Sign in to follow this  
TommyP88

I get lost so easily on this game - Need navigation tips

As much as I love the game already, I can spend hours walking around the countryside in the search of a city or a large town. I've read up a little bit on navigation tips, such as the direction the clouds blow, where the sun sets etc, but so far it hasn't really helped. 

How do you navigate around the day z without a map or compass? Any tips to share? 

Thanks

Edited by TommyP88

How do you navigate around the day z without a map or compass? Any tips to share? 

With time comes exceptional navigational skills. After far too many hours on ARMA 2's Chernarus and Chernarus+ I don't need anything to navigate. I have only ever had a map once in closed testing, but only because I wanted to take a look at it. You will get used to it and have a rough idea where to go when you're running around.

To start off, there are maps online you can use, best would be to have a second screen or an iPad where you have it open. :)=

• Like 1

Using an online map can take a little of the fun out of it.  You can also find maps in the game, but they're pretty rare.  If you don't want to use an online map you could learn what the signs say and follow them.  I wanted to cut back on using a map so I made a quick cipher so I can translate the road signs.

North is up south is down just grab a map and draw a line to where you want to go and use the compass to stay on that line.

Very helpful

How do you navigate around the day z without a map or compass?

• Like 1

Very helpful

erhm... yeah good point... Didnt have coffee yet so missed that rather important part of his post :/

Heres the links to 2 good maps... 

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

http://www.izurvive.com/

You can find a compass in most cities if you look around a bit. Map can be found in various places such as police stations, cars ect, useually they are parts of the whole map which you can combine to get the whole picture.

Edited by Massacre
  • Like 1

As much as I love the game already, I can spend hours walking around the countryside in the search of a city or a large town. I've read up a little bit on navigation tips, such as the direction the clouds blow, where the sun sets etc, but so far it hasn't really helped. 

Thanks

small vid on making teh world map, if you need to knonw how xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koIExiXchzA

Edited by Aaronjin

If you truly have no idea of where you are, you can always try to follow power lines or asphalted roads. That should take you somewhere.

The far north is a unfinished wasteland with grey spots where buildings should be and almost no loot, so watch out for that. (Altough many of those places are now actual villages with stuff in, so that's nice)

With time comes exceptional navigational skills. After far too many hours on ARMA 2's Chernarus and Chernarus+ I don't need anything to navigate. I have only ever had a map once in closed testing, but only because I wanted to take a look at it. You will get used to it and have a rough idea where to go when you're running around.

To start off, there are maps online you can use, best would be to have a second screen or an iPad where you have it open. :)=

Hello there

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

No.

No...

Just No.

Dont use external maps, yes its easier but you loose out so much of the fun.

Ive been playing on Cherno since the release of A2 and I still get lost. BUT half the fun is on finding your way back.

Ignore my poor and foolish fellow mods advice to use external maps, I shall administer his pills more regularly in future.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 3

After a while you end up knowing where you're going.  You learn that certain roads can be seen from certain treelines, or certain buildings are in a specific city/town, or maybe a certain cluster of buildings set up in a certain way is a specific area.  I do most of my travelling across country (most of the time with a compass but sometimes without) and you eventually know where you're heading.  Every once in a while I do have to go down to a town to find a road sign, but that's not often now.

Just keep playing and exploring and you will eventually come to know the map.

Hello there

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

No.

No...

Just No.

Dont use external maps, yes its easier but you loose out so much of the fun.

Ive been playing on Cherno since the release of A2 and I still get lost. BUT half the fun is on finding your way back.

Ignore my poor and foolish fellow mods advice to use external maps, I shall administer his pills more regularly in future.

Rgds

LoK

Don't worry, my lovely horse. I personally am not using any external maps. I see it more as a solution for people if they get ultimately lost.

I am not suggesting to use them all the time - I even play mods / maps for ARMA 2 I have never heard of before without a map, because I like the feeling to get lost.

Can I get my pills now?

• Like 1

Clouds go west to east (or is it east to west, I can never bloody remember).  So turn ya clouds back on...

The sun is always in the south, depending on the time of day it'll either be more SE or SW'ish.  So take a note of the server time when you join.

Now you don't need a compass to tell you which direction you are facing.  The next task is to learn where towns are in relation to each other and that just takes time.  Or a map.

Edited by Martmital

I'd have to agree with lok

Your best times in DayZ will come when you are completely new to the map. I'd just stay away from maps (in game and external) for a bit and explore all the foreign parts on your own, you won't regret it ;)

• Like 1

Clouds go west to east (or is it east to west, I can never bloody remember).  So turn ya clouds back on...

The sun is always in the south, depending on the time of day it'll either be more SE or SW'ish.  So take a note of the server time when you join.

Now you don't need a compass to tell you which direction you are facing.  The next task is to learn where towns are in relation to each other and that just takes time.  Or a map.

Clouds go where the wind blows so they can go everywhere. This isn't Arma 2 anymore and clouds are volumetric.

Clouds go where the wind blows so they can go everywhere. This isn't Arma 2 anymore and clouds are volumetric.

Can you provide me with a link that backs up that claim?

Would explain why I'm never where i think I am, but I attributed that to me being a stoner and forgetting which way the clouds move.

Can you provide me with a link that backs up that claim?

Would explain why I'm never where i think I am, but I attributed that to me being a stoner and forgetting which way the clouds move.

Well I can record a video from Take On Helicopters, the engine that DayZ is using, to show that the cloud direction is random. I pretty much assume that's how it is also in DayZ.

You can try with the sun it rises to the east and set to the west

If you look at the coast...its south if you look at the top of the maps its north