c00lface

Looking back, Do you think that EA release was a good idea?

So, as title says, do you think that releasing this game in its state as EA alpha back in december was a good idea? Do you think it needed more work even for an alpha release? Or maybe more features implemented?

For us or them? Of course it was good, or we'd be sitting here impatiently waiting. 

You(buyers) were fully warned that the state of the game was not intended to be playable. More just for testing. The fact that people can already log hundreds of hours is a testament to the fact that releasing now was right and is good for development.

I just hope they don't start catering to the whiners and give us little things. Add the big stuff, then the little, then optimize, then RELEASE!!!

Edited by nimmerzz
  • Like 5

Yes and no.

IYes:

-Capitalized on the hype from the mod (or what was left of it)

- beat any major competition (H1Z1)

No:

Extremely unfinished 

As a producer the early release was the best choice, as a consumer it would have been a good wait. 

• Like 3

Well the game is very playable so i think it was a good idea. Not much to do but good to explore the map and get used to the controls

• Like 2

This early access release is already better looking and more polished than some other "released" games.

I'm looking at you Titanfall.

• Like 7

In Dean's own words, they didn't even want to release it. They only did because we kept begging for them to do so.

There are pros and cons, but I think there is a net benefit as they now have a lot of cash to re-invest.

• Like 6

In Dean's own words, they didn't even want to release it. They only did because we kept begging for them to do so.

There are pros and cons, but I think there is a net benefit as they now have a lot of cash to re-invest.

Believing they actually released this broken alpha because "we asked for it" is pretty naive. At the end of the day, Rocket is just a designer... releasing this alpha before christmas was BI's exectutives decision

• Like 2

So, as title says, do you think that releasing this game in its state as EA alpha back in december was a good idea? Do you think it needed more work even for an alpha release? Or maybe more features implemented?

was released then for optimum cash in. you cant miss that period.

think about it christmas best period of sales of whole yr if they did release then it would of been this december or shit sales.

• Like 2

Not really. I mean, yeah we get to play the game, but with so many games going early-access these days it's never quite the same experience as buying a finished product.

It's gradual rather than sudden. So your mind isn't blown away once DayZ comes out, because you've been testing it forever and have seen how it's grown incrementally.

The most vivid experiences of my contact with video games have been from trying new experiences. If I had been part of the Halo testing process, I wouldn't have been blown away by the final product. Same goes for all of the monumental game experiences I've had.

Sure, there's something inherent in the "sandbox" that sort of lends to this piecemeal involvement. But I feel that, had I not played the SA (or the mod for that matter) and they released it, and I played it, I would've been utterly floored at this novel product. But, I've seen DayZ grow incrementally since it started, so with every addition I'm sort of like "Neat, but big whoop."

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, by giving people access to things like Alpha/Beta builds of games (as a recent paradigm) you're inherently undercutting the magnitude of your finished product.

• Like 7

Believing they actually released this broken alpha because "we asked for it" is pretty naive. At the end of the day, Rocket is just a designer... releasing this alpha before christmas was BI's exectutives decision

I don't see a reason for Dean to by lying about this, he worked on the game for free long enough. What he has said is that they didn't want to release it because the core networking stuff was not done and because people would just rip on the game, but the demand was so high they decided to release it with all those disclaimers warning people not to buy it.

If he sees this thread I imagine he'll facepalm and go "so I didn't have to release it, make up your minds".

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.

• Like 4

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.

Gonna start by pointing out you're an idiot. 

While we were all very impatiently waiting I was beginning to lose interest in the idea of a Standalone. I knew if there wasn't at least a release date I was going to lose interest all together and never buy it. This game is NOT playable no matter what you fan boys say about it. I enjoy the game and have fun playing but I really wish they would have just waited. Given a solid, official release date, such as maybe June 2014 would have been nice.  

Given a solid, official release date, such as maybe June 2014 would have been nice.

And you can me an idiot, lmao

• Like 3

Lulz..Sad to see people with 1500 post not reading the OP's comment.

Yes and no for me. We have a say when something is implemented terribly and then again we don't..

Certianly a toss up but I now me and many of my friends will be burnt out or close to by release. Most of us are not playing atm to offset the issue.

Edited by RyBo

Lulz..Sad to see people with 1500 post not reading the OP's comment.

Yes and no for me. We have a say when something is implemented terribly and then again we don't..

Read his comment and he's making it out that the game is completely unplayable and should not have been released.  Try reading the fine print before making your purchases in the future maybe?

• Like 3

This game is NOT playable no matter what you fan boys say about it.

Please explain in what ways this game is unplayable? Let's be honest here, the amount of glitches is very low and if you're aware of them, entirely avoidable. The zombie ability to walk through walls can also be handled by their relative ease to kill. The major issues dont make this game unplayable to me.

"Unplayable" for me would be crashing regularly, character wipes very regularly and unplayable desync. However, these issues are now extremely rare.

With all due respect, I think you're completely wrong. This game is definitely playable.

Edited by tatchell
  • Like 7

Read his comment and he's making it out that the game is completely unplayable and should not have been released.  Try reading the fine print before making your purchases in the future maybe?

1) No where do I see OP stating the game is unplayable 

2) No where is the OP bashing the game and or the decision. 

3) No where is the OP complaining about his purchase 

He asked a valid question.

I swear these fanboys are unreal at the moment. 

• Like 2

Yes and no. I have ~100 hours in the game... but I am now kinda bored of the game...

So I got my moneys worth, but I dont know if there will be anyone left to play / buy the finished product.

1) No where do I see OP stating the game is unplayable 

2) No where is the OP bashing the game and or the decision. 

3) No where is the OP complaining about his purchase 

He asked a valid question.

I swear these fanboys are unreal at the moment. 

Asking if the game should have been released in it's current state wasn't going to be a yes or no discussion.  The OP is clearly looking for a negative thread to bash the game like he does in other thread he posts in.  The last bit of my post that you quoted wasn't targeted at the OP, it was targeted at the poster I quoted.  

I swearthese trolls are unreal at the moment

• Like 2

Asking if the game should have been released in it's current state wasn't going to be a yes or no discussion.  The OP is clearly looking for a negative thread to bash the game like he does in other thread he posts in.  The last bit of my post that you quoted wasn't targeted at the OP, it was targeted at the poster I quoted.  

I swearthese trolls are unreal at the moment

Asking if the Alpha should have been pushed back a little bit when 3 months in we still do not have half decent zeds that can even remotely do what they are supposed to do is a valid question in my books. 

Asking if the Alpha should have been pushed back a little bit when 3 months in we still do not have half decent zeds that can even remotely do what they are supposed to do is a valid question in my books. 

And I gave my response.  He was warned not to buy it yet did so anyway and it now making a thread about maybe it 4 months later stating it should have waited?  Come on guy, if this isn't a troll bait thread I don't know what else to tell you.

• Like 2

Look, either way, whether this was released to cash in on Xmas sales or due to high demand, both situations mean that early release was a good idea.

1. More money for funding development

2. People who wanted it to be released can play it (people who dont can wait)

Seriously, this is stating the obvious. So really I dont think that people should complain, otherwise, as said, wait till final release like you would have had to.

Edited by tatchell
  • Like 8

Look, either way, whether this was released to cash in on Xmas sales or due to high demand, both situations mean that early release was a good idea.

Seriously, this is stating the obvious. So really I dont think that people should complain, otherwise, as said, wait till final release like you would have had to.

It sucks I can only give you one tin of beans.. Other wise I'd give you every god damn bean in the world.

Logic was here.

• Like 3

It sucks I can only give you one tin of beans.. Other wise I'd give you every god damn bean in the world.

Logic was here.

Share mine with him :p

The only thing that I would add here is that on top of people wanting it to be released, there was an absolute demand for it to be released. How people forget things in such a relatively short amount of time and now start threads such as this.