akafugitive

wind direction/speed feedback to the player

If you're in 3rd person view, you just press: [compass number-keybind] > [spacebar] > [Enter] in quick succession, and you're there - it's still faster than doing it in the real world.

I agree that tool-belts and necklace pouches are a good idea, though. There does eventually need to be some sort of movement/dexterity penalty implemented for having lots of kit strapped to you, I think.

Please no kestrel windmeter, never.
This would not be suitable.

- Take a handkerchief size cloth (a T-shirt rag).
- Put some white ash (could be collected from incoming fireplace).
- Fold rag border and make a knot, ash should be compacted (about a tablespoon volume occupied).

- Tap the ball with just a finger :

At each tap some ash particle will go throught cloth layer and since it is very light, wind will take it away showing you direction and strenght.

This is a "trick" learnt by african tracker/hunter, they use it to check if they walk into the wind.

• Like 1

I just noticed that Take On Helicopters has a pretty nice wind feedback. Bushes, trees and grass also get affected by the wind:

Technology is there. The video was recorded with max wind speed. With lower wind speed the effect is naturally not that big but you can still see the direction if watch closely. I can record more detailed video if wanted.

I just wonder would this have some big performance hit in MP?

1) visual feedback; ability to throw handful of dust or grass up

2) aural feedback; 'hear' the wind blowing into your ear, much as IRL, use the free head movement to gauge direction

Both of the above would only need a few 'levels' to determine strength/windspeed

This, and the ashes-in-a-tied-up-rag that one person suggested. It should be enough. When I fire certain large caliber weapon systems irl I've learned the pinch of dust or grass trick. It works wonders.

Authentic you say.

Think about when you are out side and the wind blows how quickly can you just instinctively tell what direction the wind is flowing?

Ask your self do you need a flag or dirt to tell you it is flowing to your left or straight ahead?

You generally don't right its just one of those easy things you can just feel.

Arrow is a good way to simulate that without the need of yet another cumbersome and unrealistic mechanic.

Your skin is the largest organ, it is able to guess wind direction and relative speed even with out training.

I gotta point out, that it's actually pretty hard to tell the direction of the wind when you're fully clothed, unless the wind is blowing pretty hard. As soon as there is only a little wind it becomes really hard to tell how fast and what direction it's blowing. That's the reason someone even came up with the idea to lick their finger. And as you surely know even a little wind affects bullet travel. Especially over longer distances.

In regards to the suggestion of foliage moving and dust blowing up, again that doesn't happen until the wind blows fairly strongly. Check out the Beaufort scale and consider it for a while.

And I gotta say I really don't want arrows on my screen. No offense, but it would take away from immersion for me.

This, and the ashes-in-a-tied-up-rag that one person suggested. It should be enough. When I fire certain large caliber weapon systems irl I've learned the pinch of dust or grass trick. It works wonders.

I gotta point out, that it's actually pretty hard to tell the direction of the wind when you're fully clothed, unless the wind is blowing pretty hard. As soon as there is only a little wind it becomes really hard to tell how fast and what direction it's blowing. That's the reason someone even came up with the idea to lick their finger. And as you surely know even a little wind affects bullet travel. Especially over longer distances.

In regards to the suggestion of foliage moving and dust blowing up, again that doesn't happen until the wind blows fairly strongly. Check out the Beaufort scale and consider it for a while.

And I gotta say I really don't want arrows on my screen. No offense, but it would take away from immersion for me.

It might be immersion breaking but it is the only way to relay information to the player , information the player inherently would know.

Certain information cannot be relayed to the player without hud elements there is simply no way to do it without the player actually being in game and feeling what the character feels. sadly games do not send us the 5 senses through our keyboards so Hud elements are absolutely critical at times. Think about the hunger icons in the inventory menu.

There would be no other way to tell the player you are hungry it simply cannot be done reliably without a tiny unobstructed hud icon.

They tried to do it at first without a hud element but remember how that played out ? people would just die out of nowhere due to neglecting their hunger and thirst and then have no clue as to why they died.

I still think a colored arrow with the direction that the player perceives the wind and the color identifying perceived wind strength is the best solution.

It is only temporary and lasts a few seconds then disappears no longer breaking immersion.

It really honestly is an arrow or some text describing what direction the wind is and what strength but the text has flaws because how would the player know what direction north is or what direction south is without a compass.

It really honestly is an arrow or some text describing what direction the wind is and what strength but the text has flaws because how would the player know what direction north is or what direction south is without a compass.

It doesn't need to be compass directions. The wind could be said with clock directions. So when you want to check the wind direction you could get a message "...Wind blows from 4 o'clock..." and the direction is taken where you're currently looking. Just like the spotting is done in Arma.

It doesn't need to be compass directions. The wind could be said with clock directions. So when you want to check the wind direction you could get a message "...Wind blows from 4 o'clock..." and the direction is taken where you're currently looking. Just like the spotting is done in Arma.

That would work quite well.

I made a thread with the same idea, here are my ideas

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/184284-visual-and-auditory-wind-effect-ideas-first-shot-accuracy-made-authentic-when-weather-effects-for-bullets-added-plz/

The only things you can't do in a video game as far as wind is concerned is windchill, feeling the wind on your skin, hair, whereever.

What you can do that can scale with the wind speeds and indicate direction.

Swaying of the trees (you'll have to redo the rubber trees of arma that tilt at the root). Also sustained bending of trees during gusts of wind or very strong winds.

Sound of wind as it blows through tree leaves, grass and the rest of the terrain.

Waves on the ocean and ripples on small bodies of water/puddles.

Flying debrees like trash and leaves. Dust and sand. Loose snow.

Angle that rain and snow falls at.

Swaying of bushes and grass (grassy fields actually look like waves in strong winds).

Doors/windows slamming shut in drafty conditions. The bigger the bang the stronger the wind. Could also cause some jump scares.

Flags, banners and signs waving and swaying in the wind.

How wind affects your clothes and hair (bullet physics idea?).

The ear that is towards the direction the wind is blowing from should have a stronger turbulence sound in stronger winds.

Wind socks at airfields. Are there any wind socks naval ports?

Wind socks at weather stations (I posted a building ideas thread and that is one of my suggestions).

People will just have to get a feel for the DayZ wind speeds and apply some Kentucky windage.

Also when weather and ballistics stuff is added, please change the first shot accuracies for pristine guns to what they are in real life. Then you can increase the disperion for bad ammo and dirty guns. And add a zeroing error for banged up gun (not increase in disperion). The stocks, handguards, rails, flash hiders, verical grips etc. should not have an effect on first shot accuracies.

I'm out of ideas, post more.

-- Sailor's tip to get wind direction is to turn your head till you can hear the wind blow in both your ears (works perfectly at sea) --

Now, I was thinking about that too : I guess many people would not like it, but I think when you wear some item on your face, you should see them in first person (mask, sunglasses, motorbike helmet, etc...) creating some kind of blind spot sometimes, real protection against sunlight, etc. depends on the item.

So here is why I'm talking about that in that wind topic. We could have hair showing in the up side of the screen (something subtle with transparency) just like when you got hair enough and you can see it in real life. Like in real life after a while you wouldn't notice it anymore, but movement of those hair could give indications about wind direction and strenght.

Mask and motorbike helmet once again would nullified this option, because it's quite clear that when you really need to feel the wind, you are doing this with your face, so if your face is covered... Guess why all those snipers are wearing boonie hats...

Once again this is only a suggestion.

It might be immersion breaking but it is the only way to relay information to the player , information the player inherently would know.

I disagree an arrow is the only way to convey that message.

Several alternative ways have been suggested:

- Hearing the wind in audio.

- Getting a text message.

- Pinch of dirt or grass.

- Handkerchief filled with ash.

Basically I would take any of those over the arrow sollution.

I disagree an arrow is the only way to convey that message.

Several alternative ways have been suggested:

- Hearing the wind in audio.

- Getting a text message.

- Pinch of dirt or grass.

- Handkerchief filled with ash.

Basically I would take any of those over the arrow sollution.

1. I like the idea of listening to see what direction the wind is but frankly dayz has horrible positional audio. Dozens of times guns are being shot within 40m of me and I cannot tell what direction it is I can only tell if its behind me or in front of me.

2. Text message would definetely work although I feel its a bit unintuitive and kinda ugly looking. It would work though

3. This would work too

4. Never heard of this method before.

1. I like the idea of listening to see what direction the wind is but frankly dayz has horrible positional audio. Dozens of times guns are being shot within 40m of me and I cannot tell what direction it is I can only tell if its behind me or in front of me.

2. Text message would definetely work although I feel its a bit unintuitive and kinda ugly looking. It would work though

3. This would work too

4. Never heard of this method before.

1. Maybe it's your headphones that aren't good enough? No offense, but proper audio equipment makes a lot of difference.

2. Yeah, I agree this is somewhat "ugly", but if that's what they do I guess I'll live with it.

4. Read back in this thread. A guy suggested this item could be crafted from a rag and ashes. It's apparently a method used by African trackers to check the wind direction.

1. Maybe it's your headphones that aren't good enough? No offense, but proper audio equipment makes a lot of difference.

2. Yeah, I agree this is somewhat "ugly", but if that's what they do I guess I'll live with it.

4. Read back in this thread. A guy suggested this item could be crafted from a rag and ashes. It's apparently a method used by African trackers to check the wind direction.

No I got a decent sound card an asus xonar + a pair of audio technica ath m50s

Every other game directional sound is good but in dayz its really bad.

No I got a decent sound card an asus xonar + a pair of audio technica ath m50s

Every other game directional sound is good but in dayz its really bad.

Well that's another change we need to lobby for then. I doubt it's intentional or can't be fixed. It's good that you're pointing that out.

Well that's another change we need to lobby for then. I doubt it's intentional or can't be fixed. It's good that you're pointing that out.

Yea I am sure it will get fixed audio will be a big thing for dayz.

It really immerses you when done properly plus being able to hear gunshot direction and immediately know the direction and distance is vital.

• Like 1

Honestly, although I would like to see it, I don't believe using foliage or grass or any alpha masks as a tool to see which way the wind direction is. The engine definitly wouldn't be able to support the amount of rendering it would take; always constantly moving back and forth up and down. Even if the engine could run it, it would destroy even my PC which is let's say elite high-end. Since if I list the specs I know what will happen. 

Work demands a ton of modeling, editing, video capture, etc. As well as run 2 other PC's 1 being a server so yes my main desktop is insane. But don't wish to see 500 comments about how "I don't need that" when I do.

I am alright with vague command like licking your finger to test the wind, but nothing too specific. Plus you have the clouds already so look up to help.

If it is too specific even like "The wind feels like its coming from the East" then it shouldn't even be added since the simulator aspect would be lost. It should be like "I feel wind on my right" that way you can't use it as a compass or know the speed of the wind.

At the moment the FOV zooming the scopes in makes the reticle useless, plus they are for fixed guns. A PSO-1 is only for 7.62x39m ammo e.g, SKS, SVD, AK-47, etc. However when you are sniping, you shouldn't be able to dial your windage bar perfectly by just your finger or the gesture. You should have to have an anemometer or a basic ambient weather tool in order to get the 500m+ shots with perfect windage/elevation.

But aside from all that, they need to stop trying to implement more things. They need to fix the core mechanics. Guns ballistics are all wrong at the moment, same with scopes as mention above.

Also look at this mod video (I love it) for ArmA 3. Gives a good idea of proper ballistics, scope, elevation, and wind working together. -> http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20906

Yup, licking finger and sticking it up is just what we need. Everyone knows it and its simple. 

148f938cd2a0.jpg

Smoke, flags, leaves and clouds are very simple visual indicators of which direction the wind is blowing and how strong it is.

Wouldn't it be nice if they added in Wind for whenever you are sniping?

You'd have to have a speedometer for extremely long distances, though. The devs are all about realism, right? wind Is real.

Wouldn't it be nice if they added in Wind for whenever you are sniping?

You'd have to have a speedometer for extremely long distances, though. The devs are all about realism, right? wind Is real.

Murghaaeaed.