SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

I shot a Zombie with an M4 today and off in the distance, really really REALLY far away I saw a zombie start running toward me. I mean so far away I had to squint and lean forward while looking at my monitor just to make sure. I can't remember how far in meters/feet but I kind of laughed out loud because of how ridiculous it seemed.

I think OP fails to realize how loud a 5.56 going off is, super sonic round on a clear day can be heard for the better part of a mile

• Like 3

I think OP fails to realize how loud a 5.56 going off is, super sonic round on a clear day can be heard for the better part of a mile

OPs example aside, they do have ridiculously good senses. Even when not shooting, They tend to aggro you from over 300m.

But yeah, answer is no they wont. Hopefully line of sight will have something to do with the solution as well..

I think you fail to realise that z didn't react only because of a 5.56, but rather because of the raycasting system being used. Z's do not react on sound and you can test this yourself. I had one facing away from me, brick fence in between, I was running up and down, smashing a baseball bat against the fence, it didn't flinch. If chernaurus was flat with no trees or buildings, a z would see you from the other side of the map and run to you, as long as it's raycast line hit you. Edited by ld-airgrafix
  • Like 1

I think development team in Bratislava is working on zombie path finding I hope they're working on zombie super senses too.

once pathing it fixed zombies should be made a real danger with massively increased damge, knockout potential, etc. however they need to make stealth work too. crawling prone for example should not get you aggro from 150m+ when in grassy fields. Making them dangerous, but avoidable will put more emphasis on things like bows, mele, and suppressed fire arms and reward cautions play over run n gun.

Un-suppressed higher calibre weapons should remain much much more devastating, but incure the risk of bringing an extremely OP horde upon the shooter. beter bring a firend with somethign quiet to cover you if your gonna snipe!

I shot a Zombie with an M4 today and off in the distance, really really REALLY far away I saw a zombie start running toward me. I mean so far away I had to squint and lean forward while looking at my monitor just to make sure. I can't remember how far in meters/feet but I kind of laughed out loud because of how ridiculous it seemed.

Merged

Zombies, Zombies, Zombies..

Sovetsky wrote:

"once pathing it fixed zombies should be made a real danger with massively increased damge, knockout potential, etc. however they need to make stealth work too. crawling prone for example should not get you aggro from 150m+ when in grassy fields. Making them dangerous, but avoidable will put more emphasis on things like bows, mele, and suppressed fire arms and reward cautions play over run n gun."

I agree 100%  except Zombies do quite enough damage as it is. I had a fully energized, hydrated, and healthy character in a press vest and a motorcycle helmet killed instantly with one double maul attack from a military zombie after I had hit it in the head five times with a machete. I just had to NOT USE my .45 or M4. Luckily I spawned on the beach very close to my corpse and got the bulk of my gear back. They need to make protective gear work a bit better before they think about 'massively' jacking up the damage a zombie does.     

Be that as it may we need MORE zombies  of the high performance type and the stumbling shuffling type as well. I would venture to guess that a ratio of two or three fast energetic hard hitting runners to six walkers would be about right. 

Yes, we need runners and walkers both. The complaints about too much Spawning are absurd since Spawning is the only way to simulate the fact that Zombies would make up >= 95% of the population of Chernarus.  I would imagine that Chernarus has at least 165 square kilometers of navigable land so If we use the population density of the Czech Republic as a base that comes to about 125 or 130  zombies per square kilometer if evenly distributed.. But they wouldn't realistically be distributed in that way,  They would be concentrated in the cities and towns. The total zombie population would be something over 20,000 with ~15,000 of those residing in the vicinity of towns and cities and 5,000 roaming in wilderness and farmland  areas. 

And having more zombies has other beneficial effects as well:

1) it takes the ball away from the folks that see the game as Arma II with a few harmless zombies running around where they can pursue a cowardly and self indulgent career of banditry and sniping in a gratuitous player vs player extravaganza of blood.   

2) More zombies gives ALL the players a common enemy that they had better pay attention to or get chewed up. 

I would say zombies should be even more formidable. How about a body shot can knock a zombie down for ten seconds and slow it to a walker's pace until it is killed and a walker hit in the body will be inert for 30 seconds  but it takes a head shot to send either to its final repose. 

Edited by Xbow

I would imagine that Chernarus has at least 165 square kilometers of navigable land

225 square kilometers to be exact.

Strawman wrote, "225 square kilometers to be exact"

NOPE!! Your assessment of the area of the land over which the game can be played is incorrect   The MAP encompasses a 225 square kilometer area but that is NOT the same thing as the area of Land Mass on which the game is played that I was talking about. As a matter of fact there are about 50 or 60 square kilometers of OCEAN displayed on the map on which game play can not take place except for swimming...zombies can't swim.  To elucidate. 225sqKm MINUS 50 or 60 SqKm = 165 to 175 SqKm of playable area. 

Which reminds me you should have the ability to find and use WP bags to protect your delicate items from, water damage while swimming. Salt water Immersion apparently ruined two sacks of rice on my epic but fruitless swim to Skalisty Island.       

Strawman wrote, "225 square kilometers to be exact"

NOPE!! Your assessment of the area of the land over which the game can be played is incorrect   The MAP encompasses a 225 square kilometer area but that is NOT the same thing as the area of Land Mass on which the game is played that I was talking about. As a matter of fact there are about 50 or 60 square kilometers of OCEAN displayed on the map on which game play can not take place except for swimming...zombies can't swim.  To elucidate. 225sqKm MINUS 50 or 60 SqKm = 165 to 175 SqKm of playable area. 

Which reminds me you should have the ability to find and use WP bags to protect your delicate items from, water damage while swimming. Salt water Immersion apparently ruined two sacks of rice on my epic but fruitless swim to Skalisty Island.       

I'm not sure that the sea part of the map is counted in that assessment. I do however know that, having traveled pretty much all of the map, you can play the game on all of it.

Strawman wrote:

"I'm not sure that the sea part of the map is counted in that assessment. I do however know that, having traveled pretty much all of the map, you can play the game on all of it."

The Map is a 15km X 15km  (225 sq kilometers) grid and that includes the ocean areas. And yes you can play the whole map the ocean too if you don't mind swimming

Cheers : )

Strawman wrote:

"I'm not sure that the sea part of the map is counted in that assessment. I do however know that, having traveled pretty much all of the map, you can play the game on all of it."

The Map is a 15km X 15km  (225 sq kilometers) grid and that includes the ocean areas. And yes you can play the whole map the ocean too if you don't mind swimming

Cheers : )

Yeah, I know it's 15 x 15, but I was pretty sure that they didn't count the "sea grids into that" (not that it's that much sea on the map anyway).

But ok, if you say so. Back on topic. :)

Edited by Strawman

Strawman wrote, "Yeah, I know it's 15 x 15, but I was pretty sure that they didn't count the "sea grids into that" (not that it's that much sea on the map anyway).

But ok, if you say so. Back on topic."

I could be wrong strawman  but its a minor point.

So Strawman, have you noticed that many of the Zombies are hauling ass and can beat a healthy, energized and hydrated player in a foot race these days? And from the tests I have run just today this is especially true of the black jacket and Military Zombies.

I don't think zombies should be faster than players myself...after all death and resurrection  should mean some degradation of their mobility and strength. Today I was Zombie sniping from the forested hills and rocks to the North of the Svetlojarsk port facility. I watched a female zombie from a crouched position while hidden by a tree. While I watched with my binoculars the zombie bitch didn't move and was staring to North West. I backed up slowly into a tree and switched to my M4 with ACOG and then crept forward. I was still hidden  by the tree and at a range of a bit over 400 meters but as soon as my sights settled on the Fem Zombie it activated went into a rage and ran towards me. I took two or three shots to hit it and bring it down. Do a zombies senses sharpen when you are pointing a weapon at them? Strange. What is your take on the post patch Zombies?      

Edited by Xbow

why would they buff zombies out of nowhere? Is that what they think the problem is in DayZ? Buff something that can run through walls/jump at you through walls, not sure how that is thought of as a "good" idea. Just keep adding clothes and buffing the terrible zombies, that'll fix it. "hmmm maybe if we make it so the zombies can just kill them it'll be a zombie game again"

They're still a non-issue so who cares?

I think they've reverted them in experimental any ways, which will make its way to stable before long.

I think you're taking it way to seriously. They aren't going to make it so the zombies can knock you out in one hit to the toe. Its going to be slight if anything. And the game is an Alpha and it states that each time you load the game, don't expect it to be 100% smooth and glitch free.

They're still a non-issue so who cares?

I think they've reverted them in experimental any ways, which will make its way to stable before long.

how are they a non-issue? They see you from 10 miles away and hit you while running, going in buildings is a bad idea because they'll just hit you from downstairs. or you'll rubber band back to a corner and not even know you've been getting hit the whole time. the game is sold as a zombie game and its probably the worst zombie game I've played.

I must have hit one with an axe yesterday almost 15 times before she fell over and died. As I turned to walk away the next thing I hear is her growling, so I turn back around. Sure enough she's back on her feet coming after me.

I think you're taking it way to seriously. They aren't going to make it so the zombies can knock you out in one hit to the toe. Its going to be slight if anything. And the game is an Alpha and it states that each time you load the game, don't expect it to be 100% smooth and glitch free.

yea i know its in alpha, I just don't expect updates that are so stupid. Just the idea to buff such glitchy zombies and not have it fixed by now is pretty absurd. games unplayable to me currently, unless you go on a full pop server so there's zero zombies....

Its a known issue, not an intended change, from the changelog

Known Issues:

•  
  • Ongoing melee balancing has zombies more resilient to body impacts. (Aim for the head)
  • Like 1

yea i know its in alpha, I just don't expect updates that are so stupid. Just the idea to buff such glitchy zombies and not have it fixed by now is pretty absurd. games unplayable to me currently, unless you go on a full pop server so there's zero zombies....

if you want perfect zombies i dont think youre going to get much from DayZ. the mod still has zombie problems. 

I must have hit one with an axe yesterday almost 15 times before she fell over and died. As I turned to walk away the next thing I hear is her growling, so I turn back around. Sure enough she's back on her feet coming after me.

yep. I'm 100% positive hitting them with a crowbar only makes them stronger. 

if you want perfect zombies i dont think youre going to get much from DayZ. the mod still has zombie problems. 

well it'll always have zombie problems, the point is that you DON'T make the zombies stronger when they are so problematic. It's very stupid. It's like asking, "who has a really dumb idea to implement into the game today?" "Let's make the zombies harder to kill and better at killing you...before we fix them"

Strawman wrote, "Yeah, I know it's 15 x 15, but I was pretty sure that they didn't count the "sea grids into that" (not that it's that much sea on the map anyway).

But ok, if you say so. Back on topic."

I could be wrong strawman  but its a minor point.

So Strawman, have you noticed that many of the Zombies are hauling ass and can beat a healthy, energized and hydrated player in a foot race these days? And from the tests I have run just today this is especially true of the black jacket and Military Zombies.

I don't think zombies should be faster than players myself...after all death and resurrection  should mean some degradation of their mobility and strength. Today I was Zombie sniping from the forested hills and rocks to the North of the Svetlojarsk port facility. I watched a female zombie from a crouched position while hidden by a tree. While I watched with my binoculars the zombie bitch didn't move and was staring to North West. I backed up slowly into a tree and switched to my M4 with ACOG and then crept forward. I was still hidden  by the tree and at a range of a bit over 400 meters but as soon as my sights settled on the Fem Zombie it activated went into a rage and ran towards me. I took two or three shots to hit it and bring it down. Do a zombies senses sharpen when you are pointing a weapon at them? Strange. What is your take on the post patch Zombies?      

My take is that since the first tweak, when they stated that the new infected were a placeholder, and with recent announcements that they're tweaking melee, and what they have said about the meshes they're using to fix pathfinding I think it's gonna turn out fine eventually. They're well aware that it's somewhat problematic currently and they're working on balancing it. I'm convinced they will get it right eventually.

Edited by Strawman