BadContrakt

DayZ Autorun Tutorial

Heyo,

I have always hated that fact that Arma 2 DayZ mod never had a "toggle run" key bind, and I never did anything about it. But when the standalone came out and I started logging lots of hours into THAT too. I was like... Ok it's time to figure something out. So I started looking into some ways to making your character run with only one press of a button, so that you can take both hands off the keyboard and mouse and relax.

This will be a Logitech tutorial - If you're not a Logitech customer, fear not! This guide will help you with any program that does keystroke commands because all of the programs are similar in nature. The bottom of the guide will also have good known working programs listed for all people, whether you game with a 150 dollar mouse or a keyboard you stole from the school library.

There are a few ways of achieving an auto run toggle, macro, key bind, etc (without wedging a quarter in your keyboard, balancing a glass of beer on the W key, or modding game files).

Battleye will not peg you for having mods or for cheating or anything of the sort.

Logitech

Logitech has some great software for their headsets, mice, and keyboards. It's called "Logitech Gaming Software" and is currently free for all Logitech customers, and as a matter of fact, for some devices to even FUNCTION, you MUST have it. This one piece of software controls all of their accessories (I would know, I have Logitech EVERYTHING!)

Now in this software you can bind the special "G" keys to whatever you like, pretty much. You can bind it to open your email, to mute your mic, or even... to auto run!

This is how it's achieved, whether using a keyboard, mouse, or you can even use your headset if you like (as long as your headset has some "G" keys on it)

I use my mouse, so that's what I will use for the example.

1. Your Logitech Software must be set to "Automatic Game Detection" mode. Once done, you can create a new profile and route the profile to your DayZ.exe.

2. Go to the customize buttons tab and choose whichever button on your mouse that you think would be best to your liking. I am using the G700 mouse and have my auto run bound to G5.

3. Once chosen, make the button a "Multi Key"

4. You may name it as you wish. Now for the actual key itself I use the "Y" key because as far as I'm aware this key is not bound to anything in DayZ Standalone. You may use whichever key you like but this is what I use.

5. Before recording any button, make sure the "Record delays between events" is UNCHECKED and "Display command name on the GamePanel display" is unchecked as well.

6. Go to the button below the large center box titled "Start Recording" and just simply hit the "Y" key once, then press "Stop Recording" Now the G5 key will type a "Y" whenever I hit it. We're not done yet.

7. Now here is where you need to pay attention... In the "Keystrokes" center large black box there will be an arrow down with a "Y" next to it, and an arrow up with a "Y" next to it. Right click the BOTTOM ARROW THAT IS POINTING UP and click "Insert Delay"

8. Now there will be a delay in between the time the program clicks "Y" and releases "Y"

9. Right click this delay and click "Edit"

10. Type in 0025 (zero zero two five) and hit enter. This is the safest delay I have found. I have made it a lower delay like 0001 and it will bug the program out. 0.025 delay is PLENTY fast and you will not need to go lower anyway.

Now your keystrokes are done, and we're close to wrapping it up.

11. Down at the bottom there is a box called "Repeat Options" and make sure this is set to "Toggle" and set the "Delay (milliseconds)" to 0 (zero) and be sure to hit OK to save all of your changes.

12. Now you have a functioning auto run command bound to your keyboard, mouse, or even headset and the last step you have to do is launch DayZ, go to configure, and do not CHANGE the fast run key bind, but add a "Y" to it. This way you will still be able to run and fast run normally with W but when you need to use your auto run it's there on a different key bind and they are independent from one another.

*NOTE* *IMPORTANT* The software was giving me a LOT of trouble early on when I was figuring out the auto run keystroke and it was randomly turning off in the middle of running! IT WILL DO THIS TO YOU TOO unless you go to the top of the Logitech Gaming Software, right click your DayZ profile, click properties, and CHECK THE BOX "Lock profile while game is running" - Fixed - you will never stop auto running unless the button is toggled off by you.

I know there are other programs out there that can do this with any keyboard or any mouse but I was having a bit of trouble finding a good one that's easy to understand. If you do not have Logitech, I think Razer has a program sort of like the G-Series Gaming Software (according to a dude at Best Buy) and this whole tutorial should actually help Razer customers out a lot too. I can't imagine that it would be a whole lot different on Razer Software.

Now if you have a 15 dollar mouse and a 7 dollar keyboard, I cannot help you a whole lot. I know for a FACT you can get a program out there that will achieve the same sort of thing but you just need to find it, and follow this tutorial for some guidelines, again, all software will be different but just seeing how I do it on Logitech may help you with another keystroke program.

Please, if there are any other good programs out there that allow the average guy to easily make an auto run keystroke, post them on here and I'll add them in to the thread! Until we get an auto run key bind in the game options, we'll all have to do it something like this.

Edited by BadContrakt
  • Like 1

or you could just wedge a piece of paper or a pen cap to your W key

• Like 7

I will go with a sore finger.. that works fine. ;)

Haha the thread is titled "Auto Run Tutorial"

I don't see why someone who's not interested would even click on the thread.

I will go with a sore finger.. that works fine. ;)

• Like 2

or you could just wedge a piece of paper or a pen cap to your W key

"without wedging a quarter in your keyboard, balancing a glass of beer on the W key, or modding game files."

Edited by BadContrakt

Haha the thread is titled "Auto Run Tutorial"

I don't see why someone who's not interested would even click on the thread.

You didn't think to consider maybe I was until I actually read what you had in mind? ;)

..maybe don't be so defensive also. Its just a post.

Edited by lrish

You didn't think to consider maybe I was until I actually read what you had in mind? ;)

..maybe don't be so defensive also. Its just a post.

My pops always taught me to work smarter not harder.

So I figured taking a little time to figure out how to auto run would be way worth my time. Besides my keyboard is pretty tough to press the keys. I miss my laptop keyboard where the keys basically type under the weight of gravity haha!

Maybe I'm just a big World of Warcraft baby or something. Autorun has always been a major part of my gaming career and with a game like the STANDALONE where walking is 95% of what you do... I couldn't deal with it!

• Like 1

My pops always taught me to work smarter not harder.

So I figured taking a little time to figure out how to auto run would be way worth my time. Besides my keyboard is pretty tough to press the keys. I miss my laptop keyboard where the keys basically type under the weight of gravity haha!

Maybe I'm just a big World of Warcraft baby or something. Autorun has always been a major part of my gaming career and with a game like the STANDALONE where walking is 95% of what you do... I couldn't deal with it!

Yeah, autorun does not really have a place for serious players in Dayz imo. 

It takes me 10 mins to run most places in game, so its not really necessary in my opinion. 

Best of luck! :)

autorun does not really have a place for serious players in Dayz imo.

Hahaha!

I use auto run everywhere I go. I barely use my "W" key anymore to be quite honest. I hit "G5" on my mouse for even 10 meter runs.

You make it sound like when you turn auto run on the screen goes black and you walk away from your computer with a red flag on your character saying "SHOOT ME!"

It's not like that. Auto running puts you in no more danger than pressing and holding "W" does.

I press and release "G5" to run, and press and release "G5" to stop running.

I press and hold "W" to run, and release the hold on "W" to stop running.

The only way I can see auto running being a danger in combat situations or even a travelling scenario is if you're not good at multitasking or simple hand coordination, and let's face it, every gamer multitasks well. Especially if they would consider them self a "serious" gamer.

• Like 1

I just found uses for the one of the 18 G keys I have.

I'm very glad I could help lol.

Try using your other G keys as well. For stuff like equipping your weapon (I keep my main weapon on 5) so bind it to 5. Bind one to map. The possibilities are endless.

Edited by BadContrakt

I have a picture of a guy running, I hold W, Press that button. Bam. Autorun.

I have a picture of a guy running, I hold W, Press that button. Bam. Autorun.

Not sure if he's confused...

Or if I am...

Not sure if he's confused...

Or if I am...

Wrote that horribly.. I apologise. My keyboard has an Autorun button, It's a picture of a guy running, If I hit it while jogging/sprinting, It locks the key down.

Basically a Pre-set macro, Quiet a few keyboards have them nowadays.

Wrote that horribly.. I apologise. My keyboard has an Autorun button, It's a picture of a guy running, If I hit it while jogging/sprinting, It locks the key down.

Basically a Pre-set macro, Quiet a few keyboards have them nowadays,

Oh wow that is a seriously cool feature. I've never even heard of it. I'm surprised I've never heard of it. What keyboard is that!?

I've used auto run since my first day. I'm not fucking up my wrist/finger/thumb/pecker so I can be in the "cool" DayZ club of people who think holding W all day makes it more immersive.

• Like 3

Oh wow that is a seriously cool feature. I've never even heard of it. I'm surprised I've never heard of it. What keyboard is that!?

Microsoft Sidewinder.

I hope a stamina system is added and this auto run just leads to people dying from passing out and overworking their heart :)

• Like 2

I hope a stamina system is added and this auto run just leads to people dying from passing out and overworking their heart :)

Lol well... auto run or not I'm still going to run where I want.

Auto running just makes it easier. Null point.

Hey digging up an old thread but I'm trying to set this up on my logitech G500 and it can't seem to detect where I installed DayZ.exe for the profile part. I can't even find a dayz folder or my Arma 3, or anything that says Bohemia interactive.

I can play these games though, but the files just don't appear anywhere in any of my pc folders.

I start the games from the desktop icons.

Hey digging up an old thread but I'm trying to set this up on my logitech G500 and it can't seem to detect where I installed DayZ.exe for the profile part. I can't even find a dayz folder or my Arma 3, or anything that says Bohemia interactive.

I can play these games though, but the files just don't appear anywhere in any of my pc folders.

Ok so now I found my dayz folder through the steam app itself program files 86 > steam > steam apps > dayz > and I see the Exe file but when I try to manually import it to the logitech list of games it says that the file is invalid,

if you got it from steam your exe should be located in (Windows 7 PC)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ

by default unless your one of those cool folks who install games to a seperate drive/SSD/etc 

Ok so now I found my dayz folder through the steam app itself program files 86 > steam > steam apps > dayz > and I see the Exe file but when I try to manually import it to the logitech list of games it says that the file is invalid,

Ok nvm, I think I got it by just binding it to a different profile. Don't know why I keep figuring this stuff out 5 seconds after I post a question.

Lol well... auto run or not I'm still going to run where I want.

Auto running just makes it easier. Null point.

There are trucks everywhere, who even runs nowadays? Edited by zanbato
  • Like 2