Sign in to follow this  
Zeromi

If you use Xpadder

First things first - If you don't use a pad, just a mouse and keyboard, we've heard it 1000 times. Please just leave and close the door behind you, paying due care and attention to rules three and 9 of the forum. (which i'm sure I don't need to remind you of.....)

Now that I've gotten that out of the way:

I've put together a pretty fluid, intuitive control system using Xpadder. At the moment, it has made the game very playable and enjoyable, I just need some assistance in tweaking little bits and pieces here and there. 

So, if you have any knowledge on using the set selection feature or know how to make use of double tapping then please private message me.

I'm quite sure I'm a week or two away from a great, if not the definitive control pad layout for those of us who are just too set in our ways to put the pad down and learn to play with the mouse and keyboard. (Again ,we know.... we're happy to just play the game with the pad even at the 'disadvantage' it puts us at over M&KB - please accept this and just leave us to play the game as we see fit, as we do with you)

If you use xpadder but don't think you could be any help with the set selector etc, please let me know what your setup is and what works for you. 

If you're staff and want some info please do ask.

I'm working on two sets of controls. One using the standard wired xbox 360 controller and one that incorporates a three switch USB foot controller - It's a little extra cost but I think it will be worth it. It hasn't yet arrived so I haven't had time to try out my ideas for it yet.

TL;DR - I need help with Xpadder, PM me, bro

Edit: though i was going for a controller free setup originally, I haven't found a comfortable way to select hot bar items that feels natural. I'm going to have to make this a control pad and keyboard combo. the keyboard is literally just for selecting your hot bar items and everything else seems to be working fine. 

I had mis-read something about the scroll wheel for "previous" and "next", assuming it meant hot bar items when it actually meant to cycle options like "take, inspect, use" when looking at an item. So unfortunately I can't make a controller only setup that feels right. 

if anyone knows of a way to make the scroll wheel cycle hot bar items, please get in touch. I think this would have to be something incorporated by the dev team though and not something that will ever happen. 

Edited by Zeromi
  • Like 1

Xpadder? My only video with any views is a tutorial on using it.. seriously PM me if you come up with a control scheme that isn't crap like mine (I tried playing ArmA 2: OA like an FPS. I couldn't crouch-only prone and standing-or lean. The context menu was a little weird but I made it work)

I've got solutions for crouch and prone - I'll PM you some info. 

I've got a selector working for 8 of the hot bar slots which is limiting but not something i even consider a bad thing. i use the two empty slots to separate the buttons I use to select each item. after a while it became second nature. will explain in PM

as you are aware i use the set selector, i just assign the inventory to the 4 face, 4 d-pads, and back and start.  thinking of making the set selector button also use the key that shows the hotbar, just to tweak it abit

I have a really good setup for the mod, being able to use lean keys, all the standard stuff, then stuff like binoculars, fire mode, night vision, compass, all that stuff assigned aswell.  just the standalone uses more keys for the inventory so im still working on making a good setup

also, about a year ago someone made a post with their xpadder profile for the mod, showing what was used, and you could download the profile. it had just about everything, with holds, double taps, and everything else. dont know if it still exists now though

• Like 1

[insert comment on how using a joypad for dayz SA is the equivalent of getting a sex change to become a lesbian]

• Like 1

[insert comment on how using a joypad for dayz SA is the equivalent of getting a sex change to become a lesbian]

Epic truth post hurts. ;)

[insert comment about how I've been playing DayZ for two years with a controller and had fun all the way through]

• Like 1

again - I'll point you to rules 3 and 9

no need

Monolith - I'll pm you

Katana - well put 

mqdefault.jpg

None of you can handle the mans joke? Come on.. really? 

Let's all relax a little, yeah?

• Like 1

personal_trollface_hd.png

lol'd my ass off at this one haha.

however, this xpadder nonsense has my interests piqued. i have a kid that works for me who is now rocking a beast of a gaming pc that i built for him, but he is a console kiddie at heart and mouse/kb just wrecks his day. when i told him about xpadder, he nearly wet himself. however, i have no idea how it works or how to set it up, so if you guys come up with something that incorporates all of the relevant controls on an xbox controller, a setup walkthrough and maybe a config file would be most welcome.

• Like 1

Meatshield - Monolith and I are working on a new layout at the moment. 

Will post results and hopefully a download link for the xpadder profile sometime this weekend. 

Meatshield - Monolith and I are working on a new layout at the moment. 

Will post results and hopefully a download link for the xpadder profile sometime this weekend. 

Awesome, looking forward to this. Thanks.

Nearly there folks - could do with some volunteer testers.

If anyone would like a copy of the configuration file and a set of instructions, please let me know. 

though i was going for a controller free setup originally, I haven't found a comfortable way to select hot bar items that feels natural. I'm going to have to make this a control pad and keyboard combo. the keyboard is literally just for selecting your hot bar items and everything else seems to be working fine. 

I had mis-read something about the scroll wheel for "previous" and "next", assuming it meant hot bar items when it actually meant to cycle options like "take, inspect, use" when looking at an item. So unfortunately I can't make a controller only setup that feels right. To inlcude hotbar selection would just be forcing it and this is the most sensible thing to move over to the keyboard.

if anyone knows of a way to make the scroll wheel cycle hot bar items, please get in touch. I think this would have to be something incorporated by the dev team though and not something that will ever happen. 

For anyone who would like to test a Pad/Keyboard combo - please PM me and I'll send you the profile for Xpadder.

Expecting to post the final profile/config and a text file containing all the buttons/actions by the 15th of April if i get enough testers and feedback by then. 

Dissappointed that I can't make this keyboard free but the game mechanics just won't allow for it. 

Meatshield - hopefully this is good enough to get your friend back in the game, it's working fine for me 

Edited by Zeromi

Heres mine and i love it i only use the keyboard to change hotkeys. You'll need to make sure you go to "configure < controls < devices and disable its detection of the 360 controller and run only xpadder and this setup works perfect.

OOps  handg on i  uploaded the wrong one

Here is the correct one i meant to upload:

3.png

Edited by hi_plains_drifter

do you use hold function or double taps, Drifter?

Zeromi- PM me please. I think he can suffer with having to press number keys, and honestly I don't think he will care.

New to Xpadder. Can someone help me with right toggle assignments?

My problem is assigning 'look up' and 'look down.' When I assign a key inside DayZ for 'look up' and 'look down' it won't work inside DayZ (I tried M and K). The only thing I could get working is 'aim up' and 'aim down' and it jumps up with zero control in-game. Far too jumpy to use well.

If anyone could help me with this I would be grateful. Thanks!

I've PM'd you about the aiming issue, Weyland 

i use this  --> http://www.3dconnexion.com/  in arma3 to fly helicopters! it has a built-in joystick emulator! arma3 recognizes all 6 axis!

FOR DAYZ SA:  will this work with xpadder or just like in arma3 out of the box ?!?!?

having analog movement controls in dayz would be awesome!   6 axis on one hand^^  (would also unload my middlefinger a bit)

edit:

i d like to use the 6 axis axis this way

1 axis for forward and back

1 axis for goin prone, duck and normal

1 axis for strafing left and right

1 axis for turning left and right

1 axis for free look horizontally

1 axis for free look vertically

my 3dmouse also has 2 buttons

TAB for button 1

spacebar for button 2

i would only need the number buttons from the keyboard then.

DOES DAYZ SA SUPPORT ANALOG CONTROLLER INPUTS ?

Edited by brumey

i believe so, I'm not sure if it just accepts a diagonal as pressing A+W together?

Xpadder doesnt have a separate action for up+left. so it works to press it but it only works through combining two keys at once

I think my setup would work though. Once I stopped getting kicked off of every server.... I'll test it and post