Sign in to follow this  
HiddenPuppy

HiddenPuppy's Basics combat guide (Offensive)

Welcome!

This is my relatively short guide on the basics on combat in DayZ. (Offensive Combat) OODA cycle

I've spent about 1000 hours in the mod, and have taken these experiences and put them into my basic combat guide.

Let's start the basics.

• DayZ's combat system is... flawed. Many would say the combat say the combat is very clunky, comparative to many AAA title shooters. This is usually because of the nature in which ARMA's running/looking works and how bullet physics act. Although this is makes the combat very intensive and realistic (Really, it gets your heart pumping..), you cannot just sprint around and shoot anything you see first (Although, this does work sometimes in CQB environments, but I will continue on this later).

• DayZ becomes much easier to play if some small amount of tactics is used successfully in an engagement of an enemy. If some basic steps are used, you can help create your own tactics and survive most combat situations. When you are looking to engage onto another player(s), you first observe the situation. I find observing these following bullet points can provide the most information :

Observe:

• Information - What do you know about this task, How many people are you attacking, what are they armed with? What are the nearby pieces of cover? Are they bandits, or heroes? You want to know what cover to be able to move to, what exploits you can make of the enemies, how many do you have to kill before it is safe to loot e.c.t

• Vision - What can you see in the situation? How much will you see if you move? Vision is one of the most important things when fighting, it can mean life or death in many situations as it will help you make decisions based on the changes in the environment.

• Position - What cover can you use in this fight? How can you exploit the enemies position? Cover is one of the most important things in a fight. Cover & concealment is time, it allows you to stay alive for longer (Which can open up different oportunities to make choices) or exploit the enemies position.

• Equipment - Is essential, it allows you to kill... Faster or slower (or you dying faster/slower). Not much to explain here... a bigger gun makes it a lot easier to kill someone than a smaller gun... BUT this can change in different situations (EG : A sniper rifle is far less effective than a pistol in CQB environments)

Orient:

Once you have observed, you must orient yourself into a position to where you could attack said enemy. The best position would be that with optimal cover, and the most vision. Moving may also provide more observations on the enemy... which may effect It is also important to remember that you are not seen when moving to this point. If you are already in a position to engage the enemy (You don't have to move), you can move to the next step.

Decide:

Once you have readied yourself with all of the information gathered, you can engage yourself in DayZ's biggest philsophical question; 'To kill, or not to kill'.
>You can decide for yourself if it's morally correct, but i try my best to stay away from this bandit-hero argument. To me it's surviving.. you have to do things sometimes to survive (Good, or Bad)

Act:

By this point in time, you have probably thought that killing the opponent is the best option, but this does not just involve pulling the trigger and wining (mostly..). Contrary to popular belief, shooting people does actually requires a fair bit of skill/knowledge of what you are doing. I can't really help so much in that aspect (it relies heavily on self experience), but here are some tips that help me survive:

You need to be able to adapt to changes in the environment. This could mean moving to cover as they enemy moves cover (If the enemy moves into a low valley and out of sight you might want to the top of the ridge, for vision), or changing your weapon (As a sniper rifle is far less effective than a handgun in close range).

I cannot stress how much you need to stay calm. Most mistakes are made when you don't think, and suddenly think running out of cover (Throwing away time) is the right cause of action. Unless if is the only thing you can do, running into an open field isn't always the best thing to do. Also, don't get cocky. Just because the freshie has a pistol or a fire axe, doesn't mean he can't kill you.

Another thing to do is to exploit your enemies weaknesses. One of my favourite quotes of combat is "If it's a fair fight, your tactics suck." This means that you must use every advantage at your disposal, increasing your chances at survival. This could be moving into an indoors/CQB environment when you are in combat with a sniper. Another exploit is moving to a different location every time you fire upon an enemy (They would most likely be looking at your last location, meaning he wont be expecting a flanking attack, giving you the information advantage).

My final tip, do the unexpected. It's really hard to put this into words... but sometimes doing something unexpected can be advantageous. I guess one example is when you are flanked, fall back and counter flank. This would give you an advantage, as enemies wouldn't expect you to come from behind.. of your past behind..  (Just make sure you aren't seen doing this)

• My last last tip, is to remember that even when you have a perfect strategy, people still die sometimes... but you can learn from these mistakes and improve!

Final notes:

I hope this guide has helped you get better at engaging enemies. I would appreciate some good critique, also point out some of the flaws in my *Terrible* proof-reading/editing. (English ain't my first language) I know this guide is kind of like common sense, but repeating this may help improve your gameplay. I certainly know it has reduced the rate i die. Doing this will only increase your chances of survival, it is never guaranteed.

Also, discuss among yourselves on other tactics/strategies, and help improve the gameplay of others.

Remember : Exploit all of the enemies weaknesses, you might just win a 1v6 against fully armed camo kiddies.

Edited by HiddenPuppy
  • Like 8

Your tips are really only useful against CoD kiddies. What about cover and concealment, move and shoot tactics, formations, flanking, supression, ect.?

TL;DR: This isn't a learning tool as much as it is a few tips on maintaining a combatatant mentality. Still useful to newer fighters, though! :D

• Like 1

Your tips are really only useful against CoD kiddies. What about cover and concealment, move and shoot tactics, formations, flanking, supression, ect.?

TL;DR: This isn't a learning tool as much as it is a few tips on maintaining a combatatant mentality. Still useful to newer fighters, though! :D

Well, not really. COD or not, basic infantry tactics help in any environment and situation. I even go as far to say that RV engine and games around it has been made to implement the tactics the best possible way. Though there isn't a tactics that will guarantee your survival in every situation. The tactics are just a way to gain advantage and increase the chances.

I have played the mod for a long time, trying to implement the tactics in my gameplay and teach them to my squad members and it does help but it doesn't mean that you engage against 7 man with your 7-man squad and everyone will survive.

Flanking has one negative side when you play against other infantry-survivors - it is always expected. I have been in so many contacts where I come out as a winner by easiest way - take a shot and expect to be flanked. Counter-drills are much more efficient than flanking.

And you really can't teach people combat tactics by typing text on internet forum, which makes this guide helpful for all survivors. It is as good as it can get if you want to just learn something about  combat by reading.

Actually learning means practicing in countless variety of situations, feedback. And eventually it all comes to a point where you are depending on your senses. No matter which drill you deploy, if you can't place yourself on a map properly and think through your actions, you will be dead meat.

Edited by SGT. Kalme
  • Like 4

I guess, these were light tips on improving combat. You'll be suprised how many people just run at you and suicide.

This guide was only on attacking.. the subject most accociated for CoD for some reason (I am currenlt planning a defensive guide ATM)

I agree that you can't just teach somebody random thing and they become instantly good at the game, which is why i wrote "I can't really help so much in that aspect (it relies heavily on self experience)". <Don't want to sound defensive :l

Future Improvements:

• I should also include a disclaimer saying that "Even with the best tactics and strategy, people WILL die." EDIT: Added

• Also, i might add special tactical tips and strategies, such as flanking ect..

Thanks for the unput :D REALLY appreciate (As this is my first guide)

And about the KOS CoD kiddie thing, i myself try to stay away from that subject.. It only creates hate in this amazing community. Remeber, dayz would not work without bandits... :L

Edited by HiddenPuppy

Welcome to the forums, HP.  Good advice and tips in your post.  My advice is be ready for lots of people to disagree, it's the nature of youth, in my experience.  Never take it personally or seriously.  Have fun! :thumbsup:

I guess, these were light tips on improving combat. You'll be suprised how many people just run at you and suicide.

This guide was only on attacking.. the subject most accociated for CoD for some reason (I am currenlt planning a defensive guide ATM)

I agree that you can't just teach somebody random thing and they become instantly good at the game, which is why i wrote "I can't really help so much in that aspect (it relies heavily on self experience)". <Don't want to sound defensive :l

Future Improvements:

• I should also include a disclaimer saying that "Even with the best tactics and strategy, people WILL die." EDIT: Added

• Also, i might add special tactical tips and strategies, such as flanking ect..

Thanks for the unput :D REALLY appreciate (As this is my first guide)

And about the KOS CoD kiddie thing, i myself try to stay away from that subject.. It only creates hate in this amazing community. Remeber, dayz would not work without bandits... :L

Ja, take nothing I say personally. Unless you are a troll, it's all supportive criticism. :D

I just..

1. Run away.

2. If that's not possible, get your phone and play some scary music over the voice-chat, this worked for me A LOT of times actually :lol:

3. Pre-fire corners :)

:D

Edited by EvilTigerAce

another thing that's very important is learning to describe places accurately. I'm constatnly frustrated by people who fail to describle building using features that make them unique while at the same time using "left" and "right" instead of proper cardinal directions.

Arma/SA combat is positioning, you cant run in a town and quickscope... You just have to understand the basics, crouched beats standing, prone beats crouched, cover beats open, hidden beats cover... But ninja beats them all XD