Starbridge

Perks/skills/professions/stats

i like the idea of professions, but i don't think killing a zombie will help you become a better runner, or increase your ability to go without food, maybe the longer you survive, the fitter you get, but i disagree with stats and xp

I personally don't like the idea too much, I think you should carry things around that show you how to do stuff (like Haynes manuals), but nothing like -15% that or add 10% this. Would ruin the realism for me and make it less of what DayZ is really about IMO

Edited by falcon1439

if you wanna improve your shooting skill, find a better grip and attach it to your m4a1 - this is how it supposed to be in DayZ style

no skills. no perks. no advantages. 

Yeah no thanks to the skills either for this very reason and I will quote myself from a previous post.  " Just look at War(Fail)Z where people can get a full 30rnd mag emptied into their head and they still live because of the perks they unlocked (extra hp, armor, damage reduction and etc...).  No thank you!  The best part about DayZ with the way it is now is the fact that even if you are geared up you can still get killed by a noob if they are skilled or lucky enough to get the drop on you or if you are just plain stupid.  YOUR skill should always be a determining factor whether you live or die in this game, not some numbers and howmany points you spend into some skill tree."

For make it simple... I'm not agree with a exp points and leveling system, but...

I think it would be nice to have some system that reward people who smartly survive for a long time (as this is the goal of the game) and make you lose more than just your gear when you die.

Ever other game has skill points that is what makes dayz unique.. there is a load of info on this already.. NO SKILLS ..u learn skills through experience yourself in  game ^_^

As for professions I dare say as close to that as you can get is maybe different out fits like a business suit, priest out fit or fuel station attendent but the rest is up to you and if you want to role play or not

I think that you shouldn't get any magical skill points that you spend, but your dude gets better at stuff when they actually do it. If you use guns a lot you're better at handling guns however if you use a specific gun a lot  you are better at handling that specific gun, or the more you run the better you run etc.

So I had an idea in another thread, would you like to see character classes in the game?

Presumably your character is a soldier or something, nobody just knows how to handle all the guns in the game or use medical supplies effectively so let's just say it's confirmed that that's the story or your character.

In the army everyone has basic training in all fields and others advanced in specific.

So I think it would be cool to have classes like medic, infantry, scavenger, scout, survivor and some standard balanced type.

Medics can use backpacks more effectively to store medical supplies and can use them quicker as well as maybe get more use out of them, perhaps have more health/recover it faster too.

Infantryman is basically the same but with ammo, they're also a more adept with non sniper firearms they are the weapon master essentially, they can take more damage than medics but don't recover as fast.

Scouts have a standard gear capacity but can hold their breath longer while sniping, can use snipers slightly better, can possibly make camouflage like those kind of tent things snipers use and/or have better senses so you can hear people from further away and louder plus can zoom in further with the naked eye, also make less noise. With all their buffs though they're less skilled with anything that isn't a sniper or pistol.

Scavengers are the same as medics and infantryman but they can store more food and drink plus maybe more items in general, their strength is how much of everything they can carry but otherwise they hold no benefits except some unique crafting recipes.

Survivor, survivors last longer without food/drink, have access to many makeshift crafting recipes and are more effective with melee weapons than the other classes. After many sleepless nights maybe they see better in the dark too.

Balanced is just standard, not exceptional in any field, not weak in any either. For people who consider the buffs of other classes to be "cheating" or consider themselves more "hardcore" for going basic.

Obviously a bit more too each class than that would be necessary but you get the idea.

I think that would be awesome.

It's cool currently how everyone is in the same boat as you but a nice bit of variety like that would go a long way and it would make groups more efficient.

Lone wolfs could be a Scout and be better at avoiding people too.

Yay or nay? To be honest I think things like this really need to be added to keep it fresh.

• Like 1

works in breaking point.

would allow people to quickly identify bandits or survivors.

Each should have benefits and penalties.

• Like 1

i dotn want to see anything limiting in dayz. if you want to be some kind of specific cl;ass, then play that way and use that equipment when you find it

• Like 3

what would be interesting to see is players "getting used" to certain skills.

Say you do a lot of medical stuff, after a large number of bandages in a single life, you get significantly faster and better.

Same goes for guns.

If you use a mosin' a lot, using an M4 won't be the same.

Use an M4 a lot, using a mosin right after that means your time to hold your breath has been reduced, and you have to "grow into" using that gun.

It could go for a lot of things, wearing certain clothes, carry more stuff, have more stamina, less likely to have a heart attack.

Fighting types, such as one handed combat, 2 handed combat, etc, can be drastically improved with each fight you get into. you don't even have to kill the person, just a simple spar will do(hits must connect).

BUT.

This is all wiped out and removed upon death/respawning.

Another factor would be players lose the "experience" with stuff when they are not online.

Off for a month? Consider yourself a newspawn.

Off for a week? 1/4th of the stuff you've gone through has disappeared.

Also, what you eat should affect you. Eating nothing but tactical bacon isn't going to help you that much, having a balanced nutritional diet should put your character at healthy faster than someone consuming beans and peaches all the time. Certain foods, like spite and other (possible future foods) manufactured foods that aren't good for you could have a negative side as well.

Drink spite all the time? That caffeine may make it harder to aim, plus when you crash, running might not be a good idea....

TL;DR-Add "learning and experience" for player characters so everyone doesn't just show up on the shore with the knowledge on how to operate an M4, cut zeds down with ease with a combat knife, and use medical dressing on the fly. The clothes and gear you are wearing on your back all the time are what you will get used to, and changing it requires a "transitional" period, same goes for weapons. Include nutritional supplement as a factor for player health.

Edited by Tricky VIc
  • Like 2

works in breaking point.

would allow people to quickly identify bandits or survivors.

Each should have benefits and penalties.

I'm not sure about having penalties exactly but I think just not having the benefits other classes do should be enough.

The problem with playing as a medic or whatever currently is that you have no benefits, someone can just run up and kill you while you bandage yourself since it takes ages as does making a splint all things like this could be shortened for a medic so that would be incredible, they could also have more things per slot like a syringe or morphine injector they're hardly big but take up a whole inventory space, it's as silly as handcuff keys taking a whole space. So a medic could have two morphine injectors per slot and be a very useful part of the team.

Just trying to play as a certain class of character doesn't really work that well everything is so slow and limited

I like the idea of your character being randomised when you spawn. Or at least having the option to randomise every time. When I first started playing (0.42), my settings wouldn't save so I'd usually respawn with random appearance/race/gender. It seemed to fit with the mystery of the game.

I'm not sure how I feel about classes as it messes with the balance of the gameplay. If it were purely aesthetics, then fine, but I don't want any of that +3 aim +2 strength stats bull crap in this game.  

(I did read just don't want to leave a huge quote)

TL;DR-Add "learning and experience" for player characters so everyone doesn't just show up on the shore with the knowledge on how to operate an M4, cut zeds down with ease with a combat knife, and use medical dressing on the fly. The clothes and gear you are wearing on your back all the time are what you will get used to, and changing it requires a "transitional" period, same goes for weapons. Include nutritional supplement as a factor for player health.

That would be cool too however I don't think people would really live long enough or get in enough fights to see the benefits.

I think that plus classes would definitely be the best option.

So you can start out as a scavenger and have the benefit of holding more stuff to give you a boost at the beginning of your life, then slowly develop other skills.

Or infantryman and be combat ready straight away.

I really hope they add some variety like this, not everyone is the same in real life and not everyone plays the same sure but in game you can't have any kind of extra skill to be used everyone is totally the same no matter your play style even though realistically some people would know how to use medical supplies or guns or whatever else a lot better than others.

• Like 1

Ehhh as much and I enjoy the concept on other games, DayZ wouldn't be DayZ with a diverse class system. I love the equal opportunity to jump into survival, and how no particular fresh spawn is better than the other.

Just kidding. I'm better than all of you.

• Like 1

I would like to see something like this be worked into the game somehow, would be nice to be able to pick out who you where prior to the Apocalypse.

Where you a Engineer?

Where you a Teacher?

Where you a Scientist?

Where you a Carpetner?

Where you a Military man/woman?

Ect.

I would like to see this yes, professions held prior to the Apocalypse should hold some sort of non-gamebreaking sway over how your character performs, but there needs to be disadvantages as well to keep the "balance".

The only way I'd support a traditional "class" structure is if it wasn't traditional, so I guess that means I don't support it.

If anything, skills should be gained over time. That, and I want DayZ (as it has to an extent) to represent the player behind the character, not just you playing as a character. A skill system needs to be implemented in such a way that it actually requires extended input from the user, and in a manner that allows players to distinguish themselves (i.e. actually having to perform surgery, actually having to manually start a fire, actually having to repair a vehicle accurately, actually having to pick a lock, etc.)

That or it could be purely, purely, aesthetic.

Edited by Katana67

The only way I'd support a traditional "class" structure is if it wasn't traditional, so I guess that means I don't support it.

If anything, skills should be gained over time. That, and I want DayZ (as it has to an extent) to represent the player behind the character, not just you playing as a character. A skill system needs to be implemented in such a way that it actually requires extended input from the user, and in a manner that allows players to distinguish themselves (i.e. actually having to perform surgery, actually having to manually start a fire, actually having to repair a vehicle accurately, actually having to pick a lock, etc.)

That or it could be purely, purely, aesthetic.

I like that too but I just don't think it's viable, not with the way people play.

I mean imagine you've played for like 40 hours with one guy and gained every kind of skill, then some asshole on a hill you couldn't possibly have seen snipes you.

Would it be worth it?

Starting out with some set benefits and being able to build up others would be better than everyone starting the same in my opinion, balanced could just be the same as what it is now, maybe they start at like 30% skill in all areas where a medic has 100% skill in medicine but 10 or 20% in other areas, maybe even less.

People would just kill them self to get the best class.

Well not if it was in the character creation menu.

The point is that there is no "best class" it depends on how you use what you play as, like in any other shooter with a class none is innately better than the other.

A Scout could pick people off at long range but if an Infantryman sneaks up on them with an M4, they're freaking dead 20 times over.

With a sniper a Scout needs to avoid people since they have a small clip, just like an Infantryman needs to avoid hills because a sniper will annihilate them.

The benefits are what you make of them.

Edited by UltimateGentleman

I like that too but I just don't think it's viable, not with the way people play.

I mean imagine you've played for like 40 hours with one guy and gained every kind of skill, then some asshole on a hill you couldn't possibly have seen snipes you.

Would it be worth it?

Starting out with some set benefits and being able to build up others would be better than everyone starting the same in my opinion, balanced could just be the same as what it is now, maybe they start at like 30% skill in all areas where a medic has 100% skill in medicine but 10 or 20% in other areas, maybe even less.

That'd add value to life though. Which I'm all for.

Of course it'd be worth it, DayZ is an unforgiving experience. We can't cater our discussion of skill systems based on the predication that we might die some day.

However, this is why I think adding actual SKILLS, vice just represented abilities, is beneficial. So you, as a player sitting at a computer, would get good at X. Rather than your character gaining 50% accuracy in archery.

classes no, a basic skill system if done right? yeah.

the trick is to make the skill system have minimal impact and develop by doing things you would any ways so it isn't a grind and so you aren't set back hugely by death but still creates incentive to use caution and want to hold onto your character.

However, this is why I think adding actual SKILLS, vice just represented abilities, is beneficial. So you, as a player sitting at a computer, would get good at X. Rather than your character gaining 50% accuracy in archery.

But you can't just get better at anything except aiming you can't control how well your character aims a weapon and deals with recoil, you can't control how fast and efficiently they apply bandages your real world reflexes to be used in game are only good for aiming and running around to dodge people's bullets.

So they need to do something with it.

The % was just an arbitrary measurement really however it still works ok, I don't think you should know what % you're at for anything in game just like how you don't know you blood count etc but there should be a maximum.

Virtually no recoil for most guns, hardly any sway etc it sounds fine to me.

I'm all for adding value to life too but no matter how you play there's no guarantee you'll last long, having to build up each skill slowly would take forever and if it didn't then that's not at all realistic. So there needs to be both.

In real life, thrown in to a zombie apocalypse situation I am better with guns than the average person but I don't know how to use medical supplies that well where some guy I find could have been a doctor who can keep healthy easily.

The game should be like that everyone needs to have some unique variety to them as everyone does in real life.

Currently the only variety is the few guns and personality nothing is all that difficult, so with classes that don't just know how to effectively use guns immediately they face a disadvantage they have to overcome.

Everyone starting the same is just boring and you have no real individuality in the game people with the same gear set are identical in every way they use guns the same and can hold the same amount of stuff but with a class and skill system you might look the same but be very very different.

Would add some more tension to gameplay too like as a fresh spawn maybe you find a pistol and ammo then see some armed to the teeth too, he looks like an Infantryman so he could annihilate you and your shaky hands, but what if he isn't? Maybe his hands are shaky too.

Currently the only variety is the few guns and personality nothing is all that difficult, so with classes that don't just know how to effectively use guns immediately they face a disadvantage they have to overcome.

Everyone starting the same is just boring and you have no real individuality in the game people with the same gear set are identical in every way they use guns the same and can hold the same amount of stuff but with a class and skill system you might look the same but be very very different.

Would add some more tension to gameplay too like as a fresh spawn maybe you find a pistol and ammo then see some armed to the teeth too, he looks like an Infantryman so he could annihilate you and your shaky hands, but what if he isn't? Maybe his hands are shaky too.

Forced variety is just as boring as no variety, if not worse.

Everyone should start the same then develop in the direction they prefer, not have built in classes.  One of the major principles of DayZ is freedom of choice and a sandbox experience.