Sign in to follow this  

What is the speed of the player?

The game is already very niche..to much realism would make it unplayable for most. Unless they went total realism but that just isn't possible...yet.

You can't make something like mobility 100% realistic when you can bandage bullet holes and call it good lol.

You want your cake and eat it too.. fists do more DMG than a baseball bat lol..also have you ever been in a real fight? The human head is harder than it looks...

Imagine the status messages if the game was totally realistic lol..

Your balls itch..- gives away position scratching

You have an allergic reaction to a bee sting - you are dead

You have sprained your ankle.

You are too sweaty - develop debilitating rash

Would you play a game that was just like real life? Lol

• Like 1

The game would die.

No it wouldn't

The main attraction for dayz was its difficulty it got famous because of its mil sim gameplay and its perma death features.

The harder it gets the more appeal the game receives.

No one has the time to spend hours and hours getting anywhere in the game who have a life outside iof gaming. Why do you think a lot of open world games and MMOs have fast travel/portals.

What YOU or I want is not what the majority wants. My guess is the forum community is less than 1/10 the games total player base.

Edited by Shaeg

No one has the time to spend hours and hours getting anywhere in the game who have a life outside if gaming. Why do you think a lot of open world games and MMOs have fast travel/portals.

What YOU or I want is not what the majority wants. NY guess is the forum community is less than 1/10 the games total player base.

You can bet your sorry ass there will not be any fast travel or portals.  You have picked the wrong game to play, sorry to break it to ya.

You get bit by a rattlesnake.

You suffer a blow to the knock and are paralyzed - lay in game for 5 days IRL and starve to death..cmon lol

You can bet your sorry ass there will not be any fast travel or portals.  You have picked the wrong game to play, sorry to break it to ya.

You did not understand what I wrote.

What I'm saying is...the current run/travel speed is fine. Its a game.

What I'm saying is...the current run/travel speed is fine. Its a game.

Current run speed makes you run like this

Thats the speed even though you have a rifle, tons of clothing, potentially armor, and a backpack full of gear.

What we need is speed to be determined by what you are wearing.

Heavily loaded character = runs slowly , gets tired fast.

Lighter character who is packing light to go out on a hunt or to scavenge = runs much faster, is not fatigued easily.

If/when they allow custom servers...let me see how much you enjoy moving snail speed through berenzino then tell me how much fun your having being cannon fodder for mosin heros

Mayyybe if we could store stuff in the game I could see stamina/run speed being more realistic. And if they made all weapons lethal which would be realistic... let's face it u can kill someone with a pen. Running from zombies as new spawn with super realism in place would suck balls lol..You have tripped. Ffffuuuuu...you are too fatigued. Ffffuuuu you sprain your ankle scrambling away ffffuuu. The QQ from zombies chasing people down who seem to only die to an axe melee would be endless

Edited by Shaeg

The show the walking dead does zombies right.

Simple stab to the face works....wish we had zombie hordes to pose real danger

Before any changes are made to the character running speed, the most important thing that needs to happen is for players to have a way to quickly meet up with friends. It's not really fun knowing that it will take hours to get to your friend when he spawns on the other side of chernarus. Vehicles aren't an immediate solution to this problem as they are meant to be scarce and hard to get working.

A lot of people complain it takes hours to find your friends in DayZ.

A conservative estimate of a 16km/h average sprint speed, seems much faster than this but I am allowing for elevation/dodging through towns etc.

Corner to corner of the mapped land mass is approximately 21km. That is the furthest possible you can run in a straight line.

At 16km/h, that would take you approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Now, running the coast road from the edge of the map past Kamenka all the way to Svetlojarsk is approximately 25km

Again conservatively estimating 16km/h despite the lack of elevation, this would take you approximately 1 hour and 35 minutes.

All of this is assuming you're conducting some kind of covert ops assault on the blank edge of the map out past Kamenka, the more likely scenario is that you have just both been killed and are fresh spawns looking to catch back up.

The spawn coast, since there are no longer Elektro or Kamyshovo spawns, Extends from Svetlojarsk down south to Three Valleys below Solnichny.

This is just a hair under 8km. Using the previous estimate of 16km/h for consistency, this will take you around 30 minutes.

If it takes you "hours" to get to your friend, you've gone the wrong way, or he has.

• Like 1

If/when they allow custom servers...let me see how much you enjoy moving snail speed through berenzino then tell me how much fun your having being cannon fodder for mosin heros

Mayyybe if we could store stuff in the game I could see stamina/run speed being more realistic. And if they made all weapons lethal which would be realistic... let's face it u can kill someone with a pen. Running from zombies as new spawn with super realism in place would suck balls lol..You have tripped. Ffffuuuuu...you are too fatigued. Ffffuuuu you sprain your ankle scrambling away ffffuuu. The QQ from zombies chasing people down who seem to only die to an axe melee would be endless

It's not hard to punch out a zombie. :S

Certainly, although using smaller packs and traveling light already has advantages when it comes to camouflage.

Well yeah thats true but it isn't enough. It's not stopping hoarders like me :D

A lot of people complain it takes hours to find your friends in DayZ.

A conservative estimate of a 16km/h average sprint speed, seems much faster than this but I am allowing for elevation/dodging through towns etc.

Corner to corner of the mapped land mass is approximately 21km. That is the furthest possible you can run in a straight line.

At 16km/h, that would take you approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Now, running the coast road from the edge of the map past Kamenka all the way to Svetlojarsk is approximately 25km

Again conservatively estimating 16km/h despite the lack of elevation, this would take you approximately 1 hour and 35 minutes.

All of this is assuming you're conducting some kind of covert ops assault on the blank edge of the map out past Kamenka, the more likely scenario is that you have just both been killed and are fresh spawns looking to catch back up.

The spawn coast, since there are no longer Elektro or Kamyshovo spawns, Extends from Svetlojarsk down south to Three Valleys below Solnichny.

This is just a hair under 8km. Using the previous estimate of 16km/h for consistency, this will take you around 30 minutes.

If it takes you "hours" to get to your friend, you've gone the wrong way, or he has.

Whoah, not sure where you got your measurements from but corner to corner is about 204 km, land mass, not including water.  That's SW to NE.  From SE to NW it's still approximately 176 km 

Whoah, not sure where you got your measurements from but corner to corner is about 204 km, land mass, not including water.  That's SW to NE.  From SE to NW it's still approximately 176 km 

Used the DayZ DB map for a rough guestimate.

My point still stands and is even more valid if it is smaller.

Used the DayZ DB map for a rough guestimate.

My point still stands and is even more valid if it is smaller.

Hmmm from your post "Corner to corner of the mapped land mass is approximately 21km" 

This may have been a typo?  And I use the DayZ DB as well.  I didn't exactly zoom in all the way to get the exact corner

Hmmm from your post "Corner to corner of the mapped land mass is approximately 21km" 

This may have been a typo?  And I use the DayZ DB as well.  I didn't exactly zoom in all the way to get the exact corner

Corner to corner can't be 204km though, the whole map is 260ish sqkm.

Corner to corner can't be 204km though, the whole map is 260ish sqkm.

That includes the water.  Also, I believe it's only 225 sqkm, not 250

Edited by Caboose187

Are you actually searching for exact figures on the speed? If so, why? What would be the difference if you knew?

Cause I will do some calculations for sniping...

Afaik, the run speed in the mod was 18km/h. Ive been using that speed to calculate where to run when I respawn after death. And it seems accurate during those circumstances.

?? divide by 10 those numbers and you got it right. Takes from about 30 minutes to go from Balota to Berezino sprinting non-stop right now (tested it myself).

That includes the water.  Also, I believe it's only 225 sqkm, not 250

It is 21km....not 200 odd lol.......200km would be 200,000m its about 20,000m corner to corner....that's 20-21 km ;)

Simple misunderstanding me thinks :)

As for meeting up with friends.....that is the single most valuable asset in dayz. More than any gear piece or cloathing item. A second set of eyes is the ultimate survival tool and shouldn't be easy to get. Me and my friends usually pick a meeting point.....say Zelen. Then our first nights play is done solo, trying to make it there. The next night we all log in together and play as a group.

That's not too hard or unreasonable. Just imaging the grinds of months some rpg games make you do.....just to be able to play with your friends. This game asks for an hour or less to meet up if you are determined....less if you know where you are going. Its just the boredom inbetween that gets people.

I hope we never see something like group spawning....its against the dayz ethos, and would instantly give a huge advantage to groups with no effort to gain that advantage :)