JiJi (DayZ)

Unknown natural ingame ressources

DayZ flora include interesting plant for surviving.
Everything is already in the game, just waiting some code tricks to add nice features.  

Currently there are sambucus & canina berries.
Of course we know pumpkin and apple tree (even if not working at this time)

But there are also almost unknown plants I have found :

####################################################################################

Coprinus comatus ("shaggy inkcap")

EPfx17g.jpg

Edible mushroom (but quite perishable).Raw, or cooked with water (soup) or rice (risotto).

Low calorific value-added but still better than nothing.

bB6VFFl.png

####################################################################################

Fomes fomentarius ("tinder fungus")

utV2X4n.jpg

I don't know if campfire will need fire starter such ingame : alcohol tincture, gas, paper sheet, paper from book...

However, if fire starter required, amadou collected from Fomes fomentarius would be a great alternative.

lr4V0uV.png

Salix caprea ("goat willow")

oRndVZa.jpg

Like every Salix its bark could be collected, crushed, and boiled long time.
Extract after evaporation are crystals of salicylin, which is unrefined aspirin.
Antipyrtic & Anti-inflammatory.
This powder could be a painkiller substitute.

NXIY43U.png

Urtica dioica ("nettle")

IBDYGQW.jpg

A nettle soup would hydrate (but just because of water added for recipe) and is poor calorific value...
But Urtica dioica is rich in vitamins C, A, iron, potassium, manganese, calcium, flavonoid, phenolic acids, etc...
This meal could be an alternative to conventional vitamins supplement.

Iew897M.png

My suggestion?

Don't let be just eyecandy things. Improve survival.

• Like 23

Yes I like it ! Could definitely be a good easy way to add a bunch of items to the cooking survival area :0

I like the idea. I think the tree farm things at Berenzino could also drop some kind of fruit. Maybe there could also be overgrown gardens that were there before the infection happened too. The gardens could spawn like pumpkins and other things that could grow in Chenarus.

Edited by Jasonperson
  • Like 1

I like the idea to use the enviroment more. Those would be very handy if you're not able to find painkillers or vitamins from buildings :)

fantastic job mate! care if i make a link to reddit?

Edited by joe_mcentire

A most excellent suggestion.

We could use herbalism ingame as a

means of survival.Can't wait for this to happen.

I am with you on the suggestion. The plants have huge part in survival in reality, why not integrate the system in the survival game.

Using mushrooms is so and so thing. They contain little to none nutritional value so eating them or making soup out of them would add a filled stomach feeling but for a short time only, maybe? Or something like that, making it a good alternative if you were starving but on your way to find more valuable food source.

Great idea, that makes survival in nature possible. Must be careful thought to make it a weaker alternative than getting their processed counterparts. It also has to be long and somewhat difficult (requiring cooking pot, fire, knife, ingredients, ...) to make or else it'll break realism and make this rpg-ish (potion brewing that is better than what you can find and faster than finding them in towns)

Great blah blah blah you can read it upstairs, i just wanna tell that's i will finally lern a few herbs(i hate to remember them)

If they have nettles in game they must also have dock leafs as well.  Not only does it ease the pain of a nettle sting it doubles up as toilet paper for when they finally get around to making us need a Barry...

does not forget plantain/goose-grass.

That would be definetely COOL, and hermits wouldnt need to go to villages to scavenge as commonly as they do now! Just loved the touch of survival in there mate, and dont forget about NON-edible plants so people might eat (use) the wrong plant for somethin and get sick or maybe even dying (in extreme cases)

I'm hungry for nettle bread. Grandmom used to make that onomnonmonm. :beans: