Sign in to follow this  
Zeppa

Speculation about "coming" loot system(s)?

Or... you could just make those parts small enough to move them from server to server via backpack or while holding them.

Or... you could just make those parts small enough to move them from server to server via backpack or while holding them.

Yes, because you can fit an entire rotor assembly in your back pack. No.... even if that did happen there's still the problem of server hopping. Why the hell would the developers encourage server hopping.... that is just retarded and will ruin the game.

So there is supposed to be loot spawning across all the servers, with all Public servers acting as one big loot table together.... so what happens when your helicopter or other vehicle needs a part.... but that part isn't even on that server and wont spawn there for a very long time? You're screwed, unless you can bring your vehicles with you when you switch servers, which would be pretty cool. I honestly think this new loot table idea is extremely stupid, no offense to the author of it. 

I can already foresee servers lying about their loot, and server hoppers amassing even more than before. "Let's hop servers in this one military place because one of the servers will have something good that no others will."  It will become a nightmare. Want to have a chance at finding a rare weapon? Too bad! The people who have it are untraceable and may even go offline for extended periods of time. 

First of all I highly doubt they'll let cross server vehicles. More than likely vehicles will be persistent to the server. As for the looting...yea they are still working on it and balancing it out. I'm not sure how they are going to do it, but I'm sure they'll find a way to solve it.

... unless you can bring your vehicles with you when you switch servers, which would be pretty cool

How would that be cool?

I agree, the encouragement of server hopping just to get vehicle parts is silly. But it's nothing inherent to the loot management system itself, it's just their approach in applying it. They can have the loot management system be applied at a micro level (i.e. the server) or at a macro level (i.e. the hive). Those are different approaches with the same concept (i.e. regulated loot).

Now, if we were playing all together on one server (or if a server = a hive) then it would be different. Like a traditional MMO, which has a large amount of players playing on a single server-hive hybrid. Whereas now, the hives are divvied up between a bunch of different servers (owing to the traditional FPS-style server structure). 

Edited by Katana67

If you won't be able to move certain parts between servers it should be reasonable to have all parts needed on the same server - now you have to find and somehow get them to one place. With this it makes sense to have ultra-rare parts small enough to fit a backpack or at least being carryable by hand (is it possible to transport tents between servers this way?). For larger parts the issue of transportation has to be solved anyways so in the end you might need a car before you can even think about getting a helicopter,

Server hopping won't be solved by disallowing switching - and there are other options - see the topic in the "Suggestions" subforum.

A distantly related topic here is loot respawn rate depending on server population. So empty servers will only spawn loot if under a certain minimum threshold (to avoid having new servers with no loot at all and thus never populating), low population servers got a lower spawn rate and high population servers got a higher spawn rate (to make to speed of gearing up less dependent on server population).

On a single server its probably the best to have gear spawn in areas with a lower player density. This way zones of high activity will slowly run out of supplies (if not sustained from the outside) and people would need to migrate or compete to get resources. This would either lead to a shift of high activity areas as the herd moves on or in some kind of "import economy" where hotspots would be supplied by players bringing new supplies from elsewhere.

What is even worse is, when you assembled a car on a server that somehow loses its famed status and is deserted. HF driving your vehicle on a dead server.

• Like 1

It wouldn't be server hopping per say, because you would actually have to spend time on that server to find the item you're looking for. You wouldn't just hop from server to server in hopes of finding that item instantly like it is now.

With persistence, refreshing of loot on server restart is gone so server hopping from AF to AF(or whatever area) is pointless anyway. It will take a bit more effort to find what you're looking for, if that item is indeed rare the effort to find it would be well worth putting in the time to find that cherished item.

I wont be bothering with any server specific items...

Even the BI official servers before persistence started crashing them more often than not were not able to connect to the main hive....

Private shard admins will certainly shut down servers with little warning or wipe them.

Everytime I see an Alfie life video I just see people wrecking cars and killing each other left and right....do u really wanna spend a ton of time to get a car working to then just die running into a pole ?

Imma just camp gas stations and wait for cars to come and blow them up.

Not even sure if clans will move to private shards...I mean clans like to compete with other clans right ?

A clan server on a private shard is just a bunch of guys killing randoms...if you have a large group who plays regularly you will obviously face little threat...whereas central hive clan servers would allow for wars...

Connected private hives will allow cross server wars as well, on a much more controlled basis. Meaning, if you have many well managed private hives that are connected it will benefit everyone who plays on them.

I really really hate these: "I'm a psychic and I can foresee problems with systems that haven't been implemented." threads.

Everyone is apparently a software developer with psychic abilities that probably solves crimes in his off hours, if these kind of threads are to be taken seriously.

• Like 4

It would be pretty cool if you could look up on the dayz site for an item and then try and hunt it down.

If they did this with their centralized loot system, it would force clans to move out of their safe zone server and kinda "assault" another clan's base.

Would make for some pretty interesting times and add a kinda meta game to it.

• Like 1

Think of it this way.

The whole loot system will be on one big system.

This system will state how many of a certain item can spawn.

so, lets just say only 3 Heli Rotors can spawn in the whole entity of dayz.

That means out of all the servers connected to the main hive, 3 heli rotors will spawn, whatever server gets lucky enough to get that spawn will be the spot where it sits.

Now with the persistence and degradation system, if this rotor sits on a server for a long period of time, it will eventually despawn and the Central System will say, oh look 2/3 rotors are spawned in the world, lets spawn another on (insert random server here)

This also raises some questions however, such as: What if Player A gets a Awesome .50 BMG Gattling gun, the only one in the game, and then never plays the game again?

I see a few solutions

1. The High-Value weapons degrade, or possible need to be assembled. meaning eventually you will loose it (I think this sucks because that means you will only have X amount of time until its gone)

2. After a certain period of time with the weapon not in the spawn tables or on a active character, the weapon will spawn again. (which could lead to flooding of weapons, but at a painfully slow rate.)

Dude just find a shotgun or just a gun,go kill a geared guy and BOOM! Less stress and fast gear up.

How about posting a link to the details of this proposed loot system?

Otherwise I think you are attacking a straw man.

Do a little search yourself you will see its widely and very publicly known that this is the system they intend implimenting( althouggh anything can change) hell there has been several videos of rocket talking about how he thinks it will be great.. Just cause your ill informed you dont need to be spoon fed.

As for the loot system i have misgivings of it yeah but guess what ill wait till it actually starts to get tested then ill say its bad or its great on how i actually feel it is rather than guessing its bad or good before we have even seen it.

• Like 1

-snip-

A couple other questions that I think need to be answered are:

How will private hives handle these item limitations and how will they combat hackers spawning in the items?

• Like 1

Yeah the idea of hopping servers for parts is extremely dumb, and I hope they change their mind about it.  I'd rather see focus on encouraging players to stay on one server, not the opposite.

why ?

you don't like the idea of fighting strangers for parts ?

or are you afraid the bad admins will illegally kick other players off their public hive servers ?

what is this conservative parochialism and xenophobia in DayZ ?

for a long time we heard  "private hives will solve all this, give us private shards "  then we were promised PRIVATE SHARDS for those who wanted them

and now it's " we don't want strangers on our server anyway, we want to stay in the public hive but with NO STRANGERS "

Edited by pilgrim

A couple other questions that I think need to be answered are:

How will private hives handle these item limitations and how will they combat hackers spawning in the items?

The private shard/hive question is a burning one for me . How will it be handled with private shards with say 4 servers linked to it? will they get everything in the economy because if they dont then your screwed because you cant search other servers with characters from this private shard.

Also though if they do have everything in the economy will this not push more people into private shards as it will be easier searching 4 servers rather than dozens of servers.

Hense why i say i have misgivings of the system but cant say its good or bad till i see how it actually works.

Hadnt even thought about duping but that will be a vital question in what is ment to be a controlled economy..

They want to people to trade parts, not serverhop. Of course, best intentions lead to worst consequences. Look at politics. Universal healthcare, yet it will become a burden to people, will become more costly and inefficient.

I completely agree. Why do they encourage server hopping? They should be encouraging players to find a server and stick with it. 

id say we wait and see ?

how about Patience ?

no ?

saying a System is STUPID , RETARDED ...whatever have you..before you tried it or see how it works out is indeed just that...

• Like 1

Like my pristine white leather nightclub shoes i found in Svetlo..i have never been so afraid of bumping into someone as i am at the moment.

Hey there, you see .. is that real Italian leather ? ..  Mr Corleone and the Boys would sure like to take a look at those shoes .. where you hangin' out ?

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

Rocket wants people roaming around different servers, he's gone almost as far as suggesting he wants to encourage server hopping to keep the servers equally populated.

The central loot system, if done properly will be excellent. Hopefully the items will be so rare, actually finding someone who holds such an advantage will be minimal.

It'll also affects vehicles, he's already said there wont be enough parts on any one server to get a vehicle working. So you'll HAVE to move around different servers to collect all the parts together. The goal is to create waves of rumours and tales of servers spawning different loots or actually having a working vehicle which in turn will draw a crowd of people trying to steal/destroy it to recover the parts for their own server. 

This targeted aggression towards an individual of group will make sure vehicles are never abused blatantly, no more low-riding through towns drawing attention to yourselves! 

My only concern is the cheaters, they have access to some pretty trick stuff, the most abusive being the 3d item radars, one run through a town or base and not only have you identified every player and item worth taking, but gives you distinct advantage in looting and finding peoples stashes especially once you've been 

BE is doing a good job, despite what you think, you just need to look at the detection reports on all "these" forums to see that. But bans seem to be delayed 24-48hrs and the amount of damage that can be done in that time is huge. Some cheater wont think anything of pumping daddies CC into steam to if he can guarantee to find himself some super rare loot, vehicle, your tent or someone carrying something rare.

What we really need to do, is replicate a system that rewards your chance of finding these rare items the longer you've been playing, so a new account has zero chance of finding one, while a account thats 50hr+ old has the full chance of finding one.

EDIT: Another issue is, what happens when Bob finds his SVD, logs off and gets insta-gibbed by a bus on his way to work? will him carrying that SVD in the DB eat into the allocation of all SVD's that will spawn globally, because it wont be long before all these globally managed guns are eaten up by dormant accounts.

Edited by foxdie_01

Hey there, you see .. is that real Italian leather ? ..  Mr Corleone and the Boys would sure like to take a look at those shoes .. where you hangin' out ?

Off course, who wears cheap imitations ? Not i sir.

2nkjexd.jpg

Unfortunately he died quite so me time back, but at least he went out lookin' good.

• Like 2