BeefBacon

Alarm traps

Saw some threads on lethal traps like spike pits and nail bombs, but nothing like this.

The idea is simple. Players can craft traps out of empty tin cans, string, broken glass, whatever and then lay them down in front of a door or something. They go away and start looting the building they're in or snipe or whatever it is that they do. If somebody comes into the house and they walk over the trap, then the sound of crunching glass or clinking cans will alert the guy who is looting/sniping.

Of course it'll also alert the guy who just came in, as they will suspect that whoever laid the trap is probably still in the building.

It'd also be nice if doors made a sound when opening.

• Like 4

The idea is simple. Players can craft traps out of empty tin cans, string, broken glass, whatever and then lay them down in front of a door or something. They go away and start looting the building they're in or snipe or whatever it is that they do. If somebody comes into the house and they walk over the trap, then the sound of crunching glass or clinking cans will alert the guy who is looting/sniping.

I don't see why not - as it's in the mod already for a few patches. :beans:

When they talked about a environment you can interact with in a significant way, this came to my mind.

Take my beans :), i want to surround my future base with cans so i know if dirty little bandits are coming to join the parties.

Also if animals walk to my tin-can-alert-system-7000,they may cause some panic when i think its bandits xD

>:(

I really dislike trip wire.
Due to animation/collision it would be a pain to successfully vault over even if clearly noticed.
Broken glass would only work on concrete/hard ground.
It's just sound like a gift feature for lone sniper camping in the same building for hours...

I would be more in environmental "alarm trap" that players cannot handle : you are in a forest and about twenty meters behind you hear flaps birds sound flying away...or you are outside of the forest and about 100m ahead you see birds suddenly flying off canopy.

qwZAVAN.jpg

Was it a wild boar, a zombie, or another survivor ?
It may vanish the surprise but not mystery.

• Like 2

I was about to open the very same topic

Due to animation/collision it would be a pain to successfully vault over even if clearly noticed.

Well not really. Assume you spot it (shouldn't be that easy anyway), you TAB and "deactivate" it in the vicinity panel.

It's just sound like a gift feature for lone sniper camping in the same building for hours...

You got a point here. 

Wouldn't be the only usage though. I personally have, at least once in a session, a timespan in which

i need to reload, eat, reorder my inventory and the such of those. This is how i would use it.

About that lone sniper, he would anyway take his risk, as anyone could notice the trap and immediately realize there's fresh meat somewhere inside

Well not really. Assume you spot it (shouldn't be that easy anyway), you TAB and "deactivate" it in the vicinity panel.

It would imply issues too, I'm sure you already miss floating loot or on top of cabinet. Maybe because vicinity work on the same (X,Y) Z coord. It would be impossible -or bugged- to defuse if settled on a step.

Also detection vicinity work  as a perimeter around object/players (inner circles), it's perfect for little objects but not for 2 or 3 (or more) meters in lenght object. You could defuse it from that lenght away, or if coded differently only on its center (undefusable at each ends), both aren't good.

And last but not least, just to set on a such tripwire would be awful (check "barbed wire" from DayZ mod) : Floating or distorted model according to terrain, would going throught walls, unable to rotate, etc...