brazorf

Endless running - stamina/fatigue?

I think the weight of your gear should matter a lot more. If people want to carry 5 rifles they should be able to, but with a movement penalty. Some people may prefer to move slower with heavy gear while others prefer to stay light weight and only carry a hand gun. Right now there's no reason for me not to choose the fully equipped M4 with 10 magazines and a bulletproof vest. Making weight play a bigger part in the game would also open up for things like hand wagons, wheelbarrows and donkeys. That could lead to interesting options for bandits, traders and doctors.   

I really hope that a proper well thought out stamina/encumbrance system is put in the game at some stage. It should be an important part of any survival game. Project Zomboid actually has a really simple, effective encumbrance system:

Carrying a lot makes you tire quicker, being tired reduces accuracy, run speed decreases, your breathing attracts zombies and you cannot use heavy melee weapons effectively. Carrying massive amounts means you run really slow with the chance of causing yourself a back injury.

It would make the map feel bigger, and would encourage forming groups because you could chat on the long journeys. (maybe that's being naively optimistic...)    

dean has talked about this already

I would like to propose to remove the unlimited sprinting in dayz that is currently active, I remember (going old vet now) that in the mod that map seemed way bigger, but this was due to the fact that most of the time you where jogging instead of running. At this moment players are just cars, and their thirst level is the gas meter. Dayz had much more of a "real" (to a limit) feel when people had to rest now and then to catch their breath. I remember being with a squad of six people, all out of breath and deciding to put up a temporary camp to catch our breath, while catching our breath we took time to cook our meat and prep other stuff for the travels.

I think it would enhance the feel of the game play more.

Secondly being out of breath made your aim inaccurate (also in current dayz) but also forced the player to jog and if the player wanted to sprint again, then he had to walk/sit and rest to catch their breath. This would again put the sitting option to an actual use.

Now this will of course slowdown the pacing of the travel in-game, but I think it will be for the better good, then the vehicles would have a legit reason to come back. Why would you risc a noisy car when you can travel the same distance in 15 min in silence on foot?

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

Were you there from day 1 of the standalone? Because it was very much like you're saying, to the point where you'd die if you kept running and ignoring the warning signs of exhaustion from constant running.

But I think at the moment that function is turned off, maybe because there are no vehicles and because so many bambis bitched about not being able to run continually.

Hopefully realism will make a return when the game develops further. 

Since there is no other way to get around the map, it would be rather annoying if they nerfed the only way to get to places quickly. When vehicles and things get added, sprinting should be faster but also very tiring and make your character breathe very loud, thus attracting zombies, etc. Maybe as your character sprints more they get tired less as their body develops more muscle?

Running crouched ? With a gun, pistol, axe a backpack full of stuff and all you clothes full of more stuff ? Superman much ? Your thighs would give up after 5 minutes and walking up the stairs would be your worst nightmare. 

• Like 1

Were you there from day 1 of the standalone? Because it was very much like you're saying, to the point where you'd die if you kept running and ignoring the warning signs of exhaustion from constant running.

But I think at the moment that function is turned off, maybe because there are no vehicles and because so many bambis bitched about not being able to run continually.

Hopefully realism will make a return when the game develops further. 

Not literally day one, but I played it from a very early stage, it had almost no features, only zombies and simple loot spawn :p.

Why do people only think about how it would be easier to play a game?

I, honestly, don't share the love for vehicles. I find it much more pleasant to walk through the beautiful countryside, see all the stuff myself and make this whole another adventure. It is so short-sighted to think vehicles will be Gods gift. You are more likely survive on foot than on bicycle. Cars are still far away, shouldn't even think about that yet.

Come on! The best part of the apocalipse is taking rich people's stuff.

I, think it should simply be your running speed. The more you carry, are hungry/dehydrated/wet/cold, the lower your running speed is. Also obviously having a weapon in hand should have an impact too. Having a rifle in your hands will impact your ability to catch a guy with nothing in his hands.

Also stairs, inclines, etc...

Edited by Lady Kyrah

All this stuff fits in here too:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/191606-running-speed-depending-on-clothing-and-equipment/

I'll summarize:

- Sport shoes, running shorts, t-shirts, etc. could improve the running speed
- All the equipment has a certain weight, and the character gets slower depending on the carried weight
- Rubber boots are also not good for running, so they should slow down too
- The bigger the backpacks get the slower you can run

Maybe when vehicles are implemented, but to walk from one side of the map to the other, no thanks.

They likely won't add fatigue in that way.  What they can do (and may be planning to do at some point) is have energy burn-off rate be dependent on movement speed.  If you run, you're going to be hungrier and thirstier sooner and you will burn off energy faster... worse so if you sprint.  At the moment, there's really no difference between walking, running and sprinting in terms of food/water/energy burn.  I hope they eventually add equipment weight to that, as well.

Of course, the nutrition system appears to have been re-vamped again in the latest build... at least the starting values as a new spawn... so, who knows?

Yes something like this should be implemented along with shaky hands for aiming.

It might be worth pointing out that in a never ending game, why is everyone in a rush to get somewhere - nobody walks at all but in RL that's exactly what you'd be doing.

• Like 1

no thanks - look the terrible stamina in arma 3   pls nooooooo -  and  run or fast walk is a little differend.   you can not run all the time with a weapon ^^ 

stamina systrem is only good for the pvp sniper kids for kill you !!!!

Edited by Crusader78

A stamina and weight system is absolutely vital to the game.

#1 it adds importance on vehicles

#2 it adds another layer to how players decide to play lightly geared and long distance or heavily geared and armored and short distanced.

Player enjoyment needs to take a backseat in this argument as it is not important.

Gameplay is and gameplay suffers from the unreal tournament style movement in stand alone due to the lack of any stamina or weight system.

In order to put such a system in dayz seems realively simple , assign weight values to every item in the game, and the heavier your player is the faster he fatigues and the heavier the player the slower his jog and sprint speed is.

• Like 1

stamina not a must, but i think if character after a long run, he will feel thirsty or hunger, then u need to eat or drink to recover, i think is quite reasonable and make the food or drink more important

Add stamina/fatigue already, I want to play DayZ not Unreal Tournamet (UT is great but if I want UT I play UT and when I want survival I go for DayZ :D )

• Like 1

I would wait for vehicles to come out before this is implemented otherwise it is a great idea!

I would love to see a weight mechanic added or a stamina mechanic I remember reading that it was planned and haven't heard or read anything about it sense are they waiting till vehicles are added or are they just not going to do it. its actually the one mechanic I'm waiting on I think it would add another challenge to the game making you choose what to carry and with stamina it would make you move slower or at least not so YOLO. I'm sure some will hate it but if the game is to be authentic then it needs to be done. maybe they could add something to make your guy stronger like roids or carrying more weight a lot will give you more strength so you can hence haul more shit.

I should not be able to carry all the crap I have on my person now let alone full sprint from one end of the map to the other without stopping except to be nosey and loot towns. this is all just opinion but if anyone has heard anything it would be great to hear some news on this subject. I looked for the topic in the search option and seen no-one posting if I missed it sry but none the less heres another post.

• Like 1

Add stamina/fatigue already, I want to play DayZ not Unreal Tournamet (UT is great but if I want UT I play UT and when I want survival I go for DayZ :D )

I agree. Being able to run around the map at a 22 mph sprint indefinately is just so unrealistic, let alone with a stuffed backpack.

My hope is that they not only tweak running speeds to account for how much gear you are carrying, but that they also add a stamina/fatigue system to cut down on marathoning. The amount of gear you are carrying should also affect how quickly your stamina drops while doing certain actions (running mostly).

Also, a hard cap on how much a character can carry really is built into the game since containers can only carry so much. The only thing that may be needed is to scale movement speed down to the point of the character moving like a turtle if he is carrying an excessive amount of gear.

Obviously, some people may disagree with the above opinion; but what it does do is put some importance on players working with a group so that solo players must make choices...and players that work in groups have an advantage of being able to have access to more tools (since they can share).

Since this topic showed up, I'll put in my two cents ^^

I think its pretty obvious that any of this needs to wait for vehicles. Without them there would basically be no way to get across the map. Walking any distance would be a huge chore. So would trying to meet your friends. There would just be no option for getting anywhere at a decent speed, and that really isn't a good idea.

However, after vehicles? I love the idea of a weight system. Choosing carefully what you keep and what you leave is an excellent idea. It adds another layer of thought to what gear you're packing, and that's awesome. I particularly loved the idea of your Sprint petering out as you get more and more tired, and the idea of adrenaline bringing it back up.Growing tired as time goes on, needing to take a rest or else suffer the consequences? Great. I love that too Same with wet clothing weighing more than dry. And same with heavily geared players not being able to outrun a zombie.

I would like to say though, In experimental right now, Sprinting burns your hunger and thirst bars at a decent rate (it was even higher in the patch before, but that must have been for testing?) And it wears your shoes out faster, though I think they may have overnerfed this, we'll see after a bit. There is also the weapon sway as mentioned. So its not like there are absolutely no consequences to running anymore.

Of course, a lot of those posts were rather old, and im a new player, so a fair amount of that stuff must have been added a while back. But its worth mentioning it, for people reading the thread.

Oh, I forgot to mention! I also like the idea of a players stamina and strength building over time. If they maintain a healthy state and are running a lot or carrying a lot, they should build muscle! (I also think being ina  healthy state should boost you speed overall anyway)

Edited by snwh

The run speed is ridiculous, the infinite stamina is ridiculous and the "do not change the run/stamina before vehicles are introduced" is just plain stupid.  I don't think most of you get it.  Cars are not going to be laying around everywhere for you to just get in and drive.  You're going to need to find parts to get the vehicles working and gas.  This isn't GTA.

Running for half an hour in combat gear is doable, running for hour in light gear is doable. Running hour with having two rifles, backpack full of stuff, molle-vest full of stuff and all your clothes filled with stuff is quite difficult. Obviously it depends how fast you run but right now it is unbalanced for sure.least.

FYI it is possible to do 80km with full gear in one day ;) Although I doubt that this is realistic for our survivors.

Anyway, I said it before and I'll say it again. IMO until we get vehicles there should be no changes to this mechanic.

Edited by Mor