Sign in to follow this  
joe_mcentire

inspect objects to perceive their quantity - subitizing of objects

short suggestion:

obscure the actual count of all objects that come in quantities unless you inspect them once! Only exception: objects with a quantity of smaller or equal to 4 (or 5) show their amount immediately in the inventory.

reason: subitizing 

"...refers to the rapid, accurate, and confident judgments of number performed for small numbers of items."

However: subitizing can be trained, which leaves even possibilities for a subtle "skill"-system

"The idea of instant recognition of quantities has been adopted by several pedagogical systems, such as Montessori, Cuisenaire and Dienes. However, these systems only partially use subitizing, attempting to make all quantities from 1 to 10 instantly recognizable. To achieve it, they code quantities by color and length of rods or bead strings representing them. Recognizing such visual or tactile representations and associating quantities with them involves different mental operations from subitizing."

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

"Wow what an original and unique suggestion!", L. B. Donovan

"That's kinda cool!", A. Calvin

"I couldn't give two more shits", some dude

mainly: giving more depth to the scavenging and surviving aspect. Although it's just a minor suggestion it would help guiding into that direction. The effort would be most likely very very low as well.

U can tell the quality of the item by looking at it on the ground. I'm getting pretty good at telling what state an item is in by just looking at it on the ground.

EDIT: LOL oh you said "quantity"  :blush:

Edited by Jexter

U can tell the quality of the item by looking at it on the ground. I'm getting pretty good at telling what state an item is in by just looking at it on the ground.

EDIT: LOL oh you said "quantity"  :blush:

ot: speaking of quality - bananas marked as "rotten", well irl i basically eat them in these condition ALL the time. just because they are a bit brown...

however: the idea is imo pretty simple and i think the implementation as well. would give more meaning to the "inspect" feature and you could also expand on the "inspect" feature as well: find certain immediately hidden infos by using "inspect" like the true amount of items you have..

Edited by joe_mcentire

ot: speaking of quality - bananas marked as "rotten", well irl i basically eat them in these condition ALL the time. just because they are a bit brown...

however: the idea is imo pretty simple and i think the implementation as well. would give more meaning to the "inspect" feature and you could also expand on the "inspect" feature as well: find certain immediately hidden infos by using "inspect" like the true amount of items you have..

Actually you're right, the banana's in game that are "rotten" are nowhere near rotten and everyone eats them like that. They need to make them look rotten, not a few days old and perfectly ok.

" a good suggestion"

- Tim L.  from Lynchburg,VA