Damnyourdeadman

Locked doors

My idea would be that most of the homes in the Chernarus area,would be locked.

The only way to succesfully open them is by essentially kicking them.I propose a system

where it takes the averange player 3 to 2 minutes to succesfully kick a locked door open improving

the time it consumes depending on the skill(Rocket's idea of getting better at things we do repetative)

HingeKickDJA.jpg

With the help of the crowbar we can lower that time needed around 2-1minutes depending on skill.

breakingentering.png

But theese methods would make break-in bases rather a simle task.

So,player secured positions can be achived  by additional upgradable locking mecahnisms rendering the above

break-in methods useless,but still making it do albe for the thieves to break in.

Level 1 security: Lock Bars

door-bar.jpg
Break in method:Ram
23264_tn.jpg

Upgradable to level 2 security : Steel bar door
Biztons%C3%A1gi-r%C3%A1cs-ajt%C3%B3ra.jp
Break in method:Wealding gear
welding-clothing.jpg

Upgradable to level 3 security :Reinforced steel Door
001%20%282%29.jpg

Break in method:Explosives (C4-other)

C4_explosives.png

Edited by Damnyourdeadman
  • Like 7

I think about this topic alot..locking doors and barricading.. And I think you have broke it down and explained it well because the system could be quite interesting.. no door should be completely impenetrable. Every one should be vulnerable to a degree of damage depending on what tier the door is considered to be + what instrument is being used to penetrate the door  

Edited by liquidcactus
  • Like 1

You have my beans. Though using a crowbar should be faster. Also: lockpicks could be made from almost anything and are incredibly useful

Barricading should be adversely linked to spawning of loot, (once a building is barricaded no loot spawns inside.) Also, to fortify something should make loud noise.

I think about this topic alot..locking doors and barricading.. And I think you have broke it down and explained it well because the system could be quite interesting.. no door should be completely impenetrable. Every one should be vulnerable to a degree of damage depending on what tier the door is considered to be + what instrument is being used to penetrate the door  

Heh,what i'm thinking is,when you upgrade you don't lose your previous made upgrades.

So after all the upgrades the final product would be a "steel bar cage door protecting a reinforced steel door with lock bars".

So you will have to use all 3 break in tools to get access.Also have the ability to upgrade each tier individualy granting more durability.(eg:triple lockbars,reinforced steel bar door and Heavy reinforced steel door)

Edited by Damnyourdeadman

ingame 2 minutes is a long time, especially in a high pressure situation, also it's plenty of time for a guy to lock a door, and combat log.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for locked doors and multiple ways to open them.

IMO

Kick: 5/10 secs (not a timer or a bar to fill, eg payday, but an animation), though it makes a medium noise

Kicking open a door for friends, or zombies

Shoot: instantaneous or 1-5 shots, it could take more or less depending on ammo (00 buck would obliterate the lock, while going at it with chopsticks would be better than shooting it with .22), though people/zeds can hear the gunshots (suppressed weapons ftw).

Imagine sniping open a door for your mate..

Pick: 30 secs, not too long, but long enough for it to be an intense 30 secs. You need tools which at loot-able at police stations and civ buildings. It would suck as an animation though

Other tool: crowbar, battering ram, fireaxe (I feel like nobody thought of this), chainsaw, explosives, however long the devs decide it should take, if they choose to add this.

The other thing I missed but probably would be so obscure it wouldn't be any better than just kicking it in: *insert lame profanity*

Heh,what i'm thinking is,when you upgrade you don't lose your previous made upgrades.

So after all the upgrades the final product would be a "steel bar cage door protecting a reinforced steel door with lock bars".

So you will have to use all 3 break in tools to get access.Also have the ability to upgrade each tier individualy granting more durability.(eg:triple lockbars,reinforced steel bar door and Heavy reinforced steel door)

At that point you would just break a window...

You have my beans. Though using a crowbar should be faster. Also: lockpicks could be made from almost anything and are incredibly useful

hacksaw blades make awesome lockpicks!

ingame 2 minutes is a long time, especially in a high pressure situation, also it's plenty of time for a guy to lock a door, and combat log.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for locked doors and multiple ways to open them.

Well,i admit i purposelly suggested a long duration timer for the sole purpose of making things difficult.

At that point you would just break a window...

When breaking into another's players base it shold be difficult,and not a walk in the park.

You can't enter windows in this game,but even if you could the suggested baricading system could work on

them as well.

Steel Bar casing

bb6_burglar%20bars_burglar%20bar_securit

Steel shuters
Sheridan_Brothers_Hardware_steel_shutter\\

Window locks

Window-lock-security-3.jpg

My idea would be that most of the homes in the Chernarus area,would be locked.

The only way to succesfully open them is by essentially kicking them.I propose a system

where it takes the averange player 3 to 2 minutes to succesfully kick a locked door open improving

the time it consumes depending on the skill(Rocket's idea of getting better at things we do repetative)

HingeKickDJA.jpg

With the help of the crowbar we can lower that time needed around 2-1minutes depending on skill.

strengthen-your-door-frame.jpg

But theese methods would make break-in bases rather a simle task.

So,player secured positions can be achived  by additional upgradable locking mecahnisms rendering the above

break-in methods useless,but still making it do albe for the thieves to break in.

Level 1 security: Lock Bars

door-bar.jpg
Break in method:Ram
62171907-battering-ram.jpg

Upradable to level 2 security : Steel bar door
metal-bar-door-grill.jpg

Break in method:Wealding gear
welding-clothing.jpg
Upgradable to level 3 security :Reinforced steel Door
001%20%282%29.jpg

Break in method:Explosives (C4-other)

C4_explosives.png

Or charging a truck through the door and surrounding wall.

Nobody thought of explosive breaching? It may be a waste of a good frag but I'm sure that it'd be possible to blast open a door by tossing a grenade at the base. If you're ever in that much of a pinch.

That would be ridiculous to have  bunch of doors locked in the towns, taking 2-minutes to loot i'd starve before my 4th house or finding food, everyone would just say screw the system, i mean really.

It is ridiculous that all the doors are open. No realism at all.

The idea is nice, thumb up.

This is an awesome idea. Once they add more zombies this could be a great motivation for teamplay.

Edit: Really sorry for the necro! I didn't see the date of this post. :(

Edited by scriptfactory

Would make the crowbar useful, too! 

Locked Doors are something I would love to see, it would mean that not every house on the coast is likely to be looted as there's always a chance someone didn't bother trying to break down a locked door. But I think there are some things that need to be worked on.

2-3 minutes would be a tad long if it was for every door. HOWEVER, it would be justified if the time to break open a door was dependent on the material of the door. For example, a flimsy door of a garden shed or a shack made of plywood or other weak wood would break fairly easily, but a strong oak door would take a bit longer and even longer to impossible to break down a reinforced metal door barring exceptions when using certain tools.

Also the tools to open the door should in essence determine how much damage it does to the door, Doors should have a natural health, if a door takes too much damage it breaks apart and you can no longer open or close a door but some tools will at least allow you close a door again.

Here's how I see it:

• The Lockpick should be able to unlock and lock doors with no damage to the door or it's lock.
  • A screwdriver can be used as a makeshift lockpick to unlock doors but cannot lock them, it will also damage the lock making it harder to secure
  • Blunt weapons and tools such as the Hammer, Crowbar, Pipe Wrench, Fire Extinguisher. Shovel, Pickaxe, Farming Hoe and Sledge Hammer will also do significant damage to the lock and some damage to the door.
  • The Fire Extinguisher and the Sledge Hammer should have the most ease at breaking open a door. (As a fire extinguisher can be used as an improvised battering ram while some Sledge Hammers are used by Police as Breaching Tools). It will destroy the lock (making it impossible to lock again) but will allow you to close and open the door.
  • Crowbars can be used on both Wooden and Metal Doors. Metal Doors take the longest to open with the Crowbar but its the only other way to open a metal door quietly if you do not have a lockpick.
  • The Machete, Splitting Axe, Fire Axe and Chainsaw will destroy any wooden door its used on with varying lengths of effort required (a chainsaw is the fastest). Explosives are the only real way to quickly break down locked metal doors.
  • While the Machete, Splitting Axe and Fire Axe all have a potential chance of destroying a wooden door. A Chainsaw will almost ALWAYS destroy a wooden door when used on it.

Awesome ideas.

I really like the fact that houses can randomly be locked too. Makes it less likely that every single house that's locked will get checked and therefore makes it more likely that a barricaded base might go unnoticed. Would be good to have a range of different locks & door types spawn on random houses though so that well protected bases don't stand out.

Though, there are basic locked doors already, implying that this is already being worked on. :P

Edited by Beizs