SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

so I wound up having to hit it in the chest with a crowbar over and over again until I died... doesn't something seem wrong with that?

Yeah, apparently you're doing something wrong, because hitting a zombie in the head with fists even in the current experimental build is still relatively easy.

I think they should immediately drop ALL production on misc. items (Backpacks, Clothing, Guns, etc.) and work on the core gameplay. That's how development works,

Graphic designers should immediately drop what they are doing and concentrate on doing something that they are probably not qualified to work on? That's not how development works.

It really doesn't take skill if you have a weapon that kills in one or two shots, and in the case of the cattle-prod, if you hit once and KO the zombie, you've already won because the second strike is a freebie. Just circle-strafe and swing. Don't spam your attacks, if you miss, just keep strafing and swing again when the zed gets near. 

And there's always the Brave Ser Robin approach...

• Like 1

a little trick I do sometimes for fun or if I'm a freshie is find a building with to entrances open both doors lure zeds in close said doors no more zed issue or just run...run like the wind. I've also noticed if I'm crouched and moving slow close to buildings and such and watch my corners it is possible to use stealth as well. just keep practicing you'll get your technique everyone has one you just have to find yours good luck by the way I'm glad zeds are actually killing folks sorry it killed you but I like they are at least a threat sometimes to folks.

• Like 1

It's been a little while since I've played, but the last time I did, I simply circle-strafed around the zombie(s), making it more difficult for them to hit me since they have to turn around to do so, and aimed ABOVE their heads in order to actually HIT their heads (they may have fixed that since, I'm not sure); depending on what weapon you're using, it may take more than 2-3 hits to take them down, but if you just keep doing this, you'll almost always come out on top. In the event of 2 or more zombies, simply do the same thing, only in a wider circle, so that you can try to isolate the zombies a bit and get a little 1v1 time with them.

It really doesn't take skill if you have a weapon that kills in one or two shots, and in the case of the cattle-prod, if you hit once and KO the zombie, you've already won because the second strike is a freebie. Just circle-strafe and swing. Don't spam your attacks, if you miss, just keep strafing and swing again when the zed gets near. 

And there's always the Brave Ser Robin approach...

Basically, what they said; also, as they said, simply running away is the best option; sometimes they give chase and actually keep up with/gain ground on you, in which case you simply stop, circle-strafe around them once or twice, then keep running. This will slow them up enough that you should be able to get away from them, because by the time they face you and start running again, you've already got a big enough lead on them that they shouldn't be able to catch you.

Just a little tip about melee, if you have anything but a fire axe, drop it and punch the zombies in the face. It's easy and it knocks them out, repeat until they fall on their back. Any weapon other than a fire axe or anything that takes care of a zombie in 1 to 3 hits puts you at risk of retaliation, letting a zombie get free hits on you is counter productive.

I find the fire axe, axe, pick axe and machete all good enough to deal with whatever threat the zombies pose. 

• Like 1

I find the fire axe, axe, pick axe and machete all good enough to deal with whatever threat the zombies pose. 

Everyone has their best choice melee weapon - I never got the knack of punching down zombies without risking being hit back a couple (or three) times, but I've seen guys take out 3 in one fight in just a few seconds, without a hair out of place.. Then they just straighten their tie and go about their business, like in the kung-fu films.

For myself I don't like the machete  - it's a big disappointment (hey TELL me if I'm wrong because I used to LOVE that thing) - in the Mod it was GREAT, it was all you needed, it was the first thing I looked for.. but here in SA you can't cut down trees with it, which is fairly dumb, it's crap for cutting meat (worst at loosing percentages of cuts of all the 'knives') and I don't rate it for melee.To me its just better than the baseball bat, which is not saying a lot. But maybe I haven't tried enough because of its other weaknesses.

On the other hand the pickaxe (as you say) is a good weapon.. and also the hoe and the pitchfork are both great.. I'd carry only a pitchfork if I didn't need an axe for trees. Between those choices I guess the best would be the weapon that has the fastest action - to give you the most hits in a given time, but I never really checked that out.. the pitchfork is fast, swings crossways and it seems to hit everything in its path.

BUT best ever, in my opinion: a thing that really cheered me up...

I found out by chance  (ya know, .I got dumb, taken by surprise, cornered) and I discovered that the screwdriver works REAL GOOD on zombies.. It's a total classic Special Services 'weapon of opportunity'.. It does a straight thrust, and you just stick it in their face or anywhere in the head ... amazing !

Bottom line is - as ganon46 says further up - everyone has their technique.. you have to find what works for you. The only reason I ever take out a gun when I go into a town now is because I think there are other players in the building or around the corner.. I keep the axe slung so I can move faster right until the moment I hear or see zombs, and then unsling. Zombs are really ZERO problem now..

I think mainly this comes down to working out the footwork, and knowing from experience when they are going to hit you, and what angles they can hit from (pretty wide angle from where they're facing in fact) I find it's best to go straight back at them, aiming to get close past one shoulder of the zomb before it can set to strike, and turn and do the same again, I dont ever strafe..I keep going forward and always keep turning.This works with up to 3 zombs as long as you always turn back through the middle of them all the time. They almost never get a chance to set up to hit you.

But ganon46 is right.. you have to work it out for yourself. everyone has different techniques

Aside:

- We should be able to use the butt end of a gun (rifle at least) as a club.

- We should be able to USE the fitted bayonet as it was intended.

- And a host of other stuff for later that I won't detail .. broken scrap metal, an arrow as a stabbing weapon, chairs (if we have discrete objects like fridges, so why not street scrap, different zombie attacks, more 'unpredictable' melee (2 or 3 zombie random reactions instead of 1, zombie grapple for instance, zombie bite..) zombie lures,like thrown meat or smoke flares, fire-hardened ash poles sharpened as lances, maybe able to keep zombs at a distance.. many folk have suggested many ideas in the forums and quite a lot of them are not complex or zany and are workable..but that's for sooner or later, not at present..some good stuff has already appeared recently..the devs are doing ok)

- HOWEVER We NEED to have real STEALTH, as in the old Mod.. because that was a great gameplay element, but at the moment it's a VERY unfortunate lack in SA..

And p.s. the heli crash sites should have a couple or three of bad zombie pilots wandering around, I think... (that was a great stealth opportunity in the Mod, crawling across a bare field with 5 of those guys wandering near... that was stress and excitement and gave some great moments..

Without even multiplying the number or zombies beyond what they are now, they can be used in a variety of ways that would AUGMENT the gameplay. People say they are underpowered, hit unfairly, etc.. but with a little reaction variety and a little situation variety they could be used to bring a new set of worries and problems into the gameplay. And - not because of ttheir pathfinding or their clothes ripping.. they could fairly scare the shit out of players.

One dumb example - Suppose you take a swing at a zomb with your spade, and one day the zomb grabs a hold of the spade and hangs on to it, and pulls at, it and howls.. what you going to do ?

scuse me for going on so long. I'm a zombie fan from back in the Mod starter when they ran really fast in zig-zags, and if you talked they HEARD you... all that stuff..

xx

Guys, listen, some things I said were misunderstood so i'm going to clarify, NO I don't find it hard AT ALL to kill zombies as long as I have an axe, stun baton etc. however, that was the situation where I went into the firestation and there was only crowbars, I looked elsewhere... only crowbars... NO I don't think that the graphic designers should drop production on their work as they are obviously under-qualified for the job, you knew what I meant and still spoke for the sake of being heard, if you can't be constructive don't be destructive. NO I wasn't fighting multiple zombies, it was one zombie, and NO I didn't mean it's impossible to get a headshot with a melee but since the recent patch i've noticed it's grown much harder to do so and i'm stating the fact that if i was to walk up to one of you with a crowbar i'm pretty sure i'd be able to swing it and hit you in the head... so why can't I in DayZ? And what do I mean by the zombies are broken? Walking through doors (That seems like a major problem that needs fixing doesn't it Exorade, who knows maybe the graphic designers will get right on that ROFL) also when you dodge the zombies attacks and the still hit you (That seems like a hitbox problem that I was SURE they fixed. No it's not lag, theres no hit lag for me against zombies or other players, no lag picking up items etc.) I hope this clarified the issue enough so people don't just keep thinking i'm raging because i'm bad at the game... regaurdless if anyone has anything to say PLEASE SAY IT :)

The DayZ standalone is still burdened with one heritage: Arma is just not made for melee combat. It will always feel clumsy until they drastically change it deep within the core of the engine.

Hit boxes , Hit Reg, and zombie desyncing to the point that they just lagg through the doors you clearly closed behind you, is getting really frustrating.... iv only had the game for 1 day and iv died atleast 20 times because i couldnt get hs's with axe, machete , the only way i can kill a zombie is with a gun.... which i can never get my hands on.... and yet iv been a long time player of the mod....i can b face to face with one of them in a corner and i wont even be hitting them....

when i do get hs's it only knocks them out, no matter what i use and they just instently get back up.... whats the point if they can still track you when you get close to 200 ft away and they still hauling ass after you....honestly i like what the game is bringing in terms of diversity with its items and means of taking care of one self.... but srsly.... you really need to stop everything and working on the AI!

incress the knock out timer too a minute + . srsly dumb down the what ever you use for the zombies tracking the players!(i can close all the doors inside the hospital behind me and trap a zombie up stairs and take the ladder down.... i go afew buildings away and when i i come out, the same zombie is right infront of me charging me....) there is no way to slow them down.... breaking legs is impossible....blunt weapons should be able to knock back zombies! and bladed weapons should cause limb dmg instantly! zombies shouldnt be able to hit you from 15ft away well at a full sprint!

any weapon landing a hit to the head should be a kill!

when im not running form zombies and trying not to die because of its stupid AI, i have a lot of fun.... but add the zombies....... and its just not worth playing! id rather play in a full server with no zombies then play in a server by my self, trying to gearedup and dying because of a glitching zombie... 

all in all , zombies dont gain super invulnerability ,super speed , and super str just because they are zombies...they should be the dam easiest to kill in the game....

Alright. Let me start off by saying this is not a rant, but truly a suggestion. I think that the crawler/hopper zombies should be removed, and tested internally to make sure they actually work before releasing them to the public. Normal zombies work somewhat normally now, we all know they need work but the game is playable with them. The crawlers, however, are a different story. I encountered 1 single crawler, which killed me. I was wacking it with a stun baton (with battery), which kills a normal zombie in 2 hits. I hit the crawler 11 times. Still was unscathed, and managed to kill me. I ask that these types of zombies are removed, tested/fixed internally, then re-released when they are at least playable. I understand it is alpha, but invincible zombies is unacceptable. Thank you.

Alright. Let me start off by saying this is not a rant, but truly a suggestion. I think that the crawler/hopper zombies should be removed, and tested internally to make sure they actually work before releasing them to the public. Normal zombies work somewhat normally now, we all know they need work but the game is playable with them. The crawlers, however, are a different story. I encountered 1 single crawler, which killed me. I was wacking it with a stun baton (with battery), which kills a normal zombie in 2 hits. I hit the crawler 11 times. Still was unscathed, and managed to kill me. I ask that these types of zombies are removed, tested/fixed internally, then re-released when they are at least playable. I understand it is alpha, but invincible zombies is unacceptable. Thank you.

I have yet to die from a zombie, or cold, or thirst, or hunger. I was kinda hoping they would make them harder, just my two cents

I have yet to die from a zombie, or cold, or thirst, or hunger. I was kinda hoping they would make them harder, just my two cents

making them harder should involve making them hit harder or something, not defy physics.

• Like 1

making them harder should involve making them hit harder or something, not defy physics.

Agreed, In my mind the difficulty would be in numbers. I would prefer slower lumbering "romero" zombies. But that doesn't fit the backstory. 

I haven't had any problems with the crawling zombies.. Are you sure you're hitting them in the head? just use a fire axe man, it's a lot easier.

Your battery died.

Hold A, aim for head, take no damage.

So, not 100% if these issues are glitches or intended features, but I'm still running 0.49 stable and no update came AFAIK.

- Character loses breath if zooming in without a weapon

- Character loses breath very quickly for no reason (took me several minutes of jogging to get winded on one server, on another I got winded by jogging across the street. Both servers: Energized and Hydrated)

- Zombies started detecting me very high above them

- Zombies started detecting me through non-see-through windows

- Zombies started detecting me if I am just near them, behind them, stationary.

- Zombie aggro just all out bonkers

Edited by DoomDude1

prettymuch nothing in this game is an intended feature.  just placeholders and glitches.

and they aren't zombies - they're really ugly wizards.

Your character loses breath when you zoom in without a weapon because in the game keybinds zooming in and holding your breath are set to the same key. I tried switching this a while ago but I found it to be quite annoying if they were not set to the same key.

I am not sure about the rate of becoming winded. Could have something to do with the number of items you are holding or the temperature of your character.

Zombie detection is a bit ridiculous right now but in one of the recent weekly updates the dev team said they were reworking the aggro system. They want to being back stealth like it was in the mod.

Military Zombie OP?

They wear military uniforms. I've one hit normal civilian zombies with machete and axes being Energized and Hydrated in green and hit them when they're down to make sure. What makes a bulletproof vest resistant to sharp melee damage? I'd understand if this zombie model is more resistant to small arms fire, but sharp melee weapons? I've yet to drop a military uniformed zombie with a sharp melee weapon because after nearly dying three times I just run from them. Is this just me? 

I dont seem to have a problem with taking them down. Sometimes the extra swing at them, but not much else.

I would actually like to see more vareity in zombie types, Cevi zombie 1 swing with a sharp weapon or a pistol shot, Milt zombie 1 swing to the head if its not wearing a helmet and stuff like that.

I don't have much problem murdering zombles with melee.  A lot of times the problems people have with melee are just dodging and timing.  Never stand adjacent, just circle strafe and aim for the face after it swings.  It just takes practice.

To put it simple, You're battery was Dead You can only kill about 4-6 zombies, 10-12 hits before dead battery. Do a little research on the Weapons you are using first before blaming the zombies

When using the fire axe (and you should be!), forget about the crosshair dot. Look at the axe head instead, and you'll be hitting a lot better. You can even drag out your swing and hit multiple zombies with some practice. 

For me, fire axes definitely kill regular zombies in one hit, 100% of the time, no matter where on the body it connects. Military zombies take two hits. If you have different experience, it's fair to say the problem is probably lag related.