Sign in to follow this  

What is the speed of the player?

Hi, I was wondering what speeds the player moves at in the different states.

Like sprinting, running, walking, prone run, prone sneak, crawl and crawl sneak...

I could not find anything on google cause I suck at searching for info -_-

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Guest

Not sure what the exact speed is but I can tell you its too fast.

Olympic sprinter speed + permanent stamina + a 80 lb backpack = wtf realism.

• Like 5

Are you actually searching for exact figures on the speed? If so, why? What would be the difference if you knew?

Are you actually searching for exact figures on the speed? If so, why? What would be the difference if you knew?

To provide feedback on it and assess it for realism?

Personally I think movement speed is too high, currently.. but I'd rather they didn't adjust it till we have more options than just wearing out our shoes for getting from A to B.

Edited by TheScruffyBandit
  • Like 1

Olympic sprinter speed + permanent stamina + a 80 lb backpack = wtf realism.

At the end of the day it's a game, you'd always have to make a choice between gameplay elements and hyper-realism.

In this scenario as long as decent modes of transport are absent I don't mind my character being able to run for an infinite amount of time.

It's the same for the medic system, breaking a leg in a zombie apocalypse would pretty much mean game-over, but that's pretty lame and unfun so you're allowed to smack some sticks against it and call it a day.

Unless you also really want pooping and a 6-hour sleep routine to be part of the game.

Back on topic though I believe there's a guy who ran past the entire coast so considering you know the dimension of the map you'd be able to calculate an approximate speed, not sure if anyone has done this already though.

• Like 1

Before any changes are made to the character running speed, the most important thing that needs to happen is for players to have a way to quickly meet up with friends. It's not really fun knowing that it will take hours to get to your friend when he spawns on the other side of chernarus. Vehicles aren't an immediate solution to this problem as they are meant to be scarce and hard to get working.

The sprinting speed is about 1.5 times faster than the normal speed of an arma 2 character, aproxximately

when dirivng with an old hatchbag in arma 2 above grass with 20 km/h, a player could run past you

so yeah, we are talking 30km/h or about 9 m/s which is about normal sprinting speed with unlimited stamina and a whole lot of stuff you are carrying

i hope this gets changed later when vehicles are added, or else they would not be worth the effort repairing them

• Like 2

Yes. Players are too fast.

Also its too easy to sprint for long times with sh1t tone of weight.

I really think theyll adjust it once we have vehicles :)

Yes, we probably run way to fast. But I don't think they should change it until we get a weight and stamina system implanted. We don't have any vehicles to travel with so it would just annoy people even more.

I really think that the amount of stuff you carry should affect your running speed. It would give the players in Dayz a choice. Should I get this and be slower or let it be so that I'm more agile? 

It would mean that more stuff would be left for other players and not only for one guy who loots everything.

• Like 1

I really think that the amount of stuff you carry should affect your running speed. It would give the players in Dayz a choice. Should I get this and be slower or let it be so that I'm more agile? 

It would mean that more stuff would be left for other players and not only for one guy who loots everything.

Certainly, although using smaller packs and traveling light already has advantages when it comes to camouflage.

If you're referring to the mod, and presuming you have a rifle in your hands, then walking is 100m/min, upright jogging is 100m/20s, crouched jogging is 100m/27s, and sprinting is 100m/15s.

Jogging and sprinting are slightly faster carrying a pistol or no weapon at all.

Your pace count is 62.

SA could be different of course.

Spent a lot of time practicing dead-reckoning in ARMA.

Before any changes are made to the character running speed, the most important thing that needs to happen is for players to have a way to quickly meet up with friends. It's not really fun knowing that it will take hours to get to your friend when he spawns on the other side of chernarus. Vehicles aren't an immediate solution to this problem as they are meant to be scarce and hard to get working.

Welcome to surviving.  And in no way should should we be able to quickly meet up with friends.  That's the whole point to your adventure.  Just wait until fatigue and an updated hunger/thirst system come in.  It'll take you dayz until you find your friends assuming you don't get eaten by hungry wolves/bears or have a zombie munch on you because you attempted to run 80km without taking a break and fell over from exhaustion.

Pffbt, people should be happy that they even can meet up with friends after they die. In real life you sure can't unless you believe in some kind of afterlife...

Really, much of the greatest adventures I've been a part of happened when I was trying to meet up with my friends.

Ok lets put actually visualize this for a minute and you guys can tell me if it makes any sense.

Right now with the lack of any stamina system and the players somhow being triathletes a player is able to run at this pace when sprinting event hough he probably has a backpack, a rifle and probably  +50 lb of gear on his back indefinitely.

This is why we need a stamina system this is ridiculous.

Welcome to surviving.  And in no way should should we be able to quickly meet up with friends.  That's the whole point to your adventure.  Just wait until fatigue and an updated hunger/thirst system come in.  It'll take you dayz until you find your friends assuming you don't get eaten by hungry wolves/bears or have a zombie munch on you because you attempted to run 80km without taking a break and fell over from exhaustion.

so glad you aren't on the dev team.

Disagreed,

I don't think anyone should just be able to "teleport" to another alive player. But if you want to play together with friends, you should atleast be able to party and spawn in the same town as new spawns. Remember, if two people spawn, it's still two mouths to feed. With food scarcity, it may even be harder for groups of players to survive together when starting out.

so glad you aren't on the dev team.

People like you are going to ruin my game. 

It was somewhere about 19 km/h in the mod and around 23 km/h while sprinting. The speeds felt even faster in standalone never mind the old fists-up-while-running but I never checked it.

But too fast either way.

I was in the pre-alpha test server when the speeds were set.

This took place with no gear and over a set distance, all the stances were tested.

The different speeds were adjusted until a realistic average was achieved.

We now have different elements that have to be taken into consideration, so it is very difficult to judge what is correct, from a players point of view.

My personal thoughts are that running with weapon in hand (not raised) and geared up with a 25 slot pack  is about right.

Sprinting with weapon raised seems a little excessive (think axe).

There are too many elements to take into consideration at this stage of development, health, weight and diminishing stamina, for example.

As always Early Access = WIP.

To answer the question, the data is out there somewhere, I just don't have access but I will say that  I did have a good time running along with the Devs !

If the was too realistic...I wouldn't have enough time to play nor would I want to spend 1-3hrs to find a can of beans.

While we are talking about hyper realism let's talk about why all weapons aren't as lethal as the fire axe. Stab to the eye with screwdriver = dead

Crow bar can't kill shit what is it made out of hollow plastic?

-Tons if beds in the game can't use bed sheets

-1 stab from bayonet would kill pretty much anyone or thing

-female players should be physically weaker than male toons

starting to sound ridiculous? We play games for fun not to have 2 lives. If you want to use games to have a second life..you have some serious issues you should work out

• Like 1

If the was too realistic...I wouldn't have enough time to play nor would I want to spend 1-3hrs to find a can of beans.

While we are talking about hyper realism let's talk about why all weapons aren't as lethal as the fire axe. Stab to the eye with screwdriver = dead

Crow bar can't kill shit what is it made out of hollow plastic?

-Tons if beds in the game can't use bed sheets

-1 stab from bayonet would kill pretty much anyone or thing

-female players should be physically weaker than male toons

starting to sound ridiculous? We play games for fun not to have 2 lives. If you want to use games to have a second life..you have some serious issues you should work out

Dayz is not a game.

It is the counter, the anti game it does'nt and shouldn't give a fuck if the player is having fun.

The mechanics in the game should mirror real life and should be there to punish the player and make the game harder not to hold his hand.

• Like 1