Sign in to follow this  
rotteck

solution for server-hopping !

the only real solution for server hopping will be:

ITEM RESPAWNING :D

no seriously, at least me, i would never serverhop again if items were respawning

i could finally play on 20/40 player servers an actually find stuff !

i hope they will add a respawn system for loot asap (i think it should have a very high priority).

by the way, are there any hints for, maybe if something like this is planned (or even tested already) ?

do you think item respawning would reduce server hopping ?

let me know :D

rotteck

1 real fix, private hives, no need to start inventing the wheel.

P.S loot respawn inc soon.

What we're going to get with respawning loot is probably going to be the same as the mod, or even more simplistic. Instead of server hoppers, it'll be loot cyclers.

Item respawning will probably happen within the next 6 months.

i could finally play on 20/40 player servers an actually find stuff !

Go inland... there are tons of loot, dont even need to go to airfield... north east for instance, start at Berezino and make your way to construction site then part of berezino then boat and finally new towns, tons of loot on that route even on populated servers.

Go inland... there are tons of loot, dont even need to go to airfield... north east for instance, start at Berezino and make your way to construction site then part of berezino then boat and finally new towns, tons of loot on that route even on populated servers.

I do not understand why people kill themselves for an Elektro spawn. Berezino is right there followed by the NEAF!

Loot respawn = loot cycle

or

Loot respawn = area already looted (long timer to wait for more), so still have server hopping

Loot respawn alone wont stop server hopping; loot respawn with a server lock will. When you log into a server you are locked to that server for a complete cycle of day/night and server hopping stops. People also server hop when playing hero/bandit role as well as just gearing up. Being locked to a server for a cycle alone would stop hopping but without loot respawn would still be a game of getting on a fresh server first, gearing out and waiting in the hot spots for others to come for gear. The implementation of police stations and med centers in multiple places (at least 14 more from what I have read in forums) will also help out. Mostly some patience on the part of the players to allow the dev team to address the issue IN THIS  ALPHA game is needed.

P.S.  There are a BUNCH of threads about this you can find if you use the search feature.

Edited by Tmar09

Loot respawn alone wont stop server hopping; loot respawn with a server lock will. When you log into a server you are locked to that server for a complete cycle of day/night and server hopping stops. People also server hop when playing hero/bandit role as well as just gearing up. Being locked to a server for a cycle alone would stop hopping but without loot respawn would still be a game of getting on a fresh server first, gearing out and waiting in the hot spots for others to come for gear. The implementation of police stations and med centers in multiple places (at least 14 more from what I have read in forums) will also help out. Mostly some patience on the part of the players to allow the dev team to address the issue IN THIS PRE ALPHA game is needed.

P.S.  There are a BUNCH of threads about this you can find if you use the search feature.

you dont need to server lock people.. just have separate hives. If you hop servers, its useless. Completely and utterly useless.. 

That is the only single way to EVER cease server hopping. EVER. 

you dont need to server lock people.. just have separate hives. If you hop servers, its useless. Completely and utterly useless.. 

a separate hive for every server? so you would have a boatlaod of separate characters, one on each and every server you visit?

What about distributing the loot on a server based on player positions? IE when the server decides to spawn in more loot it spawns loot wherever players aren't. If players are always checking airfields for loot, the airfields won't spawn much loot. Cities like Elektro and Cherno and stuff on the coast won't have much loot either, since there are a lot of people always passing through. This would move loot to the less populated areas, meaning if you were to hop a server at an airfield or other high-value area you probably wouldn't find much. To find loot players would need to travel, and if they set up a base in a city the city itself wouldn't spawn loot either because of their presence. Sort of like the mod's anti-loot radius, except much larger.

Builds in an idea that the grass is always greener over that hill or down in that city we never check.

Edited by Publik
  • Like 1

Loot respawn alone wont stop server hopping; loot respawn with a server lock will. When you log into a server you are locked to that server for a complete cycle of day/night and server hopping stops. People also server hop when playing hero/bandit role as well as just gearing up. Being locked to a server for a cycle alone would stop hopping but without loot respawn would still be a game of getting on a fresh server first, gearing out and waiting in the hot spots for others to come for gear. The implementation of police stations and med centers in multiple places (at least 14 more from what I have read in forums) will also help out. Mostly some patience on the part of the players to allow the dev team to address the issue IN THIS  ALPHA game is needed.

How exactly would you implement this?  So you're locked into a server for a full day-night cycle?  What happens if you loose connection to the server?  Can you then be able to connect to another server?  If you required people to be locked into a server, then you would have to have a way for the program to know the status of the "current" server.  If there's no connection to the server, then this information would not be available.

There is no way to implement this server lock without absolutely breaking the game.

How exactly would you implement this?  So you're locked into a server for a full day-night cycle?  What happens if you loose connection to the server?  Can you then be able to connect to another server?  If you required people to be locked into a server, then you would have to have a way for the program to know the status of the "current" server.  If there's no connection to the server, then this information would not be available.

There is no way to implement this server lock without absolutely breaking the game.

If you lose connection with the server, even now, you can log back into same server by clicking the PLAY button or going to the last server on your History tab. Or a server reboot on the current server could "unlock" you, you could write down the server name even and return to same server as well. I dont think it would be game breaking, I now have a short list of preferred servers so i dont think keeping track of where you are logged in is a game breaking issue. 

If you lose connection with the server, even now, you can log back into same server by clicking the PLAY button or going to the last server on your History tab. Or a server reboot on the current server could "unlock" you, you could write down the server name even and return to same server as well. I dont think it would be game breaking, I now have a short list of preferred servers so i dont think keeping track of where you are logged in is a game breaking issue. 

The problem is if you get "locked" to a server then loose connection to that server (because it goes down permanently), you wouldn't be able to connect to another server because you would never get an "unlock."

Servers go down all the time without coming back up immediately.  Imagine being locked to a server for 4 hours and not being able to connect to that server or any other server.  This would be game breaking.

You are only thinking in ideal worlds where servers never go down.  This isn't the case.

You would also require that server keep track of who is currently "locked" to it and send "unlocks" before if restarts.  So, what happens if the server goes down and can't send these "unlocks?"

Also, how would you handle the case of someone logging in, gets the "lock", and then logs off before the server restarts.  They never get the unlock.  Or that server would have to somehow "unlock" that player when the server restarts even though that player isn't logged in.  I don't see how this could work.

You would basically require everyone to log into one server, the server runs perfectly until it restarts, and the player never logs off  and he gets his "unlock" to be able to connect to another server.  This again would be game breaking considering the error states you have to take care off in a multiplayer game.

Think about it.

Edited by DayZ_Friendly

The problem is if you get "locked" to a server then loose connection to that server (because it goes down permanently), you wouldn't be able to connect to another server because you would never get an "unlock."

Servers go down all the time without coming back up immediately.  Imagine being locked to a server for 4 hours and not being able to connect to that server or any other server.  This would be game breaking.

You are only thinking in ideal worlds where servers never go down.  This isn't the case.

You would also require that server keep track of who is currently "locked" to it and send "unlocks" before if restarts.  So, what happens if the server goes down and can't send these "unlocks?"

Think about it.

Bohemia need to run the frickin servers themselves. This isn't a mod anymore, or an online add-on to a single-player title. They should back the game properly.

Edited by Pillock

Think about it.

Servers going down permanently isn't a normal occurrence and while not perfect, not sure there is a perfect solution, I believe it would be a viable solution for 90+% of the problem. The locked and unlocked part is not much different than tagging someone for a timer now. Again not perfect, but I can see it solving the most prolific problems we have now with server hopping, which i think personally will never be 100% solved.

Those people clamoring for Private hives, isn't that basically locking yourself into that hive/server more permanently than a cycle?

Edited by Tmar09

Bohemia need to run the frickin servers themselves. This isn't a mod anymore, or an online add-on to a single-player title. They should back the game properly.

#1 the game will become a subscription deal where you have to pay $15/month to keep playing.  I don't think this will happen.

Servers don't pay for themselves.

Servers going down permanently isn't a normal occurrence and while not perfect, not sure there is a perfect solution, I believe it would be a viable solution for 90+% of the problem. The locked and unlocked part is not much different than tagging someone for a timer now. Again not perfect, but I can see it solving the most prolific problems we have now with server hopping, which i think personally will never be 100% solved.

Those people clamoring for Private hives, isn't that basically locking yourself into that hive/server more permanently than a cycle?

The private hives are for people that want to have a character that persists only on that server.  They want to play on a passworded server away from everyone else.

I also don't agree that server-hopping is a problem.  What exactly is your problem with it?

Especially now that a timer for logging back in is required?

Edited by DayZ_Friendly

Rocket plz, why u do dis. Why no loot respawn?

Current build, Berezino is the number one best place to spawn. If I get a spawn there I am usually kitted up within 45 minutes depending on how long the server has been up

I do not understand why people kill themselves for an Elektro spawn. Berezino is right there followed by the NEAF!

Elektro is a horrible spawn. You can have luck there but 9/10 times it is horrible.

When you log into a server you are locked to that server for a complete cycle of day/night and server hopping stops. 

Umm no thanks. If the server drops to less than 25 people I don't want to be on it. I server hop for one thing and one thing only, for high pop servers. In a 6 hour session I probably have to change servers anywhere from 2-4 times depending on time of night. 

I liked the mod where every server was separate. 

What we're going to get with respawning loot is probably going to be the same as the mod, or even more simplistic. Instead of server hoppers, it'll be loot cyclers.

Better that then finding nothing and server hopping. Loot farmers make easy targets as well.

• Like 1

I dont like private hives because what happens if youre geared up then the server youre playing on is empty, dies(loses popularity) or goes offline(temp or for good). youre screwed. what i like about this game is being able to join multiple servers with the same character, especially at different times of the day. and certain servers have different populations at different times.  i have had at least 8 servers on my favorites list since i got this game a few months ago. out of those 8, 4 shut down for good. and 2 of them used to be full are no longer full.

To stop server hopping increase the timer from what it is now to like 30 minutes if you join more than 2 or 3 servers within a certain time frame. however if you were kicked you shouldnt get the timer. also if you join server A, then go to B, then want to go back to A it shouldnt give you a timer. it currently does. the only way you dont get a cooldown timer now is exiting and rejoining the same server A->A.  I am guilty of server hopping especially when im looking for 1 specific piece of loot. i will get into 10+ servers in an hour with the current cooldown timer.

Edited by vprgtsr001

I dont like private hives because what happens if youre geared up then the server youre playing on is empty, dies(loses popularity) or goes offline(temp or for good). youre screwed. what i like about this game is being able to join multiple servers with the same character, especially at different times of the day. and certain servers have different populations at different times.  i have had at least 8 servers on my favorites list since i got this game a few months ago. out of those 8, 4 shut down for good. and 2 of them used to be full are no longer full.

To stop server hopping increase the timer from what it is now to like 30 minutes if you join more than 2 or 3 servers within a certain time frame. however if you were kicked you shouldnt get the timer. also if you join server A, then go to B, then want to go back to A it shouldnt give you a timer. it currently does. the only way you dont get a cooldown timer now is exiting and rejoining the same server A->A.  I am guilty of server hopping especially when im looking for 1 specific piece of loot. i will get into 10+ servers in an hour with the current cooldown timer.

The reason they put in a timer for server A->server B->server A is to stop the ghosting that was going on.

So you could see a player on server A, go to server B and go to where you can kill player on server A, then spawn in on server A and kill dude.  This was rampant, so they put in the timer.

Also 30 mins is overkill, 5 mins is perfect.

People are still going to be impatient and server hop rather than wait for loot to respawn. In fact it could lead to a worse situation in which hoppers select a few low pop servers and cycle between them getting back to the first server again in time for the loot to respawn and so on. 

Private hives are the best solution.

The reason they put in a timer for server A->server B->server A is to stop the ghosting that was going on.

So you could see a player on server A, go to server B and go to where you can kill player on server A, then spawn in on server A and kill dude.  This was rampant, so they put in the timer.

Also 30 mins is overkill, 5 mins is perfect.

ah yeah that makes perfect sense.

the thing with 5 minutes is its way too short to me anyway. i'll alt tab and troll forums or run to bathroom and in that short time its already killed the timer.

a longer timer wouldnt stop people from hopping because there will always be hoppers, even people willing to wait the 30 minutes. but it should at least lower the number of them, cause people to say in the servers longer.