Sign in to follow this  
sinnaman

How to discover/punish ghosting? (For server admins)

I was going to suggest that there could still be a punishment for rejoining the same server even after 30 minutes determined by cause for disconnection.

If client connection is terminated via "Session Lost" then they should be able to hop on back in.

If client connection is terminated by user then they should be unable to log in to that same server for at least 5 minutes.

However, while writing this I realised that they could very easily get around this by pulling the ethernet cable out and reinserting.

Times are tough if you bring a viable idea to the table and destroy it before you've even finished.

Not only that.. but would be a pain for me, I usually travel with at least one or two friends; and at least twice a day without fail something happens I need to attend to; which means informing my friends and getting a heads up on where they are heading, finding a safe spot for myself because god knows i can't walk away for even a minute without some god awful luck leading a zombie to me and coming back dead (happened twice.. not letting it happen a third time.), logging out - which I can do safely. Come back 5-10 minutes later, and rejoin the same server to play catch up, and I know I'm not the only one. 

Not only that.. but would be a pain for me, I usually travel with at least one or two friends; and at least twice a day without fail something happens I need to attend to; which means informing my friends and getting a heads up on where they are heading, finding a safe spot for myself because god knows i can't walk away for even a minute without some god awful luck leading a zombie to me and coming back dead (happened twice.. not letting it happen a third time.), logging out - which I can do safely. Come back 5-10 minutes later, and rejoin the same server to play catch up, and I know I'm not the only one. 

Well the idea is that is the price you pay for not having to deal with people who can easily ghost, surely?

Besides, if you are afk for 5-10 minutes, by the time you get back you would have already paid the 5 minute penalty.

They should just 1) add more spawn locations (so people won't camp the spawn points) and 2) save the player location on the server rather than on the global hive. Get rid of all of the horrible timers and "fix" ghosting/server hopping.

No you can't stop that other than making the initial change of server timer 10 minutes which would at least mitigate it somewhat. Also, most times I play Dayz I'm already on the same server as my friends so how many times would that happen anyway?

I like your idea, I do; it's not very intrusive in the end and doesn't force a penalty for taking a break and relogging into the same server when you want so long as you haven't ventured to another server.

It's functional, and there isn't anything wrong it; even easily implemented into the code I'm sure; in truth all good, aside from not stopping friends. But I think friend-calling is more of a threat than you imagine, more so than a current player logging to ghost you. 

As I mentioned earlier I usually have at least two people at almost any given time I can call and usually aren't to far off from me that either aren't online in DayZ at that moment or that we just don't run together much and I'm not even part of a group; can you imagine a DayZ groups teamspeak? The people that ghost you in those long drawn out battles are usually with organized players who have an entire teamspeak room to call on and direct to ghost if they really want to stoop that low.

Don't get me wrong, loners ghost too; but the most common has to be the longer battles and those are mostly people whom have an entire group backing that aren't all there when the firefight breaks out and sadly the only means to address that is something intrusive but IMO shouldn't be a GTFO out of our server timer.

Won't say it again after this as it'd just be ranting after this point if it isn't already and respectfully will just step out from this thread after this post unless I somehow end up convinced otherwise - but when controlled zones are released it seems the best bet to make that the method of disabling ghosting by having it so anytime you abandon a server for another one at any point - it causes you to spawn at a structure you or your group's made on the server, or if you have none automatically toss you to 'fresh spawn' points as by then they should have been redone to not be quite so predictable/camped.

Gratefully won't be much of an immersion killer, as it'd only happen if you've used Server A and decided to hop to server B .. and would happen again if rejoining Server A rather than just sticking to Server A all the time... but worse case your server's offline a while and you end up having to go to another server, starting at a fresh spawn location with all your gear intact and when your favorite server's finally up - you rejoin and end up at your home or groups built structure - or again at a fresh spawn location but no big harm done aside from having a decent hike to the next town; so long as the spawn locations are handled well.

Suppose in the end it doubles as a server-hopping hindrance and ghosting killer all in one. Just my opinion though, it's the only real solution I know that should put a complete stop on ghosting at least. Take everything I say lightly though; I'm dead tired and may have lapsed on important details; but seems reasonable enough in my head to be a functional solution that does little to no harm.

Edited by AzrailCross

I just gave the solution, did you read this thread?

lol Really? there is no solution, I play in a group all the time, If I die I relay my position and where I think the shots came from to help my buddies survive. In the first seconds after dying, I have ghosted, Im on TS with 5,6 8 other clan members and your trying to find a solution to ghosting? Have any of you ever played in clan matches? where comms wins or loses you a game, dead or alive you relay info to each other, Come on ppl get a grip, unless the definition of Ghosting has changed? You whined about server hoping and now thats fixed you looking for the next reason why you got killed!! You got killed because the other guy was a better shot, or worked better as part of a team, ghosting as part of a server hop to flank is irrelevant as most players move after combat,if you dont move, then your potentially a sitting duck for someone else in the vicinity.  

That won't prevent exploiting, it would rather lead to a point where serveradmins will abuse it and the reason it won't happen.

I feel you're degrading server admins to the position of all being prone to exploit such a system.

In case you haven't noticed, 60 euros is one of the cheapest rates to run a DayZ server, and BI has put very strict rules in place for these admins. To take away their right to protect their server inhabitants against cheating on the basis that it "will be exploited" is a stupid proposition imo. Any server where visiting players notice that the system is abused will inevitably not be frequented. I've been to several servers where admins exploit their positions, and I make the decision myself not to visit this server again. I'm sure the goal of most honest server admins is to have a popular server - am I right?

Therefore exploits of these kinds will inevitably lead to the server becoming unpopular. And anyone who doesn't want other players on their server will accomplish that one way or another.

• Like 1

Come on ppl get a grip, unless the definition of Ghosting has changed? Y

Aaah now your previous post makes sense. If you're thinking it's just comms then no that's not it at all. It's where your team start a fight with another team. after about 10 minutes you all get shot in the back and are wondering WTF????

Little did you know that half the opposing team logged out of the server, joined another server, moved to a position behind your lines then logged back into the server you are on and butchered your asses.

• Like 1

Aaah now your previous post makes sense. If you're thinking it's just comms then no that's not it at all. It's where your team start a fight with another team. after about 10 minutes you all get shot in the back and are wondering WTF????

Little did you know that half the opposing team logged out of the server, joined another server, moved to a position behind your lines then logged back into the server you are on and butchered your asses.

Ok it all makes more scene now, I never thought of that as Ghosting...But yes I agree that can be very annoying in game. Im not sure what the best solution is, Maybe if you shoot a weapon you physically cant log out of a server for 15mins, or your char stays in the server in such a position that approaching players would know you logged in the midst of combat.(Hand above your head) This could possibly help to reduce KoS knowing that there is a potential penalty for firing your gun! no more kill and log.  Who knows!!!

Ok it all makes more scene now, I never thought of that as Ghosting...But yes I agree that can be very annoying in game. Im not sure what the best solution is, Maybe if you shoot a weapon you physically cant log out of a server for 15mins, or your char stays in the server in such a position that approaching players would know you logged in the midst of combat.(Hand above your head) This could possibly help to reduce KoS knowing that there is a potential penalty for firing your gun! no more kill and log.  Who knows!!!

LOLI gave one possible solution, you can't rejoin a server for 30 minutes if you left it and joined another server.

I agree, but I sometimes prefer traveling long distances in low pop servers and then joing back my original server. It has nothing to do with ghosting.

That IS ghosting. The fact that your intention isn't to kill someone doesn't make it not ghosting.

You are leaving a server with the intention of using another server exclusively for transport (whether because it will hide your movement or make travel easier) and then coming back to the first.

People may not get up in arms about that as much but I still see it as the same thing. You are intentionally using another server to "teleport" you on the server of your choice.

• Like 1

In case you haven't noticed, 60 euros is one of the cheapest rates to run a DayZ server, and BI has put very strict rules in place for these admins. I'm sure the goal of most honest server admins is to have a popular server - am I right? :thumbsup:

Therefore exploits of these kinds will inevitably lead to the server becoming unpopular. And anyone who doesn't want other players on their server will accomplish that one way or another.

Hi, wow you are an admin and really care about BI rules? :o  (they don't even care as long as u pay) so u can't kick me for no reason? can't even kick me if I'll kill u? can't restart whole server any time u want or just lock it to save your character? what's your server details? I will play on it
P. S. 100% legit player

In case you haven't noticed, 60 euros is one of the cheapest rates to run a DayZ server, and BI has put very strict rules in place for these admins. I'm sure the goal of most honest server admins is to have a popular server - am I right? :thumbsup:

Hi, wow you are an admin and really care about BI rules? :o  (they don't even care as long as u pay) so u can't kick me for no reason? can't even kick me if I'll kill u? can't restart whole server any time u want or just lock it to save your character? what's your server details? I will play on it

P. S. 100% legit player

Of course I can kick anyone any tme I want, I can restart it any time I want. But I won't because I want people to join the server, find that it is somewhat 'stable' and 'legit', then return to the same server at a later time. 

Check my signature for the server details - you are very welcome. :)

Edited by Sinnaman
  • Like 1