aknar

Catalog of medical-related ideas

Poll questions will change as other ideas come up  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Ability to use IV bags on yourself? [disclamer: these ideas do not reflect personnal opinions]

• Yes
    • No
    • Nice idea but not worth the effort to put it in game
    • Unintresting/Last thing we should worry about
  2. 2. What should be voted next? (put detailled comments or links to put your ideas in waiting list)

• [Ideas must be discussed in a chronological order (oldest topic first)]
    • [Everything should be voted at once]
    • [This vote is useless]
    • - Stackable needles, test kits, morphine and epipins
    • - Examining dead bodies (determining cause of death, identification)
    • - Finding full blood bags in hospital refrigerators
    • - Adding Ice chests to the game (use of cooking mechanic-cool-warm)
    • - Making house medical chests lootable
    • - Having wounds and bandages appear on character
    • - Avoiding bleed-out
    • - Medicin from plants
    • - Knowing your blood type from start
    • - tearing jeans with knife to make rags
    • - Boiling cloths and equipment in cooking pot to disinfect
    • - Cardiac massage
    • - Overdose from saline bag
    • - Sleeping to regenerate health slowly
    • - Heart monitor or heart beat sound
    • - More slots in Medkit
    • - Arm sling
  3. 3. Should medical "themed" clothing be discussed in this thread? (medical gowns, bandages, medic cross on helmets, bags, clothing)

I saw a great deal of ideas concerning medical related subjects and didn't want it to go to waste. A lot of ideas eventually die out and are brought back through new threads. I wanted to make a catalog or list to group all these ideas so as to have more visibility and sponsor ideas.
Please give full credit to the people who put those ideas out there (click the link and give 'em some beans if you agree with them).

How this works:
This a neutral list (no personal choice of what is chosen or what is voted next). Each idea will be submitted to a vote.

To add an idea to the waiting list, just post a comment clearly explaining it or linking a thread. Be specific about the author of the idea so I can give them the recognition they deserve.

When a clear majority is set, The poll will be replaced by top voted next topic and will be moved in the right category. The categories archive ideas that have been voted and allows people to see what the community thinks. The poll stats will be displayed next to the topic.

Keep in mind most if not all of these ideas are of secondary importance (to say the least) in the current state of the game. They are to discuss the close-to-final release.

Any posts on confirmed features and posts on the fact a game mechanic must be improved are not worth adding to the list.

Take time to read ideas on the threads and read counter arguments, participate in the debate in that thread. Make an informed decision :)
Medic's Handbook:

- Merino's In-Depth Video Guides (Merino from TMW)

- The DayZ Guide to Medical Treatment (Guppy from the RRF)

[disclaimer]: [changes in organization/vote method, ... may occur]
                     [these ideas do not reflect personal opinions]

Waiting list:

- Allow Iv Bag Use On Yourself by KerrSG1 or Self Blood Bag by Gangrene
Not having to have other person blood-bag you. Can it be done by patient on his own? Would this break realism or coop play?

- Unknown natural ingame ressources by JiJi
Making plants you already find in game harvestable in order to feed yourself and brew your own medicine

- Blood Test Kit by JiJi
making them more commun, adding blood compatibility table

- Blood Bag by JiJi or Blood Bags and The Pen by Wiick
testing blood bags to determine blood type, being able mention blood type on bag (false info as well)

- Medicine chests by DeathHunter
can be found in houses, make them lootable

- Ice Chests- Blood bags by UnarmedCiv
having to keep blood bags cool

- Blood bags in hospitals by NevadaDG
finding full blood bags in hospital refrigerators

- Wounds by NevadaDG
make wounds appear on player as well as bandages

- Blood coagulation by BeefBacon
player slowly stops bleeding (avoid bleed-out from zombie-hit)

- Suggestion Cardiac Massage by Stan Alone or Heart massage by Zengar
ability to perform heart massage on someone, less effective than defibrillator

- Epinephrine - preemptive use by Strawman
Use epinephrine as a sort of combat drug, use on yourself before going into shock

- Defibrillators by MarcOwaR
Make defibrillators work as a sort of second wind

- Filling gaps by aknar
Everyone would know their blood type from the start, ability to tear jeans and most-any fabric/piece of clothing into rags, disinfecting cloths, equipment in cooking pot with heat with upcoming cooking mechanism, having bandages show on player

- Ways To Make Bloodbags Useful/Increase Teamwork by Jigsaw115
Chance of knowing your blood-type from the start with piece of ID in start equipment, chance of having a disease

- Overdose from Saline Bags by DayzForumer
Having an overdose from abuse of saline

- Sleeping bags %5Bitem%5D by JuX
Implement sleeping to slowly regenerate health
   - post #4 by voxframe
   Use medical beds

- Unconscious Heart rate timer? by leenffc
A discrete heart monitor or heart beat sound to tell us how far away we are from getting a heart attack, going unconscious or coming back from consciousness
   - post #4 by voxframe
  Player stumbling randomly from blood-loss, having a black-out effect, have camera slowly drop, gasps for air

- Give Medkit more slots by KarmaCoin
Differentiate protector case from MedKit. Let a larger number of small pieces of equipment be stored in it

- recognizing people and studying dead bodies by valtsu99
ability to examine body and identify cause of death

- scarfs by valtsu99
Make an arm sling with scarfs, bandanas, rags

-hygiene by igor-vk
The need to wash to avoid sickness

- The Cure! by RawkMode
Making zombies contagious. Isn't in the direction devs seem to be taking the game but the community could turn them if this is what people want
   - post #4 by voxframe
   Infection possible through blood transfusion, infected syringes, ...

- Medic Helmet and other forms of visual ID

- Reddit Rescue Force Medics input:
  - Needing splint + morphine to be able to stand back up (Wasabi)
  - implementing hypothermia (expanding cool/warm cooking mechanism to player, wetness and cold regions) (JayTWC)
  - Blood loss bringing cardiac arrest (JayTWC)
  - Suture kit from disinfected sewing kit in order to treat big gashes (Kaveman)

Currently being discussed: (please check this as it contains extra information on the subject)

[Empty]

Discussed and confirmed by poll:

[Empty]

Discussed and rejected:

[Empty]

Please restrain from putting answers up in comments. Can only be done is it is a constructive comment that gives a solution to the problem at hand. Comment is also appreciated if it is to clarify something I said, correct mistakes I made, or asking idea to be clarified if you can't understand it, or if it's badly explained/portrayed. Also, If you know other threads that use the same ideas above, mention it so I can group ideas.

Edited by aknar
  • Like 1

Ok, finished editing it for now, I'll just bump it and see how it goes :)

Hope this reaches the ears of my fellow medics, whatever the group

Edited by aknar

Nice collaboration of subjects in here.  I hope the developers eye this one and that people vote.

Wonderful discussion! You have my beans sir!

(Please drop this reply to keep topic clean if needed)

I'd like all of the ideas above, but I'd also like to see them integrated more/better with the existing medical facilities (Hospitals, clinics, etc).

I'd also like to see the hospitals expanded physically. Right now 90% of the building isn't "built" yet and we can't go in doors/rooms/etc. I'm hoping they get completed.

For the heartbeat/unconcious "metering" this could also be done visually with screen "drooping" or loosing gamma "blacking out", even mouse movements that become sluggish/jittery. Even a few character noises (Grunts moans gasps). Dropping to the ground, etc.

IV administration to yourself, make it possible with something to hang the bags on. (Hospital can have hangers etc).

Beds in hospital can be used for resting/sleeping with the above idea.

(People can be restrained to bed with rope/duct-tape/cuffs) - For the medical sadists out there.

What about, dare I say it, An outbreak of some kind in the game that can be spread.... Perhaps something to kill the patient and turn them into a zed? (OK that's dreaming, but imagine you have an entire hospital of people, suddenly they turn...)

Vial of blood from a zed, injected into a person?

I'm also on the side of people wanting a load more clothing/bags/emblems/etc for medics.

Thanks again for the topic.

Thanks for the positive feedback :) I'll try to fit those ideas somewhere (have to find the right way to organize it).

The rooms are planned from what the devs say, They say they want every inch to be explorable so I consider it as a planned feature (I might add a "planned feature" category though (although it won't be up for vote obviously)..).

I've been hesitating about adding the idea of "the virus" because I couldn't decide if it wasn't too far away from topic, (I didn't want my personal opinion to get in the way) but if someone is asking for it, I must give the idea a chance :) (it's up to the community to decide in the end)