Sign in to follow this  
Damnyourdeadman

Nonlethal shotgun ammo-Rock salt

Hey,everyone.

I was thinking about rock salt rounds.

They are not lethal,but they hurt like hell.

That's because the salt penetrates the skin layer and melts.

A good shot renders the victim incapable of moving 

A very good addition to nonlethal weponary.

Here's a video about it.

and bonus one: (i just rememberd)

Edited by Damnyourdeadman
  • Like 1

Personally, I like the idea, since villagers here use it (rock salt especially) to protect valuable crops from thiefs, like garlic, melons or poppies. And believe me there are a lot of people who guard their crops, and there are more than few cases that I heard of people got "salted".. So, yeah I think that this has a solid ground to appear in DayZ...

One problem I see is that it would still sound like a gunshot even though its non-lethal. While you might be trying to take the high road in not killing a player, if you start shooting at someone with anything I would assume most people would reciprocate with firing of their own at which point you're stuck trying to season them to death.

Even though it's slightly unrelated I would think pepper spray would be a good choice for non-lethal incapacitation. It would simply blur a players vision for four or five minutes.

Edited by Thirdthorpe
  • Like 2

One problem I see is that it would still sound like a gunshot even though its non-lethal. While you might be trying to take the high road in not killing a player, if you start shooting at someone with anything I would assume most people would reciprocate with firing of their own at which point you're stuck trying to season them to death.

Even though it's slightly unrelated I would think pepper spray would be a good choice for non-lethal incapacitation. It would simply blur a players vision for four or five minutes.

The same effect could be achieved with rubber ball ammo, like what police forces use to quell riots.

http://www.keepshooting.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/2/12ga-rubber-bullets.jpg

If you fire first,you should render them unconcious IMO.

That,there is no danger of him firing as well.

It's good and you are right,but please hear me out on this.

Peper spray ammo and rubber ammo would not be something common

in the looting table of a post Apocalyptic State.But unlike salt,you can craft your own ammunition.

So it's non-leathal and common ;)

Unconscious? How does salt render someone unconscious? It hurts as hell, probably does some damage, and potentially ruins eyes and teeth, if it hits the head. But I don't think that would really be represented in-game, and thus the rock salt shells would have no effect except pissing the victim off. 

• Like 1

^ What he said.

You fire anything at me, you're getting 7.62mm Ball coming back at you.

I have never been shot at with rock salt.

But in my opinion i don't think if i did,i would have the strenght

to move one inch(the salt penetrates your skin and numbs your whole body from the pain).

Here in Greece many people are using it,as an alternative against possible thieves.

I can vouch that this stuff is very effective.

There's no doubt rock salt would hurt but its not going to render a person incapacitated. Furthermore in most cases the shot is finer than bird-shot which means outside a range of ten yards it could be heavily mitigated by a sweatsheet and jeans. I'm fairly certain other than point-blank blasting somebody in the mouth with rocksalt that its designed to scare people off instead of incapacitating them. I don't want you to think I'm blatantly flaming your post, deadman, I just disagree with the power behind rocksalt.

There's no doubt rock salt would hurt but its not going to render a person incapacitated. Furthermore in most cases the shot is finer than bird-shot which means outside a range of ten yards it could be heavily mitigated by a sweatsheet and jeans. I'm fairly certain other than point-blank blasting somebody in the mouth with rocksalt that its designed to scare people off instead of incapacitating them. I don't want you to think I'm blatantly flaming your post, deadman, I just disagree with the power behind rocksalt.

Lol,no dude.I apreciate you feedback more than anything.

That's the point,of a discussion.I thought it would be a good alternative for the non lethal weponary.

The shells are easy to craft and salt is something that is more common than black powder.

The dude in the above video said at 3:15 that it could kill at point blank (if he knows what he's saying)