M0RG0TH

Getting killed by groups only.

Seems to be easy solutions to your problem. Play with friends of your own, or be better than the groups hunting you.

You also mentioned that you go to low population servers to gather your gear. That itself is more against the spirit of the game than getting killed by a group of gun toting thugs.

Your points contradict how you are actually playing the game. You mention the advantage of voice communication, but you dont mention how badly you feel about your ability to just go get loot with little to no risk of your life and limb? Your post seems hypocritical.

Regardless, private hives, loot economy, and many other aspects as yet to be introduced into the game are going to have a profound effect on how it is played and received.

Stick to empty servers man, only way you get a "zombie survival horror" out of this game, or infected should i say since these arent even zombies, but you go in a server with people 3 out of 30 will probably be ok. The rest are just killers and people hunters. They need to change the store page for this game, nothing zombie or survival about it as it stands now, its just a PVP slaughterfest, would of bothered with the shootemups in the past 10 year if i wanted to play one of these. Ignore the people "dissing" you, they only know one way of playing games, group up and kill other groups (or loners) since thats all the vast majority has ever done. In a "real life" event of civilization collapse however,  these people would be the ones begging for help first and be dead within the first two week if tesco shut. 

• Like 1

100+ hours in dayz and I still haven't been killed by anyone playing by themselves. Its really just frustrating to me that I spend a few hours on a character gathering items together on servers barely populated. To die in a situation I couldn't use the gear I just spent hours getting to fight back with, in which the teamwork of the enemy was only possible via out of game communications, every single time. Every single time I've been shot down its because I got jumped by multiple people in a situation I could do nothing about. Almost instant death with hours of progression lost every single time, then you start over and realize there was never any progression at all. Dieing to a single person would be great, but hasn't happened yet. Every single death of mine was by groups who play this more as Arma2 than a zombie survival game. Instant kos, body shots, they don't care about loot. Am I the best DayZ player? Absolutely not. I've had my share of combat encounters, and I've died plenty. But never to a single person who was taking me on alone.

I believe I'm done with this game for now. I need some time to think about If I feel the game is worth putting further time into. I have no doubt that if I keep playing some solo player will bring me to my end at some point. I'm just really discouraged by and against the idea that all my time spent on any character has a much greater chance of dieing in an unfair situation by a group I could do nothing about. A situation where you couldn't even fire a shot in defense. So you don't even get the fun of using your gathered loot. Gathering loot isn't fun if you know you probably won't get the chance to use it. I understand its just a part of the game and its how they have fun.

But I'd honestly rather die by a hacker, or glitch in any way, aimbot me, teleport me through 3rd floor wall, anything. At least that situation isn't suppose to happen knowing it might get fixed one day. Majority of players I see in game aren't alone. These gang raped situations are suppose to happen based on how the game is played and the varied maturity level of those who play it. And its not something you can fix or fight against without doing the same and playing with groups of friends. Not something I'm willing or want to do.

Now I know what rocket meant when he said DayZ was fundamentally flawed. Whether he meant in this specific way or not. It goes to show it has many. This isn't meant to be a rage "Fix the game" thread, not at all. This is me realizing DayZ itself is not a game I enjoyed based on how it actually plays out, but the core idea of DayZ to me is still and forever will be incredibly appealing, which I believe connects us all. And that it is okay for others to express similar feelings without verbally attacking the game, its associations, and or those with differentiating opinions. Simply quickly put, I'm saying at its current stage DayZ is not for me and I'm not afraid to say it.

And just because mine and others opinion is that DayZ is fundamentally flawed, does not in anyway mean the game cannot be enjoyed. And if what I have said so far offends you or deeply conflicts with what you believe I apologize, I never meant to offend anyone. I just wanted to state what I believe as calmly as I can appear to put it with how frustrated and disappointed I feel.

Farewell for now and godspeed.

You're post is fair (I'd have said excellent if you'd have ended it after the 2nd paragraph.) That being said I think you should take a break for a while and wait for more substantial content to be added.  

The addition of more in-game activities will help a lot (vehicles to repair/maintain, hunting, base building, crafting/cooking, etc.) as will more functional locations to find gear and do these things in (i.e. fixing broken loot spawns, adding a loot respawn mechanic, new locations, new buildings.)  People will be busy doing stuff other than just trying to kill you and you'll have more locations at which to focus on PVE or survival.  

Yes, the hardcore PVP crowd can still fight it out at their favorite hot spots and more power to them.  I just won't be there unless it's absolutely critical or I get bored again ;)

OP, it sounds like you're trying to play the retail version of what DayZ will be. If you are a huge zombie survival fan, as of right now, alpha may not be what you're looking for. Everyone is going to play different. Everyone is going to have their own opinions on how to play. And everyone will have different DayZ experiences. If you're not 100% ready to give up alpha, i encourage you to move inland away from the coast where the majority of squad based combat occurs. But, if you truly believe the game is flawed at the core, don't play it til release. IMO

So this is what I got out of your post (No offense.).

1. You complaining that people aren't all lone-wolfs and like the company of others.

2. You complaining about not getting one on one firefights, from those who prefer to use group tactics.

3. You complaining about not being able to use your shiny loot you labored hours finding, to hunt and kill people in "fair" fights...

You go on about how you hate dying because people are in groups, yet you say you wouldn't mind getting killed by some hacker/glitcher because those aren't "meant" to happen.

So are you insinuating that groups/squads of people aren't meant to happen, that every person should play this game solo?

I honestly think your just upset that your alone all the time, and you want to have people play like you, and not the way they want to...

And again I meant NO/Zero/0 offense by posting this, it's just I don't understand the need to post farewell/I'm done/taking a break threads, like you or the other posters feel like we need an explanation as to why your not going to play again or for a while, lol...

• Like 1

Kudos for serius and constructive post.

Regarding groups:

- They are THE weakness in size.

- More or less a lot of groups, are not organized.

- You are one person. One invidual. Make that coun't.

- Large groups against single skilled player are easy prey.

- When you see 1-2 players, ALWAYS, i repeat ALWAYS start covering your flanks. If your not, your already dead.

The most probaly cruisal thing in DayZ, either is that standalone or not. Adapt to the situation at hand within seconds or die.

Me personaly and my friends, where kiling large groups alone. Becouse of some weakness written above. You are atm prey and did not raise up to the point of predator.

Edited by metalica24
  • Like 1

I started to sympathize with the OP until he kept going on and on, taking the defensive route rather than the informed one. All of your complaints are why people play this game. Challenging encounters between other human beings are what should drive you to continue on. Every encounter is a learning experience, and encounters are so varied, you always have to think your way out of a situation. You count your victories with each successful encounter, not how many times you got bested. 

You just have a poor outlook on the game. 

Sooo, you got killed by a group of people using superior numbers, communication, and tactics and then come here to complain? Is that the gist of your post?

Maybe you shouldn't try to lone wolf them,

Maybe you should scope out a town so you can make sure there isn't any movement there,

Maybe you should check the windows, check the angles, check your flanks, or, god forbid, play with a group of mates yourself.

DayZ favors groups, they have strategical advantages in firepower and observation, a good ambush is useually fatal, even for another group.

But that doesn't mean DayZ is flawed it means you got beat by superior numbers or tactics which happens all the time. Adapt or Die is what DayZ is about.

Edited by Massacre

I started to sympathize with the OP until he kept going on and on, taking the defensive route rather than the informed one. All of your complaints are why people play this game. Challenging encounters between other human beings are what should drive you to continue on. Every encounter is a learning experience, and encounters are so varied, you always have to think your way out of a situation. You count your victories with each successful encounter, not how many times you got bested. 

You just have a poor outlook on the game. 

There is more people who are having far more negative than positive here now, id say they will drop another 5k players in the coming month, encounters are 9 times out of ten, if they are armed they will shoot you, and even when they arent armed they will try knock you out for what you have, even if you both have nothing they mostly just want to beat you to death for the sake of it, or they really want a different color tshirt or your flashlight battery, this game is a PVP slaughter fest, simple as that. 

My group of 4 friends tends to get wiped pretty easily because of how loud and unorganized we are. Better chance of surviving with just 2 actually.

We also don't seek out encounters, so getting ambushed is common.

Probably just biased, but being grouped has its downsides.

Stick to empty servers man, only way you get a "zombie survival horror" out of this game, or infected should i say since these arent even zombies, but you go in a server with people 3 out of 30 will probably be ok. The rest are just killers and people hunters. They need to change the store page for this game, nothing zombie or survival about it as it stands now, its just a PVP slaughterfest, would of bothered with the shootemups in the past 10 year if i wanted to play one of these. Ignore the people "dissing" you, they only know one way of playing games, group up and kill other groups (or loners) since thats all the vast majority has ever done. In a "real life" event of civilization collapse however,  these people would be the ones begging for help first and be dead within the first two week if tesco shut. 

Oh I know. Half these people are stating its my lack of adequate gaming skill is the reason I'm dieing to groups only, which makes sense considering I have never died to a solo player >_>. I know this because I've killed all the solo players who "tried" to sneak up on me in self defense or successfully ran away or stayed hidden from them. I do play stealthily, I try not to get seen, and when I do, I can usually sneak/run away from people without taking any fire, and If I cant get away without taking fire, I can get the kill even though that's not how I enjoy playing. 

I've died plenty no doubt, like I said I'm no way near the best. But I'm sure not the worst. And I can definitely shoot in this game. I have no problem defending myself from solo players or disorganized groups. But groups that know what they are doing, groups that are patient, and skilled. You don't know you've been spotted, you still look out for anyone, but you won't spot or hear them. You go into your last building and you don't even know it. They all converge hidden in the buildings outside. The moment you leave the door they light you up. No robbery or anything fun like that, just death from M4 spray in multiple directions.

My idea was that I was playing DayZ, a zombie survival game, not participating in the Alamo. I simply had the wrong idea when buying the game.

• Like 1

Oh I know. Half these people are stating its my lack of adequate gaming skill is the reason I'm dieing to groups only, which makes sense considering I have never died to a solo player >_>. I know this because I've killed all the solo players who "tried" to sneak up on me in self defense or successfully ran away or stayed hidden from them. I do play stealthily, I try not to get seen, and when I do, I can usually sneak/run away from people without taking any fire, and If I cant get away without taking fire, I can get the kill even though that's not how I enjoy playing. 

I've died plenty no doubt, like I said I'm no way near the best. But I'm sure not the worst. And I can definitely shoot in this game. I have no problem defending myself from solo players or disorganized groups. But groups that know what they are doing, groups that are patient, and skilled. You don't know you've been spotted, you still look out for anyone, but you won't spot or hear them. You go into your last building and you don't even know it. They all converge hidden in the buildings outside. The moment you leave the door they light you up. No robbery or anything fun like that, just death from M4 spray in multiple directions.

My idea was that I was playing DayZ, a zombie survival game, not participating in the Alamo. I simply had the wrong idea when buying the game.

Spot on, me and my lass play this together, so we are only two. Whether we are armed unarmed, back pack or no back pack, bullets fly. BUt yeah the people hunters are total as*hol*s, had one 3 man team that took out my lass from outside the window, she had virtually nothing. A childs back pack i think balck tshirt jeans and a flatcap lol., i saw them when i poked my head through the door wondering who had killed her and i saw two out the window. Fully geared, army troopers i believe they were. lol. I ran down a gully with bullets whizzing past, then i rounded on them, went round the back where they had been, no sign, went to the nearest police station, werent there, then i heard someone eating out back of it in the bushes, i drew weapon and .... server reset. AHHHHHHHHHHHH :). One or two things like this would be fun, somthing different, but its not. Its just a slaughter fest with some irritating infected thrown in. Gonna be keeping our eye on 7days to die and the dead linger i think. This looks beyond hope already. 

• Like 1

But groups that know what they are doing, groups that are patient, and skilled. You don't know you've been spotted, you still look out for anyone, but you won't spot or hear them. You go into your last building and you don't even know it. They all converge hidden in the buildings outside. The moment you leave the door they light you up. No robbery or anything fun like that, just death from M4 spray in multiple directions.

Bro your not alone in dieing to those groups, everybody would die to properly organized and coordinated group hence the stratigical advantage in numbers and firepower.

• Like 1

being a game that is going for realism.. I can only say 'of course groups will be better than solo play'. That's what it would be like in real life. There are downsides to groups as well, imagine gearing up 10 people instead of one. A group kills one guy that has a gun, but there are 10 people missing a gun, 9 of them will have put in effort for nothing and will think groups are unfair.. it takes a lot more effort to keep a group happy etc. So it should be more rewarding. Also groups are easier to avoid, try being stealthy in a group it's not easy. So they should be easier to avoid if you're running solo, u just stealth around and keep an eye on them until they go away.

Way I see it there are pluses and minuses with both solo and groups. It's easy to be upset when you get killed by 10 people, but isn't that valid in real life as well?

• Like 1

This is pretty much how DayZ is. You cannot got into a firefight if you're alone, I mean you can, but you will most likely die as you have already observed.
A good team can get out of a quite a pickle, even if there's two of you. Last night I got into a firefight with another group with only my friend. He survived because I gave him medical help (got shot and knocked out, I bandaged him, gave him adrenaline and saline). If I went in solo I'd die as would he.

In regards to VOIP software - it is always used in group play, regardless of the game. You really can't do anything about it. 

Find a group or be a ghost avoiding populated areas. You really can't go into open war if you're alone and expect to live. I made that mistake before multiple times.

Edited by NexDemise
  • Like 1

Now I know what rocket meant when he said DayZ was fundamentally flawed. Whether he meant in this specific way or not. 

Dean Hall's original comment from Eurogamer:

"I feel like DayZ is a fundamentally flawed concept," he went on, "and I've always recognised that. It's not the perfect game; it's not the multiplayer experience, and it never can be, [with] the absolute spark that I want in it."

Hall clarifies that comment via reddit:

"Just because DayZ was commercially successful does not mean it is the perfect multiplayer game.

We can make DayZ absolutely perfect, seamless, optimized, and running fantastic in every way - and it in my eyes it will not be the ultimate multiplayer game."

---

Hall is an ambiguous fellow. A man of many riddles. Nobody really knows what he means half the time, these comments included.

I am pretty sure he wasn't referring to groups of people killing lone wolfs though. Killing and getting killed are core aspects of the game. It makes surviving mean something. This is an intended feature.

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 1

If you're dying to groups, you're doing something wrong. It's completely unrelated to winning 1 on 1 gun fights. 

Solution: Roll in a group. Everyone rolls in groups. I'd rather be killed by a group than to glitches, man.

• Like 1

My many enjoyable DayZ experience is what gives me hope for the future and what will make me want to come back one day. Its interesting how some experiences you can have while playing, can feel like they taint any past and future experiences you could have with the game. I have met some very bad manipulative people while playing DayZ, and experienced some all new human lows, even for the internetz. :(

Yeah, I'd give it some time. I'm doing that myself. I think the unintentional failure was in adding all the terrible ways to screw with other players almost from the start, but offering little to no constructive play as of yet. They basically set out a beacon for the sociopaths and not much else, so even reasonable people are defaulting to annoying game play out of boredom or frustration at what is happening to them.

Walkie talkies...Outside VOIP makes no difference when it's been working in game for months..

Ive used them plenty. Anytime we find a friendly survivor who want's to team up we just hand them a walkie and we turn ours on. If they feel so inclined or are invited to they join our external VOIP program.

Thing is though with walkies you can hear when someone talking to someone else just like in RL. But we normally cut coms. Even in our VOIP cause you want to hear whats going on in game.

I don't know if you have ever watched a Dayz video on youtube 99% of groups are screaming at each other and laughing none stop so you have a large advantage.

My group wouldn't be the type to KOS you or track and kill but we are they type your talking about aka a bunch of Arma players running in a around tactical formation while calling out targets in degrees..

Truly what it comes down to is knowing your surroundings and staying out of high traffic area's. The groups your talking about frequent airfields,military bases,coast,coastal towns.

Stay out of those and you wont have a problem.

Ive had a character last 20 days in game before dieing. All solo minus the random "Hero's" who wanted to team up for bit here and there. By that point dieing is refreshing..

Edited by RyBo

Get better or find people to play with.

It's a multiplayer game so it rewards teamplay - surprise, eh?

Or just be more carefull. I die more often when playing with teammates than when I run solo. How? I'm bloody carefull, when I'm on my own. No derping on airfields or major cities. Get your sh*t and get out, never shoot zombies, use melee.

I'm so sick of these whiny babies.  It's a survival game.  Not a dress up your character and collect a bunch of shit game.  Your pissed off because you get killed by bands of well armed, well organized bandits?  Well who do you think you should be killed by?  No one? 

How do you not notice you're being stalked by six people?

I don't understand how people don't get the PvP KoS aspect of this game.  Literally the first thing I ever heard about this game was that other players would kill you for beans or sport.  The first video I watched consisted of a gang of bandits driving some bambis into the woods and making them fight to the death.  It's a core part of the game.

What do people want to do?  Collect hats?

What do people want to do?  Collect hats?

Don't diss on my hats bro.

I'm so sick of these whiny babies.  It's a survival game.  Not a dress up your character and collect a bunch of shit game.  Your pissed off because you get killed by bands of well armed, well organized bandits?  Well who do you think you should be killed by?  No one? 

Watch it. Be nice around here.