Starbridge

Perks/skills/professions/stats

Well, good thing my ideas are not for you.

You are in the minority mate. No one (or very small amount) wants your suggestion. Now you have three options 1) Throw a tantrum like a child because no one wants your idea developed into the game 2) Cop it on the chin and say fair enough back to the drawing board 3) Wait till BI hand over the mod tools, hire a server and create the paradise you want.

Which is it to be?

As for my opinion.

If any sort of profession/classed based addition is to make it to the game it would have to be non visible, restart when you die and have a very minimal scope. It needs to create a situation where people who don't want that sort of addition would hardly even notice it is there.

You are in the minority mate. No one (or very small amount) wants your suggestion.

Source ?

I'm ok for the suggestion. People want a realistic game but when we talk about the fact that irl nobody is same, people just refuse. Had a profession/background should be implemented. It should be one of many point that differ from the mod and justify buying the game 60$

You just can't go somewhere if you don't know where you come from.

If people want the game to be exactly like the mod, just go play the mod and save 25$ atm :O

• Like 2

What if our characters have post traumatic stress symptom and they just dont remember what they were before beach and day zero

It would be cool from a roleplaying perspective if you could choose to spawn with a disease that would somehow reduce what you can do in game. This would be easy to implement, especially when the devs are already implementing things like heart attacks and fevers and so forth. If they chose to put genetic disorders in as well, that would make it even more interesting. Then again this would probably be used only on roleplaying servers, so I'm not sure if there's any point in implementing it.

However, when it comes to things like exp, I'm going to say no, especially if you're suggesting the exp values be made visible to players. I tend to obsess about numbers in games, so the game would turn into a stressful grindfest for me. What I'm not against is invisible stats, like:

1) endurance + bone density: (both develop as you run or practise running  (= running continuously a certain amount within a certain timeframe), so you would be able to run further and your feet would develop stress fractures more slowly).

2) reloading speed: (increases as you reload your gun  with a magazine/clip or practise reloading your gun (= press the reload button a certain number of times within a certain timeframe, different stat for different loading mechanisms, like manual (single and repeater) and automatic)),

3) swimming: (increases the endurance stat)

4) removing vehicle tires

and so forth. Basically actions where you, the player, are not required to do anything except press a button could become easier/faster for the player avatar to complete, or you could do things like running for longer.

When it comes to things like loading a magazine with bullets or fixing a car engine or a flash light, I would actualy like to see 'minigames' implemented where you actually have to drag and drop (for example) things into correct places etc. Minigames that would require some real life expertise on a subject like electronics or car engines. If you wanted to fix a car engine you would have to manually fit the parts in place, maybe using the 3d viewing mode that already allows you to look at items in 3d in your inventory. That mode could be extended to allow the assembly of engine parts into a whole engine block or it could be used to view an engine looking for a broken cylinder to replace, or a blown out capacitor in the case of an electronic circuit etc. This would actually increase the value of both, the players who have been alive for long so they are fast at certain skills and people who know things about what medication is used for what illness (doctors) and car/electronics/avionics engineers.

Just my 500$ on the subject. (I'm implying this post is a huge wall of text)

Edited by TheSodesa

I like this idea of perks but not carrying anything with you when you die.

like other posts have said. No combat perks.

solider - run longer and carry more weight(if that's implemented) (loses some stock crafting options)

carpenter - open more options for crafting (while taking more damage due to being accident prone)

medic - heals others faster (can't hold much weight)

farmer - find food easier (subject to more sickness)

these are just quick examples but you get the idea. No XP gains by killing anything. I hate point systems. No substantial gains for any perks. Just add to the realism that all players and real people are not the same and some are able to help in other ways. Kind of like the G.O.A.T in fallout3 but nit a questionnaire.

There have been a lot of threads on these ideas and while there are a few supporters they are generally met with ire and verbal abuse. I'm pleasantly surprised with the lack of rage (maybe the community is growing up, or maybe people have just thrown up their hands in despair), but I don't support any overt skills or non-aesthetic customization of the character before starting the game. Implicit skills (some activities get subtly better with practice but without any overt notification) and changed physical condition with training and nutritional status would be a good addition but beyond that no thanks.

Edited by Roshi

I really like the idea, if this was implemented right it would make the game a whole lot more interesting in my eyes, you sir can have my beans  :)

Source ?

This forum is a good start, read the other 8 million threads on the subject.

This forum is a good start, read the other 8 million threads on the subject.

Ok so 8million people ask for the same thing...

• Like 1

Ok so 8million people ask for the same thing...

No.

I prefer to learn things myself, rather than my character learning things. Like learning basic Cyrilic to know where the heck I am. Learning which way to approach a town that brings you up behind the snipers. Learning to escape being pinned down and flank an enemy. Learning how to repair a car or fly a chopper.

Character skills are useful where you don't want to build in-depth and complex game mechanics or where the technology fails to present a fun way to interface skillfully with the environment. I think DayZ can fairly well avoid all of this to a much better effect.

• Like 1

If you start with certain items, EVERYONE would pick soldier

Yup, and rightly so. No other skill means a damn if you are dead.

If you start with certain items, EVERYONE would pick soldier

Yup, and rightly so. No other skill means a damn if you are dead.

Incorrect.  If you make soldiers more vulnerable to being sick or diseased then you would have to have people that were doctors to fix that.  First thing that I would want to play is a Medical character.  

"Oh, you have a gun pointed at my head... no, I wont help cure the disease thats going to kill you in a couple of hours, because your just going to kill me as soon as its done."

Everyone that rejects this idea are the kind of people that realistic game experience, but dont realize that everyone in the world has skills that make them useful.

And for everyone that thinks starting with an M4 is powerful... it called an idea, something that is subject to change.  Just for you people that dont understand the whole spawn with an M4 IDEA, let me break it down for you...

M4

Condition:  Badly Damage (Subject to jamming)

Maybe takes longer to reload it because of its bad condition.

Spawning with a gun, powerful yeah but with power also comes the draw backs.  THATS ALL YOU HAVE!

You can play this game solo no problem... find a no pop server, get the weapon you want to use, find lots of bullets and food then go to where you want to camp and kill people.  Log out.  Wait a few minutes, then log into a high pop server and go to town.  Personally, I am a friendly player and help people when I see them and can tell they are fresh spawns or just need some food.  Give them some good, maybe a bat if I have one and then be on my way.  I pack a Mosin rifle so that when I play with friends I let them loot the town while I watch for other players and provide long range sniper fire when needed.  Whenever I die, it take me all of 20 minutes to find a Mosin, a scope and a few boxes of ammo.  So really, spawning with a busted up M4 thats prone to jamming and not working right only saves you a little time if you want to be a D bag and kill people.

This brings me back to the drive to play.  I am geared up... and now what?  There is no story to investigate, no game mechanic that makes me want to log in and play.  Dont get me wrong the game is fun to play with friends and from time to time help people out but if I could build/add on to buildings I would be spending my time making safe places for new players to spawn, maybe leave some gear there for them and some food.

Everyone that I know that plays DayZ (Mod and Standalone) gives me the same replay.  "I like it because of how real if feels."  

My replay... "How real is it?  You mean that you are the same as everyone on the server, and a death just makes you start over and have to find all that stuff again?"  

Fun, but lacking, and I will be very disappointed if Standalone is the same as DayZ Mod, just most polished.  

As much as everyone hates the idea of "classes" then you live in a very sheltered world.  You cannot hand a scalpel to just anyone and have them preform a successful heart transplant.  Weird, those people are surgeons, they went to school for that... and that would be their class.  You cant hand me a keys to a tractor and a bag of seeds and expect me to grow a field of corn.  You cant just give a gun to anyone and expect them to know how to use it.

We, as gamers are very accustomed to game combat and therefor we either know it or can clunk around til we get it figured out.  I am going to go out on a limb and guess there is around 15%-25% of people playing this game that have never fired a real gun, let alone held one.  Maybe even more.

• Like 1

As much as everyone hates the idea of "classes" then you live in a very sheltered world.  You cannot hand a scalpel to just anyone and have them preform a successful heart transplant.  Weird, those people are surgeons, they went to school for that... and that would be their class.  You cant hand me a keys to a tractor and a bag of seeds and expect me to grow a field of corn.  You cant just give a gun to anyone and expect them to know how to use it.

We, as gamers are very accustomed to game combat and therefor we either know it or can clunk around til we get it figured out.  I am going to go out on a limb and guess there is around 15%-25% of people playing this game that have never fired a real gun, let alone held one.  Maybe even more.

True on the heart transplant, but I should hope they don't add that to the game. That would be silly. Even with surgeons around, scraping together the necessary equipment and sterile environment would be next to impossible.

Farming, however, isn't all that hard to do at a minimum. Anyone can grow some plants, just not necessarily as successfully as someone who has done it for years.

You are completely wrong on guns. I've seen plenty of first time shooters do very well on the range. Shooting isn't hard until you hit a fairly significant range. Even then, it is more about practice than training.

Incorrect.  If you make soldiers more vulnerable to being sick or diseased then you would have to have people that were doctors to fix that.  First thing that I would want to play is a Medical character.  

"Oh, you have a gun pointed at my head... no, I wont help cure the disease thats going to kill you in a couple of hours, because your just going to kill me as soon as its done."

Everyone that rejects this idea are the kind of people that realistic game experience, but dont realize that everyone in the world has skills that make them useful.

And for everyone that thinks starting with an M4 is powerful... it called an idea, something that is subject to change.  Just for you people that dont understand the whole spawn with an M4 IDEA, let me break it down for you...

M4

Condition:  Badly Damage (Subject to jamming)

Maybe takes longer to reload it because of its bad condition.

Spawning with a gun, powerful yeah but with power also comes the draw backs.  THATS ALL YOU HAVE!

You can play this game solo no problem... find a no pop server, get the weapon you want to use, find lots of bullets and food then go to where you want to camp and kill people.  Log out.  Wait a few minutes, then log into a high pop server and go to town.  Personally, I am a friendly player and help people when I see them and can tell they are fresh spawns or just need some food.  Give them some good, maybe a bat if I have one and then be on my way.  I pack a Mosin rifle so that when I play with friends I let them loot the town while I watch for other players and provide long range sniper fire when needed.  Whenever I die, it take me all of 20 minutes to find a Mosin, a scope and a few boxes of ammo.  So really, spawning with a busted up M4 thats prone to jamming and not working right only saves you a little time if you want to be a D bag and kill people.

This brings me back to the drive to play.  I am geared up... and now what?  There is no story to investigate, no game mechanic that makes me want to log in and play.  Dont get me wrong the game is fun to play with friends and from time to time help people out but if I could build/add on to buildings I would be spending my time making safe places for new players to spawn, maybe leave some gear there for them and some food.

Everyone that I know that plays DayZ (Mod and Standalone) gives me the same replay.  "I like it because of how real if feels."  

My replay... "How real is it?  You mean that you are the same as everyone on the server, and a death just makes you start over and have to find all that stuff again?"  

Fun, but lacking, and I will be very disappointed if Standalone is the same as DayZ Mod, just most polished.  

What you've described there is exactly what I don't like about classes in games. Manufactured "balancing" to make them useful. It generally devolves into "nerf this, buff that, balance, balance, balance".

You think the game is balanced already?  If that is your idea of balance, that is truly sad.  

• Like 1

Nope, we are all spawned the same, we all die the same.  The only difference should be the gear you carry and the skill you have at the game.

• Like 1

Sorry for the bump guys (if people on here look down on that), but I didn't want to start a new topic when this one had been made.  Instead of getting exp from killing to level up or upgrade what stats you have or whatever why don't you get more skill at what you're doing from doing it.  So maybe using a certain gun for a x amount of kills increases your accuracy a tiny bit while reloading that gun x amount of times shortens reload time on the weapon by a small percentage.

It could apply to most aspects of the game such as searching for berries x amount of times means you have a chance to gain extra berries, breaking out of handcuffs x amount of times means it takes a few less clicks to escape now, etc.

Maybe having a job at the start of the game would change stats at the start of the game, but nothing else.  So a Soldier might have 

All firearms accuracy- +1.5% (So he has 1.5% accuracy for all firearms in the game at the start, but as he uses different guns they will split apart)

All firearms reload- +3%

Speed of running- +2%

Foraging for berries- -2%

Escaping from handcuffs- -1.5%

etc (I couldn't think of anymore, the soldier would have more bad things to even it out, just can't think of any right now)

Wanted to bump this..

I support the idea of "skill books". (i.e. you need to read a mechanics book to build a car. A recipe book to cook certain foods. A survival guide to craft certain items. etc.)

So I have been trying out all the new zombie survival games lately and each one has elements that I like and dont like.

What I find lacking in DayZ is the the lack of personal customization for your character.  

Let me start of with Professions.

Everyone has one.  Some people are better at things that other.  For example, running.  The running that my character does in the game would physically kill me due to a heart problem that I have, but on the bright sight I do electronics for a living.  I could make flashlights, radios, broadcasting equipment and I also worked in a hardware store for a long time so when it comes to thinking out side the box I can use a bunch of broken crap and fabricate some really neat stuff.  Guns, I know safety but could I really speed load a gun if I had to... I am going to go with no.  A friend of mine that was in Afghanistan as a troop would on the other hand be able to handle his weapons with ease and have the running endurance for long runs.

To make the game a truly life like experience you would have to add in some kind of skill/perk system, profession and stat system.

If you would to put me and my friend side by side with the same gear (lets go with a full combat set) I wouldnt be jogging anywhere, I would be dragging my gun down the road while he would be jogging and I am going to guess without even breaking a sweat.  However, you put me in a hardware store I could make you some weapons that would be awesome.  A little bit of ABS pipe, some fittings, an air compessor and some paper towels and nails and screws.  Meg-shift shotgun, ta da!  Not sure what he would make but man I could just go to town in a hardware store.  Throws us both in the wilderness and I think we would be on part with each other.  He would have the upper hand on hunting and being mobile, but I was a boy scout when I was younger and I could navigate myself to a town or to water if I needed to.

My suggestion for this being worked into the game isnt kill X amount of zombies to get a level.  It would kill zombies or players (if thats your thing) and get exp, as you build up exp you can spend it on new skills.  Such as being able to go longer without eating, or faster weapon swapping or being able to fall from higher places.  

The idea behind this is to let players progress to something other than just running about and finding better gear that what they have.  Right now I have the most storage space I can get I think, and a good set up of food and weapons, so what is there for me to do really... nothing.  I just log in and run around with friends to hang out.  I have nothing to progress in and there for, no real drive to play the game.  For fairness, each player should only have so many skills/perks so you cant be the super crafty soldier or were just back at the same place of everyone being the same and then the game is boring again.

When you make your character you should be able to pick a professions and a single skill to go with it.  The gear you start with should match up to said profession and skill.  This would be the only thing that sticks with you when you die.  Not that you keep everything that you had, but you will start again with the same profession and skill that you picked before.  If you want a new set of skills then you have to start over, so that means no respecing.  If you make a soldier and ear 6 skills and then find out you want to do a survivalist, then you would have to start over FROM ZERO.  

I dont want a level system, that just wouldnt make any sense at all but grouping up with someone that can fight, and someone that can track and hunt while someone is good with their hands would make for a good team, and maybe players wouldnt just kill on sight they would want to see what you have to offer.  In real life, the best groups would be all kinds of people with all kinds of skill sets.  If everyone in a group was a good soldier, who is going to help them track food, or locate clean water or fix something like a car engine?  

Yeah yeah, some people are going to flame me for this but hey, you are not the best at what you do and there are things that you cannot do.

Choosing your job or profession, whatever you want to call it, should have impact on your character's background. Personally, I liked Nether's and State of Decay's handling of skills and leveling up. They actually did a good job with the in-game mechanics. I agree, DayZ is a bit stark but we should stop using it being an Alpha as an excuse. Sure, the actual release is going to have more features and less bugs but that won't necessarily make it a great and interesting game. Dean could learn a thing or two from the other Dayz mods like DayZ epoch and Dayz origins.

Edited by jdizzy

I'm not in agreement with any kind of combat perk.  Perhaps something more along the lines of being able to keep your weapon working correctly.  Speed and successful use of a gun cleaning kit.  While many people can successfully pick up a firearm and hit a target down range, it's a completely different story on breaking that weapon down and cleaning it affectively. Maybe something along the line of that for gradual improvement from practice/use.