yorkmorgan

Proper Forest!

The forests in chernarus are all pretty sparse, even in the thickest bits you always have a pretty good line of sight and the trees never block out a considerable amount of light.

See:

400px-Forestdayzstandalone_zps7f5abcca.j

This looks great and fairly accurately reflects some of the forests in the Czech Rep:

6044753202_085c0b7ae1_zps856c06f5.jpg

But! It gets pretty boring when you notice all the forests in the game look like this, especially considering how much of the map is forest. There are no small trees, saplings, wild flowers, ivy etc.

So does anyone know if the devs plan on making any denser forests, with more features because this would make the prospect of hunting and camping a lot more attractive to me.

Sort of like this (Another pic from the Czech rep.):

4029595-typical-spring-forest-in-the-cze

Or this... minus the bird (Pic from the trailer for the game 'The Forest', which looks awesome btw):

maxresdefault_zps7a64af2c.jpg

Thanks.

• Like 16

The problem is that there isn't enough ground foliage or, rather, the ground foliage in forests is too small. If large ferns and such were to spawn in forests then they'd appear much denser.

More undergrowth, everyone wants it...

cave1.jpg

We won't get "real" forests though - too many objects.

• Like 2

I'd love denser forests! But they'd need to optimize performance and the way the game renders octagons. I'd prefer something like the forests from Arkansas... I loved the forests as a kid! :D arkansas_forest_trail.jpg

• Like 1

Or this... minus the bird (Pic from the trailer for the game 'The Forest', which looks awesome btw):

Yeah, The Forest looks quite good. Isn't that discontinued, though? :(

I always wanted the forests to be denser. It might take a heavy load on fps tho.

We won't get "real" forests though - too many objects.

One of the reasons Chernarus wasn't performing too well was the sheer amount of trees. So more trees will not really be good for FPS, like you guys said.

I'd love denser forests! But they'd need to optimize performance and the way the game renders octagons. I'd prefer something like the forests from Arkansas... I loved the forests as a kid! :D arkansas_forest_trail.jpg

As someone who lives in Arkansas... I can definitely say that forests like that would be awesome. But dear lord, that would suck up performance.

• Like 1

One can wish and hope, the forest should be a place where one can run and disappear into instead of being seen from miles away, has anyone done a successful type of mod regards this in the arma series ?

As someone who lives in Arkansas... I can definitely say that forests like that would be awesome. But dear lord, that would suck up performance.

Plus I don't think that RP diehards would appreciate river cane around the ponds... :(

is it? damn I was hoping to give that one a go just for the awesome forest. that's incredible scenery. reeeeely creepy story tho.

Plus I don't think that RP diehards would appreciate river cane around the ponds... :(

Probably not.

Yeah, I mean I always want the forests to be better.

But they've made leaps and bounds from the mod. Whoever was in-charge of revamping the forests for SA, did an amazing job. They look a lot better now with much more variety than the mod.

Most forests that I've seen in SA have many more groves, rocks, streams, underbrush, and general clutter than in the mod. Looks great.

No, it's still around. They just released a new trailer as well. It's coming out in May on Steam.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

"alpha to coverage - all trees + grass"

there ya go.

One of the reasons Chernarus wasn't performing too well was the sheer amount of trees. So more trees will not really be good for FPS, like you guys said.

Actually, the forest comes out on early access steam on may 22, for around 14.99 usd! also, it had oculus rift support!

• Like 1

No, it's still around. They just released a new trailer as well. It's coming out in May on Steam.

Actually, the forest comes out on early access steam on may 22, for around 14.99 usd! also, it had oculus rift support!

Cheers, guys. Must have been thinking of something else then.

• Like 2

I am so used to struggling through the thick forests of Pennsylvania while hunting that the ability to sprint through the woods without tripping or getting suck in a bush of thorns and bramble confuses me.

I say more vegetation! (bushes, flowers, tall grass, etc.). Those, a couple of fallen trees/rotten logs & maybe a rock formation here & there. That should provide more than enough cover to disappear into while in the prone or crouched position

One can wish and hope, the forest should be a place where one can run and disappear into instead of being seen from miles away, has anyone done a successful type of mod regards this in the arma series ?

Hi.

Celle is full of forests that you can't see anymore than a meter or two around yourself. There were others as well, going back to OpF. For extremely limited visibility forests you need to use a lot of pine trees I guess.

Heres a link to the Celle release page with some pics. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?132368-Celle-2

Regards.

The forests in chernarus are all pretty sparse, even in the thickest bits you always have a pretty good line of sight and the trees never block out a considerable amount of light.

See:

400px-Forestdayzstandalone_zps7f5abcca.j

This looks great and fairly accurately reflects some of the forests in the Czech Rep:

6044753202_085c0b7ae1_zps856c06f5.jpg

But! It gets pretty boring when you notice all the forests in the game look like this, especially considering how much of the map is forest. There are no small trees, saplings, wild flowers, ivy etc.

So does anyone know if the devs plan on making any denser forests, with more features because this would make the prospect of hunting and camping a lot more attractive to me.

Sort of like this (Another pic from the Czech rep.):

4029595-typical-spring-forest-in-the-cze

maxresdefault_zps7a64af2c.jpg

Thanks.

Would be cool... DayZ forests were made for 2009 game, so it is possible they will be redone (at least i really hope so)

If I remember correctly a long time ago the Devs said they were going to make the forests more dense, but that hasn't happened yet. I guessing they already would have done it since they changed so much of the topography between the mod and SA prior to Dec 16th. So I don't see it happening. Really I would like it so you could drive throught the forest, or at least as easily as you can now.

Would be to heavy on the gpu drawcalls, DayZ/Arma's engine is already really good at loading huge and giant maps, which no other engine can do on that scale and quality.

One of the tricks they could do is have some of the already ingame foliage scaled up, it would make everything look denser with the same amount of drawcalls.

I was reading this topic and was like "wtf? The Forest has been out for awhile." Then I saw he post dates... This is a 5 month old revived thread!

Isn't that what the new rendering system is suppose to fix?(or at the very least improve..) Can't for the life of me remember where i read it, but not long ago somewhere i read that pretty much everything is being rendered while you play which is why you get complete shit frames in big towns. And so the new way the renderer will work is that it will only fully render things that are within a certain proximity or in your line of sight. don't quote me on that, it's something along those lines.

DayZ/Arma's engine is already really good at loading huge and giant maps, which no other engine can do on that scale and quality.

I wouldn't go as far and say it's the only one that can do it on this scale, it's more that they're the only ones doing it. But scale to quality wise it is pretty good, though it's clear that performance definitely wasn't on their mind.. nor optimization.