fox808

[GUIDE] Installation Guide (Steam, Retail, Mixed, Beta, Common Errors)

So..hey guys! After a long time reading trough this and other forums, I finally decided to ask by myself. The problem I have is the following:

I bought Arma II + OA a few weeks ago. Installed the DayZ mod correctly, and already had some fun. Today I decided, I wanna download the beta, because it was recommended by some friends of mine. I thought, "why not", so I did it, and installed, like the first post told me to do. But I have the same problem as some other guys, I guess. When I start the "Launch Arma 2 OA Beta Patch" file, I get 2 error messages at the start. And when I try to enter a server, it tells me: "You can not play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.cherarus".

I should have everything set up correctly, with the "-mod=@dayZ and -nosplash".

But I don't understand, how this beta thing is supposed to work anyways, since it's not CO, but OA. And well, to fix the problem, I would have to play CO, right? But this doesn't seem to work, if I wanna play the beta.

Help, anyone? :3

PS: I'm using the Steam Version, and if I don't try to run the beta, the game is all fine.

I have the same issue. From what I've learned CO is supposed to launch from AO .exe ever since 1.60. But this does not apply to steam users.

Problem is that with the steam version, launching ArmA2OA.exe (be it orginial or beta) will start vanilla OP Arrowhead instead of Combined OPS. To launch CO I must use steam, which does not have an any option to run the beta ArmA2OA.exe. A rather complicated workaround is is here, which involves replacing original .exe fooling steam into launching beta .exe and use -beta parameter to launch beta files (?).

Its rumored that there is a registry fix for steam users that makes CO launch from AO .exe, but Ive been unable to find it.

RETAIL INSTALLATION

1) Download both ARMA 2 and ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead

2) Make sure you install the latest patch for the retail version from http://www.arma2.com/supply/game-updates

I have a question.The patches. I have a copy I bought off of amazon. Do I need to do anything with beta patches? The link to the arma2 updates confuses me as well. There is a "reinforcements patch 1.60" that's 700MB in size. Do I just need that one patch after installing the game? Or do I need the "arma2 patch 1.11" that is 211mb in size as well?

Just curious if I need just one patch, two patches or both AND a beta patch?

Awesome site.

ARMA II Free + ARMA II Arrow Head ($19 USD) + DayZ does work!!

If you download the Free version of ARMA II (and saved $10 instead of buying CO) there is 1 folder and 1 file you must rename.

These instructions are based on my experience with ARMA II and steam!

ARMA II will not work after you make the changes, so if you want to play ARMA II (Not CO) ever again note the original names of the file and folder!

• *Before doing anything we must start ARMA II Free, every guide says to so do it first!
    *Now when you have had ARMA II to the menu screen and closed the game we need to go rename 1 file and 1 folder
    *Wander off to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\ (64bit users remember this is a 32bit app so itll be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common for you guys)
    *Rename arma 2 free folder to arma 2 then go into the folder
    *Rename ArmA2Free.exe to ArmA2.exe
    *Continue following the other guides on how to get DayZ working

Since you renamed your ARMA II folder, steam won't know where it is, this doesn't matter because when you're in steam click play on ARMA II ArrowHead then select Combined Operations!

The guide is great, BUT it does not explain how to install the beta patch when you are using Steam.

It is explained in this post here http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9314

I'd love to see the details from there added to the sticky so more steam people can have the beta patch installed, especially since 1.7.1 will need to have it installed.

That guide also doesn't tell you that you can still add the -no splash to the end of the launcher command.

My current launch command is this with the beta patch active, works fine.

-beta=Expansion\beta;ca;Expansion\beta\Expansion -mod=@DayZ -nosplash

Hope this helps some people!

(P.S) I made a forum account to add this to the sticky but my activation mail got put in the spam folder with Gmail, website devs might want to check that out!

Im getting error bin\config.bin/cfgweapons, tried so many fixes nothing is helping. Does anyone know of a fix

I couldn't get the beta to work after following every set of directions on earth...after watching this video i was up and running no problems. the only thing is that i dont have a steam overlay anymore but it's not really a problem as i mostly use TS to communicate. Hope this helps some people having trouble with the beta.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfo5UvaPABc

under 1 of the common errors: get "No entry 'bin\config.bin\CfgVehicles\'" or similar pop-up error message when launching the game or playing on a server.

it says that it does not affect gameplay but it does. I CANT EVEN PLAY DAYZ AT ALL BECAUSE OF IT!!! I need a solution... i used the six launcher to play and i did not download any files at all, just the launcher and the first time i used it it worked! then tommorow i wanna play and that error came up and i could never play again. Any solutions?

I've been trying to find get this damn thing to download all day. I'm using worom's thing to get them since I can't find a working US mirror. and I get the command window with all the text that flashes up for a second when I try and run ARMA: CO from Steam. Can somebody help me out

EDIT: okay so i followed the video step by step, right down to the battle eye thing, and I get error messages of "No entry 'bin\config.bin\CfgInGameUI/MPTable.shadow" and "Error compiling pixel shader PSSpecularAlpha:0"

Does anybody have any idea what the heck that means?

The retail version instructions dont work for me. Also you have steam file locations in that set of instructions, I adpated them and it still does not work. Any tips?

I couldn't get the beta to work after following every set of directions on earth...after watching this video i was up and running no problems. the only thing is that i dont have a steam overlay anymore but it's not really a problem as i mostly use TS to communicate. Hope this helps some people having trouble with the beta.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfo5UvaPABc

Doesn't work for me. I am still getting kicked from servers.

Current version is 1.7.1.2

I made a guide but yesterday i tried six updater, although the program isnt very user friendly it works like a charm, got issues with dayz after using sixupdater, then it probably got nothing to do with Dayz but everything with your computer, sorry.

"I get "No entry 'bin\config.bin\CfgVehicles\'" or similar pop-up error message when launching the game or playing on a server.

- Ignore it. It won't affect your game."

Not so. I started getting these errors yesterday out of blue. Was playing away, went to eat lunch, came back and couldn't get into any server as a result of this error. I tried for three hours. Yes, I ran as admin.

I'm sorry but the Retail version installation on here doesn't help at all since it is pretty much what you do if you get the game for Steam.

I installed the game and Day Z already using worrom updater. Unfortunately it won't install the Day Z 1.7.1 at all. It keeps getting an error. I was able to play this game fine until now.

I'm sorry but the Retail version installation on here doesn't help at all since it is pretty much what you do if you get the game for Steam.

I installed the game and Day Z already using worrom updater. Unfortunately it won't install the Day Z 1.7.1 at all. It keeps getting an error. I was able to play this game fine until now.

I think the people that are unable to play are using retail version. Me included. :(

I've been trying to find get this damn thing to download all day. I'm using worom's thing to get them since I can't find a working US mirror. and I get the command window with all the text that flashes up for a second when I try and run ARMA: CO from Steam. Can somebody help me out

EDIT: okay so i followed the video step by step' date=' right down to the battle eye thing, and I get error messages of "No entry 'bin\config.bin\CfgInGameUI/MPTable.shadow" and "Error compiling pixel shader PSSpecularAlpha:0"

Does anybody have any idea what the heck that means?

[/quote']

That means you do not have the beta parameter in your target line. add these parameters to your arma2oa.exe shortcut.

" -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -mod=@DayZ -nosplash"

minus the quotes but including the spaces.

Easiest solution. Just Download the DayZ Mod's recommended Six Updater. http://www.dayzmod.com/downloads.php

And play from the Six Launcher. There should be no reason to, and no one should have problems joining and playing. And yes....it automatically enables 1.7.1.1

I've succesfully updated with six updater and worrom multiple times. I still get kicked from every server.

There are multiple sort off kicks from server, can you give any more info on what the client says when it does it?

I've got a question,

i've bought the Arma 2 retail version and updated it to 1.11.

does the mod work, if i buy arma 2 OA on steam?

You can add a none steam game to steam trough one of the menus, i think with a bit of fiddling it should be possible.

I bought the game retail and now I have to buy it on steam so I can actually play DayZ? Come on now. This is not fun