hrdrok

I want to be scared - A discussion on horror and Dayz

Good Evening My Fellow Survivors,

I am hear to talk about the "scare" factor in Dayz. This discussion will hopefully bring to light a missing piece of the puzzle for the Devs on our perfect zombie/survival game. I will break down the topic into a few sections for ease of reading. If you have more to added I will try and update the sections.

Section 1 - Zombies

A zombie game! The art of the zombies is good (imo). The animations have gotten better. But I am still not afraid of them. They are barely an annoyance. The fact that there is so few of them (even with respawning) it's almost a joke. I know this has been beaten to death, but we just need more of them, period. I know this will come in time, but it should be a priority. Think of the probable Chernarus population, several hundred thousand. Now think of the amount of zombies in game...

Not a great video, but a horde of zombies like this would make ANYONE think twice about taking a shot at survivors. The goal shouldn't be making them harder, but increasing them.

And this number should be the norm. Not some random horde walking around. This needs to happen in big cities all the time.

Also give them the ability to crawl if shot in the leg, and break down doors. 

Update:

Horde 

Crawling

This seem to be heading in the direction I wanted to see. Also with the addition of new zombie A.I., new models, and navmesh. I am pleased and looking forward to further progress.

Section 2 - Atmosphere

This is something that just needs to happen. There needs to be things added to the game to give you the "post" - apocalyptic feel. The shit has already hit the fan, and the world needs to look that way. Car wrecks everywhere, houses with broken down doors, and blood EVERYWHERE. I mean ffs, a couple hundred thousand people were either massacred, or turned into zombies. Were's the carnage?

pitt-1-1109.jpg

I had hoped as they added towns they would be adding to the atmosphere, but still to many "clean" areas imo. The plane crash in Cherno good start. The burnt vehicles are few and far between. Find a way to reduce their poly counts and start throwing them in everywhere.

Great idea regarding moving the Hide Body option located Here. Would add to the immersion due to added dead bodies...

Update:

This is still my major area of worry. There has been improvements. I am leaving out some of my own screenshots to show some pretty neat additions to the atmosphere. One particularly awesome one, but I would hate to ruin it for another survivor (made me jump). In the Status Report for 22 of April, they did talk about roadblock additions. Looking forward to the renders, and a much needed inclusion.

Audio:

Awesome write up of how in-game sounds should work. Would do much to add to the atmosphere. (Credits to Star Thornberry)

what Dayz really needs Is Proper Audio production, with Proper SFX ques (....that actually work) 

When I think Of a horror atmosphere, I think of a Sound design focused on Low end sounds, low winds brushing through the tree's making a low eerie sound,

When I'm walking along hearing more features when going across different terrains (edited to sound more surreal with focus on 60-180 Hz Boost's and Sonic texture in that region) 

When I see a zombie, I want to hear grunts when they don't see you.. not squeals
and when they do spot you, I want to hear an almost deathly cry, not the sound of someone having an orgasm while kicking their little toe on a table  

In towns and city's I want to hear the sounds of paper and rubbish scraping the ground as its being picked up by the wind, or rustles from zombies walking about (not just standing still like they do...)

When It rains, I want to hear the sound of rain hitting metal roofs, of it running along the ground, and the sounds of puddles as you're running/walking through the place, With the slops of mud when your on grass making it sound like your being sucked into the mud almost.
(and it would be nice for the rain to look a bit more like A2/A3 rain with Post prossesing, Instead if it all being a big Blur of nothing that makes you turn it off)

And what would be nice, is a Good soundtrack to convey all this playing a Typical Horror/misery/Dread track, With a slow theme with harmonics that sound like a cross between a funeral and Stravinksy's The Rite of spring, Like how TellTale game's TWD Soundtrack was, Or something Similar to Joyeux Noel's Soundtrack in the opening War Scene (where its conveying emotions of misery and dread) 

Not to mention the Terrible sounds of the guns, sounding more like a BB gun compared to an actual weapon.
I know many guns do sound high pitched, but This game is all about a zombie/infected apocalypse, where people turn on each other.. the sound design really needs to be reflected on this. not just a Carbon copy of ToH and A2-3.....
When I Shoot a gun, I want to hear low end Coming from the gun, almost flooding my speakers, I want to hear Early Reflections of the sound bouncing of walls and objects and returning to me. 
And from a Distance I want to hear All the low end sounds, with it getting lower the further out it is.... just like how sound properties actually are...

If the engine cannot do all this stuff, I dont see any reason why this isnt a Cause to edit it more, Expecally with Videos of Physics being added
Why Limit the scope and depth on the game because it might take some extra work?

Of course, this is just the audio, there are still a heap of things for the Visual that could be added, (mainly a fix on the terrible Post processing that no one that plays the game properly actually uses) 

But all this can be for naught, you can have a good sound design, and a strong backing of visual effects and textures

But it all adds up to jack when the zombie you have been hearing for the past few minutes is standing still, then decides to walk through the floors and walls to try and hit you, and you cant do anything about it because you cannot get your weapon equiped, and when you do you can hit it due to the melee swings 

Update:

So audio. Lets face it. It has sucked up to this point. Pop can sounds, random zombie sounds, ect. BUT REJOICE! New audio engine is incoming, also doors opening is pretty creepy. ;) Will need to hold off true thoughts until audio engine is upgraded, which is happening.

Section 3 - Dynamic Objects

Give some objects a chance to scare us. Have a backup generator kick on once in a blue moon (could then trigger whatever is plugged in, and yes generators have auto start). Door move by itself from a breeze if left open (could have a lot of wind effected objects). Water pipes crack and break. Cars smolder and smoke. You could even have trapped zombies inside cars, or tall fenced yards that jump out if player gets too close. Also making the tower at green mountain screw with your radio would be an eerie touch.

I would shit a brick if I was looting and heard this...

Update: - ^ no word from any of this :(

In conclusion,

I love this game and will play it regardless of what they do. I just hope they do more to scare us, as all zombie movies, games, and books try to do. Please discuss and bring more spooky ideas to the table. Should they put focus into this? Or is it a low priority?

Edited by hrdrok
  • Like 31

The scariest thing about DayZ will never be zombies, it's scary because of what people become when society breaks down, which is far more chilling.

The zombies are just the trigger that set events in motion, but the real terror comes from never knowing if there's some asshole around the corner who's willing to kill you for a tin of beans, or worse some maniac who'll slaughter you just because he gets a kick from it. Even worse knowing that, somewhere in the back of your mind when you meet someone who seems friendly that some part of you is sizing them up, trying to see if they have anything you might need and if you'd be able to take that item from them.. and the creeping suspension that they're doing the exact same thing.

If that isn't fear inducing, I don't know what is.

Edited by TheScruffyBandit
  • Like 12

I don't want the door thing, because I'd literally need to buy extra laundry soap for every time I pissed my pants.

• Like 3

The scariest thing about DayZ will never be zombies, it's scary because of what people become when society breaks down, which is far more chilling.

The zombies are just the trigger that set events in motion, but the real terror comes from never knowing if there's some asshole around the corner who's willing to kill you for a tin of beans, or worse some maniac who'll slaughter you just because he gets a kick from it. Even worse knowing that, somewhere in the back of your mind when you meet someone who seems friendly that some part of you is sizing them up, trying to see if they have anything you might need and if you'd be able to take that item from them.. and the creeping suspension that they're doing the exact same thing.

If that isn't fear inducing, I don't know what is.

I beg to differ. I am much more afraid of being eaten alive than being shot. Next time you watch a zombie movie, watch the face of those being eaten. That's chilling, and true pain. Not that your point isn't valid. I do get a afraid when running into survivors. I just want the same feeling, perhaps amplified, when running into zombies is all.

Not bad ideas at all. I'd enjoy if Zeds were like that, also with some editing the sound might be nice.

Edited by Mahado

I beg to differ. I am much more afraid of being eaten alive than being shot. Next time you watch a zombie movie, watch the face of those being eaten. That's chilling, and true pain. Not that your point isn't valid. I do get a afraid when running into survivors. I just want the same feeling, perhaps amplified, when running into zombies is all.

I must be weird then, the idea of being eaten alive doesn't scare me any more than any other method of death. Doesn't particularly matter to me how I die, be it a bullet, a snack for a hoard of undead or old age, the scary thing about death is not existing anymore, not how painful the process might be.

That said, I do want the zombies fixed so they pose some level of threat without being immersion breakers (which they currently are), because everytime one respawns in front of me, runs through a wall or sharks through a floor, it reminds me that I'm playing a videogame and my tension levels drop right down again.

The sound(s)

Irl, moving in the terrain, I can usually spot people long before they see me or I see them by the sounds. In the game people can pop up next to you un-noticed.

Also irl it is quite easy to hear the difference of rifles and pistols, and if they are shooting owards you or away from you. Ingame...well..you know...

Every sound, like birds or a broken stick or wind in grass and leafs ought to be "real" sounds, so one gets help of them ears. Espescially when the game gives you a bit of "tunnelvision". (your irl eyes have wider FOV and you move your eyes and head constantly so you are aware of a wider area.

There could be birds (deer, rabbit) on the ground that flies up, scared, when someone moves by them or dogs or Z´s trapped behind fences but that starts to make noice when someone is spotted nearby.

I agree on doorsounds when moving in the wind. Not all doors the same sound. This could also give early warning when someone is moving in on you.

I also think that the sounds when someone is running shuold be heard further away but moving slow should be quiet.

The metallic sounds, like loading a rifle should travel futher than eating sound for example.

It´s gonna be iteresting to see what the soundteam comes up with.

• Like 1

A lot of these ideas sound engine based. Like the door idea. Not that it wouldn't be completely awesome but I doubt they could implement it. Especially when they're still working on bows and shit for weeks now.

As for Zombies, yeah. I hate how Zeds are barely a threat. Even as a new spawn you can just box the shit out of them.

I must be weird then, the idea of being eaten alive doesn't scare me any more than any other method of death. Doesn't particularly matter to me how I die, be it a bullet, a snack for a hoard of undead or old age, the scary thing about death is not existing anymore, not how painful the process might be.

That said, I do want the zombies fixed so they pose some level of threat without being immersion breakers (which they currently are), because everytime one respawns in front of me, runs through a wall or sharks through a floor, it reminds me that I'm playing a videogame and my tension levels drop right down again.

Yeah your wierd alright the mere fact that torture can induce a man to beg for his death shows where real fear lies. I am not saying you shouldnt be afraid of dying but given the option dying quickly vs being torn apart i know what any sane human would choose. The PvP kos scene doesnt really add fear to the game tension caution maybe the start of fear but seeing its usually KOS there is no time for fear to sink in except in the situation you mention of meeting survivour and doing the awkward  sizing up.

Maybe having been in  the army i am less afraid of people shooting at me ( fear is your enemy learn to hone focus and use the adrenaline to action rather than freeze in fear) the fear of undead( or infected as the case maybe) tearing you to pieces with no remorse or hesitation . Perhaps having been in iraq in the early 90's and boganville island( not spelt correctly lol) new guinea i fear a bullet far less than the primal fear of being eaten alive..

The game needs to focus on atmosphere as much as survival make the world look as if it has endured an apoc i want to see far more blood and gore in the streets houses, streets lined with the dead and hidden amongst those dead props zeds that will attack suddeenly when you draw to close. zeds dormant in rooms of houses so when you go to loot the sudden jump of opening a door to a instantly raging zed in your face..

Rocket already mention making doors creak when opened and stuff like that is a step in the right direction a shoot out produces little fear more adrenaline the scares a zed could should produce far greater...

• Like 1

what Dayz really needs Is Proper Audio production, with Proper SFX ques (....that actually work) 

When I think Of a horror atmosphere, I think of a Sound design focused on Low end sounds, low winds brushing through the tree's making a low eerie sound,

When I'm walking along hearing more features when going across different terrains (edited to sound more surreal with focus on 60-180 Hz Boost's and Sonic texture in that region) 

When I see a zombie, I want to hear grunts when they don't see you.. not squeals
and when they do spot you, I want to hear an almost deathly cry, not the sound of someone having an orgasm while kicking their little toe on a table  

In towns and city's I want to hear the sounds of paper and rubbish scraping the ground as its being picked up by the wind, or rustles from zombies walking about (not just standing still like they do...)

When It rains, I want to hear the sound of rain hitting metal roofs, of it running along the ground, and the sounds of puddles as you're running/walking through the place, With the slops of mud when your on grass making it sound like your being sucked into the mud almost.
(and it would be nice for the rain to look a bit more like A2/A3 rain with Post prossesing, Instead if it all being a big Blur of nothing that makes you turn it off)

And what would be nice, is a Good soundtrack to convey all this playing a Typical Horror/misery/Dread track, With a slow theme with harmonics that sound like a cross between a funeral and Stravinksy's The Rite of spring, Like how TellTale game's TWD Soundtrack was, Or something Similar to Joyeux Noel's Soundtrack in the opening War Scene (where its conveying emotions of misery and dread) 

Not to mention the Terrible sounds of the guns, sounding more like a BB gun compared to an actual weapon.
I know many guns do sound high pitched, but This game is all about a zombie/infected apocalypse, where people turn on each other.. the sound design really needs to be reflected on this. not just a Carbon copy of ToH and A2-3.....
When I Shoot a gun, I want to hear low end Coming from the gun, almost flooding my speakers, I want to hear Early Reflections of the sound bouncing of walls and objects and returning to me. 
And from a Distance I want to hear All the low end sounds, with it getting lower the further out it is.... just like how sound properties actually are...

If the engine cannot do all this stuff, I dont see any reason why this isnt a Cause to edit it more, Expecally with Videos of Physics being added
Why Limit the scope and depth on the game because it might take some extra work?

Of course, this is just the audio, there are still a heap of things for the Visual that could be added, (mainly a fix on the terrible Post processing that no one that plays the game properly actually uses) 

But all this can be for naught, you can have a good sound design, and a strong backing of visual effects and textures

But it all adds up to jack when the zombie you have been hearing for the past few minutes is standing still, then decides to walk through the floors and walls to try and hit you, and you cant do anything about it because you cannot get your weapon equiped, and when you do you can hit it due to the melee swings 

Edited by Star Thornberry
  • Like 10

I have to agree, the atmosphere isn't really there yet. Ramping up of zombie numbers and fixing their behavior may not really be enough either, it's the incidental details which also need working on.

• Like 1

The atmosphere needs work. But honestly, zombies will never scare me. Players on the other hand are quite scary. And extremely unpredictable. I just camped at the NWAF, server hopped all sorts of servers for 2 hours, and didn't see a single player. Until I decided to scout for soda - in which a player walked in on me right as I was taking a sip. I shat my pants, and honestly never felt so bad about dying in DayZ.

The atmosphere needs work. But honestly, zombies will never scare me. Players on the other hand are quite scary. And extremely unpredictable. I just camped at the NWAF, server hopped all sorts of servers for 2 hours, and didn't see a single player. Until I decided to scout for soda - in which a player walked in on me right as I was taking a sip. I shat my pants, and honestly never felt so bad about dying in DayZ.

If we add a high percentage of some kind zombie-transmited disease you would be scare shitless when you were to encounter

even one of them.

If we add a high percentage of some kind zombie-transmited disease you would be scare shitless when you were to encounter

even one of them.

I think sickness should be way more common. But Zombies should never be able to infect you. Zomboid has that and it's pretty annoying. Encountering Zeds is a pretty futile attempt because you'll undoubtedly become infected. Maybe real diseases or something. Curable shit.

• Like 2

I think sickness should be way more common. But Zombies should never be able to infect you. Zomboid has that and it's pretty annoying. Encountering Zeds is a pretty futile attempt because you'll undoubtedly become infected. Maybe real diseases or something. Curable shit.

Yep i agree,this preety much,sums up my train of thoughts.

I know how you feel TC.

The game currently feels too much like a camping trip.

The birds chirping, beautiful grasslands and forests, small villages, etc.
Wish it was more foreboding.

I hate always making the comparison because they're different games, but I wish this game was more like STALKER in the atmosphere regard.

• Like 1

Is it just me or did the ambient sound get fixed?

Out in the woods and I can only hear the wind in the trees, bird song and the faint sound of the sea.

I know how you feel TC.

The game currently feels too much like a camping trip.

The birds chirping, beautiful grasslands and forests, small villages, etc.

Wish it was more foreboding.

I hate always making the comparison because they're different games, but I wish this game was more like STALKER in the atmosphere regard.

I hear that. Stalker really freaks you out. Same for Fallout 3. It wasn't a scary game but the atmosphere was so strong. It could really spook you out. Especially Point Lookout.

Speaking of Atmosphere, I really wish they would capitalize on these myths and legends. Cursed Green Mountain, The Green Mountain Lizard Man, Those creepy ass woods outside Svet. It would be easy.

• Like 3

A soundtrack would enhance it a lot.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R is sooo damn creepy at night, this is mostly because of the pitch black and the soundtrack. 

DayZ has the pitch black, all it needs now is the ambient music to really emphasize the creepiness.

The only time i felt scared was when i first played the mod (nearly 2 years ago, eek!). Zombies were everywhere and Cherno was running riot with bandits and people that hadn't a clue what they were doing. The main ingredient and one that people just seem to hate period? Night time!!

Horror movies are normally set at night and that's where the scares are gained, not by some 24-7 daytime server! Coupled with some of the points the OP has made this game will seriously put the sh**s up you lol

Would really love to find a full UK/EU server that has night still running, just to finally use the flashlight and head torch for a change instead of the sun setting the way :P

What the team needs to do is come up with an overarching story, that overlaps and interlinks---a story that should never be officially revealed to anyone. Things such as where the infection started, how it spread, what the reaction was and so on.

Then this story needs to be hinted at in clues throughout the map. Never explicitly told.

That way we can be detectives and try to piece together what happened. The cool thing would be that we might be way off from the intended story, but it would be excellent to have rumours floating around as to why such and such a thing is on the map at a certain location. 

Maybe expand upon the books and stuff in the game to include diaries found on corpses or in houses.

Kinda how the legends of Green Mountain took off but way more in depth. Leave stuff that hints at conspiracies and all sorts. 

This kind of thing would totally raise the game for all the Survival MMOs out there IMO

Edited by DoctorBadSign
  • Like 1

I hear that. Stalker really freaks you out. Same for Fallout 3. It wasn't a scary game but the atmosphere was so strong. It could really spook you out. Especially Point Lookout.

Speaking of Atmosphere, I really wish they would capitalize on these myths and legends. Cursed Green Mountain, The Green Mountain Lizard Man, Those creepy ass woods outside Svet. It would be easy.

Yeah but see it worked in Fallout 3 because it was very relateable to allot of Americans. Also it was easier to do because of the massive city structures on your Eastern coastal areas. Shit even Point Look Out was a creepy place.

These Russian towns just seem WAY to generic and stale at the moment. Not enough sky scrappers or anything to unique. Its all copy and past crap. If they added more giant cities with different kinds of building damage and decay that would help ALLOT.

I loke your post OP but I want the zeds in last I think. I want the last update to be the zeds. Months of running around having it easy and then one day you wake up and you're like, "WTF!!" , "Zombies can grab me and drag me down???" , "They require 9 body shots?? I have to hit them in the head??!!" , "I logged in this morning, looked out the window and saw 500 zombies out then they saw me looking at them and 50 ran over and started breaking down the door to my house then I got eaten!"

I want the forums erupting in tears as everyone gets ripped apart by the zeds and we all have to learn that there's a new boy in town and his name was Zed!

• Like 2