Sign in to follow this  
BadContrakt

Standalone Priorities - The Big One

Ok, let me start off by saying: I have an interview I have to go to in about 15 minutes so this won't take too long.

Does anyone else feel as though the Dayz SA developers have their priorities way out of whack? I completely understand that this is an ALPHA - It's still just a fetus of a game - but my points are still valid.

Don't you think that getting the random zombie sounds, EXTREMELY POOR HOTKEY RESPONSE TIME/LAG, zombie wall collision, lighting, bugs of all kinds, characters getting deleted, weird mechanics, etc (if I had more time I would be more thorough with the problems but you get the picture) - Don't you think getting those things fixed and smoothed out is more important than something as menial as HUNTING. Like literally they keep on pushing new content and new mechanics and new items and new this new that but what is the point of having new stuff if the old stuff is still more broken than the BF4 release (OH BURN!)

Like I said I completely understand that this is alpha and they are working to smooth things out and I am actually quite impressed with the last update save the extreme server instability and input lag and downtime. I like the new items and the melee mechanics seem a little better and more polished but honestly. Fix the important shit that really sincerely needs attention before coming out with HUNTING. Who gives a fuck about hunting? Why would I want to eat a rabbit that makes zombie noises anyway? (BURN x2!!!!!)

Anyway, I really appreciate the SA and would choose it over the Arma mod ANY DAY but it seems to me that you might need to take a step back and check your white board and go hmmm... Maybe this could use a second look?

-Contrakt

• Like 9

No, because this is alpha and all those things you are talking about are for beta. 

Alpha=Adding all the features, fixing easy-to-fix bugs or game-breaking bugs(really game-breaking,like not bein able to respawn)

Beta=Fixing the resulting mess.

Edited by Gandolaf
  • Like 6

Dev roadmap is a complex thing, I have no doubt that they are working on the stuff we think is obvously broken but that doesnt mean its easy to add in the next patch or whatever. I have full trust on the Dev team to deliver on this game, its already a great game, the only I play lately (100+ hours now i think). All for €24? Life is good.

• Like 1

They don't prioritize these things because it's the adding of new content that creates these bugs.

Think of it this way: Would you wipe your ass before or after you took a shit?

EDIT: gonna need some ice for those burns.

Edited by blunce
  • Like 4

there are different teams.

One team designs weapons, one team fixes, one team works on X, the other teams worx on Y.

and they even said, not long ago, that they got some new people, who are only working on zombie-wall-issues or light-beam-bugs, dunno which. But they got new people just for one of this problem.

Taking a shit-thingy: A friend of mine says: 

Don't forget these things. Or do you also forget to put down the pants before taking a shit?

Edited by irishroy

I find incredibly amusing to hear people complain about a game who's development is only about 30% through alpha (aka the part where they put everything in the game).

you get my beans for those sweet sweet burns!

i approve of this post just because of that.

I find incredibly amusing to hear people complain about a game who's development is only about 30% through alpha (aka the part where they put everything in the game).

you mean the part where they stabalize the base mechanics...fail

alpha is not a content stage, they are just appeasing the whiney kids by adding shabby content.

whole team focus should be on fixing game breakers and core mechanics and performance, etc.

not adding various pistols and bowler hats

Edited by deebz1234
  • Like 1

Taking a shit-thingy: A friend of mine says: 

Don't forget these things. Or do you also forget to put down the pants before taking a shit?

This actually happened once :(

No, because this is alpha and all those things you are talking about are for beta. 

Alpha=Adding all the features, fixing easy-to-fix bugs or game-breaking bugs(really game-breaking,like not bein able to respawn)

Beta=Fixing the resulting mess.

Sorry but, this is total bullshit

• Like 1

ACDC, whenever i hear any song of theirs i always want to watch the film maximum overdrive. SO, alas, tonight is once again.. maximum overdrive :D. 

I think there should be money-back option. You dont like the game - OK. Its not single player you only play once or wice to finish the story line.Get your money back and buy game again when its finished. I played mod for 8 months allmost every day before SA, and I cant imagine zeds not going trough walls :)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_development

Please look up the definitions or alpha and beta before posting further.

"Beta

See also: Beta release

Beta is feature and asset complete version of the game, when only bugs are being fixed.[150][151] This version contains no bugs that prevent the game from being shippable.[150] No changes are made to the game features, assets, or code. Beta occurs two to three months before code release."

Your move

• Like 1

Soo whats the point of fixing something that could just be broken again when the next features added, so they can fix it again?, its not bullshit that's the way games are made.

Lol Aviza I was just about to hit Paste on that exact definition.

Edited by Ricky Spanish
  • Like 1

ACDC, whenever i hear any song of theirs i always want to watch the film maximum overdrive. SO, alas, tonight is once again.. maximum overdrive :D. 

is  there a movie from them?

need to see, must watch!

I like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jLyutQJx5M

(note. Your LEFT ear will enjoy this xD)

Edited by irishroy

@OP: I completely agree. You'd think fixing the core mechanics of the game would be top priority. Once the fundamentals are working smoothly, then add new content. Iron out the bugs the new content brings, then add more.

I don't see the point in adding everything in a clusterfuck and then figuring out all the bugs at once. Fixing them as they crop up makes much more sense.

• Like 1

@OP: I completely agree. You'd think fixing the core mechanics of the game would be top priority. Once the fundamentals are working smoothly, then add new content. Iron out the bugs the new content brings, then add more.

I don't see the point in adding everything in a clusterfuck and then figuring out all the bugs at once. Fixing them as they crop up makes much more sense.

Because when the new content is added after fixing the fundamentals, there's a high chance that the content they add could just mess them up again making twice the work.

is  there a movie from them?

need to see, must watch!

I like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jLyutQJx5M

(note. Your LEFT ear will enjoy this xD)

:) , maximum overdrive is a stephen king book/film. For its year its a great movie, all mechanically operated machines go aware" and start killing people everywhere and ACDC did the entire soundtrack. :D awesome film. 

So, let's move your process to an industry I have experience in. You are suggesting I paint the walls, then install the structural framing? madness man, utter madness.

Someone else said it before me, but I'll re-iterate. You add core features in first, to get the framework in place, then during Beta, you polish those core features (bug fixing etc). Why spend time fixing a bug in a core component, when you're not sure if the next addition to the core component is (or isn't) going to cause more bugs to crop up in the component you just debugged?

• Like 2

:) , maximum overdrive is a stephen king book/film. For its year its a great movie, all mechanically operated machines go aware" and start killing people everywhere and ACDC did the entire soundtrack. :D awesome film. 

ahhh, kk thanks

• Like 1

it seems like the devs have this plan:

step one

port the mod to the "new engine"

step two

put a price tag on it and grant "alpha acess"

step three

add minor junk as placeholders for months

step four

"optimize" the game

step five

release it "finished"

they are cramming shit into it to see if it will break the engine, so a delay in development can be justified

the game would have to be offline for MONTHS for optimization your talking about

if we can still play a "broken" product, it's technically not "broken"

I'm surprised at how many well thought-out responses this post got.

Edited by BadContrakt

I thought I posted this but apparently I didn't. Lemme retype it and see if I can remember what I said...

Back from my interview. I nailed that shit.

I'm surprised at how many well thought out responses I got on this post. I was fully expecting a bunch of kids to tell me that I'm a whiny little bitch. But hey maybe that's because I'm too used to the Blizzard games/forums where they're literally crawling with trolls (because children, especially infants) crawl (OH MEGGGGAAAA BURNNN!!)

Seriously though. Some of the posts brought up some good points and has given me more to think about while waiting for my server to catch up and stop lagging (mini burn!)

-Contrakt

EDIT: Well hey, my post showed up. Double posting for the win!

Edited by BadContrakt

Id think it would go, add base content (things like hunting, cooking, vehicles things like that), then get them all working without conflicting. Next pile in the content (cloths items, weapons ect) and optimise till its playable. The last thing in beta is balancing, Bug fixing and major optimisation. That's when id guess stuff like a laggy toolbar would be fixed.

That being said, I guess every team works differently  :)

Edited by Karmaterror