SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

If you have 10 zombie on you, you can expect 1 zombie to clip through a wall in the next 2 minutes.  This is great improved over zombies walking through walls at will...

Maybe it is related to the performance between You and the server you play on, most off the time i play on servers where my ping is about 10-15 and locking a zombie in a house isn't a big deal.

It is better but there are plenty of doors that do not stop zeds for me. The positive thing about zombies now is that it's much easier to hit them with an ax and I've noticed zombies do not have such an insane reach or they don't hit you after they are already dead.

This has made the game much more enjoyable.

I think good progress is being made now.

I closed 5 zeds in a barn.

If only I could spray

Don't open. Dead Inside. 

• Like 1

it's almost impossible to survive unless you get super lucky.

Not sure if we are playing the same game. I can find tons and tons of food everywhere (but supermarkets...) and most of the time zombies only annoy me by destroying my clothes.

Many doors stop zombies but not always it seems, needs some work but is way better than before. Also I would like to have that "leave your hitbox behind" bug (aka "zombies hit through walls") fixed - and I suspect it has something to do with opening doors and zombie collision as well.

Every single zombie I've encountered thus far has clipped right through doors. Many doors. Even doors on different floors. what game are you guys playing?

:( And where can I get it?

DayZ Standalone version 0.49, what the heck you playing? I have no problem using melee weapons to deal with zombies and the clipping issue has improved a shit load compared to the previous patches.

I trap zombies in and outside of houses quite often. I imagine its due to server performance, if the server isn't performing well it might not realize the door is closed even though your client sees it as such. But that is just my speculation. Hop into a low pop server and give it a test.

Hey guys,

Is it common that zombies just stand at the entrance to the building you are in, hitting the doorway and causing you to take damage throughout the building without them being anywhere near you? I could stand in the center of the building and look at them standing outside in the doorway, hitting it, causing me to take damage.

I just came back after 6 months to see how much the game has improved and literally in the first minute of playing this happened. I'd have thought these were the kind of bugs that would be addressed first.

If this was a quick fix to lacking pathing in certain buildings I would rather have them being unable to reach you because this is just too bugged.

(Heads up, I didnt read too far into this, because I caught he gist of what you were saying, I think) Yeah, it's a known bug. Imagine your character having an invisible box around him, if you walk through small doorways, sometimes that box gets stuck in the doorway. That box is what zombies look at, and attack. So you basically have to go back and "Retrieve" your box, and kill the zombie, or you'll most likely die.

Hope this helps, good luck and keep warm :)

(Heads up, I didnt read too far into this, because I caught he gist of what you were saying, I think) Yeah, it's a known bug. Imagine your character having an invisible box around him, if you walk through small doorways, sometimes that box gets stuck in the doorway. That box is what zombies look at, and attack. So you basically have to go back and "Retrieve" your box, and kill the zombie, or you'll most likely die.

Hope this helps, good luck and keep warm :)

If it is the way you say it is, it is a game breaker. This should be fixed right now. This is more important than map design, balancing tools and weapons and whatever else I can think of.

Running around unarmed trying to loot is not fun when the zombies that chase me just stop at the doors to buildings and kill me from there no matter where I go from that point.

Edited by AtotehZ

If it is the way you say it is, it is a game breaker. This should be fixed right now. This is more important than map design, balancing tools and weapons and whatever else I can think of.

Running around unarmed trying to loot is not fun when the zombies that chase me just stop at the doors to buildings and kill me from there no matter where I go from that point.

I agree, and I think they're working on this (Look at the upcoming patch notes)

It doesn't mention this specifically, but they say something along the lines of working on how the zombies do, well everything, this might be included. Of course, I could be wrong, but best of luck, and keep warm :)

Zombies hit me when they aren't even in the building. 

I just spawned in and nearly immediately I had 2 zombies chasing me. I ran into the police station and shut the door. It didn't clip through the the door or anything like that. But it was somehow hitting me when I was on the 2nd floor and it was outside. I love the game and it's idea to pieces and I've ignored the majority of the bugs and how broken the game is, but it's really hard to play when you're taking damage and constantly bleeding when you're not even near the zombie.

Zombies hit me when they aren't even in the building. 

I just spawned in and nearly immediately I had 2 zombies chasing me. I ran into the police station and shut the door. It didn't clip through the the door or anything like that. But it was somehow hitting me when I was on the 2nd floor and it was outside. I love the game and it's idea to pieces and I've ignored the majority of the bugs and how broken the game is, but it's really hard to play when you're taking damage and constantly bleeding when you're not even near the zombie.

That's exactly what we are talking about.

So, I know this has been an ongoing problem that zombies seem to like to go through walls... I was just wondering how tough it would be to fix an issue like that. I recently learned about some AI path-finding for a new game that I am helping to create, and so I learned all about nodes and search functions used for AI to be able to maneuver around objects. My question is this: how tough would it be to implement a node system for the zombies to follow players so that they wont go through the walls? After doing that, it seems like it would be simple to just make the walls non-collectible with the zombie. Now, I did just recently research this AI stuff, so I am by no means an expert, but why isn't this problem fixed??? If the problem is much more complex than this, please explain it to me.

It isn't fixed, but it is getting better. Since the .49 update came out, I've only seen zombies clipping through doors twice, and never through solid walls. They don't even run through low fences anymore. And it is definitely possible to lock them inside houses now as well.

I expect the problem will gradually be fixed as new updates roll out. 

Hi!

Welcome to DayZ forum!

Please take the time to read the last 3-4 status reports to answer your questions regarding Zombie AI and Zombie pathfinding.

Many regulars here stay on top of the development by following the Devtracker and Status reports which are posted in dedicated parts of this forum.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/forum/134-development-blogs-status-reports/

Please take the time to read up before posting new topics.

Thanks!

I see. That's good, because I hate it when I'm in a house looting stuff and I get randomly attacked by a zombie who just completely disregarded physics. Thanks for the update!

What I don't understand is this following thingy:

In the feedback tracker, I cannot reply because somehow it's locked. I can't create an account.

I  noticed this item was supposed to be fixed: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=15555

Well, I got some news: it's not.

The other day I got attacked by a bunch of zombies. And as a player you are just helpless. They seemed to be faster at running than the player, and even they had their back turned to me (so I was behind them, when the hitting animation was playing) and they still got me.

Hitting them with a axe is useless. There is no easy way to hit them properly. I can take 1 or 2, maybe 3. But 6 is just not doable, it's too buggy. Skill is not even an issue here. The only skill you can use is watching your character slash THROUGH the zombies, without doing damage and getting ripped to pieces, even when you're not in proximity.

Now that hackers are being less frequent, this really needs to be addressed. 

The zombies are just not fun.. it has nothing to do with looking for easy gameplay - it's just the A.I. sucks. 

From that point of view I like the zombies in Breaking Point much better.  I dont understand why we can't have that behaviour, in combination with the looting system of the SA.

Edited by roadtripper

Getting a tad bored of logging out, going off to do something else and logging in to find myself being hit by a zombie.

As I said on the Balota thread I ran all they way from the airfield to the hill way above Kamenka killed those I thought were following me logged off for a bit.  Logging back in I had the sh*t kicked out of me by a soldier Z that had started following me from Balota. I thought I'd shook him off at around Komorovo. When I logged off there was no Z's around me as I always check before logging off.

Today I logged out near a town, went and did some cleaning up and logged back in to find I was being hit 3 times before I had finished logging in again and could hit the Z back.

The only solution I can see is logging onto a different server when returning to the game as I'm obviously been targeted before logging out and not knowing it and have no way of knowing it.

I'm not stupid I don't log off in the middle of Berizino or inside some military barracks - I log off in places I think are safe.

Pain in the arse. Damaged clothes and broken limbs.

Edited by Jonah_Hobbes

What I don't understand is this following thingy:

In the feedback tracker, I cannot reply because somehow it's locked. I can't create an account.

I  noticed this item was supposed to be fixed: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=15555

Well, I got some news: it's not.

The other day I got attacked by a bunch of zombies. And as a player you are just helpless. They seemed to be faster at running than the player, and even they had their back turned to me (so I was behind them, when the hitting animation was playing) and they still got me.

Hitting them with a axe is useless. There is no easy way to hit them properly. I can take 1 or 2, maybe 3. But 6 is just not doable, it's too buggy. Skill is not even an issue here. The only skill you can use is watching your character slash THROUGH the zombies, without doing damage and getting ripped to pieces, even when you're not in proximity.

Now that hackers are being less frequent, this really needs to be addressed. 

The zombies are just not fun.. it has nothing to do with looking for easy gameplay - it's just the A.I. sucks. 

From that point of view I like the zombies in Breaking Point much better.  I dont understand why we can't have that behaviour, in combination with the looting system of the SA.

It's closed and not fixed. It's duplicate of much earlier ticket http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=725 You can see that in the relationships part of the ticket before notes and uploaded files.

So i'm starting this topic in regards to... well... Fresh Spawns and maybe even bambies everywhere...

So I got home from school and decided "Hey i'm going to play DayZ and even though a zombie jumped through a wall, broke my leg, and then didn't allow me to hit it" so I did, I happened to spawn in churno and 1... ONE zombie was my demise.... How? Well my immediate instinct was "Run to the firestation and find a fireaxe" well... I didn't find one, however I did find a crowbar so I just thought "Hey I remember using this before, a couple of hits in the head should do it" well, that wasnt the case, in fact since the new .49 patch where they "Improved the hitboxes and melee combat" I havent been able to hit a zombie in the head since so I wound up having to hit it in the chest with a crowbar over and over again until I died... doesn't something seem wrong with that? The strafe left worked half the time and the other half the zombie would lunge and hit me anyways. I hit the zombie atleast 35 - 40 times with no avail. I would've hid in a house and bandaged but they still walk through doors... I thought for sure the new Navmesh rocket talked about and how it would "Revolutionize zombies" would've fixed that, mind you this was posted in may... yes... may. If this was of any concern to them im sure they could've added collision barriers to doors by now, 5 months later. I think they should immediately drop ALL production on misc. items (Backpacks, Clothing, Guns, etc.) and work on the core gameplay. That's how development works, I realize that they need to add entertainment value to the game since it is an open alpha, but I think good zombies with good hit registration and wall detection would make the game so much better, however, I would also like to suggest they add more power to the melee weapons because unless you find and axe or a pickaxe your going to die if you come into contact with 2 or more zombies 90% of the time, lets face it. Please any supporters comment saying you agree and maybe we can get the main point of the game to a finished state, I think that would be the absolute best decision to make right now because who wants to run around in a game where you can't kill one zombie with a crowbar considering the fact that there are so many of them in game!

• Like 2

Crowbars aren't the best, but they work. But there's plenty of other melee weapons that are plentiful and better suited.

Cattle prods will two-shot a zombie every time. You don't even have to aim that well. First hit will knock it out, the second will kill it. I think stun batons work the same, but have shorter range. A farming hoe is also a great substitute for an axe. Pitchforks too.

Also, don't try to engage multiple zombies with a crowbar. I barely even do that with an axe. I run around and isolate the zombies from each other, then take them out one at a time.

So i'm starting this topic in regards to... well... Fresh Spawns and maybe even bambies everywhere...

So I got home from school and decided "Hey i'm going to play DayZ and even though a zombie jumped through a wall, broke my leg, and then didn't allow me to hit it" so I did, I happened to spawn in churno and 1... ONE zombie was my demise.... How? Well my immediate instinct was "Run to the firestation and find a fireaxe" well... I didn't find one, however I did find a crowbar so I just thought "Hey I remember using this before, a couple of hits in the head should do it" well, that wasnt the case, in fact since the new .49 patch where they "Improved the hitboxes and melee combat" I havent been able to hit a zombie in the head since so I wound up having to hit it in the chest with a crowbar over and over again until I died... doesn't something seem wrong with that? The strafe left worked half the time and the other half the zombie would lunge and hit me anyways. I hit the zombie atleast 35 - 40 times with no avail. I would've hid in a house and bandaged but they still walk through doors... I thought for sure the new Navmesh rocket talked about and how it would "Revolutionize zombies" would've fixed that, mind you this was posted in may... yes... may. If this was of any concern to them im sure they could've added collision barriers to doors by now, 5 months later. I think they should immediately drop ALL production on misc. items (Backpacks, Clothing, Guns, etc.) and work on the core gameplay. That's how development works, I realize that they need to add entertainment value to the game since it is an open alpha, but I think good zombies with good hit registration and wall detection would make the game so much better, however, I would also like to suggest they add more power to the melee weapons because unless you find and axe or a pickaxe your going to die if you come into contact with 2 or more zombies 90% of the time, lets face it. Please any supporters comment saying you agree and maybe we can get the main point of the game to a finished state, I think that would be the absolute best decision to make right now because who wants to run around in a game where you can't kill one zombie with a crowbar considering the fact that there are so many of them in game!

Yes some weapons are better then others and hitting them is tough sometimes. But I have not had a problem with zombies going through walls.

I don't honestly know what to tell you, everyone is having different issues and claims about zombies every patch, not everyone can be pleased. I find zombies much easier to fight than before, but as someone above claimed about "Cattle prods being 2 hit kill" I don't quite get, considering it took me about 10, but the farming hoe is one hitting now for me. Bugs are everywhere, just try and try again, find your own personal loophole (I say personal, because, well the game is different for everyone it seems). Good luck and keep warm :)

• Like 1

There are several threads about killing zombies around at the moment

I think you have life too easy - you have the habit of pointing a gun an pulling the trigger and, bang, the target drops dead

BUT killing zombies with a melee weapon takes practice. yes folks what you need is TRAINING and SKILL .. that's what makes the game FUN...

and after only a few days you can hear that groan coming up behind you and take out your axe without even slowing down, turn around (in a running circle, of course dont STOP for J's sake!) and whack those one or two zombies DEAD without being scratched, and go on your way (4 to 8 seconds, 2 dead, you not dead).. it's EASY.. BUT you got to LEARN how to do it.. that takes a FEW tries and a FEW trips back from the beach.. THEN you have no problems

This is what zombies are in the game for, right? to make you think, to make you learn, to make you find out what works and what does not, to know when there is trouble and how to avoid it..to know what's easy...  call it ZOMBIE SURVIVAL

Or do you want them to fall over dead when they see you ? That would be EASIER but maybe LESS FUN

.. check out the forums.. You people, it's like you throw a knife at a tree 100 feet away and when it doesn't stick dead in the target the first time, you close the game and come here to complain. There are things in life that take a little bit of TRAINING.. and I SWEAR, dude, zombies are NOT difficult..

Herer's one example among MANY

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/211915-zombies-and-rarity-of-guns/#entry2123468

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim