Sign in to follow this  
drakeducaine

New Player Having A Hard Time

I really want to like this game, but I'm just not. I bought the standalone version last night and have played probably 3-5 hours so far. The fighting mechanic lacks...A lot. A zombie had his back turned to me standing 10 feet in front of me and was still able to hit me. My map doesn't load up. I've only found 2 weapons the whole time. Mostly it's just running around searching empty houses. Am I doing it wrong, not in the right area, need to run with a group? I'd really like to enjoy this game since there was no demo for me to try out before I bought, but right now I'm not having that much fun. Maybe some veterans can point me in the right direction? :) Thanks!

I stand under correction, but I think you have to find map pieces before your map actually works.

The rest is typically explained by the ALPHA status of the game and the devs are working on the fixes ... I guess you either need to learn to stick with it and deal with the current issues or wait until the release gets more stable.

There was a notification before you bought the game that this was an Early Access Alpha ... sorry.

No I get that, the combat is understandable, albeit as frustrating as it is. 

However, I was looking more-so for tips on the rest of it. Where to find basic items like water, food, weapons, etc. I've not come across any food or water while playing and only 2 melee weapons. Just trying to get more going instead of searching empty houses. xD

I'd really like to enjoy this game since there was no demo for me to try out before I bought, but right now I'm not having that much fun.

Are you implying that you were somehow duped into purchasing DayZ? There are literally 1000's of hours of youtube videos depicting the gameplay of the SA alpha and the mod before it.  You sound really really whiny, but I suppose that is the plight of the ignorant uneducated consumer.   My best advice to you, after you spawn in game - go ahead and take your pants off and save a bandit the trouble, then press F2 pick a direction and get to runnin.

First take off your t-shirt and tear it up to make 2 rags. You need these as bandages when a zombie hit starts you bleeding.

To survive zombies you need a fireaxe or a pitchfork (maybe an ordinary axe is ok too) - dont bother trying to punch or using other weapons (like kitchen knives). To kill zombs safely just KEEP moving round them, as close as you can - forward key and mouse all the time, don't ever stop doing that, do NOT stop moving and turning and keep on hitting them. If 2 show up, do the same, stay close and ALWAYS move and hit. Then (very usually) they cant/wont hit you and you can kill them without injury to you. If you bleed, kill them first, then bandage if there are no other's around. Always fight them in open spaces, inside houses they go through the walls constantly and take you by surprise.

If you are not moving, or if a zombie is chasing you in a straight line from directly behind - they can hit you from quite a distance away... So:

To get away from zombies, it takes a second to put away whatever you are holding in your hands, then double tap your forward key to run like F. They will follow you a long way, but eventually fall behind. Try running diagonally up and across steep slopes (to keep your top speed), double back past the zombs a couple of times, then when you have some height, run down the slope (zigzag to keep your speed) often the zombs trying to follow will fall down the slope and kill themselves, if not, do it again.. you can get rid of several this way.

As soon as you hear a zomb shout/howl anywhere, decide if you are going to fight or run (because its coming to get you), you only have a short time to decide. Put your weapon away and FAST RUN, or get a clear outdoor space where you can fight them. Remember you have to have the weapon held HIGH to hit them.

Once you can deal with zombies, you have a chance to look for other loot... food first, (you can open cans with your axe or a knife, or screwdriver as well as a can opener - also some foods don't need opening) you can drink at wells or at natural ground water outside the towns (you have to find out where these are) If you stay on the coast in the obvious places, then of course a load of players have already been through there and taken everything they can find. So you need to go further afield.

The ingame map doesn't not work at all untill you find one of the loot maps in game and have it in your hot bar.

For a general idea of where you are, to know the map a little, and know (more or less) what stuff spawns where - look at

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus#5.021.115

A lot of players think it is unfair to use this map, but it gives you a first idea of where the towns are, and what you are likely to find there, and the lakes and wells. It's not an easy game to start - just expect to get killed a LOT in the first few trials.. bit by bit you work out what to do and what to avoid - that's pretty fun in itself.. better than having a friend show you everything, in my opinion (but that's cool too, if you know someone or you meet up with a friendly player).

If you see anyone, just shout - "Please Help Me!" "I'm a Beginner!" - they will either help you, or shoot you.

This game is a LOT of fun, I SWEAR, you just have to take it the right way.. it's not a game that helps you out much, it's more a game that just kills you unexpectedly. Stick with it, in fact there's no other game like it. Enjoy.

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2

what pilgrim said.  Thanks for actually taking the time to answer the guys questions and not just trying to trash talk him.

Dayz has a reasonably steep learning curve to it. If you want to play a more polished version to learn the basics you could try the dayz mod.

otherwise you'll soon learn which buildings never spawn anything good at the moment.

two storey house with piano is good for food and weapons.

house with boards and blue trim on the front and stone at the back is good for food and water in the front room.

red house with a recessed arch with a door way in it is good for food.

and if you cant find anything at all, head inland. the coast is always scavenged. 

servers usually reset every 2-4 hrs atm. so try and get on a server as it resets if you can. And try low population servers while you work out the basics. High pop are more fun once you get the hang of it.

just keep trying, I've never played the mod and have over 200hrs in the standalone. It'll come to you as well.

• Like 2

Maybe try low population server for now.the buildings on the coast may not be all looted then.The reason your not finding anything is because it all has been looted by others and the server has not restarted.Most servers restart every four hours,but low Pop servers IMO are your best bet until getting the hang of things.Try only looting the richer looking houses in that are in brick,or the large country estate mansions with the large bay windows.Hospitals and police stations are good sources for food,clothes and weapons and of coarse the military bases and airfields for military style gear but be careful as the bases are hot zones and you can be killed very easily around them.

If you find map pieces(and you do need to find a map in this game,as you do not just start with a map),

drag the map from inventory onto your tool bar at the bottom while your in game GUI Inventory interface is turned on by hitting TAB.

Once the map piece is on your tool bar then you need only to hit whatever number key the map piece is on to draw the map out like a weapon

I usually have my compass on my tool bar with my map pieces,canteen and of coarse all my weapons ;)

Try and find a backpack,and more clothes that have ...more pockets as your going to need them to fill with food,pop and water....

Once stocked up a bit then head North....and keep going North and don't look back as the caost is always looted do to everyone spawning on the coast.Up North looting is a lot easier,loots a plenty and IMO the loot gets better with compasses and other things being easier to find.More rice and cereal etc.

Less people,less Zeds and more loot makes the North of the map rather nice compared to the spawn ,Bandit and KoS ravaged South ;)

I usually go East up the coast,rather than going to Electro and I hit Berizino then Svetlojark.From there I head inward on the map always pushing North and or North West.Right now there is a town just West of Svetlo that is a new town from the last patch and ....... it does not have any Zeds around town so is easy pickns' for looting ,if by chance you make it that far to this new town you could head do South from that new town and you will hit the NE Airfield to grab some military gear/weapons and more food,the airfield is right beside Krasnostav.From there head West for the NWAF for even more and better military style gear,Just South of the NWAF is a Military base you could also raid.

I usually stay up North with only occassionally visiting the South after that ;)

Here is an out of game online map to study that shows loot spawns that may help checking out before going in game>
http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus#2.144.070

Keep at it,once you catch on to which houses/buildings supply loot you'lle do better and especially if you start playing low population servers until getting a bit better at the game.

If doors are open it is usually a sighn the place has been looted already,I take that as a danger sighn as someone may still be around looting and could be armed and dangerous!

I usually carry one pristine pair of cargo pants folded up in my backpack,with the cargo pants pockets with a bottle of water,couple cans of beans ,bandages and a can opener inside.If I come across someone startving and thirsty and maybe needing a change of pants I will drop the cargo pants on the ground for them,I also usually have more guns and ammo than I really need and can sometimes help out someone getting them armed a bit with a pistol or sawed off shotgun

I'm on Pacific time zone,usually on very early in the morning or onin the evenings

if you like shoot me a PM ,I could meet you somewhere and give you some extra loot I've been carrying around to get you started.

I'll meet you somewhere and help you out if you want in either Regular or Harcore as I play each and both Characters right now are around the NEAF so could meet in Berizino or something

I see your online now as you posted just an hour ago,if you like I would meet you somewhere today and help you out a bit

just send me a Pm so we can coordinate where to meet ,that is if you want to...up to you!

Just keep at it,the game does get easier to survive :)

Edit>As Pilgrim mentions.a Fireaxe is a must have item,we posted somewhat same time as each other  :)

Edited by Scott61
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the help! Lots to read and I'm pushing close to 24 hours of being up. Will definitely come back when I awake, maybe join up with a few of you and get my bearings in this game. :) Right now I just don't know what I'm doing so it's not fun, as with any game or anything in life. But I do thanks to you guys' help. Thanks again!

Wow, kudos to you guys for taking the time to actually answer the OP instead of screaming alpha. To the OP, be careful out in the world because not everyone is friendly. Avoid running in open areas if at all possible, even the bushes can provide a bit of cover but not against bullets. Always scope out an area you are heading into, especially the military barracks and police stations. If you find yourself at a multistory building with windows, stay low and look inside to see if there is loot spawned in but be careful because people will hide in a looted house but close the doors to make it appear unlooted.

I do hope you can enjoy Dayz, it can be frustrating with some bugs/glitches. Just as long as you keep in mind that zeds can be a dangerous annoyance until you have an axe or means to dispatch them and not every player you meet is going to have the best of intentions for you or your acquired gear. That being said have fun and play the game your way, there is no wrong way to do it whether you prefer player interaction or you would rather shoot anyone you perceive to be a threat.