Sign in to follow this  
akafugitive

Gameplay Mechanics Pt5 - The Interface

HUD  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like in a HUD/UI/Inventory screen?

• One like this
    • One that displays less then this
    • One that displays more then this
    • Current in game is fine
    • Other (describe)
  2. 2. Would you like to see inventory boxes condensed & some items resized?

*Disclaimer* The following are my opinions of features I would enjoy seeing in the game, this thread is in no way intended to express negativity towards the current development or express ignorance towards current development plans. I am fully aware of what alpha or "work in progress" means, as such I am doing what is intended for alpha testing and making suggestions, not demands. Please keep feedback constructive, and on topic.

So a bunch of you have done your concepts of the "Tab" screen so I thought I would jump on board doing one. I am not as talented with picture editing as a lot of you guys so this is not represented for the art purpose, just functionality. I have included a few features in this that I could from my other suggestion threads.

Here is my basic design when opening the "Tab" menu:

OAud0EJ.jpg

Now to Explain:
HXxZLag.jpg
- Players name listed in the top left corner of the menu
- You can now see your avatar display as they are in the world (standing, crouched, eating, etc.). Background could be staged like start screen

- Top corner of the window allows you to quickly change from front to back view
- Avatar is fully intractable, drag on/off items, or click to open clothing/backpack
- If multi-layered gear comes into play, clothing covered by other clothing will need to be removed/unzipped so you can click on layer underneath to open it (eg: jackets worn over shirts)
- Bleeding texture from my Catastrophic Damage section displayed on shoulder
- Off hand slots from my Carrying Weapons section, Items using both hands display on both hand icons
- Hotbar no longer needs to be displayed outside of "Tab" menu due to it being non-intrusive when clothing/backpack inventories are not being accessed
- Thought History added to top of "Tab" menu so that only your current thought needs to be displayed when it is closed, cutting down screen clutter
- Status's display running down right side of the screen, multifunctional status's idea under Health section

View when opening an inventory item:
UXIVtb9.jpg

Now to Explain:
wx3oC76.jpg

- Obscures view of world (required focus)

- Popup windows that are movable and allow for multiple to be open at once (eg: open your backpack and empty the pockets of a pair of pants in the vicinity at the same time)

- Containers/cloths/etc. in the vicinity or your inventory will have a right-click option to "open container", "search pockets(front), "search pockets(back), etc.

- With individual pockets being limited to small items, having extra cloths like a pair of pants should allow the pockets to be filled and placed in a backpack (should also be resized to simulate being folded up)
- Clicking on the backpack will cause you to empty your hands, crouch, and animate removing your backpack and swinging it around to the front
- Clicking on your pants will cause you to empty your off hand only and animate you putting your hand on your pocket (front inventory separate from back)
- Clicking on your vest or shirt will cause you to empty your off hand only and animate you putting your hand on your chest (vest back slots eg: rucksack may not be used with a backpack)
- Moving will close container and cancel the animation (return backpack to back)
- Introduce individual compartments like displayed for the hunter backpack
- Holstering system from my Carrying Weapons section, could be expanded to allow gas lamps and frying pans to be attached as well as firearms, large melee weapons and tents
- Attaching a gas lamp to small straps can provide an area light while keeping your hands free
- Attaching a frying pan or helmet to small straps will make noise keeping dangerous wildlife at bay but attract infected
- Attaching large melee weapons, firearms and tents to long straps/forward sling/bottom straps will significantly increase the backpacks/vests weight
- Containers overall weight displayed on menu

"Tab" screen closed and contextual interaction menu's:

Player interaction menu (mouse scroll up/down/click)

h6WP5gR.jpg

Now to Explain:

8eHtNqL.jpg

WIP - More Coming soon

Some opened inventory screens (default grid size):

Cargo Pants
fJCnGZA.png\
back
0LUvbb1.png

BDU Jackets
2GaLoUZ.png

UK Assault Vest
DQzhdqn.png
back
WNGv0An.png

Plate carrier
nPkG8eZ.png

Resized inventory grid option:

Mags

m0AGj1d.png

Containers

OO1LdQb.png

Cargo Pants

LEh4CQE.png

BDU Jacket

NF2UxCG.png

UK assault vest

ivgdsyE.png

Hunting Backpack

ohuwdPu.png

If you liked this, also read/like/comment on these:
Gameplay Mechanics Pt1 - The Player
Gameplay Mechanics Pt1 - The Player(skills)
Gameplay Mechanics Pt2 - The Infected
Gameplay Mechanics Pt3 - Environment
Gameplay Mechanics Pt4 - The Weapons
DayZ - How it all began... (coming soon)

Edited by akafugitive
  • Like 5

Haha... Yeah I was Duping  ;). Good old Copy/Paste

Edited by akafugitive

Even though I like the idea of being able to fully use the molle-vest and like the idea of holsters and slings, I rather wouldn't see any distractions in my field of view.Completely HUD-free sight is what I enjoy.

Similar points could be adapted to current system though. That is, accessing the insides of your pockets or bag requires to open them (expand|collase even to keep it simple) and that would trigger the animation of unpacking backpack or freeing main hand to access pockets of vest?pants. Having to click on separate things to do that wouldn't be in my would-like-to-see-ingame-storybook.

this is designed as a replacement for the Tab menu, not a HUD. I still want to see no HUD at all when it is closed.

Having more complex actions in your inventory would help to prevent certain aspects I currently can do, like reloading an empty mag mid sprint while firing my weapon.

also this expansion on the inventory will almost certainly be necessary when we require carrying meds for illness, cooking supplys, matches, wood, stones, extra dry clothing, etc.

this is designed as a replacement for the Tab menu, not a HUD. I still want to see no HUD at all when it is closed.

Having more complex actions in your inventory would help to prevent certain aspects I currently can do, like reloading an empty mag mid sprint while firing my weapon.

also this expansion on the inventory will almost certainly be necessary when we require carrying meds for illness, cooking supplys, matches, wood, stones, extra dry clothing, etc.

I think fixing reloading issue would be with just adding animation of reloading mags and add a certain length to it.

I think it is little too distracting. I like it minus the picture of your survivor. Also, I would like if the bloodstains would rather be shown on your character accordingly to injured area.

Also, if I am camping in reality, I don't carry rocks or wood in my backpack. Fire-making supplies, cooking supplies. Rest you can find from the woods. I couldn't imagine that I should drag along a pile of rocks just to be able to make a fireplace.

Otherwise, the use of the space in your suggestion - I do like it. So beans for that.

Thanks for the beans.

I agree with most of your points. A lot of my suggestions are based on balancing reality with what the game can handle realisticly. Like you said you could rely more on the environment to collect and carry what is needed to build a fire, but in the game resources probably won't be as plentiful as they would in reality, you may find yourself needing to carry things you otherwise wouldn't. There is also the issue of not having the same connection of being able to make makeshift sleds to drag things for short distances, or load your arms up.bI have tried to keep these things in mind when building my ideas.

Edited by akafugitive

Even though I like the idea of being able to fully use the molle-vest and like the idea of holsters and slings

Here just for you:

nPkG8eZ.png

Here just for you:

nPkG8eZ.png

Something like this except the triple mag pouch actually fits 6 mags. Bigger ones even 9 but that would be too excessive.

Except from that, and that admin pouch fits little more, something along these lines I would like to see in the game. Also, pistol holsters attached to those vests.

:)

Something like this except the triple mag pouch actually fits 6 mags. Bigger ones even 9 but that would be too excessive.

Except from that, and that admin pouch fits little more, something along these lines I would like to see in the game. Also, pistol holsters attached to those vests.

:)

Yeah, I'm just doing single stacks for game purpose. I'm also military trained btw ;), I've just modified a few things to fit in the game better.

- Added Inventory Resize option

- Added poll

Edited by akafugitive

Ok I think its clever and elegant solution and I would be delighted to see something like this in arma 3 but I'm not that sure about dayz tbh. My concern would be the micromanaging when being jumped on by zombies exedra although I acknowledge the existence of the quick access toolbar.

It would be important to store low ammo mags in the correct ( side ) pouch aside of the full fresh magazines as players who would just mix them with full ammo mag would hear empty ''click click'' sound when inserting empty mag  

Ok I think its clever and elegant solution and I would be delighted to see something like this in arma 3 but I'm not that sure about dayz tbh. My concern would be the micromanaging when being jumped on by zombies exedra although I acknowledge the existence of the quick access toolbar.

It would be important to store low ammo mags in the correct ( side ) pouch aside of the full fresh magazines as players who would just mix them with full ammo mag would hear empty ''click click'' sound when inserting empty mag  

Yeah I would still want the reload feature to still prioritise full mags, the point of this UI along with the mechanics ideas I had is to actually limit the amount of time required in opening the "Tab" menu. I would like the majority of actions be done while the Tab UI is turned off and really is only required when you can stop and take a knee to sort your gear, fill mags, ammo counts, ect.

-Added one screen for player interaction menu when Tab menu is closed, more to come.

Edited by akafugitive

Agree. I think we should have more space and some item should be bigger.

I know it's a game but I don't believe a pair of handcuff keys or pens can be as big as a large canister of gas + gas lamp...

Pocket size should be specified, cause you can put a pistol, or a key + a pen + ammunition in your front pocket but not a canteen...

Ehi, remember in the mod when the inventory was a mess?

LETS GO BACK TO THESE DAYS!

^this idea in a nutshell