Sign in to follow this  
cnqr

FPS - once again

Hello,

I have a huge FPS issues, dont' know why 'cuz there's not really any reason. I don't want to blame last dayz update but I've noticed that fps drop since that. Worked just fine b4 that update (guess - 30-50fps, full details).

Important note: changing ingame video settings doesn't have any difference. I have same FPS (+-12) with the lowest and the highest setting (all postprocess and other FPS eaters ON) no matter what.

Read forums here, googled, drivers updated - nothing really helped.

I'm running on a month old ROG G750JX:

Win 8.1 64bit, BIOS G750JX.208

i7-4700HQ

GTX 770M (3gb) - 335.23 Driver (tried 337.50 Beta, no difference)

8gb RAM

Windows updates up and running.

DxDiag enclosed.

I am not really experienced in NVIDIA Control Panel so maybe there's something wrong. idk :(

Thanks for any help and tips. 

DxDiag.txt

...laptop....Have you tried GeForce Experience? In case they have a profile that is similar to your system i would try that first. If that doesn't work it might really be a problem with either the patch or the game having a conflict with Windows 8.1 ( sometimes having the newest OS isn't always good ). I haven't been watching the development of 8.1 since i'm satisfied with Win 7 64bit so i can't tell if it's any good for gamers.

Edited by Enforcer

I managed to use the G.F. Experience to optimize DayZ -FPS went only +5 in average and the game looks really terrible 'cuz of really low details. However it also says I do not meet minimum requirements so I ran a couple of tests. 

systemrequirementslab.com reports "PASSED" for a minimum req. but surprisingly it reported poor CPU as well...

second test went like this: image

And if you look for some youtube tests w/ that laptop - it should run just fine with decent settings. (e.g. here)

It looks like CPU is kind of f*#!ed. Any ideas? I would exclude a OS from the list because it ran really good some time ago.

I think that's what most users set up the game with systems similar to yours. GeForce experience does nothing more.

Well the guy in the youtube video basicall turned off everything that makes the game look better to increase fps, are your settings comparable to his. What else did you expect turning off details increasing both fps and quality? You get what you set/buy/or whatever. I wonder why the game ran better before the GPU might be good but it still is a "M", the CPU speed is pretty minimal as you said the fact that it is one of the newest generation CPUs doesn't change that. If i reduce the speed of my i7 2600K from 3.5 to 2.4 GHz it would be the same and i also have a GTX770 but not a weaker laptop version. You shouldn't rely on benchmarks alone. I mean there must be a gap between a dedicated gaming rig and a laptop even if the hardware series 770 vs 770M are "the same" on first glance.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-770M-vs-GeForce-GTX-770 you can't ignore a 30% difference in performance.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/284/Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-4700HQ_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-2600K.html Comparison between our CPUs.

Just saw that you have an on board GPU? Might want to check if that hasn't been turned on by accident...would be great if that was the problem solver.

If not would you mind running 3D Mark 11 Demo and share your results?

Edited by Enforcer

Yea I know laptops suck a bit but I have a reason why I bought that. Back to that video - turning off all of rendering boosted FPS +20... I my case there's not a real difference.

I have no idea how to turn on that onboard GPU, some forums says it is not even possible (why its there lol).

In NVIDIA Control Panel ->manage 3d settings - there's not other option - only GTX 770M... For PhysX - its set to auto (choice - GPU and CPU). Tried GPU, didn't work. 

3D MARK results

Edited by cnqr

If that GPU is off or not even on board makes it even better.

Here's my test with a 3yo PC ( newest addition was a GTX770 in february and a new SSD over a year ago because the series was faulty, but otherwise the system as whole is as it was bought back then )

Test

Just showing what kind of weaker hardware a gaming laptop has even with state of the art hardware, i have spent the same amount of money you did btw. Of course there are benefits like less energy consumption, better structure ( nm ) etc. But in the end what goes in comes out powerwise. A workmate said himself..getting a laptop is compromising.

Someone with a newer gaming PC ( less that 1yo ) could post his results for comparison.

Edited by Enforcer

I have noticed over the last week that my FPS has dropped significantly. I'm using an Intel/ATI system and prior I was getting 30+ everywhere, higher out of town and a smidge lower in towns. I have also noticed that whilst I used to get a constant 99% GPU usage, my GPU is now running in peaks and troughs (avg 50-65%) in line with my FPS. Has there been a minor update that has caused this?

i don't know how much i will be of help but here goes:

people tend to confuse "laptops" with ROG laptops which is a totally different machine from a regular laptop

on so many ways that i don't even want to start on this matter.

even more, g750 is one of the fastest "mobile" machines today. if you want to call a 5kg system mobile.

- i have a G750 and i play with most quality setting enabled, at 1920x1080

more than fluid. :) with driver 335.23

- unfortunately, while you have a powerful graphic card (yes, you can't see/use the built in haswell card because it's hardware disabled)

dayZ in current state does not use more than 30% of your graphic card, but will stress the CPU at max.

this might change when the optimisation will start.

- things for you to check/consider:

1.poor CPU thermal dissipation.Use a CPU stress program and see if and for how long the CPU can maintain (if reachable)

it's 3400 turbo speed.if it cant maintain the turbo speed (1 hour is a good sign) it means that it reaches thermal throtling and

the CPU will "step down"

2. check if you have any of the "miracle" ASUS software for power management installed. if you do, uninstall it and rely on WIN8

power management system. set it to maximum performance and give it a shot.

good luck