smoq2

faking death

Yup, anything that increases your options when under attack sound good to me. As you say, not sure how ragdolls will handle this. Perhaps instead of playing a KO animation the player will just instantly ragdoll. Who can say.

Beans .. I feel that it could be easily implemented. This is how I'm thinking of it: When you're unconscious, your body is in the "dead"/"unconscious" position. When you wake up from being unconscious, your player goes back into the prone position. I can see it now ... A black screen with the words "You are playing dead." & you can only use your hearing as your tool until you decide to "wake up". This would provide good balance & some cons to go along with it as well as the pros. I support this idea :thumbsup:

• Like 10

How did you know the guy was gonna kill you?

Back on topic, it's a good idea to feign death. I don't think it would work well if someone is shooting at you (I double/triple tap if I can spare the ammo), but if you know someone is coming it could work.

• Like 1

How did you know the guy was gonna kill you?

I didn't, as you rarely know the intentions of others in this game. A retrospect of my quick, instinctual even, situation analysis:

Factors:

1. I meet a proning guy near a dead body.

2. The proning guy is geared.

Problems:

1. Did the proning guy kill the other one?

Answers:

1. He most likely did. (Even though I didn't)

Possible solutions:

kill > spare

That's what I would do, so there is little deduction needed that killing the guy was the minimal risk action in order to survive at that particular brief moment. :) Almost next to none, unless I missed.

Edited by retro19

I love the idea, but I think people will just start hitting/shooting every dead body just to be sure. It would be fun trolling KoS players though

Great idea! Maybe make it possible as well for you to be looted while you're acting dead, the same way you can loot a handcuffed person or an unconscious one.

• Like 2

What happened to zombie walking? That suggestion got a ton of great feedback last time I saw it. These animations are much more helpful than flicking someone off...

• Like 1

Awesome idea! Although, on the sniper point, most snipers would notice that their shot missed by the impact on the ground, see the guy fall over, go "...wat" and put one in his head, since he was kind enough to give them a stationary target. When running from snipers, serpentine --> cover is always a better option :P

• Beans 1

What if someone starts looting you and your character is ticklish? On the other hand, you should be able to check for a pulse also.

Btw this wouldn't work for too long because everyone would just start putting bullets in people's brains "just to be on the safe side."

• Like 2

While feigning death you could hold a button that holds your breath so you dont move a single muscle. You can hold it for a long time, but risk passing out, or let go after a while and your character vomits (if you've held it to almost the point of unconsciousness) or starts breathing heavily making you move even more and making your breathing extremely loud and heavy.

• Like 1

I like this idea.  It might give fresh spawns that small line of defense they so desperately need (especially on populated servers).

However, I would add that if you are in fact playing dead, anyone that happens by your body would be able to loot it in the same fashion as if you were actually a corpse.  That plus, they would also have the ability to check your pulse as well.  Thus, it would be a calculated risk you would have to consider before feigning death.

Edited by SpardisJX
  • Like 2

They could even have Anastasia to stab into yourself to either fake death or receive some sort of medical attention, could even be used as a weapon, no ruthless captured players for me, no sir! Faking death is genius tho! And Anastasia is well...

They could even have Anastasia to stab into yourself to either fake death or receive some sort of medical attention, could even be used as a weapon, no ruthless captured players for me, no sir! Faking death is genius tho! And Anastasia is well...

Hmmm...

MV5BMTYwNTA4NzY1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODE1

I think its a good idea.  People may say, the other player would just pop the player playing dead in the head just to be sure, but as far as setting up an ambush goes, it might lure the player close enough to start the ambush.  It's also a great way to call the players bluff, if they come out wielding a gun and dont shoot you, pretty good chance they don't have ammo for the gun, and they'll prolly check your body to see if you do.

Doesn't seem like a hard thing to implement either, it could just be like another emote from the f keys, this one just makes you lay down in the same position you are when dead or KO'd

Edited by srgnt.pepper

Sounds like a great idea! If they do implement it, i can defiantly see some funny moments :3

It might (and probably has been) suggested before but since I couldn't find it (not an expert forum user :)) I'll give it a shot.

Since we have many gestures now, including sitting down, why can't we have a "fake death" animation?

The idea came to me when I was prone near another dead body looting it, when another player run over to me from behind a building. I literally thought I was done for, since I didn't have a weapon in my hands. Funny thing is, the guy just run to the other body, and started looting it. It occurred to me that very moment that my would-be killer thought I was already dead! :D.

I pulled out my 1911 and placed a bullet in his head.

Now I know I was extremely lucky but it got me thinking. How many times have we witnessed "playing dead" as a survival tactic in movies or RL? Hell, it's a natural procedure designed by evolution itself. Hard to see it not being an option in a game focused on SURVIVAL.

Now imagine using that tactic when you start hearing sniper shots fired at you an you're in an open field. You just drop down hoping the sniper will buy it.

I know that once the option would be implemented most snipers would just "double tap", but still 1/10 might just let you off.

There should be some restrictions of course, as the feature should practically be an all-in gamble. E.g. Trying to move or look around should break the animation.

Also, I have no idea how would that perform once ragdolls make it into the game, but on a side note, I wonder how "unconscious" will work with ragdolls as well. Death with ragdoll and falling unconscious with an animation will clearly be distinctive -> double tap.

Imagine a corpse suddenly pulling out his pistol and banging you in the chest. I think this was a method of trolling in wasteland back in the Arma 3 alpha

Not bad but idea will more than likely be rendered useless simply by the fact that anyone who know about that will just pop a cap in your head regardless. Would make the pulse check feature alot more interesting tho

Not bad but idea will more than likely be rendered useless simply by the fact that anyone who know about that will just pop a cap in your head regardless. Would make the pulse check feature alot more interesting tho

Yeah but that would mean firing your gun, something you don't always want to do especially with the new Zom's.

I love the idea. It's an idea that only increases immersion, doesn't take anything away from the game and could create a plethora of new situations.

Me likey

Can add a lot to situations and strategic things

I don't see it being a problem.