking year after he left the mod development on it's apex.

and What makes the game then? If not zombies, not combat, not cars, what does make this game cool? The main things about the mod when it got popularity were that there was no games with a survival perma death mechanic, and that getting gear was exciting, together with pvp being more dangerous and adrenaline soaked than other shooters.

And once you got a group, you could go around the map trying to find a car, repair it so you could hang around any place of the map, store your loot, etc. It added the thrill of fearing that you would lose your car.

And by no means i buy this "they cant turn the development speed" bullshit, they have the money, if they wanted, they could hire a full team to support the development and get this game on its tracks, but they dont want to waste their already earned money on a game that has unrepairable flaws. "the game was flawed from the start", in rocket's own words.

Edited by lipemr
  • Like 1

Nice one on making it your first post. I answered the OP's question. He didn't have to purchase it, as it clearly states, if he isn't ready to deal with the problems that go along with the alpha. Whether or not it was ready we were warned not to buy it.

Thanks. I've been reading a great many of the posts. Mainly to follow development - anything that is happening in game will be reflected here I find.

We know he didn't have to purchase. That goes for all of us Cab andisn't really constructive to the thread.

yeah, many many people asked for the standalone because dean hyped this game the entire fucking year after he left the mod development on it's apex.

and What makes the game then? If not zombies, not combat, not cars, what does make this game cool? The main things about the mod when it got popularity were that there was no games with a survival perma death mechanic, and that getting gear was exciting, together with pvp being more dangerous and adrenaline soaked than other shooters.

And once you got a group, you could go around the map trying to find a car, repair it so you could hang around any place of the map, store your loot, etc. It added the thrill of fearing that you would lose your car.

And by no means i buy this "they cant turn the development speed" bullshit, they have the money, if they wanted, they could hire a full team to support the development and get this game on its tracks, but they dont want to waste their already earned money on a game that has unrepairable flaws. "the game was flawed from the start", in rocket's own words.

Potatoes_by_blondesanta.jpg

• Like 1

Yes and no. I have ~100 hours in the game... but I am now kinda bored of the game...

So I got my moneys worth, but I dont know if there will be anyone left to play / buy the finished product.

Same, that's what I kind-of worry about. Though locked in +200 hours for 28Eur, I'd damn well say that's my muns worth :3

In all seriousness It's a shame that people really don't understand what they bought into. So many people demanded the broken alpha of a game with a lot saying "We don't care how broken it is, we just want to play it. Now!"

Now that they play it, knowing it's in Alpha(or so they say) they act like it's a complete finished product that's broken beyond repair.

There are a few who actually do understand what they bought and are patient and realize that this is NOT a finished product and is a complete wip.

Now, if this was the actual full final release stage of the SA and issues currently with the game were still in, I'd be the first one to bitch and I'm absolutely sure others would too. But it's not so I won't.

Are there issues with the game? Absolutely but keeping a close eye on the development of the game I do see they're working on what they should and non-constructive bitching by me or anyone else isn't going to do anyone any good but I'm one of the ones that knew what I bought into.

Just reading some of the drivel in this thread(as well as other threads), I'm starting to think that maybe it was a bad idea to release the Alpha. ONLY because the people who thought they had the mental fortitude to play the Alpha and help with the development, really don't. The people who are bitching about how long it's taking, the bugs and whatever else they seem to come up with really haven't a clue.

We aren't even close to beta release, we all know that(at least some of us do) because we have been told how long the Alpha is to be. We also have a timeline of when features are to be making their way into the game. I guess for some this isn't enough so they have to take a tanty like children because their impatience gets the best of them.

So how can one bitch and act like issues in an unfinished product are never going to be fixed, knowing that it's unfinished and a wip?

Comparing the SA features to the Mod features doesn't fly either.

The conspiracy theories about the financial gains of Rocket and BI are a whole other kettle of fish that are completely unfounded and are absolutely total conjecture.

No it wasn't.

Early Access is a bad idea.

Well let me rephrase that. Early Access is a good idea for developers in that it lets them earn money before finishing their product. Early Access is a bad idea for gamers who get no guarantee that what they paid for is ever going to be finished, or indeed what they paid for at the end of it. 

Edited by DoctorBadSign
  • Like 2

Well, they've lost the trust of players that were with DayZ since the begginings of the mod, but they got a whole lot of new playerbase that is excited about new hat types in the patchnotes.

• Like 1

It also seems that a lot of people think that "Alpha" is an ultimate argument vs all the issues SA has. You know, even the ones, that shouldn't exist in alpha.

• Like 1

It also seems that a lot of people think that "Alpha" is an ultimate argument vs all the issues SA has. You know, even the ones, that shouldn't exist in alpha.

I disagree. I think people who do understand that it's a wip(Alpha) and not a finished product, know issues are being worked on and are being patient. While others do not understand that concept, it's that simple.

I disagree. I think people who do understand that it's a wip(Alpha) and not a finished product, know issues are being worked on and are being patient. While others do not understand that concept, it's that simple.

It's self entitlement.  They paid for a product so they are entitled to bitch about it even tho big fat warnings were thrown in their faces. :rolleyes:

This thread was a thinly disguised attempt as another bitching thread

Edited by Caboose187

Wait, what? What do you disagree with? That there are people that use "Alpha" as argument for everything?

They do, it's a fact, no matter how much you deny.

Also, gj ignoring the part you don't like ;]

Edited by Alsmir
  • Like 1

Wait, what? What do you disagree with? That there are people that use "Alpha" as argument for everything?

They do, it's a fact, no matter how much you deny.

Also, gj ignoring the part you don't like ;]

I am befuddled on which part you think I ignored.

I think that they released it at the right time for the sake of sales. I do like the disclaimers stating it's Alpha though. Knowing this, I bought it and understand that I don't have to play it a bunch, but it will always be there at the 30 bucks I spent on it. It's obviously not a finished game, but i do think it will be loads more finished by the end of December.

I don't really see a problem in my eyes.

• Like 1

I remember a few years back an Alpha wasn't even in any way playable. The Standalone is far ahead of that and if you consider how often it is actually playable far ahead of a rull-release AAA title, such as Battlefield.

• Like 2

Gonna start by pointing out you're an idiot. 

While we were all very impatiently waiting I was beginning to lose interest in the idea of a Standalone. I knew if there wasn't at least a release date I was going to lose interest all together and never buy it. This game is NOT playable no matter what you fan boys say about it. I enjoy the game and have fun playing but I really wish they would have just waited. Given a solid, official release date, such as maybe June 2014 would have been nice.  

I'm not buying that for a second. So if they didn't release it and then 2 years later it came out and everyone was talking about you "wouldn't have bought it"?

Bullshit!

The game is perfectly playable right now - what are you on?

Edited by Jexter
  • Like 2

So, as title says, do you think that releasing this game in its state as EA alpha back in december was a good idea? Do you think it needed more work even for an alpha release? Or maybe more features implemented?

The only real risk with this project is that people will burn themselves out on the game before it is even finished, and that is up to the people themselves to manage. As Dean stated at his Rezzed presentation, the fact that so many people bought the game early means, that they now know that they can afford to spend more time developing the game and adding more features to it.

Had they not chosen to go early access, they would probably not have been able to afford to hire the Cabela's Hunting Games-team to take care of the hunting aspect of DayZ, so at the same time early access has speeded up the development of the rudimentary features, that DayZ requires to become a true survival sim. There would also have been a factor of uncertainty as to whether DayZ was going to succeed, which might have been demoralizing for the DayZ team as a whole. This might have slowed the development even more. There would, lastly, also have been the issue of all these other survival games coming out, competing with DayZ. Since most of them seem to be crap, and plagued with the same issues DayZ is dealing with right now, people would probably have thought that DayZ is going to be no different, and they hype and enthusiasm surrounding DayZ might have died out.

All I can say is, there appears to be no net negative impact for anyone in this particular case.

Edited by TheSodesa