king_of_the_beans

Does patch .43 mean we are about half way through the alpha?

So I am not sure if anyone took this to observation but this is patch .43 now assuming that 1.00 is the day that DayZ gets out of alpha does that mean we are half way there or the numbers don't serve any significance.

So I am not sure if anyone took this to observation but this is patch .43 now assuming that 1.00 is the day that DayZ gets out of alpha does that mean we are half way there or the numbers don't serve any significance.

The Early Access released in December 2013, we're not pretty much exactly a quarter of a year later in March. Officially the Beta was supposed to start in December 2014. So I would think we're a mere quarter there to Beta, not halfway.

The Early Access released in December 2013, we're not pretty much exactly a quarter of a year later in March. Officially the Beta was supposed to start in December 2014. So I would think we're a mere quarter there to Beta, not halfway.

Well you do make a point but most of the time updates will keep going till 1.0 and then will transition to the Beta. The dates are not set in stone so anything is subject to change.

No. There could be 500 Patches between .43 and .44 and then only 1 after that until 1.0 release. They mean nothing other than to keep track of what order they released.

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 1

Well you do make a point but most of the time updates will keep going till 1.0 and then will transition to the Beta. The dates are not set in stone so anything is subject to change.

The dates are more set, than the versionnumbers. The numbers just cumulate and it doesn't mean we'll even hit 0.999 and then go to 1.0 and even if that happens that doesn't mean that the Beta has released. It can also always mean that when 1.0 releases that that 1.0 is referring to Alpha, meaning we have passed Very Early Access and are just in Early Access, as 1.0 of an Alpha would be the actual Alpha, not the Beta - if you know what I mean?

I am merely saying that I wouldn't get my hopes up too far with the versionnumbers, you might just get disappointed.

Version numbers have nothing to do with time.

• Like 2

Aye.  The numbers just mean that's the current version with 0. being alpha/beta/prerelease.  When it releases it'll be 1.x.  It is not a metric, it can go 0.99999999999999999 and not update to 1.0, same with after release, it wont go from 1.9 to 2.0 (2.0 would be a 'sequel' rather than an update) it'll just go to 1.10

I don't actually care much about getting out of Alpha, the way DayZ has set up the game makes it feel like a full game already... I really don't think DayZ will get a huge amount of sales when it gets into beta/full release...

Aye.  The numbers just mean that's the current version with 0. being alpha/beta/prerelease.  When it releases it'll be 1.x.  It is not a metric, it can go 0.99999999999999999 and not update to 1.0, same with after release, it wont go from 1.9 to 2.0 (2.0 would be a 'sequel' rather than an update) it'll just go to 1.10

I don't actually care much about getting out of Alpha, the way DayZ has set up the game makes it feel like a full game already... I really don't think DayZ will get a huge amount of sales when it gets into beta/full release...

I completely agree, at this point we're just all part of a huge production that will have a lot of great content release in the future. I'm just looking forward to what's next, not release at all.

Yeah they did a great job of having all kinds of items in the game that don't actually have a use yet because the features for them isn't yet implemented. Really makes it feel like a finished full release game.

They won't get huge amounts of sales in beta/full because everyone who wants the game already owns it. They already pretty much reached the same amount of sales as there were people in the mod which I'm sure is a crap ton more than they were expecting to get.

Edited by Weedz

Yeah they did a great job of having all kinds of items in the game that don't actually have a use yet because the features for them isn't yet implemented. Really makes it feel like a finished full release game.

Love dat sarcasm, Bruh. Seriously, it feels like a full release game compared to other really crappy games.

What I feel the dev team isn't going to understand is that 1.0 means release. It means completion, version one. It is done. At the rate we're going, the full game should be released by the end of the year. Not that it will, but in terms of numbering it might.

What I feel the dev team isn't going to understand is that 1.0 means release. It means completion, version one. It is done. At the rate we're going, the full game should be released by the end of the year. Not that it will, but in terms of numbering it might.

No, it is not. It is going to be released end of 2015, beginning 2016. We're in Alpha. Then comes Beta by the end of the year, then comes release.

And I don't think you understand how it works. 1.0 doesn't mean release.

No, it is not. It is going to be released end of 2015, beginning 2016. We're in Alpha. Then comes Beta by the end of the year, then comes release.

And I don't think you understand how it works. 1.0 doesn't mean release.

"Not that it will, but in terms of numbering it might."

And yes, 1.0 does mean release. 0.anything means not taking the first step. 1.0 is the first step. 1.0 is retail.

Edited by omgwtfbbq

And yes, 1.0 does mean release. 0.anything means not taking the first step. 1.0 is the first step. 1.0 is retail.

Says who now? We can always change to version-# 1.0.0 when a major patch arrives. The mod is in version. 1.8.0.3 - and technically it's still in Alpha.

1.0.0 doesn't mean it has to release. One could also release with a later version. The build-# could also have started at 1.0, which would mean we would be in build-# 1.43 now. Noone says 1.0 has to be release.

Says who now? We can always change to version-# 1.0.0 when a major patch arrives. The mod is in version. 1.8.0.3 - and technically it's still in Alpha.

1.0.0 doesn't mean it has to release. One could also release with a later version. The build-# could also have started at 1.0, which would mean we would be in build-# 1.43 now. Noone says 1.0 has to be release.

The DayZ mod being in version 1.8, while still being referred to as an alpha though it will never be "finished", justifies my thinking that the dev team doesn't understand how version numbering works. 

Edited by omgwtfbbq

The DayZ mod being in version 1.8, while still being referred to as an alpha though it will never be "finished", justifies my thinking that the dev team doesn't understand how version numbering works. 

You have no clue what you're talking about. Version numbers mean absolutely nothing to a game's players other than to show what order they came out in. Every developer also uses their own version numbers not some pre-set list of what you need to do. Minecraft had three Version 1.0 at the start of Alpha the start of Beta and when it released. The fact that you think the game is going to be V-1.0 and done by the end of the year because they started at .29 and the current patch is .43 clearly shows you are the one who doesn't understand version numbering ... or even basic math. At the end of the year they could still be on patch .43.99999 and have released 5000 patches between now and then.

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Version_history/Alpha

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Version_history/Beta

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Version_history

Edited by Weedz

You have no clue what you're talking about. Version numbers mean absolutely nothing to a game's players other than to show what order they came out in. Every developer also uses their own version numbers not some pre-set list of what you need to do. Minecraft had three Version 1.0 at the start of Alpha the start of Beta and when it released. The fact that you think the game is going to be done by the end of the year because the current patch is .43 clearly shows you are the one who doesn't understand. At the end of the year they could still be on patch .43.99999 and have released 5000 patches between now and then.

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Version_history/Alpha

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Version_history/Beta

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Version_history

If they choose to go through the method of .43.9------, and full release still isn't out, then there can be no complaints.

My issue here, is there are two methods of using "1.0" as a version number:

First, is the release date of the game, or when the developers feel it is officially completed to their liking.

Second, is the beginning of development.

DayZ appears to be taking the primary route by starting with version .1, it is logical to conclude that 1.0 will be the release version number. If the version number is arbitrary in relation to development progress, why continue to publicize it?

They didn't start at .1 they started at .29.113680 so again I say you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

And again like it has already been explained to you 15 times they publish the version number so people know what order the patches came out.

Edited by Weedz

They didn't start at .1 they started at .29.113680 so again I say you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

And again like it has already been explained to you 15 times they publish the version number so people know what order the patches came out.

Five seconds in, version .1. Also, relax, this is an internet discussion, not an argument.

Edited by omgwtfbbq

That is an in house version from a year before the game was released. The game released on the version I said. And you just proved your self an idiot. It took them over a full year to get from .11 to .43 and in your mind that means 1.0 will be out by 9 months from now ... dem math skillz

Edited by Weedz

That is an in house version from a year before the game was released. The game released on the version I said. And you just proved your self an idiot. It took them over a full year to get from .11 to .43 and in your mind that means 1.0 will be out by 9 months from now ... dem math skillz

They are using the first method I mentioned, being that 1.0 is full release. Beginning of development at all is version .1, as proved by the vlog from rocket. They didn't release the alpha to the public until later into the build. They didn't "start" at version .29, you were just allowed access at version .29.

They are using the first method I mentioned, being that 1.0 is full release. Beginning of development at all is version .1, as proved by the vlog from rocket. They didn't release the alpha to the public until later into the build. They didn't "start" at version .29, you were just allowed access at version .29.

That also doesn't show they started at .1 it shows that in Feb 2013 (~6 months after they started working on it) they were on .11 ... they could have started at 0.00.0096 if they wanted. There is a huge difference between .1 and 0.11.101617 .... which you would know if you had any idea what you're talking about.

Edited by Weedz

That also doesn't show they started at .1 it shows that in Feb 2013 (~6 months after they started working on it) they were on .11 ... they could have started at 0.00.0096 if they wanted. There is a huge difference between .1 and 0.11.101617 .... which you would know if you had any idea what you're talking about.

They started on version .1, and they announced the game by showing off a playable build. Constant berating will earn yourself a report.